ADVERTISEMENT

Farming

jkozi

Walk On
Gold Member
Sep 14, 2006
I have a son who is 13 years old. We live on 50 acres in east central Nebraska. His dream is to farm someday but in all reality he has no chance. What do I tell him. Farming has become a complete monopoly of very few people controlling almost all ag production and this big boys club will not allow anyone to join unless they were born into this exclusive club. I grew up on this small farm and watched my dad break his back everyday to eek out a minimal existence. All I see now is the big boys driving 60 thousand dollar pickups building 300 thousand dollar homes and getting vacations to Hawaii paid for each winter. I know the government will not bail me out if I come up short each year on a product I produce (subsidies). This country I thought was a place you could do anything if you put your mind to it but that is not true in this circumstance. My brother tried to do it on his own and is a financial ag expert and was known in northern Nebraska as a very good farmer but just lost it all due to not owning anything just renting. Someone explain this to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News