ADVERTISEMENT

Fall Sports unlikely imo

Red_Symptoms

Redshirt Freshman
Oct 30, 2016
I just have a feeling college fall sports are going to get moved to the spring. I just don't see any AD having the stomach to deal with the media every week asking about players getting Covid.

Even though 99.99% of all 20 year olds in good health shake it off there is always that chance that someone, with a pre-existing condition or something, might die and then we'll hear nothing else. Or maybe a fat coach catches it and dies.

There has been reports of anywhere from 10-30 covid cases on many teams already. Clemson has 37. Kansas has suspended workouts after 12 got it.

Zero deaths so far among college athletes from what I can find. But lack of deaths don't make headlines like the number of cases does.

Unfortunately I have to agree.

Not only is this a huge health concern to everyone (players, fans, staff, etc.), but think about the logistical nightmare of trying to find a replacement opponent last minute because the team you're about to play in two days had an outbreak and can no longer compete.

Reactions: PalmettoBugeater
I’m going to disagree for now. With MLB and NBA opening this month I think if all goes well for them we will have fall sports. Things could change real quick like though.

To simplify all the logistics I think they may want to go with empty stadiums.

While doing minimal seating could be feasible, I think the game comes first, and all hands on deck should be working towards pulling that off.
The added complications of dealing w/ fans is not gonna help.

That’s not a vote of confidence that the season will happen, but just my opinion on narrowing the focus.

I just have a feeling college fall sports are going to get moved to the spring. I just don't see any AD having the stomach to deal with the media every week asking about players getting Covid.

Even though 99.99% of all 20 year olds in good health shake it off there is always that chance that someone, with a pre-existing condition or something, might die and then we'll hear nothing else. Or maybe a fat coach catches it and dies.

There has been reports of anywhere from 10-30 covid cases on many teams already. Clemson has 37. Kansas has suspended workouts after 12 got it.

Zero deaths so far among college athletes from what I can find. But lack of deaths don't make headlines like the number of cases does.

What will be different in the spring?

Not disagreeing with you, but if they cancel this fall, why would spring sports be open?

There might be a mass vaccination effort between now and then, but it's highly unlikely.

Reactions: BroskiRed
Team workouts have actually continued longer than I thought they would. I sort of figured there would be one cluster of cases, then another, then one university president after another would call the whole thing off. Not so far.

It’s definitely a cluster f I’m going to say no fall sports, but if that occurs do you create a giant log jam with students and scholarships. It will be a nightmare

If they do go to spring football there will be several high draft slot guys that should sit out.

To simplify all the logistics I think they may want to go with empty stadiums.

While doing minimal seating could be feasible, I think the game comes first, and all hands on deck should be working towards pulling that off.
The added complications of dealing w/ fans is not gonna help.

That’s not a vote of confidence that the season will happen, but just my opinion on narrowing the focus.
I understand your logic, but the reality is that a significant number of athletic departments could not survive by playing games in empty stadiums. I believe Moos said previously that Nebraska would lose millions of dollars every game by even having to move to a 1/3 capacity model.

Reactions: ssmill777
Spring football attendance won't be as good as fall (normal) but I guess spring with no restrictions would be better than 50% cap limit

Reactions: headcard
The money has yet to talk in this one. There's the matter of whether teams are allowed to break these game contracts without some higher power such as their conference or the NCAA canceling games. Large financial penalties for that, ones I'm assuming would bankrupt an athletic department if they had to pay a whole season's worth in multiple sports.

The other question is the liability. Can players sue their school if they go out and catch COVID as a result of participating in their sport? Can you make them sign a waiver and would it be legally binding?

The virus will still be here in the fall, that much is abundantly clear. We'll see what schools intend to do about it.

Part of me thinks a canceled season is the best thing that could happen to NU Football in 2020 so long as they don't just lose a bunch of kids to transfers and homesickness with no actual football to keep them feeling grounded in something. Newsome snapped his leg, I was sent a screenshot of Will Nixon's Instagram saying he's supposed to have ACL surgery today.

This team is still so young and so thin at key positions, a free redshirt year for everyone could be a real leg up.

Reactions: timnsun
The money has yet to talk in this one. There's the matter of whether teams are allowed to break these game contracts without some higher power such as their conference or the NCAA canceling games. Large financial penalties for that, ones I'm assuming would bankrupt an athletic department if they had to pay a whole season's worth in multiple sports.

The other question is the liability. Can players sue their school if they go out and catch COVID as a result of participating in their sport? Can you make them sign a waiver and would it be legally binding?

The virus will still be here in the fall, that much is abundantly clear. We'll see what schools intend to do about it.

Part of me thinks a canceled season is the best thing that could happen to NU Football in 2020 so long as they don't just lose a bunch of kids to transfers and homesickness with no actual football to keep them feeling grounded in something. Newsome snapped his leg, I was sent a screenshot of Will Nixon's Instagram saying he's supposed to have ACL surgery today.

This team is still so young and so thin at key positions, a free redshirt year for everyone could be a real leg up.

With so much of our team coming to Lincoln from so far away, I worry about more Henry Gray situations, if we don't have football this year.

the money's talking, nobody's listening.

camp starts in 2 weeks.

what happens to the seniors this year or players who already have redshirted?

I believe when spring sports that were cancelled that schools were given the option of giving an extra year of eligibility BUT the overall scholarship limits remained the same - meaning the 85 scholarship rule would still be in place

Harvard is one of those schools that can call their own shots. If a student wants to take a gap year, there will always be another student willing to take their place.
they also, in the same announcement, said they'll have students living on campus taking the online courses.

but, I suppose that's less newsworthy than the headline to some.

I've actually thought about this as well, and don't think missing a season would be the worst thing for Husker football. Our players have been physically abused by the competition and another year in S&C could really help to close that gap sooner than later. And yes I know that means everyone else would continue exercising as well, but they will have already hit their plateau while we're still trying to get there.

But on the flip-side of this game experience is huge and that would definitely hurt not only us, but everyone else too.

Reactions: timnsun
Spring football attendance won't be as good as fall (normal) but I guess spring with no restrictions would be better than 50% cap limit
Spring with no restrictions would be under the category of wishful thinking or kicking the can down the road. But given typical governmental and corporate decisions of this generation of leadership, it makes total sense.

My daughter is getting recruited for D1 beach volleyball ... in that world, they are essentially giving all players and extra season of eligibility - of course that is a spring sport and they did not get to play a complete season in 2020; as far as scholarships go, those seniors that would otherwise be out the door can still be on scholarship and it doesn't count against the six allotted beach volleyball scholarships a team can have. Of course beach volleyball is not flush with cash like football and finding the money to essentially give to athletes beyond what the program would normally offer is a fairly tough row to hoe in an Olympic sport, a lot of would be fifth-year seniors are walking if they don't get their scholarship money. I am guessing football might adopt this type of eligibility model if for some reason 2020 is a hard no.

Reactions: TheBeav815
My daughter is getting recruited for D1 beach volleyball ... in that world, they are essentially giving all players and extra season of eligibility - of course that is a spring sport and they did not get to play a complete season in 2020; as far as scholarships go, those seniors that would otherwise be out the door can still be on scholarship and it doesn't count against the six allotted beach volleyball scholarships a team can have. Of course beach volleyball is not flush with cash like football and finding the money to essentially give to athletes beyond what the program would normally offer is a fairly tough row to hoe in an Olympic sport, a lot of would be fifth-year seniors are walking if they don't get their scholarship money. I am guessing football might adopt this type of eligibility model if for some reason 2020 is a hard no.

if the ncaa allows for additional football scholarships given title ix they would have to fund the same number of scholarships on the women's side -- with athletic departments already strapped that will be a lot of extra expense in times of diminished revenue

freshman injuries won't affect the program. they were not going to play anyway. 90% of freshmen or more will redshirt. so nothing has really changed

I believe when spring sports that were cancelled that schools were given the option of giving an extra year of eligibility BUT the overall scholarship limits remained the same - meaning the 85 scholarship rule would still be in place
Yep. Can you imagine the problems of bringing back most of your seniors while trying to add freshmen and stay under the scholarship limit?

Decisions are going to have to be made sooner rather than later. At this point, if given the choice between a guarantee of a six game schedule or take your chances on playing the odds with a normal 12 game schedule, I would take the six game schedule in a heartbeat because I think the odds of playing the regular schedule are getting worse each week.

Shoot, some schools will love to keep kids off campus. Gives them a chance to renovate and/or build while still collecting tuition checks.

How they asked the players? Are the people making the decisions more concerned with getting sued? Have they noticed these college kids are not social distancing anyway?

You shut your damn mouth!!!!! I neeeeeeeed sports

if the ncaa allows for additional football scholarships given title ix they would have to fund the same number of scholarships on the women's side -- with athletic departments already strapped that will be a lot of extra expense in times of diminished revenue
Seems like we're caught in the bathtub drain swirl

freshman injuries won't affect the program. they were not going to play anyway. 90% of freshmen or more will redshirt. so nothing has really changed
Newsome was a likely starter.

On a fully-developed roster a freshman WR needing ACL surgery wouldn't be a major blow to the team as a whole. NU does not have a fully-developed roster.

This team is desperately young, inexperienced, and thin at WR. They could really have used all the luck they could grab at this position to have everyone healthy and competing. We said last year it was no big deal to be without Kade Warner for a while. Turns out it was a big deal.

I believe the NBA with their bubble plan doesn't really give a blueprint for college football or any sport where there is travel.

Baseball's plan is the one that needs to be watched..no fans, but travel and playing at home stadiums without fans...is closer to what we will see if falls sports plan to play.

Yeah its a gray area for sure - in beach volleyball, they aren't increasing the number of scholarships at all - there are still six that are available. But if an unredshirted senior sticks around for a fifth season, they can be on 'scholarhship' - it just doesn't count against the six allotted per team; it is kind of a concession to those 4th year players for not getting to participate in their final year of eligibility. In theory it sounds very equitable, but the ability for a particular program to find a way to actually pay for that scholarship varies widely; USC and UCLA won't have a problem finding that money, Jacksonville State might have a pretty big problem and simply not be able to offer that student athlete any funding for their fifth year - that creates churn in the transfer market, the big programs will be able to absorb players, etc. All programs are still working in the same framework, just comes down to dollars and cents within the program itself.

In football, if the doomsday scenario of no football in 2020 occurs, I could see that same model being used for at least a starting point. Everyone still has 85 scholarships, but for players that did not get to complete their final year of competition, some sort of equitable compensatory 'scholarship' would perhaps be available. From a Title IX perspective, things haven't really changed. But yeah, that scenario looks a lot different at Ohio State or Texas versus say a Idaho State or other directional school. Strange times indeed....

Reactions: TheBeav815
I had a similar discussion this morning with a high school administrator (I half jokingly asked if they were purchasing miles of plexiglass for desks). The administrator mentioned there are a lot of different measures being considered with respect to day-to-day school operations and in-person classes (he didn't get into specifics, but they're turning over as many rocks and playing battle games as much as they can he said). Everyone wants football to happen, but if the measures being considered for the normal school operations are necessary, those would be completely undermined by those participating in football.

We all want football (or other activities) for our sanity and it's easy to look at them in a vacuum without the wider lens of the experience of all students. This particular administrator (and another I was talking to the other day) wasn't optimistic about football, but thought the other Nebraska high school fall sports (cross country if they can figure out an acceptable bus capacity/density, boys tennis, girls golf), would be good to go if school is in person.

Obviously I'm talking about high school, not the multi-billion dollar college football industry. Different stakes will warrant different risk tolerance.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
I had a similar discussion this morning with a high school administrator (I half jokingly asked if they were purchasing miles of plexiglass for desks). The administrator mentioned there are a lot of different measures being considered with respect to day-to-day school operations and in-person classes (he didn't get into specifics, but they're turning over as many rocks and playing battle games as much as they can he said). Everyone wants football to happen, but if the measures being considered for the normal school operations are necessary, those would be completely undermined by those participating in football.

We all want football (or other activities) for our sanity and it's easy to look at them in a vacuum without the wider lens of the experience of all students. This particular administrator (and another I was talking to the other day) wasn't optimistic about football, but thought the other Nebraska high school fall sports (cross country if they can figure out an acceptable bus capacity/density, boys tennis, girls golf), would be good to go if school is in person.

Obviously I'm talking about high school, not the multi-billion dollar college football industry. Different stakes will warrant different risk tolerance.

I’m putting high school sports in Nebraska at 60% to complete the fall.

And that is actually more optimistic than my AD.

Good luck to your daughter. You'll have to let us know her progress down the road

Reactions: Chief Wiggum
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT