ADVERTISEMENT

Fall Sports unlikely imo

Newsome was a likely starter.

On a fully-developed roster a freshman WR needing ACL surgery wouldn't be a major blow to the team as a whole. NU does not have a fully-developed roster.

This team is desperately young, inexperienced, and thin at WR. They could really have used all the luck they could grab at this position to have everyone healthy and competing. We said last year it was no big deal to be without Kade Warner for a while. Turns out it was a big deal.
It's now or never. Our roster is as fully developed as it's going to get for the foreseeable future. If we can't pull off at least a winning season with what we got, then I don't think things are going to work out with Frost. I don't see that happening though. If Frost is the same coach we thought we had just coming in from UCF, I think we could have a breakout year like Minnesota did last year. Martinez, Deontai, Manning, and Wandale are all experienced standout talents that we haven't had on the roster in several years. There's several more talented young guys who could be poised for a breakout year. If even a few of these guys live up to their potential, we could and should be a really good team.

I guess my point is that we have seen virtually every business bend their knee to political correctness and media pressure to an extent we've never seen before in our country. Even before this past month, things like college athletes getting paid.

Universities and Athletics are even more susceptible to these pressures. Even if the risk of an actual death are minimal no AD will have the guts to play due to the unrelenting media that will tell everyone how bad of a person they are. Or how evil the NCAA is for exploiting those poor underprivileged kids to further enrichen "the system" and people actually believe that stuff these days.

Reactions: dinglefritz
There will be some students on campus but not more than 40% of the normal population. I have to read the email again but I think the incoming freshmen and people above that who petition to be on campus (foreign students) will be the only ones. If all goes well they say they'll bring back seniors for the spring semester.

Reactions: jlb321
they also, in the same announcement, said they'll have students living on campus taking the online courses.

but, I suppose that's less newsworthy than the headline to some.
Lots of foreign students never left campus. They'll have up to 40% of their student body on campus this fall. Just got the email this morning. Sucks for my kid. Their gang of friends is looking at staying somewhere on the east coast to take online classes and hang out together. One friend's family has a house on Martha's Vineyard and another has one at Lake Tahoe so they're looking at those options as well. I told them they could stay in my older farmhouse if the renter moves out.:D

Last edited:
It's now or never. Our roster is as fully developed as it's going to get for the foreseeable future. If we can't pull off at least a winning season with what we got, then I don't think things are going to work out with Frost. I don't see that happening though. If Frost is the same coach we thought we had just coming in from UCF, I think we could have a breakout year like Minnesota did last year. Martinez, Deontai, Manning, and Wandale are all experienced standout talents that we haven't had on the roster in several years. There's several more talented young guys who could be poised for a breakout year. If even a few of these guys live up to their potential, we could and should be a really good team.
experienced standouts? do any even make the pre-season all-B1G 2nd team?

Last edited:
TV deals are so important to revenue streams that playing games in empty stadiums would be the way to go... although that’s still a loaded scenario to implement that cannot be adequately detailed in a single post.

TV networks want games, players and coaches want games. Fans want to watch games.

Gotta find a way to make that much happen. The challenges will be abundant.

There may need to be some compromises and agreements made throughout various layers of bureaucracy to pull it off. That part part would leave me skeptical.

TV deals are so important to revenue streams that playing games in empty stadiums would be the way to go... although that’s still a loaded scenario to implement that cannot be adequately detailed in a single post.

TV networks want games, players and coaches want games. Fans want to watch games.

Gotta find a way to make that much happen. The challenges will be abundant.

There may need to be some compromises and agreements made throughout various layers of bureaucracy to pull it off. That part part would leave me skeptical.

MLB players, NBA players and MLS players are backing out, some coaches are staying away. I don’t think a blanket statement that players want to play is accurate right now. The majority? Probably so, but there will be a ton who don’t want to play.

I still maintain the hardest part is going to be travel, good luck getting clearance to bring a group of 100+ players and staff across the country for a game in the middle of a spike in an area.

Reactions: HominidHusker
"Nebraska will be going to an entirely paperless ticket and parking system in 2020."

Pro tip: Do not, under any circumstances, try to enter through West Stadium.

"Sir, that's just an invoice. Your ticket is on your smart phone."

"My smart WHAT?"

"Smart phone."

"Damn right it's a smart phone! I got the $9 per month plan from Walmart!"

This move to all electronic is really going to change the landscape of the secondary ticket market (ie. scalpers out front of the stadium).

It’s not as easy as let play football in the spring. Most of us realize this is about money and a lot of it. Of which pays for the vast majority of the non revenue generating sports.

Moving to spring issues off the top of my head.

1- 2 fb seasons in a calendar year Seriously??
2- brings up scholarships issues and a lot of them.
3- Players who are draft eligible do they play? Doubtful
4- Incoming freshmen redshirt? Doubtful
5- Do they plan on limiting practices and/or total reps any 1 kid can have in that 1 calendar year?
6- Injuries Let just go with the head. Does a player who sustained a concussion in the spring forces to sit out longer? I know of a few schools that have rules in place currently that if you sustain 2 in a year your force to sit the remaining season. Great rule in my opinion. Football talks about safety of players then wants to do this.

Both SI & ESPiN had articles in the last 6 weeks asked current players are you okay playing football in the spring? Consensus was no, like 68% in one 73% in the other. So they don’t want to.

Yet the universities want to disregard player safety for their financial gain?
Yes college athletics is circling the drain. The potential loss of all the Olympic sports is real and unfair to those student athletes. Specially when 90% of these Universities have Billions of dollars in endowments.

I love football, my wife & I have 6 season tickets on the 40yard line cost is 5 digits. We also donate to both the Renaissance & Honors Scholarship fund’s. (at my school, while Steve does the same here at N) So we are invested but not interested in using kids who don’t get paid financially. Seems wrong on multiple levels

Reactions: jmliehr
I am guessing this has been discussed but playing the "what ifs"

What do you do if you test and find at least one player has C19? Do you stop everything and quarantine for 14
days?

If you have to take a 14 day vacation via quarantine - do you cancel all those games you have scheduled which would likely be two weeks?

If a team cancels because they have an infected player(s) does the team that can play just start calling to see who they can get on a schedule?

If they relegate games to bus trips then that creates an entirely different scenario. You will be constantly monitoring those teams on your "play list."

Suppose you are playing K-State (example only) and after the game they find out their RB tests positive. What does that do your team? A minimum the D players have been exposed. Do they go into quarantine?

I can see all sorts of conditions where players are allowed to play and still keep a red shirt just because the team ran out of players. Getting in a full schedule would seem to be nearly impossible given you have to have your team well, the last two teams you played well and the team you are going to play well.

I wouldn't be surprised if the NCAA calls the entire year an exhibition year. There are so many factors to consider and has been mentioned, the first time a player, coach or someone associated with the programs dies from C 19 the gig is over. No one is going to want to take that chance. They will be testing players right up to game time, imagine the hysteria.

Reactions: CheeseRunza
Lots of foreign students never left campus. They'll have up to 40% of their student body on campus this fall. Just got the email this morning. Sucks for my kid. Their gang of friends is looking at staying somewhere on the east coast to take online classes and hang out together. One friend's family has a house on Martha's Vineyard and another has one at Lake Tahoe so they're looking at those options as well. I told them they could stay in my older farmhouse if the renter moves out.:D

speaking of international students - not sure how living on campus but taking full online courses will be viewed

I just have a feeling college fall sports are going to get moved to the spring. I just don't see any AD having the stomach to deal with the media every week asking about players getting Covid.

Even though 99.99% of all 20 year olds in good health shake it off there is always that chance that someone, with a pre-existing condition or something, might die and then we'll hear nothing else. Or maybe a fat coach catches it and dies.

There has been reports of anywhere from 10-30 covid cases on many teams already. Clemson has 37. Kansas has suspended workouts after 12 got it.

Zero deaths so far among college athletes from what I can find. But lack of deaths don't make headlines like the number of cases does.

I think the season will start in late Sept with a condensed schedule and 1/3 - 1/4 capacity stadiums. Non-conf games will be gone. The big losers will be all the small schools that schedule big names for a payday. Whether there will be championship games remains uncertain.

It’s not as easy as let play football in the spring. Most of us realize this is about money and a lot of it. Of which pays for the vast majority of the non revenue generating sports.

Moving to spring issues off the top of my head.

1- 2 fb seasons in a calendar year Seriously??
2- brings up scholarships issues and a lot of them.
3- Players who are draft eligible do they play? Doubtful
4- Incoming freshmen redshirt? Doubtful
5- Do they plan on limiting practices and/or total reps any 1 kid can have in that 1 calendar year?
6- Injuries Let just go with the head. Does a player who sustained a concussion in the spring forces to sit out longer? I know of a few schools that have rules in place currently that if you sustain 2 in a year your force to sit the remaining season. Great rule in my opinion. Football talks about safety of players then wants to do this.

Both SI & ESPiN had articles in the last 6 weeks asked current players are you okay playing football in the spring? Consensus was no, like 68% in one 73% in the other. So they don’t want to.

Yet the universities want to disregard player safety for their financial gain?
Yes college athletics is circling the drain. The potential loss of all the Olympic sports is real and unfair to those student athletes. Specially when 90% of these Universities have Billions of dollars in endowments.

I love football, my wife & I have 6 season tickets on the 40yard line cost is 5 digits. We also donate to both the Renaissance & Honors Scholarship fund’s. (at my school, while Steve does the same here at N) So we are invested but not interested in using kids who don’t get paid financially. Seems wrong on multiple levels
Wow, you and Steve should meet me at the Club for tennis on Wednesday.

This move to all electronic is really going to change the landscape of the secondary ticket market (ie. scalpers out front of the stadium).
So in LA the Kings went digital a few years back and you had to have a certain app on your phone or you were out of luck. I would but tickets through a message board exchange and they could transfer within the app. No clue how the usual crew on the streets will make this work

I think the season will start in late Sept with a condensed schedule and 1/3 - 1/4 capacity stadiums. Non-conf games will be gone. The big losers will be all the small schools that schedule big names for a payday. Whether there will be championship games remains uncertain.
Zero bowls too... Well except the Rose Bowl. They will find a way to play that one

herd immunity the key. I'm rooting for the T cells.
the hardest hit countries in the world only report a 5% antibodies rate thus far. i think natural herd immunity is impossible this year. and natural herd immunity would result in 100s of thousands of more deaths. the vaccine or a treatment is the only way of returning to normal without mass deaths

Reactions: Charlie Marlow
You do know there is about a 4 week lag between new case surges and deaths? Expect deaths to pick up around July 25th.
Many if not most of the new positive cases are in much younger people who are not going to die from this.. The CFR and daily death toll continues to fall on a national level. Worldometer at least a month ago predicted that by September 1st this country would be nearing zero deaths. I don't know if that is going to happen but man just 6 weeks or so ago we were bumping around 1500 deaths per day. Now it's around 300. The long term trend is definitely rapidly down. I've seen some estimates over the past month that say this thing will be over by Christmas.

Many if not most of the new positive cases are in much younger people who are not going to die from this.. The CFR and daily death toll continues to fall on a national level. Worldometer at least a month ago predicted that by September 1st this country would be nearing zero deaths. I don't know if that is going to happen but man just 6 weeks or so ago we were bumping around 1500 deaths per day. Now it's around 300. The long term trend is definitely rapidly down. I've seen some estimates over the past month that say this thing will be over by Christmas.

I Sooo hope your right!! Good news for sure

the hardest hit countries in the world only report a 5% antibodies rate thus far. i think natural herd immunity is impossible this year. and natural herd immunity would result in 100s of thousands of more deaths. the vaccine or a treatment is the only way of returning to normal without mass deaths
T cells are going to be more important to population immunity than positive antibody tests. Circulating antibodies only last for a finite time. The memory in T cells is more important for longer term immunity. There's also some evidence that previous infection with Corona virus "colds" is giving millions of people protective immunity to COVID due to that T cell effect.

Here’s a hot one: coronavirus will lead to the dissolution of the NCAA. Student athletes will no longer have to be students due to all classes being online. Tuition rates will plummet as people will refuse to pay the same for YouTube video courses.

College football will effectively become the minor leagues for the NFL. Limited <~4> year eligibility will remain. Only programs left standing will be the ones that generate money.

Nebraska football will survive, and eventually transition to the nfl in 2030 as an expansion team. Bill Callahan will come back to coach Nebraska as he understands the pro game, with former chargers hc mike Riley as his oc and Bob disco will return as defensive quality control assistant.

time is a flat circle.

Reactions: SkerInCo
Pro tip: Do not, under any circumstances, try to enter through West Stadium.

"Sir, that's just an invoice. Your ticket is on your smart phone."

"My smart WHAT?"

"Smart phone."

"Damn right it's a smart phone! I got the $9 per month plan from Walmart!"

That same guy when confronted with one of these...

pininfarina_1.jpg

"Dadgummit, I just want a damn Coke!"

Or one of these...

GettyImages-940333304.jpg

"Goddamn it. I just want to watch Every Which Way But Loose."

You do know there is about a 4 week lag between new case surges and deaths? Expect deaths to pick up around July 25th.
You are very ignorant.
One reason theres so many more positive cases is due to the fact that more and more hospitals throughout the US have been opening up more and more to procedures and tests that werent being dne during the shutdown. Everyone who is to undergo any of these has to take covid tests. More and more people are testing positive simply because there’s more testing. Many of these people display no symptoms and are only tested because they have to. Also add in workers taking more tests....
More tests=more positives, doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Also, so many of these are young people. The list of things they are more likely to die from is long and absurd. We need young people for herd immunity, we just need them to stay away from grandma, but with (grade) schools going half time in the fall, grandma will be exposed more than ever due to watching the kids.

If people want the death rate to continue to go down, they should be in favor of opening up.
We are out of pandemic status and moving out of epidemic status.

I just have a feeling college fall sports are going to get moved to the spring. I just don't see any AD having the stomach to deal with the media every week asking about players getting Covid.

Even though 99.99% of all 20 year olds in good health shake it off there is always that chance that someone, with a pre-existing condition or something, might die and then we'll hear nothing else. Or maybe a fat coach catches it and dies.

There has been reports of anywhere from 10-30 covid cases on many teams already. Clemson has 37. Kansas has suspended workouts after 12 got it.

Zero deaths so far among college athletes from what I can find. But lack of deaths don't make headlines like the number of cases does.
I am now in the camp of we will not have football, well at least not a full season worth. I just think people are to caught up in the media spin of Covid is deadly virus that is killing everyone it touches. I think the second we start seeing breakouts in programs during the season things will get shut down.

Reactions: Baxter48
You are very ignorant.
One reason theres so many more positive cases is due to the fact that more and more hospitals throughout the US have been opening up more and more to procedures and tests that werent being dne during the shutdown. Everyone who is to undergo any of these has to take covid tests. More and more people are testing positive simply because there’s more testing. Many of these people display no symptoms and are only tested because they have to. Also add in workers taking more tests....
More tests=more positives, doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Also, so many of these are young people. The list of things they are more likely to die from is long and absurd. We need young people for herd immunity, we just need them to stay away from grandma, but with (grade) schools going half time in the fall, grandma will be exposed more than ever due to watching the kids.

If people want the death rate to continue to go down, they should be in favor of opening up.
We are out of pandemic status and moving out of epidemic status.
If you donate blood you’ll be tested. I gave two weeks ago and I received a email from the Red Cross saying my blood was going to be tested for covid 19. I presume I’m negative because I haven’t heard from them

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT