ADVERTISEMENT

Fall Camp Thread

Still a big mistake not trying to get his old QB from UCF or another portal QB. With that said, you start AM, not a freshman.
I agree that he should have gone after Milton… did he not even try? I don’t remember reading anything other than Milton chose FSU. If we didn’t even try to connect with him, doesn’t make a lot of sense.

which begs the question, once more: what is the point of having him start the season?

his ceiling is, what, 6-7 wins? then he's gone and we're starting someone new the following season?

2021 is a wash. let's actually keep building instead of rinsing and repeating the last 3 years on offense.

moral victories and a meaningless bowl game would represent a 4-year summit for the AM-led Huskers. it is an exercise in futility when we could use this free season to get valuable experience for the next leader, whose ceiling 3-4 years from now will unquestionably be higher than AM's this year, if only due to the maturation of our roster and Frost's work in turning it over to your earlier point.

I agree that seven wins is not exactly a stellar breakthrough but Frost, Trev, pretty much any of the former players in the media and around the program all come from an environment where consistent play was highly prized if only for building momentum.

Again I don't believe trev is going to count a bowl season and a three win season the same just because we don't bring home a title. I don't believe him or Scott believe it's the best thing for the supposedly best team Scott has had to say well we had a chance at a decent season but we're going to throw this green prom king out there to see what we have for two years down the road when we might win something we care about.

Most of the vibe from thise guys is you need a base level of success to build upon and then make a play for those higher awards.

I agree that seven wins is not exactly a stellar breakthrough but Frost, Trev, pretty much any of the former players in the media and around the program all come from an environment where consistent play was highly prized if only for building momentum.

Again I don't believe trev is going to count a bowl season and a three win season the same just because we don't bring home a title. I don't believe him or Scott believe it's the best thing for the supposedly best team Scott has had to say well we had a chance at a decent season but we're going to throw this green prom king out there to see what we have for two years down the road when we might win something we care about.

Most of the vibe from thise guys is you need a base level of success to build upon and then make a play for those higher awards.
And think about how much more difficult recruiting would be with a 3 win season than a 7 win season.

Reactions: timnsun
And think about how much more difficult recruiting would be with a 3 win season than a 7 win season.
Yah and this is a state that has prided itself on being the most consistent program in college football for half a century. You're not going to just convince folks that the only thing that matters is titles and the rest of the seasons are garbage.

Especially going into the playoff and now super conference era. The days of NU and OU taking turns taking home 40 trophies is over. You have to have something to hang your hat on that isn't hardware because even a radically improved NU is going to be bringing home hardware all that often.

getting Haarberg meaningful reps this year is the best thing that could happen to Frost and our future

farting around with AM any longer won't win us games in the near term and will cost us valuable experience long term

we need to cut our losses. AM staying arguably caused the most long-term damage of any player in Frost's first class.

2021 season is meaningless anyway. we all agree Frost isn't going anywhere no matter what happens, and we have less than a snowball's chance in hell to win any meaningful games, so why not see if we have an actual player in #10?
Haarberg is competing now isn’t he?SF needs to get one of the backup’s some reps in a game but both are competing now during fall camp..

I feel more comfortable with 2AM starting the season on the road against B1G opponent than throwing Haarberg O or Smothers in if they can’t beat him out during fall camp..

Last edited:
I agree that he should have gone after Milton… did he not even try? I don’t remember reading anything other than Milton chose FSU. If we didn’t even try to connect with him, doesn’t make a lot of sense.
Milton was not interested in coming to Nebraska to compete with a 3 year starter. I remember reading at least one story that said he wanted to stay in Florida. On our side of things, I'm not sure Milton was a sure thing to ever be able to return from his injury. I don't think we needed another guy on scholarship who wasn't physically near 100%.

Still a big mistake not trying to get his old QB from UCF or another portal QB. With that said, you start AM, not a freshman.
I'm not sure Milton will ever take another snap in a game in college. His injury was horrific and if he does play, opposing defenses are going to make him try to use his legs. IMO, Vedral was a better option for us given that Vedral was available and healthy.

I'm not sure Milton will ever take another snap in a game in college. His injury was horrific and if he does play, opposing defenses are going to make him try to use his legs. IMO, Vedral was a better option for us given that Vedral was available and healthy.
I think he is going to be the starter at Florida State.

Also I don’t think him and Vedral were available at the same time. Milton was in the portal this year

Last edited:
The last two years AM has been throwing to WR's that you would not pick on your dorm floor flag football team.
More like he has just been throwing to air as he is nowhere close to the WR's a lot of the time. He shouldn't have too many excuses this year as I think we have a decent group that will have separation. With Toure, Betts, Martin, Nixon, Brown, Liewer, Falck, and Manning and also add the the new WR group with Grimes and Neville, there is plenty of talent. He needs to be able to make reads and actually hit the WR.

what's 'ready' mean? Haarberg isn't 'ready', but will be in a year?

what is AM 'ready' to do? why not start a freshman when the last time we did it, it was the kid's best season?

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
More like he has just been throwing to air as he is nowhere close to the WR's a lot of the time. He shouldn't have too many excuses this year as I think we have a decent group that will have separation. With Toure, Betts, Martin, Nixon, Brown, Liewer, Falck, and Manning and also add the the new WR group with Grimes and Neville, there is plenty of talent. He needs to be able to make reads and actually hit the WR.
*gulp*

Reactions: BrighteRed24
Is that the UNI dude?

It will be about time that NU gets a transfer like that who ends up being a badass.
Heinrich, Kolaveric, Remmers. Linebackers should be a strength especially with Dawson coaching them up

I hope Martinez can prove me wrong. Seems like he can hit a receiver if they were running free as in a Junior high game with no one within 10 yards.

Knowing RB is a question, Held’s comments today didn’t give me a ton of confidence.
Just typical coach speak tempering any kool aid, but…
while not reading too much into it, it wasn’t the commentary I would hope for.
Too many “issues” for my liking.
Feels like “well I hope we can find some guys who can get the job done”
instead of
“I get paid to have my room ready and they’re going to be ready.”

Knowing RB is a question, Held’s comments today didn’t give me a ton of confidence.
Just typical coach speak tempering any kool aid, but…
while not reading too much into it, it wasn’t the commentary I would hope for.
Too many “issues” for my liking.
Feels like “well I hope we can find some guys who can get the job done”
instead of
“I get paid to have my room ready and they’re going to be ready.”
I didn't get that vibe. They are 4 days in and there are 7 guys competing for a job. He has to be critical of all of them, and positive enough to keep them working hard and thinking they have a shot at playing time. In the end, 2 of the 7 will step up, and a 3rd will get some carries. The others will be special teams and late game guys.

I think he is going to be the starter at Florida State.

Also I don’t think him and Vedral were available at the same time. Milton was in the portal this year
Exactly. That's what I meant by "Vedral was available". IF Milton starts at FSU it will be because of his arm talent. His best attribute though was his ability to extend plays and pick up critical yards with his feet when things broke down. I hope FSU can protect him. The bottom line though is that there was no way he was coming to Nebraska. FSU had an open job.

Heard a few tidbits tonight from someone in the know.

Martinez looking as quick as he ever has. Down some weight and has had several minor injuries the last two years that limited his running, but is healthy now. Has looked much better throwing the ball down the field. Has a long leash, no decision yet at backup but Smothers for now. HH is coming though.

Manning is a dude. Toure also a dude. We should be significantly better at WR.

Reimer, Henrich, and Kolarevic all pretty much even at ILB.

D should be solid across the board, season lies with Adrian.

I hope Martinez can prove me wrong. Seems like he can hit a receiver if they were running free as in a Junior high game with no one within 10 yards.
I agree. I really hope he does prove me wrong, because I feel like if he just limits his mistakes and makes our offense where you can't just key on one element we might be a pretty good football team.

Martinez looking as quick as he ever has. Down some weight and has had several minor injuries the last two years that limited his running, but is healthy now. Has looked much better throwing the ball down the field. Has a long leash, no decision yet at backup but Smothers for now. HH is coming though.

First time in awhile that we've had 3 solid LB'ers. If Kolarevic and Henrich are on Reimer's level, that means we are getting some development at that position because Reimer is a stud. I feel like our D could be good. Decent depth and size up front, sounds like some decent ILB's and our secondary is serviceable. Just need a pass rush. Hopefully Pheldarius gets it done.

***My sleeper is Buckley making some noise early this fall.***

5il8uy.jpg

If Frost is smart, he will start easing Haarberg into the games right away. A drive here and there etc, they are going to need someone who can operate it effectively sooner or later.

If Frost is smart, he will start easing Haarberg into the games right away. A drive here and there etc, they are going to need someone who can operate it effectively sooner or later.
While I don’t disagree, does this mean Haarberg has jumped Smothers? Last I heard, Smothers was still #2… wouldn’t he get a series here and there if true?

What makes you think Frost didn’t contact Milton? Seriously? Frost said how much he loved the kid when he hurt his knee, but you don’t think Frost called him and asked him to come to NU?

cool. thx.
hoping we can lean on the big RBS and giant TEs.

The last two years AM has been throwing to WR's that you would not pick on your dorm floor flag football team.
Now that is an exaggeration. Martin was here and so was Wandale. Betts played some and Liewer was every bit as good as some of the guys Tom played back in the day Martin didn't play until later in the year and once he did that helped to have a guy who could stretch the field a little bit. That said, I think our WR corp will be much better this year. Getting Toure was a big deal. I read one national analyst that said Toure was an upgrade over Wandale. We'll see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT