ADVERTISEMENT

Fall Camp Thread

It would have come out.
I thought it did come out that they “had been in touch,” and I would only assume Frost would have at least gave the impression he was welcome at Nebraska, but Milton very early expressed other interests.
How hard Frost pursued it would be between them…. but not pursuing him full force simply would be inexcusable in my opinion.
I could see Milton saying not returning casual interest and Frost not wanting to seem desperate.

While I don’t disagree, does this mean Haarberg has jumped Smothers? Last I heard, Smothers was still #2… wouldn’t he get a series here and there if true?
While I admit I’ll sip (or chug) kool aid because rational thoughts can just be boring,
I am genuinely concerned about what our backup QB situation will be like if AM were to get injured…. and I’ve critiqued AM’s play with vigor.
Many teams would be hurting missing their starter. And while AM has set the bar kind of low, can Smothers or Haarberg go get some W’s with the supporting cast?

Bottom line- we need to stay healthy as can be this year all around to have a chance.

Reactions: HuskerDubby
Sounds like Gabe Ervin could be the real deal. They seem to end every conversation with "But he still is a freshman" trying to tamper the koolaid, but sounds like he could get a lot of time this year. He was smooth as hell in the spring game and I can't wait to see him in the first game.

While I don’t disagree, does this mean Haarberg has jumped Smothers? Last I heard, Smothers was still #2… wouldn’t he get a series here and there if true?
I don't think there has ever been a depth chart made where Smothers was #2. Has there? If so, my bad.

Regardless, I don't think Smothers is a legit QB. Basically the same kind of guy as Luke McCaffrey.

From what I have seen, Haarberg has the best upside and even the staff has stated they don't have to do anything to his throwing motion etc.

Personally, I liked seeing the fire and leadership abilities from Haarberg during the spring game. I believe he has the best chance to resurrect Frost's tenure here, but I wouldn't want to throw him to the dogs as a true freshman like what happened with AM.

Ease him into some games, so when his time comes later in the year, he has at least some live reps under his belt.

I don't there has ever been a depth chart made where Smothers was #2. Has there? If so, my bad.

Regardless, I don't think Smothers is a legit QB. Basically the same kind of guy as Luke McCaffrey.

From what I have seen, Haarberg has the best upside and even the staff has stated they don't have to do anything to his throwing motion etc.

Personally, I liked seeing the fire and leadership abilities from Haarberg during the spring game. I believe he has the best chance to resurrect Frost's tenure here, but I wouldn't want to throw him to the dogs as a true freshman like what happened with AM.

Ease him into some games, so when his time comes later in the year, he has at least some live reps under his belt.
I just hope Haarberg the Howitzer doesn't scare away Dylan Riola

I don't think there has ever been a depth chart made where Smothers was #2. Has there? If so, my bad.

Yeah I definitely agree with this. I feel like we should try and get Smothers on the field as he is a good athlete, but it shouldn't be at QB. HH looked the part and I agree he could be a damn good one moving forward and we definitely need to try to get him game action as early as possible. Not the same, but it could be like 1992 when a Freshman comes off the bench and gives us the glimpse that makes the future bright.

With that said, I really do hope Martinez can finally break through. I am highly skeptical, but man would it be nice.

Yeah, I haven’t seen anything either I guess… just making assumptions. Good post. I appreciate it.

I think I read Raiola wants to see NU win before seriously considering, which seems reasonable IMO.

• Wow
Reactions: WHCSC
Raiola is a 2024, his mind will change 20 times between now and then depending on who else Clemson decides to recruit or sign, or how well the next QB does when he get there.
Looking forward to watching him play against our HS this fall... should be a great game... We'll see how good he is against a nasty defense

***Edit... after I posted this I got to thinking about how many stud QB's that Aledo has made look silly... Alan Bowman from Grapevine was one of the last ones... Top rated QB recruit that played 3 seasons for Texas Tech and has now transferred to Michigan! Kind of hope he starts so I can see the BlackShirts make his life hard... Just need a good Pass Rusher! Come on PD!!!

Last edited:
I think for me it's a wish, HH seems to have all the tools, I think Smothers might be more like Luke. I want to see AM look really good and early on have games in hand at start of Q4, then get HH a few series, it could happen with first several opponents, except OU.

delicious kool aid!!!!

I'm sipping it. We're going to be able to reliably pass the ball, Stepp and Gabe are thunder and lightning, veteran D that will shut all but the best offenses down, we have a kickoff guy, probably going to go 10-3 with losses to OU, Wisky, and Ohio St in the conf title game.

Koolaid.gif

Reactions: leodisflowers
I'm sipping it. We're going to be able to reliably pass the ball, Stepp and Gabe are thunder and lightning, veteran D that will shut all but the best offenses down, we have a kickoff guy, probably going to go 10-3 with losses to OU, Wisky, and Ohio St in the conf title game.

Koolaid.gif
That ain't Koolaid bro that is Maddog 20/20 or Ripple. Put that stuff down before you do something silly.

Koolaid.gif
based on recruiting rankings they should go 10-3 at least. No one in the division out recruits NEB.
the offense is almost full with 4 stars at most positions and a lot of experience.
if they dont win big now its all on the coaching staff. because the talent is there.
the talent is better than anyone in the division

Reactions: Kingslyfishao

Koolaid.gif
I’d love it if you’re right! Unfortunately, I’ve been kicked in the knackers too many times after guzzling the Big Red kool-aid.

Reactions: B1G RED RULES
might make checking recievers less complicated for our qb. use a fb in short yardage and inside the 20. really not loosing any options just different, sneakier options
We are already predictable in the red zone. Bringing in a full back probably doesn’t change lessen the predictability.

We are already predictable in the red zone. Bringing in a full back probably doesn’t change lessen the predictability.
exactly to the first sentence. depends on the second. horizontal plays are absolutely imbecelic with defenders bunched up at the los. sneaking fb out to flat might fool someone(hickman)

Could you imagine the eruption if they pulled something like that out of the playbook this year and we didn't see it coming? I sooooo miss the days of Makovicka & Schlesinger... I can still hear Joyce singing songs about them at Sidetracks

Reactions: Huskerfan2112
A couple of interesting photos I captured from huskers.com

Screen-Shot-2021-07-30-at-4-12-05-AM.png

notice the cross on Yant's pads?

Screen-Shot-2021-07-30-at-4-14-17-AM.png

Still needs to put on some weight, but such a great pic.

Reactions: ADV1 and timnsun
Couldn't find him listed on huskers.com on roster, but who is #91 I believe in DLine?
Was watching some of the husker online videos on YouTube and noticed him. At least looks the part. Couldn't see name on back of jersey

based on recruiting rankings they should go 10-3 at least. No one in the division out recruits NEB.
the offense is almost full with 4 stars at most positions and a lot of experience.
if they dont win big now its all on the coaching staff. because the talent is there.
the talent is better than anyone in the division
But there is this pesky little thing called coaching & development…

Couldn't find him listed on huskers.com on roster, but who is #91 I believe in DLine?
Was watching some of the husker online videos on YouTube and noticed him. At least looks the part. Couldn't see name on back of jersey
According to huskers.com roster that's Cameron Pieper, Sophomore Long Snapper from Lincoln Southwest

ADVERTISEMENT