ADVERTISEMENT

Fall Camp Update: Day 4

Early notes,

- Josh Kalu has been running with the ones on D.

- "He coaches a lot like I did -- a little grumpy but he gets his point across," Milt Tenopir says of Mike Cavanaugh. "He'll get 'em going."

- Helmets and shoulder pads today.

Today's Notes,

- According to Severe: Oline struggling with Dline. Big drop off from 1st team to 2nd team....except for Foster "He's special".

- 1st Team OL: Lewis, Utter,Reeves, Kondolo, Sterup.

- Severe, after 3 practices ranks RBs.....Newby, Wilbon, Stevenson, in that order.

Today's Notes,

- According to Severe: Oline struggling with Dline. Big drop off from 1st team to 2nd team....except for Foster "He's special".

- 1st Team OL: Lewis, Utter,Reeves, Kondolo, Sterup.

- Severe, after 3 practices ranks RBs.....Newby, Wilbon, Stevenson, in that order.
I'll believe Stevenson is gonna play when I see him pick up a corner blitz. He has to have a bunch to learn.

I wonder who is on the second team?

Foster, Farmer, Givens-Price, Finnin, Hannon???

I'll believe Stevenson is gonna play when I see him pick up a corner blitz. He has to have a bunch to learn.

Almost certainly true that this year being the best runner on the team doesn't guarantee the starting job as running back. Need to be able to pass protect, and catch passes too.

GretnaShawn looks like Finnin Foster Thurston Givens Price and Gates. Although Sterup has not truly won the spot over Gates yet.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
Notes,

- The offense seemed bogged down today. 4th day of installing offense.

- Rosenthal, "Inconsistent" is a word Langsdorf used a couple of times to describe #Huskers offense, which did very little against defense Sunday.

- Rosenthal, “We’ve got to be able to hit some throws down the field. That hasn’t been very good," Langsdorf said.

- Gaskins, Tommy told me it was partly by design for this to be #Huskers hardest off practice so far. "(Coaches) told us it was going to be like that"

.- More and more it sounds like Terell Newby is separating himself from the pack...Wasn't he rated #67 overall out of high school?

-Jack Gangwish looked great tonight. He won several battles with Alex Lewis.

- Gaskins, "Drew Brown had a VERY solid series of FG makes into wind: 20 yd from left hash, 38 right, 43 & 45 left. Does not appear threatened."

- Sounds like the receivers are still struggling as a unit.

Last edited:
GretnaShawn looks like Finnin Foster Thurston Givens Price and Gates. Although Sterup has not truly won the spot over Gates yet.

That's really good news, to me at least, that Gates is progressing that fast. I was concerned for next year's sake that our main tackle rotation would be all seniors. Didn't even know that Gates had already passed Knevel, much less was pushing Sterup.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
What's the QB depth chart look like? Is Stanton about ready to over take Armstrong? ;)

Reactions: jeans15
I had expected Adam Taylor to be in the top three. Did he not practice? Is his recovery behind schedule? He is was a tremendous high school back.

They are in shorts. They are getting the newest guy a lot of reps near the top; for coming here and to see what we have.

2 things I get out of this which are both mostly positive...

A) our o-line not beating our d-line should be a given. How many o-lines in the nation could handle our d-line. Our o-line won't see a better defensive front 4 or 5 " sorry K Dub" all year.

B) Stevenson still has that HS swag that most players lose early from being humbled by older players. We see it so many times in sports that a guy starts doubting himself and bam, he loses his edge and starts losing abilility.

I'm starting to drink the kool-aid

It'll be interesting to see what changes when the pads come on. Probably more because I want him to succeed, but it is surprising that Adam Taylor is 4th right now. I thought he may make a push for #1. I thought he looked pretty good in the spring game.

It'll be interesting to see what changes when the pads come on. Probably more because I want him to succeed, but it is surprising that Adam Taylor is 4th right now. I thought he may make a push for #1. I thought he looked pretty good in the spring game.

The guys on Sharp and Benning, well Benning, said that he thinks that Coach Langs likes the smaller quicker backs, so maybe that is why right now it seems like Taylor is a bit lower than a lot of us would have thought.

Really early yet and the "depth chart" as given by reporters means little. I will be really surprised if Stevenson doesn't redshirt given how late he got to campus. Taylor is going to play. Who starts isn't a big deal and he'll have his role.

Whatabout Stevenson on kick off returns and some jet sweeps with DPE on the field.

More Notes,

-But when the quarterbacks had to deal with blitzes and more extended passing routes, they were either throwing into tight windows or eluding a strong pass rush from the top defense. Defensive coordinator Mark Banker mixed in some blitzes.

“He’s gotten fooled a couple times on some disguises,” Langsdorf said of Armstrong. “But our defense does that well. Coach Banker and the defense, they do a great job of mixing up looks, so it makes it hard, which is good for us. It’ll help us during the season.”

Nebraska gets a day off Monday. Captains voted to watch a movie at a theater, but Armstrong also plans to get in some of his own film watching during the first four days of practice, so he can recap all of the offense NU has already installed.

“We’re meeting a lot — meeting as much as we can, making sure we’re staying on top of our playbook,” Armstrong said. “It stinks to come out here and not know what you’re doing. You can tell when you know what you’re doing and when you don’t.”

- Langsdorf said Nebraska has been better at the “quicks” — or shorter routes — in camp. And the running game — which still has some zone read elements to it, combined with Riley’s staple fly sweep — appears to be coming along well. Several long runs were broken in practice, including one by Armstrong.

- All four quarterbacks — Armstrong, Ryker Fyfe, AJ Bush and Zack Darlington — struggled to identify open receivers down the field. Once they did, they often threw poor passes to those receivers.

More than once, Reilly blasted past his coverage assignment. More than once, it didn’t amount to much. Several receivers were slowed later with cramps or other ailments, which didn’t help. Several experienced walk-ons — who know the offense better than some of the newcomers — were filling in by the end of practice with the top offense.

Reactions: sparky62
Whatabout Stevenson on kick off returns and some jet sweeps with DPE on the field.
Tough decision on whether or not to burn a year for spot duty. Novel idea....it sounds like they've been going 1s on 1s. Yikes. Somebody must have listened to Milt and Charlie.

Tough decision on whether or not to burn a year for spot duty. Novel idea....it sounds like they've been going 1s on 1s. Yikes. Somebody must have listened to Milt and Charlie.

I say play him. If we continue to stockpile these backs why not boost the special teams by having stud return guys. I'm all for getting him on the field.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT