ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite Husker Fan?

Nebraska gamedays were special days with my late grandmother. As a native Nebraskan she would straight up scream at the TV more than anyone I can remember. "STOP EM! STOP EM! GET HIM! GET HIM!!!!"" She was so loud that my Dad and uncles had to leave the room because she would literally hurt their eardrums.

Lmao, she taught me so well.

I have to include a second with my stepdad. He's not quite on Grandma's level, but he's a yeller too. I don't have kids yet, but if/when I do, I hope someday I'm their favorite Husker fan.

S'matter with you guys?
gabrielle-union-dwyane-wade-kids-choice-sports-awards-kaavia-07.jpg

Anyone remember "Mad Mike"? He had a drum and would go from section to section during games in the '80s and fire up the crowd. There was another guy who also went from section to section to lead cheers. I think his name was "Husker Bob" and he had a puppet. He seemed drunk most of the time (Bob, not the puppet). ;^)

Anyone remember "Mad Mike"? He had a drum and would go from section to section during games in the '80s and fire up the crowd. There was another guy who also went from section to section to lead cheers. I think his name was "Husker Bob" and he had a puppet. He seemed drunk most of the time (Bob, not the puppet). ;^)

I think he got banned from the stadium or politely asked to end his antics. Ticked me off when it happened.

Personally I like Terrance Crawford the most. Great for the culture.

+1 for Crawford, but will add Jordan Burroughs

Would love if Frost could get Crawford to speak to the team or something. Frost talks about excellence and being great, and we have one of the greatest fighters of all time (who is also a huge fan) right down the road. He is really something special. The Lakers do something similar with a "genius series" where high achievers from various fields speak to the team.

Would be cool to do here with the folks listed on this thread.

Yep remember them well. Husker Bob was a tall lanky guy that wore blues Brothers glasses if I remember correctly. Didn't mad Mike also do KC Chief's games??

Yep remember them well. Husker Bob was a tall lanky guy that wore blues Brothers glasses if I remember correctly. Didn't mad Mike also do KC Chief's games??

Mad Mike also wrote a Husker Song

'I Love Bein’ a Husker'
Performed by: Mad Mike

In the style of: An extraordinarily loud guy -- think George C. Scott in “Dr. Strangelove” describing the low-flying B-52 -- yelling over a gospel-y piano and backing chorus that “We’re on the move to the top.”

Key Lyric: “If you want to to have some fun / You come and watch Nebraska run / We’ll run and dance all over their head / So they’ll remember Go! Big! Red!”

Behind the Husker music: If you attended games in the early- to mid-'80s, the name Mad Mike might ring familiar even if the song doesn’t. That was when Mike Lyons, better known as Mad Mike, brought his little red drum to Memorial Stadium and beat it into oblivion. He ran through the stands, leading chants, stirring the crowd.

“I don’t try to be a show,” he said in 1981. “I try to be a spirit in the stands.”

Lyons left Nebraska for a paying gig as a Kansas fan in 1985, but not before he cut a 45 professing his love of bein’ a Husker.

https://books.google.com/books?id=z...e&q="Mad Mike" nebraska football drum&f=false

Tom Larson, now a University of Nebraska-Lincoln music professor, produced the record at Lincoln’s Mastertrax Studios in 1984. He didn’t recall much about the session but said Lyons wanted to use the melody from “Movin’ On Up” (the theme song of “The Jeffersons”) as the song's backbone.

“They said absolutely not,” Larson said.

So they changed the melody, but that didn’t change Mad Mike. He yelled his face off on top of the Jeffersonian track.

“He was a true gentleman and a pleasure to work with,” Larson said. “Mad Mike was a character that he immediately could slip into once he was in front of a crowd or a microphone.”

Reactions: huskerfan66
Yes he did. If I remember the university wanted him to do something and it pissed him off and I believe never came back

Reactions: BradWesley
Husker Bob was a guy named Bob Rowe. I don't remember Blues Brothers glasses. He wore a white cap and red blazer and carried a cane/walking stick with corn ears attached to it. He made the rounds of different stadium sections and pumped the crowd up. Bob was a heavy drinker and in addition to being pretty lit up at the games spent a lot of nights in the downtown bars. I had drinks with him at Barrys a number of times. I think he sold insurance during the day. I never saw him at PO Pears because that wasn't a place I preferred to hang out at, but I saw him chatting up and dancing with girls half his age at Starship Enterprise a couple times. Here is a link to an article about him.
https://nebnewspapers.unl.edu/lccn/sn96080312/1982-07-08/ed-1/seq-2.pdf

Message board Iowa fans are my favorite husker fans. They obviously have a thing for husker football and they are amusing yet harmless.

Husker Bob was a guy named Bob Rowe. I don't remember Blues Brothers glasses. He wore a white cap and red blazer and carried a cane/walking stick with corn ears attached to it. He made the rounds of different stadium sections and pumped the crowd up. Bob was a heavy drinker and in addition to being pretty lit up at the games spent a lot of nights in the downtown bars. I had drinks with him at Barrys a number of times. I think he sold insurance during the day. I never saw him at PO Pears because that wasn't a place I preferred to hang out at, but I saw him chatting up and dancing with girls half his age at Starship Enterprise a couple times. Here is a link to an article about him.
https://nebnewspapers.unl.edu/lccn/sn96080312/1982-07-08/ed-1/seq-2.pdf
During my college days my student tickets were in east stadium around the 5 yard line about 15 rows up something like that for one year anyway. I always remember him wearing his sunglasses when he was over there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT