ADVERTISEMENT

Feels damn good to have Riley as HC

I need to see more games to say yes or no on Riley yet. We have had flashes of greatness from players and coaches and probably a few more flashes of head scratching stupidity. That is to be expected some from new coaching staff and schemes. So hard to know if the bonehead issues are from that or from poor coaching in general. I don't think that will be answered for sure until a few more games.

I still think the West is ours to lose, but a lot of coaching needs to happen in the next two weeks.
I can get with that school of thought, but damn -- it's gonna take a f ton of coaching.

GBR

Reading some of these threads tonight I can't believe some people think we be doing better with Peelini and be 3-0.

We'll have bigger games to play down the road that will be more important to win.

Glad Riley is our head coach and not Peelini.
Am I glad riley is coach over coach bo? Yes. Is coach riley long-term answer? Too early to tell but I'm skeptical

Reading some of these threads tonight I can't believe some people think we be doing better with Peelini and be 3-0.

We'll have bigger games to play down the road that will be more important to win.

Glad Riley is our head coach and not Peelini.
Yep...between those two choices I am glad we have Riley too.

Reactions: blackbones
None of us know, and that is the game of faith. People didn't think Osborne had it until he did. I'm not saying Riley is the answer or not but I can tell you I'd rather fall in the positive thinking camp that believes what is possible vs what hurdles are in the way.

Reactions: timnsun
Riley is a huge step up from Pelini, I just hope we don't cosgrove D with the DB's please tell me the players are taught to go up and challenge the ball still? That is my main concern that I've seen so far. The rest is recruiting.

I always thought Osborne would lead us to greatness. Just a sense that he got more from less and at some point he was going to get the players. His consistency was the tell for me. Teams were consistently well prepared. (But there were the Iowa St and Arizona St's along the way.)
I thought our team came out flat yesterday while Miami was ready. The first quarter was the difference. If we had not been so flat we might have won without drama. Is Riley a motivator? TO was had an understated way of getting the team to play with an edge.

Reactions: Tahoe78
I like Riley but do not like Banker and although not as important Read. The problem is Riley/Banker are tied together the same as Callahan/Cosgrove

Without a good defense nothing else will matter and NU football will continue its decline obscurity

I Have To Agree That I Love Riley.
Humbleness And Honesty Are Priceless.
He was asked after the game what the deal was with the lack of energy to start the game.
His response: what we All will have to go back and look at exactly what we did and change whatever we can to do a better job next time.
Something cali and bo both had a problem doing was admitting they possibly did something wrong and admitting They may need to change some things to do better next time.
More Respect Earned.

Last edited:
Reactions: StrongArm517
I like Riley but do not like Banker and although not as important Read. The problem is Riley/Banker are tied together the same as Callahan/Cosgrove

Without a good defense nothing else will matter and NU football will continue its decline obscurity
pray this isn't the case, hopefully no one, no where could be as stubborn as Cos. That was disaster from the start.

I Have To Agree That I Love Riley.
Humbleness And Honesty Are Priceless.
He was asked after the game what the deal was with the lack of energy to start the game.
His response: what we All will have to go back and look at exactly what we did and change whatever we can to do a better job next time.
Something cali and bo both had a problem doing was admitting they possibly did something wrong and admitting They may need to change some things to do better next time.
More Respect Earned.
I agree 100%...If DPE was playing this season it would be very conceivable that we would be 3-0.

When I think about the fact that this team with very limited talent for a Nebraska team, is a couple of plays away from being 3-0 and Tommy Armstrong looks like a completely different player from 12 short months ago, I have tip my hat to Riley and think that things are only going to get better from here on out.

At least a nice guy losing national tv games seems to be less offensive to the fan base than losing the games and being embarrassed by Bo's insanity. But 1-2 sure makes the rest of the season seem like a steep mountain -- and he's too old to be starting a ten-year plan.

From someone that saw his first game in the late 50's...If we would have had the internet during the first years of the Osborne era the haters would have been crying for a beheading...Don't know how many can remember the picture of TO getting off the plane after he took a trip to Colorado for an interview...The vocal minority was screaming good riddance...Character does matter and I will take MR over either of the last 2 coaches in a heart beat...I am proud to say that I support MR 100%.

Glad Riley is our guy but after 3 games the only visual difference from the previous staff is qb and wr improvement....its gonna take a few years for the real results to show

Any fan that thought it wouldn't take a couple years was either fooling themselves or just plain stupid. You note about time is spot on.

Yep. Guys let me say this again and I will say it until some of you understand it, 1/3 of our travel roster is comprised of walk-ons . How good do
you expect any team to be with 1/3 of the roster as walk-ons? Let`s get real guys.

Yep. Guys let me say this again and I will say it until some of you understand it, 1/3 of our travel roster is comprised of walk-ons . How good do
you expect any team to be with 1/3 of the roster as walk-ons? Let`s get real guys.

Bingo. We need to process the roster, sign some JUCOs, and have two large classes in a row with 2016 and 2017.

Ouch. I didn't know that. That says a bunch.

Reactions: Archie Graham
I would love to be 3-0. However, I know of the turd that PeLLLLini left NU. Bo tried his best to destroy the team with that last meeting. Honestly, I love Riley. Even if he proves not to be the one to win a championship he still has restored respectability to our program. It may take a couple of years to restock the talent to make us competitive once again. In the meantime I can hold my head up high and not be embarrassed by our coach or our program.

Thanks for this thread. The Bo-ners have been out in force after each loss. Most on here are level headed and just need to take a deep breath.

depth is a major concern - but I only see two players starting that were walkons and one of those is a WR with DPE hurt the other is OL - not saying we do not have depth problem for sure and that we are not lean in some areas but this still does not explain the first quarter

Mike Riley is, by all appearances, a standup human being. He is the kind of person you want heading the FB program you support. As far as this season, I want to win and I was disappointed in the general level of play yesterday, save Tommy, Westy and a few others. But HCMR should get some kind of grace period, should he not? Folks have pointed out the dependence on walkons. I do not know what our historical reliance on walkons has been in terms of numbers. But it's likely that to be competitive at the level most of us want will take a couple of recruiting cycles with more hits than misses.

depth is a major concern - but I only see two players starting that were walkons and one of those is a WR with DPE hurt the other is OL - not saying we do not have depth problem for sure and that we are not lean in some areas but this still does not explain the first quarter

Keep your fingers crossed we don`t have a few starting at LB soon.

Depth is an issue...but few walk-ons were playing meaningful minutes. The reality is that we won the last three quarters by a wide margin. I will say it was good coaching and the fact that we have some players.

...also consider that 9 players on the travel roster were true freshmen recruited by Riley.

Then, take a look at our 2012 and 2013 classes that should comprise the strength of our squad. A lot of misses there.

Riley inherited enough talent on the roster to win the Big Ten West. Even with the walk-ons, we have equal or more talent than any team in the division. Northwestern looks like the team to beat, and they are almost all 2 and 3 star recruits.

Riley inherited enough talent on the roster to win the Big Ten West. Even with the walk-ons, we have equal or more talent than any team in the division. Northwestern looks like the team to beat, and they are almost all 2 and 3 star recruits.

Talent is only one part of the discussion, one still has to develop that talent while building depth to fill behind the front line. And we have none to fill in 2015, that's a major problem.

For some strange reason, I feel better as a Husker fan at 1-2 with Riley than I would with Peelini in charge at 3-0. Banker is still a big concern.

I'll be the first to admit I thought Riley was a bad hire. And so far he's proving me right! I see quite a few losses heading your way this season & in future seasons to come.
Thanks for letting us know. Can you see the actual records, or just quite a few losses?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT