ADVERTISEMENT

Fall Sports unlikely imo

If you donate blood you’ll be tested. I gave two weeks ago and I received a email from the Red Cross saying my blood was going to be tested for covid 19. I presume I’m negative because I haven’t heard from them
They likely tested you for antibodies as well and you would definitely be hearing from them if you were positive for protective antibodies. They would want to drain you dry of plasma.

Reactions: Baxter48
You are very ignorant.
One reason theres so many more positive cases is due to the fact that more and more hospitals throughout the US have been opening up more and more to procedures and tests that werent being dne during the shutdown. Everyone who is to undergo any of these has to take covid tests. More and more people are testing positive simply because there’s more testing. Many of these people display no symptoms and are only tested because they have to. Also add in workers taking more tests....
More tests=more positives, doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Also, so many of these are young people. The list of things they are more likely to die from is long and absurd. We need young people for herd immunity, we just need them to stay away from grandma, but with (grade) schools going half time in the fall, grandma will be exposed more than ever due to watching the kids.

If people want the death rate to continue to go down, they should be in favor of opening up.
We are out of pandemic status and moving out of epidemic status.
I agree somewhat about your testing opinion but it's pretty clear that more symptomatic 20-40 year olds are showing up. Is that because we're just doing more tests and more are getting tested now when they get symptoms? I don't know. . I can't agree with your statements that we are out of a pandemic status and moving out of an epidemic status. That's just not true. If you google the definitions of those words we're pretty clearly still experiencing a pandemic and will be until the number of new cases falls back to the pre-outbreak baseline level worldwide.

maybe, just maybe, doctors are getting better at treating it

and maybe, just maybe, there's a difference in young vs old who contract it
regionsdoc works for a hospital in Minneapolis. He posted somewhere in a recent thread that they didn't see a rise in cases after the protests there. One would think if thousands of mostly young people can march, scream and spit on cops night after night without any rise in cases, surely we could have football with fans in the stand this fall.:confused:

Reactions: little a
I agree somewhat about your testing opinion but it's pretty clear that more symptomatic 20-40 year olds are showing up. Is that because we're just doing more tests and more are getting tested now when they get symptoms? I don't know. . I can't agree with your statements that we are out of a pandemic status and moving out of an epidemic status. That's just not true. If you google the definitions of those words we're pretty clearly still experiencing a pandemic and will be until the number of new cases falls back to the pre-outbreak baseline level worldwide.
Theyre both true, more testing and more young people.
Yes, more symptomatic 20-40 year olds are showing up, but the death rate continues to go down and don’t forget the number of people without symptoms who get checked simply because they were in contact with someone positive.
As for the “just not true” statement about moving out of epidemic status...
https://justthenews.com/politics-po...e-losing-its-epidemic-status-us-according-cdc

Pandemic is still there but that is a statement from March. Not really any updates.

regionsdoc works for a hospital in Minneapolis. He posted somewhere in a recent thread that they didn't see a rise in cases after the protests there. One would think if thousands of mostly young people can march, scream and spit on cops night after night without any rise in cases, surely we could have football with fans in the stand this fall.:confused:

Here Here!!!

Doesn't Stanford have a 20+ billion dollar endowment? I have zero knowledge of how that pile of cash is distributed. Can it be used to subsidize athletics or is it specifically an education stash?

Theyre both true, more testing and more young people.
Yes, more symptomatic 20-40 year olds are showing up, but the death rate continues to go down and don’t forget the number of people without symptoms who get checked simply because they were in contact with someone positive.
As for the “just not true” statement about moving out of epidemic status...
https://justthenews.com/politics-po...e-losing-its-epidemic-status-us-according-cdc

Pandemic is still there but that is a statement from March. Not really any updates.
By definition an epidemic is: a widespread disease outbreak above baseline normal occurence. A pandemic is a widespread worldwide outbreak of a disease above the normal baseline occurrence. Yes IMO, based on the decrease in fatalities I believe that we're going to continue on the downward slope of the curve, but it's going to take months at the very least for this epidemic to be over. I guess technically we are heading "out of the epidemic" since we're on the back side of the curve so I'll give you that. For it to be totally over we almost have to get to zero new cases or to some new low level endemic state which goes on for years.

more sports that definitely aren't happening, and not just in 2020
Everyone's playing checkers while Stanford plays chess.

5212843.jpg

47o41g

Reactions: saluno22
What's ironic about that is that there are all kinds of high schoolers participating in baseball, basketball summer leagues and tournaments etc. There's also college summer baseball leagues going on. I won't even mention all of the social interaction that's happening in that age group. It's a matter of the nanny state trying to protect young people from something they probably don't need protection from. I think 5 years from now we're going to look back on this and think shutting down schools and their sports was a really stupid thing to do. JMHO.

What's ironic about that is that there are all kinds of high schoolers participating in baseball, basketball summer leagues and tournaments etc. There's also college summer baseball leagues going on. I won't even mention all of the social interaction that's happening in that age group. It's a matter of the nanny state trying to protect young people from something they probably don't need protection from. I think 5 years from now we're going to look back on this and think shutting down schools and their sports was a really stupid thing to do. JMHO.

the number one ranked baseball team in Iowa season has been cancelled along with a number of others due to + test. It is going to be difficult to proceed until there is more known about the risk of transmission of an asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic + test - a lot of unknowns

Last edited:
Fall sports seem likely, IMO. And the University of Nebraska's leadership.

Ultimately that's a post supporting the B1Gs announcement that we're losing the non con in the names of safety and ... Hopefully being flexible enough to save the conference season. A social media version of clapping for the bosses idea.

Pac12 and acc seem likely to follow suit. A few sources on social media saying SEC is feeling pressure to follow suit with this early decision.

Now that the B1G has cut out outside money they are in an easier position to curtail or drop the fall season on a whim.

I hope it doesn't to that.

the number one ranked baseball team in Iowa season has been cancelled along with a number of others due to + test. It is going to be difficult to proceed until there is more known about the risk of transmission of an asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic + test - a lot of unknowns
As I've said multiple times, the test and quarantine model for high school and college sports IMO will mean NO sports this fall. Even though the risk is ridiculously low for that age group, they won't be able to proceed. Kids and parents participating in summer leagues aren't using that model. IMO, this poses no more and maybe less risk to those 15 to 25 year olds than influenza but we don't test and quarantine for that. JMO. I'm getting more and more reports of people in their 50s who are either asymptomatic or are having very short bouts of fever.

Reactions: GBRforLife1
As I've said multiple times, the test and quarantine model for high school and college sports IMO will mean NO sports this fall. Even though the risk is ridiculously low for that age group, they won't be able to proceed. Kids and parents participating in summer leagues aren't using that model. IMO, this poses no more and maybe less risk to those 15 to 25 year olds than influenza but we don't test and quarantine for that. JMO. I'm getting more and more reports of people in their 50s who are either asymptomatic or are having very short bouts of fever.

I agree ... I assume (don’t know for sure) that these Iowa schools aren’t doing routine testing however - so presumably someone exhibited enough symptoms to warrant a test which came back +

no one is comfortable sticking their necks out to say a + test in an asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic person is no big deal from a public health standpoint - including college and pro sports where there are billions of dollars involved

Reactions: dinglefritz
I just have a feeling college fall sports are going to get moved to the spring. I just don't see any AD having the stomach to deal with the media every week asking about players getting Covid.

Even though 99.99% of all 20 year olds in good health shake it off there is always that chance that someone, with a pre-existing condition or something, might die and then we'll hear nothing else. Or maybe a fat coach catches it and dies.

There has been reports of anywhere from 10-30 covid cases on many teams already. Clemson has 37. Kansas has suspended workouts after 12 got it.

Zero deaths so far among college athletes from what I can find. But lack of deaths don't make headlines like the number of cases does.

My prediction from a long time ago. As I said, AD's don't have the stomach to deal with the crazy left wing media. Sad state of affairs in America.

ADVERTISEMENT