ADVERTISEMENT

"fantastic lies"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching it. Nifong is a POS. Law enforcement was a POS. There are bad people in every walk of life, but it is the absolute worst when they are in a position of power like that. And again, so many in this country are sheep who don't give a damn about merit.

I wonder how many innocent people Nifong railroaded before he came up against people who could afford good attorneys. There are a lot of Mike Nifongs functioning as DAs in America.
Yup. And the media hung those kids immediately. The sheep happily followed their lead.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I wonder how many innocent people Nifong railroaded before he came up against people who could afford good attorneys. There are a lot of Mike Nifongs functioning as DAs in America.
This is exactly right, not to mention law enforcement as well. Now I appreciate that law enforcement is a very difficult profession, and I believe that there are many more good than there are bad, but the bad ones really deserve a long life of sadness and misery.

Reactions: Crushinator
Seems familiar to many things today, claim racism and attack attack attack. Once the truth comes out, well there's still racism and you're just trying to say there isn't.

These events make real acts of racism harder to believe when the facts aren't immediately clear. It's why I get upset when fake claims don't get punished as harshly as they should. Glad some did get punished here in the case.

But wait.... shouldn't someone be punished even if it was false, because of their skin color???!!!

One frickin day that shitbag got. What a sick world.

Reactions: newAD
Did I just hear that Nifong got 1 day in jail for criminal contempt? A prosecutor who lied to the Court, and who was hiding evidence to try to get some teenagers put in prison for 20 years? That may be the worst thing I heard in this entire episode. And amen to the players wrongfully accused of this by using their experience to do good.

Did I just hear that Nifong got 1 day in jail for criminal contempt? A prosecutor who lied to the Court, and who was hiding evidence to try to get some teenagers put in prison for 20 years? That may be the worst thing I heard in this entire episode. And amen to the players wrongfully accused of this by using their experience to do good.
Yup. Good for them. But in the long run, they handled it themselves. The truth came out without a mob picking up their cross (the opposite happened)

Reactions: baseball31ne
Just watched it. Great example of why I say you can't automatically believe the first thing you hear. This is why I fear when the masses do believe the first thing they hear, and make their mind up and there's no changing it.

This is why I did not jump on the Jameis Winston is guilty bandwagon. I've responded to numerous sexual assault calls, and this alleged victim.in this case is not unique.

This is why I fear politicians who could easily railroad an innocent person (including police officers) to appease any particular population, or to garner votes.

This is why I hate when the media is more worried about a good story and getting people riled up, then they are about getting their facts straight.

And finally, I never have, and never will be a Sergeant Gotlieb of the Durham PD. He either offed himself because he knew his life was ruined, or guilt, or both. I dont care how much I want to prove something, if the facts aren't there they aren't there. Thankfully, he is in the extreme minority. Most of us are smart enough to not risk our freedom to take another's away.

Definitely need to watch this one.

But wait.... shouldn't someone be punished even if it was false, because of their skin color???!!!

I think you missed the larger point which one player addressed at the end. It was eye opening for him but the sad fact is it is a reality for blacks and poor whites in America. So it was a case of class and race, those players didn't believe this can happen in America but black folks know it has been happening for a long time. I don't mean that most blacks convicted are innocent just that there are more than we want to believe.

Reactions: NDR
I think you missed the larger point which one player addressed at the end. It was eye opening for him but the sad fact is it is a reality for blacks and poor whites in America. So it was a case of class and race, those players didn't believe this can happen in America but black folks know it has been happening for a long time. I don't mean that most blacks convicted are innocent just that there are more than we want to believe.
No, I am fairly certain you missed my point.

That stuff cuts all directions. WHAT IF I TOLD YOU there are bad people in all manner of different shades, genders and nations?

A few miles from me, there was a big national drama about the cop who called in that he was pursuing some black guys on foot, then they found him dead.

Turned out he killed himself because he was about to be discovered for embezzlement, and tried to use that story to spare himself and his family the stigma of suicide. But don't tell that to all the people who got in a HUGE rush to use it as fuel to rail against Black Lives Matter. They shifted to claiming it was a conspiracy and a lie and yes he really was murdered.

What exactly has been happening for a long time?

What percentage cases do prosecutors bring charges and go on every TV station they can telling people a crime was committed when they KNOW there is no evidence to go forward?

How many prosecutors have been disbarred for such behavior since this case occurred?

What does these defendants being rich have to do with this case? If anything, them being rich is a factor that lead Nifong to push this case, thus their wealth worked against them. Had they been local life long residents of Durham, would Nifong have pushed as hard as he did? There was no evidence, but Nifong went on a TV crusade telling people there was. An inexperienced public defender would have been able to tear this case apart once it got to trial. It just would have taken longer to come out.

The larger point of this is that Nifong risked his profession, credibility, livelihood, and betrayed his professional responsibilities. The appropriate question is WHY? What factors and pressures exist in our society today, that would help influence someone in his position to act in this manner? That is what is scary, and that is what should be remembered about this case.

There is a huge difference between someone being wrongfully convicted (which does happen), and this fiasco. Prosecutors go forward with cases when there is evidence. They don't always have the smoking gun, but they have some evidence to proceed. Sometimes juries convict wrongly, but when that happens it doesn't mean that those prosecutors acted like Nifong, it just means that they were wrong.

The larger point in this should be that a sitting (in this case appointed) district attorney should never feel that he has to appease the public by wrongfully prosecuting a person, and he certainly should not ever lie to the public in order to try to get votes from a certain segment of the population. That is NOT justice.

Reactions: baseball31ne
That stuff cuts all directions. WHAT IF I TOLD YOU there are bad people in all manner of different shades, genders and nations?

A few miles from me, there was a big national drama about the cop who called in that he was pursuing some black guys on foot, then they found him dead.

Turned out he killed himself because he was about to be discovered for embezzlement, and tried to use that story to spare himself and his family the stigma of suicide. But don't tell that to all the people who got in a HUGE rush to use it as fuel to rail against Black Lives Matter. They shifted to claiming it was a conspiracy and a lie and yes he really was murdered.
Yes, but white people just have it easier. We need to always remember, and stress that point.

Only thing in this entire thread that surprises me, is that it took beav almost 12 hours to defend that lady. You're slipping beav.

That Officer's death in your story wasn't celebrated by anyone, nobody rioted, let alone burnt down a town, and nobody lost a job over a false accusation. I can see why you'd think the two are completely similar.

Last edited:
I loved it. Very appropriate for the times.

I know it was only 10 years ago but think how much worse it would be if that happened today with Twitter aand social media's rush to be the first to report without fact checking.

You are talking about Lt. Gliniewicz in Fox Lake? The suspects were allegedly 2 white males and 1 black male. That happened on September 1, 2015. IIRC I heard within days (like that was a Tuesday, so before the end of the work week) of his death, rumors out there about his death, and things not adding up.

You are talking about Lt. Gliniewicz in Fox Lake? The suspects were allegedly 2 white males and 1 black male. That happened on September 1, 2015. IIRC I heard within days (like that was a Tuesday, so before the end of the work week) of his death, rumors out there about his death, and things not adding up.

Thank you for the correct name, I screwed it up and since edited it.

Crystal Magnum is currently serving 14-18 yrs for murdering her boyfriend in 2013. She seemed to change

would have been interesting however I don't think she would have had much too add.

Pesky facts. Kind of like the 3 white guys that were responsible for San Bernardino. The media ran with that for a while. Too bad it was false from the start by simply listening to scanner traffic.

Beav. Let's try and stay on the thread topic.... unless that only matters when YOU want to change it up. Please let us know in advance of which of your self-made internets rules you are going to choose to follow.

Pesky facts. Kind of like the 3 white guys that were responsible for San Bernardino. The media ran with that for a while. Too bad it was false from the start by simply listening to scanner traffic.
You're right. The fact that he called in a couple white guys along with it means I'm totally making up the way people jumped the bandwagon on playing up the "war on cops" narrative and threw it in the face of BLM before he'd even made it to the coroner's fridge. Also making that up? The Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...iczs-death-to-push-the-war-on-cops-narrative/

Using media to try an prove your side (especially in this case) really hurts your point (or whatever narrative you are trying to push now). In your own words, let's stick to the thread topic. Some crybaby may get very upset if you don't.

Reactions: tarheelhusker
Using media to try an prove your side (especially in this case) really hurts your point (or whatever narrative you are trying to push now). In your own words, let's stick to the thread topic. Some crybaby may get very upset if you don't.
That's about the response I expected. I provided evidence to support my original point that people were only too happy to suggest BLM deserved some blame for his death even though it was quickly revealed to be a suicide.

If you just wanna name-call each other we probably can.

That's about the response I expected. I provided evidence to support my original point that people were only too happy to suggest BLM deserved some blame for his death even though it was quickly revealed to be a suicide.

See, this situation is obviously different. As others have said, things get blown way out of proportion when it's the other way around. All over CNN, Twitter, MSNBC, New york times, college campuses, etc etc. Your story? That's the first I've ever heard of it. And you gave one source...a newspaper...that reported that it was the black lives matter movement. It certainly was a rush to judgement that was ill-advised, but It pales in comparison to other examples, including the duke lacrosse scandal and others mentioned here.
And you are one to call out others for saying "the response I expected. I provide evidence.." yadda yadda. Everyone on this board knows that you throw hissy-fits and act like a child whenever someone posts a story that points out the obscurity of liberal minded views like yours. You then erupt in a childishly sarcastic post full of capitalized letters and do everything you can to exaggerate what people are saying to an extreme degree to make them seem like nuts, without arguing anything of merit....while trying to get the thread locked as soon as possible.
You are a hypocrite.

See, this situation is obviously different. As others have said, things get blown way out of proportion when it's the other way around. All over CNN, Twitter, MSNBC, New york times, college campuses, etc etc. Your story? That's the first I've ever heard of it. And you gave one source...a newspaper...that reported that it was the black lives matter movement. It certainly was a rush to judgement that was ill-advised, but It pales in comparison to other examples, including the duke lacrosse scandal and others mentioned here.
And you are one to call out others for saying "the response I expected. I provide evidence.." yadda yadda. Everyone on this board knows that you throw hissy-fits and act like a child whenever someone posts a story that points out the obscurity of liberal minded views like yours. You then erupt in a childishly sarcastic post full of capitalized letters and do everything you can to exaggerate what people are saying to an extreme degree to make them seem like nuts, without arguing anything of merit....while trying to get the thread locked as soon as possible.
You are a hypocrite.
You didn't read the link. It was wasn't just one article, it was an article that listing a sampling of political figures and news outlets who laid that event at the feet of BLM. So very clearly more than "one source."

Including probably my favorite, Ted Cruz calling for Obama to do something.

But please, don't let me stop you from learning anything. Google it yourself. Get back into some archives for September 1st and 2nd about what people said under #BlueLivesMatter and you let me know whether maaaaaybe, just maaaaaaaybe, anyone jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Stick to the topic of the thread Beav. The Dook rape case had nothing to do with BLM. Not sure why you want it to so badly.

Stick to the topic of the thread Beav. The Dook rape case had nothing to do with BLM. Not sure why you want it to so badly.
Yeah, that was a really weird case. It's well-established that her claims didn't hold up.

I could swear that I was not the one who introduced race into this thread.

That was....oh who was it..........somebody was trolling on about white privilege...if only I could remember who would hang out on this board for pretty much the express purpose of trolling while providing almost zero actual football opinions ever...........

Reactions: regibson1
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT