ADVERTISEMENT

Farniok to Cowboys...7th round

Nick Gates took abuse as an OT in college. Now he's a starting C for NYG. Alex Lewis took a beating in college. He's had a solid career with Baltimore. Maybe Farniok was out of position in college as well and will succeed as a Guard in the NFL.
Or maybe someone worked with them on blocking technique. How do you explain the apparent higher level of play?

2 nfl draft choices on the o-line and in 3 years this staff still hasn't managed a winning season ... it's almost criminal

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
Nick Gates took abuse as an OT in college. Now he's a starting C for NYG. Alex Lewis took a beating in college. He's had a solid career with Baltimore. Maybe Farniok was out of position in college as well and will succeed as a Guard in the NFL.
both of those guys were FAR more athletic than Farniok in college. Farniok is a huge guy. He probably helped his chance of sticking as a practice squad guy playing all 3 spots on the O line at NU. His stint where he capably snapped the ball as a center was big for him. Still shocked to see him get drafted.

Reactions: zamzman
Or maybe someone worked with them on blocking technique. How do you explain the apparent higher level of play?
Both of those guys took abuse for their mouths not so much for their play. Both of those guys were really good college O linemen. They were way more athletic than Farniok but Farniok is a huge guy who has played tackle, guard and center. That helps him.

2 nfl draft choices on the o-line and in 3 years this staff still hasn't managed a winning season ... it's almost criminal
Neither of those guys were recruited by Frost. His first hastily assembled class was full of reaches. So that means to fully evaluate Frost's recruiting and development I think we better wait for the guys coming out in 2 years. And oh yeah...get help.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Farniok crushed his pro day and the pre draft testing.

He scored a 9.89 RAS out of a possible 10.00. 1131 OG have been tested from 1987 to 2021. Farniok's grade would be good enough for 13th overall in that timeframe and he was #1 in this draft class in those metrics by a pretty good margin.

Lots of NFL scouts fall in love with how a guy does in shorts and a tee-shirt and ignore game film.

If the Cowboys can convince Farniok not to take plays off, they might have gotten a late-round bargain.

In yesterday's pregame, the talking heads made a big deal about competition for playing time on the offensive line being intense, predicting that this will result in improved line play. I hope that's true, because we sure haven't seen it for a long, long time.

If the Cowboys can convince Farniok not to take plays off, they might have gotten a late-round bargain.

In yesterday's pregame, the talking heads made a big deal about competition for playing time on the offensive line being intense, predicting that this will result in improved line play. I hope that's true, because we sure haven't seen it for a long, long time.
I just don't see it. He moves his feet like they're cemented in 5 gallon buckets. He's huge. He played center and can snap the ball. He's a smart guy but man, athletically he's limited. JMO.

I just don't see it. He moves his feet like they're cemented in 5 gallon buckets. He's huge. He played center and can snap the ball. He's a smart guy but man, athletically he's limited. JMO.
I agree he's athletically limited, but not as limited as he showed at times. His pro day numbers confirm that.

I agree he's athletically limited, but not as limited as he showed at times. His pro day numbers confirm that.
I hope he signs a big contract and plays 10 years for the Cowboys. I just think he was a pretty average at best O lineman. Hope he proves me wrong. The Cowboys are desperate for O linemen.

I hope he signs a big contract and plays 10 years for the Cowboys. I just think he was a pretty average at best O lineman. Hope he proves me wrong. The Cowboys are desperate for O linemen.
He's big, strong and it looks like he understands how to use leverage. I think the biggest reason he was somewhat subpar in Lincoln is that he was constantly being moved around and no matter what position he played on the line was being forced to account for the guy next to him. I'd put money down on farniok having a longer NFL career than Jaimes.

In today’s NFL every position along the OL is considered premium. If you are an OL prospect with the right athletic profile chances are you are going to get drafted.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT