ADVERTISEMENT

Farniok bumps NU....

We moved on a long time ago. I'd fall over if that changed.

So if 21 it won't be a full class, then?
Not trying to be a smart ass---I've never been able to understand how class numbers are decided, etc.

Correct. 23 is a full class.

I see. Well I hope that doesn't happen. If it does I hope we have some deserving walk-ons and if we do I have no problem awarding them for their efforts. Or would we rather hold onto them for next class?
But I gotta believe Riley has something behind the curtain just in case, and I'm sure they know more about how kids are leaning than we do so if he knows a kid is leaning a different way someone is out there working on a potential back-up.

Maybe if we don't pull said recruit, then maybe we can give that juco CB from Cali a commitable offer since he wants to be a Husker. If theres a couple guys worthy of the offers and we miss on Fitz, Simmons and the other guy (Not adding Lamar Jackson because i think hes our silent commit and will be offical Tueaday) then we may as well add the other recruits if there goid enough. Whats the chances of getting that Juco LB Williams back if we miss on a few kids? Any shot or is that ship LONG GONE?

So realistically, to get us out of the 20s in team rankings and into the teens we need Lamar Jackson , FitzPatrick and somehow another 4 star kid?

You could get there with a 5.7 rated 3 star too...e.g., if we were able to get Simmons (I think he goes to Clemson) or Allen...I mean, again, holding every other team constant as they sit now. But yes, IF we added Fitz and Jackson...and THEN added one of those 5.7 3-stars, that would add 90 points for that player, but also kick out Bootle's 60 points (since he'd be lowest rated among the revised top 20 once you add Fitz and Jackson)...so you'd net 30 points and end up at 1,857...which right now would put us at #15.

However, other teams around our class ranking are likely to move some too, particularly those that also haven't even filled out up to the 20 commits that Rivals counts...e.g., UT, Oregon, PSU, ASU, USC, and OU.

I mean, regardless of final ranking, if we get Fitz and Jackson along with the Farniok signing, I'm happy with the class...even if we end up not adding a couple more to fill out the class and end up ranked around were we are now...25th or so. I think we'll end up around 22 when all is said and done.

Last edited:
I fully agree, we already landed Farniok, sounds like Lamar Jackson is our 2nd silent commit and will make it offical Tuesday comming up and if we nail with Fitzpatrick (hopefully Riley and Williams hammer there in home with him) and get him committed and thats it and we get no one else. Id be stoked too. Hopefully we pull Fitzpatrick Monday and we manage Chase Allen in there. We could use the TEs.

Reactions: msuwest4
If we end up in the top 15 after signing day then I will but I don't see that happening because other schools are going to close in on their last minute guys as well. While as of now it's much better than where we were but still a ways to go. If we want to compete for titles then we need to be in the top 15 a few years in a row or it's simply not going to happen. I hope we aren't satisfied for a 19th or 17th ranked recruiting class that is only capable of getting us ranked in the top 25 again. We're Nebraska and we only settle for Championships!!!

To #22 at 247 and #25th at Rivals. If we land Jackson, Fitz, Simmons and Allen we will be top 15. Even if we get 2 of those 4 easily top 20. Every negative whiner who was complaining about recruiting needs to line up in this thread and pay your respects and eat some crow. Coaches got this!!! ALL N AND GBR!!!
Riley, aka Nebraska, picked up one, for sure that will be great, Farniok, wish he was coming to Michigan.

If we end up in the top 15 after signing day then I will but I don't see that happening because other schools are going to close in on their last minute guys as well. While as of now it's much better than where we were but still a ways to go. If we want to compete for titles then we need to be in the top 15 a few years in a row or it's simply not going to happen. I hope we aren't satisfied for a 19th or 17th ranked recruiting class that is only capable of getting us ranked in the top 25 again. We're Nebraska and we only settle for Championships!!!
I get this and I don't think people are saying you're wrong, but we've got to start somewhere. This class is rounding out very nicely, and could be a springboard to future classes. We are already in on some great prospects for 2017, which could be that class you are talking about.

Nebraska has been irrelevant for awhile now. These coaches aren't the flip the switch coaches that automatically bring in top 10 classes from the get go. They ramp up, and next year looks promising. If we have a good season this coming season and a good recruiting year I think you will begin to see a reemergence of Nebraska football and an excitement among high school players who will see that Nebraska is trending up.

What these coaches do so well in recruiting is the relationship building and selling the program. There are so many disadvantages to Nebraska in terms of location, but these coaches do a great job selling our advantages (tradition and facilities, fans, etc).

I believe good things are coming...

What these coaches do so well in recruiting is the relationship building and selling the program. There are so many disadvantages to Nebraska in terms of location, but these coaches do a great job selling our advantages (tradition and facilities, fans, etc).

I don't think people have any idea how important this particular issue is. A new staff came into a program that was winning nine games and year. We had a rough transition season - no question about it. Coaches all over the country were continuously talking trash about our coaching staff to committed players/targets. Numerous recruits mentioned that other programs would suggest Riley would be fired soon. Despite this we held on to all of the previously committed guys, kept all of our commits that got on board early, and we are closing on our major targets. The reason this is happening is because this staff absolutely gets that recruiting is about relationship building. That's the reason we are finishing with a strong class, and, it's absolutely a reason to be optimistic as we move forward as a program and start winning more games.

I get this and I don't think people are saying you're wrong, but we've got to start somewhere. This class is rounding out very nicely, and could be a springboard to future classes. We are already in on some great prospects for 2017, which could be that class you are talking about.

Nebraska has been irrelevant for awhile now. These coaches aren't the flip the switch coaches that automatically bring in top 10 classes from the get go. They ramp up, and next year looks promising. If we have a good season this coming season and a good recruiting year I think you will begin to see a reemergence of Nebraska football and an excitement among high school players who will see that Nebraska is trending up.

I believe good things are coming...

The 2017 class looks really bright. KJJ, Gebbia and Holmes all look to be Husker leans or at the very least, interested in Nebraska (too bad Calabasas doesn't have any prospects along the line!). When is the last time an out of state 5* kid was considering Nebraska?

The 2017 class looks really bright. KJJ, Gebbia and Holmes all look to be Husker leans or at the very least, interested in Nebraska (too bad Calabasas doesn't have any prospects along the line!). When is the last time an out of state 5* kid was considering Nebraska?
Marlon Lucky?

Lamar Jackson? Isn't he a 5* on TOS?

To #22 at 247 and #25th at Rivals. If we land Jackson, Fitz, Simmons and Allen we will be top 15. Even if we get 2 of those 4 easily top 20. Every negative whiner who was complaining about recruiting needs to line up in this thread and pay your respects and eat some crow. Coaches got this!!! ALL N AND GBR!!!
635503664623890108-Farniok08.jpg

On paper, it’s easy to see why Washington offensive tackle Matt Farniok drew such heavy interest from so many major conference programs.

At 6-foot-5, 316 pounds, he’s built like a college offensive lineman – more specifically, he’s a Big Ten prototype.

“He’s definitely got the frame and length of a natural college offensive lineman and really as a run-blocker. He stood apart from some of the other guys (at the U.S. All-American Bowl),” said Scout.com national recruiting analyst Greg Powers. “He’s a guy that can just drive block. He gets off the ball pretty quick and can manhandle defensive linemen at the point of attack.”

“(Farniok) has got some edge and some nastiness to him,” said ESPN national recruiting analyst Craig Haubert. “Obviously, there’s some things to work on, but he does some little things well, like the way he uses his hands with positioning and creating leverage. I think there’s a lot of upside there.”

But the importance of Farniok’s decision to pick the Huskers over Iowa and Michigan State lies more in where he hails from than his talents as a player.

When you’re a program that’s entrenched in fertile recruiting territory (i.e. California, Texas and the Southeast), missing out on a four- or five-star recruit is usually forgivable. The talent pool for those teams is deep enough that they stand a chance of compensating for such a loss. But when you’re isolated from those football hotbeds, the pain of losing out on a highly-touted recruit from within your footprint is much more pronounced and can linger for quite some time.

In 2007, Nebraska lost out on Parkston lineman Riley Reiff, who switched his commitment to Iowa when the Cornhuskers fired coach Bill Callahan. Reiff flipped from defensive to offensive line with the Hawkeyes and went on to become a first-round draft pick. Obviously, that loss would have been much more pronounced if the Huskers weren’t still in the Big 12 at the time, but there certainly was a parallel between the importance of Reiff and Farniok.

Washington’s Matt Farniok chooses Nebraska
“If Nebraska didn’t get (Farniok), I think he was going to be the kind of guy that Nebraska fans were going to hear, ‘Man, it would have been nice to have Matt Farniok,’” Sean Callahan of HuskersOnline.com said. “There aren’t that many guys like him in the surrounding footprint of Nebraska.”

According to Haubert, there have been fewer than 20 four-star recruits from Iowa and South Dakota (the two states closest to Lincoln) since 2006. Taking it a step further, whereas other Power 5 schools pull their players from within 300 feet of campus, Nebraska’s average distance is 800 miles.

When the Huskers signed Nate Gerry, a three-star cornerback from Sioux Falls Washington, in June 2012, it was their first scholarship signee from South Dakota since 2003 and just their third since 1997 – and he qualifies as more of a “diamond in the rough” find than a big-time signing.

“Gerry was a good get, but we didn’t know at the time how good of a get Gerry was,” said 93.7 “The Ticket” KNTK program director John Gaskins, who used to co-host a sports radio show on KWSN in Sioux Falls. “I think just because (Farniok is) four stars, this even felt like a more dramatically successful pickup because of what was at stake.”

For Nebraska, finding highly-touted recruits in its own backyard is rare. That’s why it went to such great lengths to recruit Farniok, even after Mike Riley took over for Bo Pelini in Dec. 2014.

gerrycover.jpg

When Washington graduate Nate Gerry signed with Nebraska, it was the Huskers’ first scholarship signee from South Dakota since 2003 and just their third since 1997.

Last year, former offensive line coach Barney Cotton flew one of the team’s private jets to see Farniok play in Rapid City. This season, Riley flew the jet out to Sioux Falls on multiple occasions on his own to watch Farniok play, plus numerous trips by his assistant coaches.

“You could argue that Nebraska has spent more time, effort and resources to recruit Matt Farniok the last several years – more money, more resources and time than on any recruit ever,” said Callahan. “As far as a guy they’ve wanted and targeted since really his freshman year, it’s almost amazing to think how much time and resources they’ve put in.”

“You have to give some credit to Mike Riley and his staff for seeing that they had a really good player in an area where you don’t necessarily get a lot of Power 5-type prospects,” Hubert said. “You start losing those players who are within an arm’s reach of your program, it makes everything you have to do more difficult.”

As for how he fits in with the Huskers, the depth chart is set up for Farniok to compete for playing time immediately. Nebraska enters spring camp with just four offensive tackles on its roster. Of those four, only one – redshirt freshman Nick Gates – brings any sort of significant experience.

“The tackle position at Nebraska is so wide-open,” Callahan said. “Matt has a great opportunity to compete and be a two-deep guy or even be a starter, very early in his career just based on where the tackle position is at right now.”

Elite 45 captain: Matt Farniok ‘a rare talent’
Isolating analysis to what he brings as a player, Farniok figures to be a vital piece for Riley as he works to re-establish the blue-collar, hard-nosed brand of football Nebraska (and the B1G as a whole) is known for. But on a much larger scale, his value to the program – no matter how his career in Lincoln unfolds – has already been established, and it has nothing to do with his qualities as a player.

“It would have almost been a bigger deal if they didn’t get Farniok,” Gaskins said. “Even if he doesn’t pan out, I still think the years and the time and the effort and the worry was all worth it because of what landing him represents.”

Andrus Peat from the 2013 class is the last to have real interest in us.(That I recall) Before that, Owa Odighizuwa in 2010. We also had commits from Blaine Gabbert and Simi Kuli in 2008 before the coaching change.

As good as that 2011 club was, it also provides a cautionary tale. Four-star prospects Ryan Klachko and Tyler Moore combined to play nine games at Nebraska before transferring to Illinois and Florida, respectively. Givens Price started just three career games before being moved to defense as a senior, and Ryne Reeves and Zach Sterup didn't start until their senior and junior years, respectively. All in all, the class combined for 38 starts - a fine number, but well below what would have been expected from such a well-regarded class.

Recruiting rankings are generally pretty accurate and Rivals' analysts work tirelessly to get them right. But predicting the future isn't easy, and some players are misjudged. Expecting the 2016 class to change the future of Nebraska's offensive line probably isn't fair.

But Mike Riley and Mike Cavanaugh did a great job putting this group together, and it should pay dividends down the road. It's impossible to predict exactly how the 2016 class will pan out, but spirits are high after Farniok's commitment, and deservedly so. Hopefully this class pans out better than the 2011 group.

Reactions: timnsun
635503664623890108-Farniok08.jpg

On paper, it’s easy to see why Washington offensive tackle Matt Farniok drew such heavy interest from so many major conference programs.

At 6-foot-5, 316 pounds, he’s built like a college offensive lineman – more specifically, he’s a Big Ten prototype.

“He’s definitely got the frame and length of a natural college offensive lineman and really as a run-blocker. He stood apart from some of the other guys (at the U.S. All-American Bowl),” said Scout.com national recruiting analyst Greg Powers. “He’s a guy that can just drive block. He gets off the ball pretty quick and can manhandle defensive linemen at the point of attack.”

“(Farniok) has got some edge and some nastiness to him,” said ESPN national recruiting analyst Craig Haubert. “Obviously, there’s some things to work on, but he does some little things well, like the way he uses his hands with positioning and creating leverage. I think there’s a lot of upside there.”

But the importance of Farniok’s decision to pick the Huskers over Iowa and Michigan State lies more in where he hails from than his talents as a player.

When you’re a program that’s entrenched in fertile recruiting territory (i.e. California, Texas and the Southeast), missing out on a four- or five-star recruit is usually forgivable. The talent pool for those teams is deep enough that they stand a chance of compensating for such a loss. But when you’re isolated from those football hotbeds, the pain of losing out on a highly-touted recruit from within your footprint is much more pronounced and can linger for quite some time.

In 2007, Nebraska lost out on Parkston lineman Riley Reiff, who switched his commitment to Iowa when the Cornhuskers fired coach Bill Callahan. Reiff flipped from defensive to offensive line with the Hawkeyes and went on to become a first-round draft pick. Obviously, that loss would have been much more pronounced if the Huskers weren’t still in the Big 12 at the time, but there certainly was a parallel between the importance of Reiff and Farniok.

Washington’s Matt Farniok chooses Nebraska
“If Nebraska didn’t get (Farniok), I think he was going to be the kind of guy that Nebraska fans were going to hear, ‘Man, it would have been nice to have Matt Farniok,’” Sean Callahan of HuskersOnline.com said. “There aren’t that many guys like him in the surrounding footprint of Nebraska.”

According to Haubert, there have been fewer than 20 four-star recruits from Iowa and South Dakota (the two states closest to Lincoln) since 2006. Taking it a step further, whereas other Power 5 schools pull their players from within 300 feet of campus, Nebraska’s average distance is 800 miles.

When the Huskers signed Nate Gerry, a three-star cornerback from Sioux Falls Washington, in June 2012, it was their first scholarship signee from South Dakota since 2003 and just their third since 1997 – and he qualifies as more of a “diamond in the rough” find than a big-time signing.

“Gerry was a good get, but we didn’t know at the time how good of a get Gerry was,” said 93.7 “The Ticket” KNTK program director John Gaskins, who used to co-host a sports radio show on KWSN in Sioux Falls. “I think just because (Farniok is) four stars, this even felt like a more dramatically successful pickup because of what was at stake.”

For Nebraska, finding highly-touted recruits in its own backyard is rare. That’s why it went to such great lengths to recruit Farniok, even after Mike Riley took over for Bo Pelini in Dec. 2014.

gerrycover.jpg

When Washington graduate Nate Gerry signed with Nebraska, it was the Huskers’ first scholarship signee from South Dakota since 2003 and just their third since 1997.

Last year, former offensive line coach Barney Cotton flew one of the team’s private jets to see Farniok play in Rapid City. This season, Riley flew the jet out to Sioux Falls on multiple occasions on his own to watch Farniok play, plus numerous trips by his assistant coaches.

“You could argue that Nebraska has spent more time, effort and resources to recruit Matt Farniok the last several years – more money, more resources and time than on any recruit ever,” said Callahan. “As far as a guy they’ve wanted and targeted since really his freshman year, it’s almost amazing to think how much time and resources they’ve put in.”

“You have to give some credit to Mike Riley and his staff for seeing that they had a really good player in an area where you don’t necessarily get a lot of Power 5-type prospects,” Hubert said. “You start losing those players who are within an arm’s reach of your program, it makes everything you have to do more difficult.”

As for how he fits in with the Huskers, the depth chart is set up for Farniok to compete for playing time immediately. Nebraska enters spring camp with just four offensive tackles on its roster. Of those four, only one – redshirt freshman Nick Gates – brings any sort of significant experience.

“The tackle position at Nebraska is so wide-open,” Callahan said. “Matt has a great opportunity to compete and be a two-deep guy or even be a starter, very early in his career just based on where the tackle position is at right now.”

Elite 45 captain: Matt Farniok ‘a rare talent’
Isolating analysis to what he brings as a player, Farniok figures to be a vital piece for Riley as he works to re-establish the blue-collar, hard-nosed brand of football Nebraska (and the B1G as a whole) is known for. But on a much larger scale, his value to the program – no matter how his career in Lincoln unfolds – has already been established, and it has nothing to do with his qualities as a player.

“It would have almost been a bigger deal if they didn’t get Farniok,” Gaskins said. “Even if he doesn’t pan out, I still think the years and the time and the effort and the worry was all worth it because of what landing him represents.”

Who's the blond in this picture? I've met Matts father (not his step father) and I doubt this is his mother but maybe it is.....if it is his father out kicked the coverage clearly! Also we missed out on Allen and Fant apparently so you can drop those two from discussion

Who's the blond in this picture? I've met Matts father (not his step father) and I doubt this is his mother but maybe it is.....if it is his father out kicked the coverage clearly! Also we missed out on Allen and Fant apparently so you can drop those two from discussion
Never mentioned we would get Fant. I think we close with Jackson, Fitzpatrick. Isiah Simmons 50-50 right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT