ADVERTISEMENT

Fall Camp Week 4

There is a very fine line these players need to navigate when asked about the offense under Whipple versus prior years.

extremely hard not to imply the prior guy in charge of the offense didn’t know what he was doing
It seemed to me under frosts first 4 years his offense did a good job with the first dozen plays that were scripted, after that play calling was like throwing darts with a blindfold on

It seemed to me under frosts first 4 years his offense did a good job with the first dozen plays that were scripted, after that play calling was like throwing darts with a blindfold on
Unlike Osborne whose first couple series often went nowhere running FB traps and options. But then when the defense began to bite on those the magic started to happen.

He must have been fairly decent throwing darts with a blindfold on as we finished 2nd in the conference (conference games only) in 2021, 4th in 2020 & 5th in 2019. The problem wasn't moving the ball between the 20's, it was redzone offense & inopportune (aren't they all) turnovers.

He must have been fairly decent throwing darts with a blindfold on as we finished 2nd in the conference (conference games only) in 2021, 4th in 2020 & 5th in 2019. The problem wasn't moving the ball between the 20's, it was redzone offense & inopportune (aren't they all) turnovers.
And overall execution:
Run plays don’t work when the D is in the backfield before the RB has a full grip on the ball.
Pass plays don’t work well when 3 or 4 man rushes can consistently get pressure in less than 3 seconds.
Pass plays also don’t work when the QB takes more than 4 seconds to make a decision to sling it and throws 1 INT for every 1.4 TDs (plus fumbles), hence your turnover comment.
…or QB steps out of bounds before the first down marker when scrambling.

All mostly unrelated to play calling.

But we still managed to produce some yards all around.

And overall execution:
Run plays don’t work when the D is in the backfield before the RB has a full grip on the ball.
Pass plays don’t work well when 3 or 4 man rushes can consistently get pressure in less than 3 seconds.
Pass plays also don’t work when the QB takes more than 4 seconds to make a decision to sling it and throws 1 INT for every 1.4 TDs (plus fumbles), hence your turnover comment.
…or QB steps out of bounds before the first down marker when scrambling.

All mostly unrelated to play calling.

But we still managed to produce some yards all around.

That we did as well as we did with glaring problems, a mistake prone QB, and very little NFL talent tells me Frost is a pretty good Xs and Os guy.

That we did as well as we did with glaring problems, a mistake prone QB, and very little NFL talent tells me Frost is a pretty good Xs and Os guy.
He’d probably make a good offensive coordinator at a place like Oregon.

Last edited:
Reactions: cubsker
BTN Bus Tour - seems like we have heard the same thing for about 10 years now ha.

QB might be improved or atleast have less turnovers. And the OL is still what?? Average at best.

I thought that was always one of the big criticisms of Pelini’s practices. A ton of guys standing around doing nothing, while the 1’s had long, detailed install periods.
And Callahan's practices too. It's tough for a team to improve much when 4/5 of the players are standing on the sideline pretending to be paying attention.

Reactions: headcard
And he had a mistake prone quarterback the entire 4 years. Don't forget that.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT