ADVERTISEMENT

Fall Camp

I saw a lot of the players there working out, last week. They were getting it in. Mick Stoltenberg is quite the specimen. Dedrick Young looked like a Greek statue as did Mo Berry. Mo has "The Eye of the Tiger". Justin Mc Griff walked right by us and was very nice, every bit of 6-6. Deontre Thomas has a perpetual snarl on his face. That's a good thing! Gerald Foster looked great and was also very engaging. Wasn't impressed with Wilbon, he looked a bit fat, as did Colin Miller.

Overall, most of the players I saw looked great. It was good to see so many of them there. I think it will translate into better results next year.

GBR

Last edited:
Can't come soon enough!

I hope the defense practices well all fall camp and has a good year. A good season might depend more on them. Usually the defense is better in year 1 vs the offense... for other teams anyways! Hopefully we can make that happen.

GBR

Reactions: huskerfan66
I saw a lot of the players there working out, last week. They were getting it in. Mick Stoltenberg is quite the specimen. Dedrick Young looked like a Greek statue as did Mo Berry. Mo has "The Eye of the Tiger". Justin Mc Griff walked right by us and was very nice, every bit of 6-6. Deontre Thomas has a perpetual snarl on his face. That's a good thing! Gerald Foster looked great and was also very engaging. Wasn't impressed with Wilbon, he looked a bit fat, as did Colin Miller.

Overall, most of the players I saw looked great. It was good to see so many of them there. I think it will translate into better results next year.

GBR

Love it and agree with all but Wilbon. He’s not fat at all, dude has blown up muscle wise and is now a brick shit house. He’s gotten very big muscle wise. Now is that a good thing or no?? Some might say that will help him take licks in the BIG10 running the ball (even more so up the gut) but how much will that slow him down?? He’s always been a shake and bake, Break your ankles type runner and not so much...I’m going to truck you. We shall see there.

Last edited:
Love it and agree with all but Wilbon. He’s not far at all, dude has blown up muscle wise and is now a brick shit house. He’s gotten very big muscle wise. Now is that a good thing or no?? Some might say that will help him take licks in the BIG10 running the ball (even more so up the gut) but how much will that slow him down?? He’s always be a shake and bake, Brel there ankles type runner and not so much...I’m going to truck you. We shall see there.
Honestly I was hoping he’d have slimmed down some. He wasn’t explosive last season and also looked sluggish in the spring game. His strongest attribute is his ability to make a player miss and create a play when there is none. I don’t think he’ll play much if he’s too big and that second gear isn’t there.

1abfe105cf9cff0b549cc40899e8682b.jpg
extralarge.jpg

Honestly I was hoping he’d have slimmed down some. He wasn’t explosive last season and also looked sluggish in the spring game. His strongest attribute is his ability to make a player miss and create a play when there is none. I don’t think he’ll play much if he’s too big and that second gear isn’t there.

Yep. I feel like he should play like 5th string back. Give me Bell, Jones, Bradley, and Ozigbo all before Wilbon.

Yep. I feel like he should play like 5th string back. Give me Bell, Jones, Bradley, and Ozigbo all before Wilbon.

When all are healthy it’s definitely Bryant/Bell (assuming Bell pans out like we are all hoping) and going off what we know for now it’s Wilbon/Oz/Bradley...Bradley has the most upside of these three. Jones could be something special just like Washington (assuming he does make it) but he hasn’t token a snap yet and we have yet to see how he does in D1 (I’m guessing and hoping he pans out). If Washington makes it....this list may be flipped in a hurry. He’s a special RB, and could be the best BIG10 RB by the time he hits his Junior year (again that’s if he does make it).

When all are healthy it’s definitely Bryant/Bell (assuming Bell pans out like we are all hoping) and going off what we know for now it’s Wilbon/Oz/Bradley...Bradley has the most upside of these three. Jones could be something special just like Washington (assuming he does make it) but he hasn’t token a snap yet and we have yet to see how he does in D1 (I’m guessing and hoping he pans out). If Washington makes it....this list may be flipped in a hurry. He’s a special RB, and could be the best BIG10 RB by the time he hits his Junior year (again that’s if he does make it).

It'll definitely be interesting to see how it pans out after fall practice.

Love it and agree with all but Wilbon. He’s not fat at all, dude has blown up muscle wise and is now a brick shit house. He’s gotten very big muscle wise. Now is that a good thing or no?? Some might say that will help him take licks in the BIG10 running the ball (even more so up the gut) but how much will that slow him down?? He’s always been a shake and bake, Break your ankles type runner and not so much...I’m going to truck you. We shall see there.

I'm not sure this new offense is looking for any of these guys to bulk up and "truck" someone. I suppose an exception could be made if you're a LaGarrette Blount type, but Wilbon and Ozigbo are very far from that. I'm not expecting to see much of Wilbon or Ozigbo in this fall unless they have to play.

Wilbon's biggest problem IMHO is balance. Doesn't run well over his feet (if that makes sense). Either slipping trying to be elusive or nose diving with too much forward lean. Even if he was in a position to "truck someone", he was normally falling down on his own or with minimal contact.
Don't know if bulking up will help with that.

The RB position is a very curious one heading into this year.
I could see a lot of different scenarios playing out (some more expected than others). But it’s hard for me to picture both Wilbon and Ozigbo getting enough touches to satisfy them for their senior year, particularly if Bryant plays (which I’m skeptical about). I’m wondering if one will forego their senior year to grad transfer next year?
It could easily be Bell, Oz, Wilbon carrying the load which might be enough, but I wont be shocked if we see one leave.

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
He is definitely very thick.
Fat may not have been the proper adjective for MW, but he looked too thick to me, and not nearly as well-defined as some of the other players I mentioned. That said, I hope he makes a nice contribution this year .

Mick Stoltenberg should be the first guy that gets off the bus.

You and I certainly are seeing a different player. I'm not sure I've ever seen Wilbon create a play when there wasn't one.

I can't imagine it would be more than 6 weeks. :Cool:
I think it will be much faster than that. Here is my reasoning.

As a coaching staff, you have to start putting together a team pretty quick. It's no longer about individual evaluations, those already occurred, this is about team/unit evaluations, and I think those happen in the first week to 10 days. There could be some moving of certain players in and out to see how things look, but after the first week or so, it becomes all about reps as a unit. You have lots of little things that have to be detailed from special teams to how things work for play calls, substitutions, and somewhere in there, they have to plan and scout the first opponent too.

So, when you put on your own coaching hat, there is a lot that has to happen in a fairly short amount of time.

Coach may not name the QB until the last minute, but I think that is unlikely.

You have to set up your first & second units pretty quickly and then rep the heck out of everything.

If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. :Cool:

Reactions: bshirt73
I think it will be much faster than that. Here is my reasoning.

As a coaching staff, you have to start putting together a team pretty quick. It's no longer about individual evaluations, those already occurred, this is about team/unit evaluations, and I think those happen in the first week to 10 days. There could be some moving of certain players in and out to see how things look, but after the first week or so, it becomes all about reps as a unit. You have lots of little things that have to be detailed from special teams to how things work for play calls, substitutions, and somewhere in there, they have to plan and scout the first opponent too.

So, when you put on your own coaching hat, there is a lot that has to happen in a fairly short amount of time.

Coach may not name the QB until the last minute, but I think that is unlikely.

You have to set up your first & second units pretty quickly and then rep the heck out of everything.

If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. :Cool:

Very good post.

I'm clueless how HCSF will lay out the priorities in such a short time. That's a LOT of things to get right pronto......and the huge, HUGE need for as many reps as possible. That's why they make the big bucks I suppose.

I doubt you're wrong sir. My head spins just thinking about the 10 zillion things that need to be done "and" massively improved.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
The coaches having a depth chart and that depth chart being made public or even known outside the team are very different things.

So with the original post stating “ready for a depth chart....can’t be too much longer” I would say there is probably already a depth chart. However, I would bet that official depth chart comes out sometime mid to late week of the first game. Everything prior to that will be speculation.

Reactions: headcard
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT