ADVERTISEMENT

Fall Camp Week 4

Did you read my post or just the first part? He had one game over 2.8 YPC. 1 of 4. Thank god he played against Buffalo to get to 3.4 average, huh?

And I don’t mean to bust on the kid. Maybe he’s turned it around but dam, he didn’t look good at all last year. RJ and Yants did.
You mean “maybe he’s matured from being a frosh????”

Reactions: OzzyLvr
You mean “maybe he’s matured from being a frosh????”
img-14f73175-adb2-4b75-826e-0e9ea19a10ba.jpg

Did you guys see the pic of Devin Drew at practice today? Man, he just does not look in shape. I hope I'm wrong and he has that unique type of "old man" strength going for him.
He's more of a technician then a natural athlete. Film looked exactly like what we see here. His strength was his technique, not his strength.

He'll be good relief for Robinson or situational stuff

Reactions: mgbreis
I just love it when keyboard jockies know more than the coaches who are with them everyday.
And I love posters who use this as an excuse for why we aren’t allowed to criticize.

So by your account, they know best and are making all the right choices. So can I lock you down for a 10 win season then?

Or is it because I’m a fan and not a coach I’m not allowed to speak?

I appreciate this post. The thing that I worry about is you have two backs that literally torched NW last year and you potentially have them 3 and 4 on the depth chart going into NW? Really

We hear talk about “Gabe was on the verge” that’s speculative not a fact. The play he got injured on was because he missed the initial read. Had he read it right the first time, his doesn’t get hurt. He doesn’t have the athleticism or speed as RJ or size as Yant. Why screw up a winning hand? Scott has a massive history of over thinking crap and has lost all faith and credit IMO. This is typical Frost.

But again, I hope I’m wrong. I hope Ervin has found something other than just “knowing the whole playbook”.

The only other thing I’m thinking is those looks the media saw today were to fool NW. We saw Bill Busch say “hope you get some real good video”. found that quote rather interesting
Yeah, I don't disagree with that point. I did like what I saw out of Grant in the spring. For me, probably the best senario to open up the year would be to pound the **** out of NW with Yant and Grant and then have Rahmir spell them in certain situations just to give that added element. I do agree with you though, that even with our shitty line last year, we just pounded the piss out of NW with Yant and think we should do that again.

Their D is also very slow and their secondary is very suspect. Pound them with Yant and then torch them with the advantage we should have with our receivers over their secondary. After watching some of their videos online, they also don't have a LB that is fast enough to deal with a back out of the backfield or Vokolek and Brewington. Lot's to exploit with NW>

And I love posters who use this as an excuse for why we aren’t allowed to criticize.

So by your account, they know best and are making all the right choices. So can I lock you down for a 10 win season then?

Or is it because I’m a fan and not a coach I’m not allowed to speak?

You can speak - it's just that what you're saying is dumb.

Yeah, I don't disagree with that point. I did like what I saw out of Grant in the spring. For me, probably the best senario to open up the year would be to pound the **** out of NW with Yant and Grant and then have Rahmir spell them in certain situations just to give that added element. I do agree with you though, that even with our shitty line last year, we just pounded the piss out of NW with Yant and think we should do that again.

Their D is also very slow and their secondary is very suspect. Pound them with Yant and then torch them with the advantage we should have with our receivers over their secondary. After watching some of their videos online, they also don't have a LB that is fast enough to deal with a back out of the backfield or Vokolek and Brewington. Lot's to exploit with NW>
I think the rb's will be Grant, Ervin, Rahmir, Yant. Yant may get short yardage stuff too but otherwise won't see the field much.

I thought Allen was getting a lot of praise. Is he not in the mix?

They have upgraded their defensive line since last year with some portal transfers I think. And I don't care what we did to them last year. Five straight losing seasons. Six of the last seven. Until we can prove on the field that we can win, and win consistently, I will remain nervous about every game.

They have upgraded their defensive line since last year with some portal transfers I think. And I don't care what we did to them last year. Five straight losing seasons. Six of the last seven. Until we can prove on the field that we can win, and win consistently, I will remain nervous about every game.
Part of the problem for me is what are we comparing to? When you are looking at team that is winning only 3-4 games and you see someone standing out, does that really mean anything?

When the bullets are flying against good competition, we will see what we have.

while I do share the overall 'I need to see it' sentiment, northwestern is an absolute cupcake

we should cover the 2 TDs we're favored by going away

Part of the problem for me is what are we comparing to? When you are looking at team that is winning only 3-4 games and you see someone standing out, does that really mean anything?

When the bullets are flying against good competition, we will see what we have.
That is true, Tru. Last year, I think, subject to differing viewpoints, the NU defense was very good. The ineffectiveness (at times) of the offense, the rate of turnovers at the wrong time, and the lousy special teams, did not help the defensive effort one bit.

As you say, when the bullets are flying, us fans do not know how this team will respond, we already know how last year's responded in a 3 win season.

Just having a new OC, a new QB, a bevy of new receivers and mostly the same personnel in the OL lends itself to the unknown.

Defensively, NU may be as good overall on defense as last year. If the offense can show the ability to take care of the ball, have a decent to average running game, and the intensity and avoiding injuries, that will be needed on defense, I'm hopeful several of the losses that happened last year can be reversed.

Oklahoma, Michigan, Ohio State and Wisconsin were the games, in my opinion, that NU got beat in, but were all winnable. Playing really physically talented teams like OU, MU and OSU shows NU is capable if improvements happen.

If you think back to Year 1 of the Frost regime, the Michigan and Ohio State game were decided 10 minutes into the game. Despite losses, NU has shown last year, they are able to at least hang in there physically with those Top Ten type teams. We all know what is missing.

NU dominated Michigan State and still managed to get a L. Michigan State brought in a bunch of transfer guys and that nice back from Wake Forest and transformed that program in one season.

Even a USC team with 20 really talented newcomers will need to find a way to mesh all that talent, if they do, USC will move from a 7-4 type outfit to Top Ten potential. Given Lincoln Riley's history, it's not a stretch to think his team will put a ton of points on the board.

Like any other program that has struggled, NU has to take steps in multiple areas to reverse those type losses. Thus far in the Frost era, NU has found a way to lose. Since Frost had his fingerprints all over the offense, the addition of 4 new coaches on that side of the ball at least offers the possibility of improvement.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I don't really know what to make of these comments today from Joseph re: Omar Manning:

"[The WRs are] stepping up. I was happy that Omar showed up two days in a row," Joseph said on Wednesday, bringing up Manning unsolicited. "But they're all trying to step up and they're all trying to show leadership."

Asked a follow up on that, the coach added, "He practiced. He practiced two days in a row."

"... My job is to make sure my players get on the field and he's learning how to do some things that he didn't have to do in the past," Joseph said.

I don't really know what to make of these comments today from Joseph re: Omar Manning:

"[The WRs are] stepping up. I was happy that Omar showed up two days in a row," Joseph said on Wednesday, bringing up Manning unsolicited. "But they're all trying to step up and they're all trying to show leadership."

Asked a follow up on that, the coach added, "He practiced. He practiced two days in a row."

"... My job is to make sure my players get on the field and he's learning how to do some things that he didn't have to do in the past," Joseph said.
He thinks Omar can be lazy.

I don't know what he meant either, but Mickey has said the DB's got the better of the WR's a time or two. No doubt Mickey is trying to instill in them that they will be on the field and not rely on Mickey. We all know and played with leaders and they come in all shapes and sizes. It also comes easy for some, but not others.

You would "think" with Palmer, the new kid from Texas, and the NU returnees there would be plenty of voices trying to help lead the group.

Maybe, Omar moved his game up two days in a row, and practiced the way Mickey expects? But, just a guess.

The last part was a rip on the past. Maybe they took plays off if they weren't in the play, maybe they are required to make some precise depth patterns. Maybe just thinks the last 4 years of coaching WR's was subpar? Only Mickey knows what he meant.

I think Mickey is trying to ask/force/make them do some little things that make a difference. Maybe some REAL attention to detaii is what this team has been lacking and Joseph doesn't just look the other way.

In these coaching changes, it could be the new coaches are just trying to force these kids to try to learn how to win. It may not sink in until they play a game and see it actually does make a difference in winning and losing.

or frost + the credit union employee were soft as hell on these guys
Could be right again kong. Joseph said in his one presser that he's not gonna look away and pretend like he didn't see it. Could be some guys are taking a play or two off and Mickey is not gonna allow that to happen.

We don't know. I'd just as soon Mickey say directly what he means.

The easiest way to get one of their attention, is to move someone up to the top unit, and let the kid who is now sitting to decide if Joseph means it or not. Tough love in athletics never hurt anyone as long as it's legit and the kid has been told two or three times and still isn't willing to do what the position coach is asking. (Assuming the player knows and has already been taught).

Seems to me, the top coaches have to tell the kids one time and won't keep reminding them. NU just like Bama, have kids who are not in the top 6 just chomping at the bit to get on the field with the top unit.

Could be right again kong. Joseph said in his one presser that he's not gonna look away and pretend like he didn't see it. Could be some guys are taking a play or two off and Mickey is not gonna allow that to happen.

We don't know. I'd just as soon Mickey say directly what he means.

The easiest way to get one of their attention, is to move someone up to the top unit, and let the kid who is now sitting to decide if Joseph means it or not. Tough love in athletics never hurt anyone as long as it's legit and the kid has been told two or three times and still isn't willing to do what the position coach is asking. (Assuming the player knows and has already been taught).

Seems to me, the top coaches have to tell the kids one time and won't keep reminding them. NU just like Bama, have kids who are not in the top 6 just chomping at the bit to get on the field with the top unit.
even the qb

Reactions: king_kong_
even the qb
I'm not dogging Frost here, but Martinez, Jurgens and I'm sure a select few others got away with less than 100% effort every play and it didn't keep them from playing every snap.

Maybe Omar was one of those guys, but I'm not saying he was either. There was so much "favoritism" among some players the first 4 years that that is a habit with no playing time consequences and maybe Joseph and another coach or two are fighting to break those type habits.

Lot of guesswork in this post for sure.

No position group should be consistently out performing the others If so, it means our team sucks.

Except kickers.

If you think back to Year 1 of the Frost regime, the Michigan and Ohio State game were decided 10 minutes into the game. Despite losses, NU has shown last year, they are able to at least hang in there physically with those Top Ten type teams. We all know what is missing.

We were ahead of Ohio St at halftime on the road in year 1.

I’m pretty sure he meant that Frost and the B1G suck and we never should have left the big12

The recent interviews could not have been more different by the two QB's.

One is struggling with leadership, and the other is getting up to speed.

I think this is Chubba's team.

When/how that plays out, we will have to see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT