ADVERTISEMENT

Fall Camp Thread

Bo is that you?

Next question.

DYTVKRZGGANHTEA.20081014183134.jpg

Water is wet. This is a given considering we have one of the worst HC/staffs in the Big Ten. Recruiting is already going down the tubes and it will only get worse after Frost fails again this year.

Perhaps Trev has the balls to get rid of him after this year but doubtful. We will likely have to wait it out until next year.
I think Frost is safe regardless, but Trev - I hope - has the balls to make Frost hire actually college football assistants. Trev’s talk about how the BIG has elite coordinators, etc., is great when you look at us and our potential, in that we don’t have any of that.

Article says Illinois has 40 returning seniors/super seniors on the roster.
… and let’s not forget what they did in Lincoln last year.

New coach or not, that game HAS to go in our favor. I know there’s another thread about how important Week 0 is with more eyes on us than normal perhaps, being that first game.

It fits here as the change in practice rules (reduced contact) doesn’t do us any favors for preparation, save injury reduction.

Frost’s job is to have the team ready to go and it simply needs to happen.
I’m not worried about Illinois. They have a new coach. Look what Frost did to Colorado with a first year coach…

Damn, it’s so difficult to have any confidence with Frost leading this program. Dear Lord, please help him turn the corner in year four.

I think Frost is safe regardless, but Trev - I hope - has the balls to make Frost hire actually college football assistants. Trev’s talk about how the BIG has elite coordinators, etc., is great when you look at us and our potential, in that we don’t have any of that.

It's too late for new coordinators/assistants.....you don't get a do-over (restart) after year 4! Well you don't at any other Power 5 schools especially "elite" ones.

Time to ride or die with what you got...

I hope he wins, and a lot, just to piss you off.
I want Frost to win.
I was on board with the Frost hire.
I've never said Frost should be fired.
I know you can't handle rational arguments, and can only debate on emotion, but there has been no improvement on key things like dumb turnovers, special teams, game management, play calling, and offense in general. The defense has improved some but we still can't rush the passer.

Based on rational, objective measures, Frost is not going to win at Nebraska enough to keep his job. I'm guessing he has at least one more year as long as he gets 5 wins. If he gets 7 or 8 he buys a couple years. Nine or 10 and the kool aid will flow like the waters of the Nile.

I want Frost to win.
I know you can't handle rational arguments, and can only debate on emotion, but there has been no improvement on key things like dumb turnovers, special teams, game management, play calling, and offense in general. The defense has improved some but we still can't rush the passer.

Based on rational, objective measures, Frost is not going to win at Nebraska enough to keep his job. I'm guessing he has at least one more year as long as he gets 5 wins. If he gets 7 or 8 he buys a couple years. Nine or 10 and the kool aid will flow like the waters of the Nile.
I have two schools of thought on Frost. One is he may in fact be an offensive genius, but all that time at Oregon and UCF he didn't have to deal with the pressures of being Nebraska's head coach. He did the Xs and Os and let someone else worry about special teams and talking about conference issues, et al. As unfortunate as it is to pay a coach $5M to learn on the job, perhaps the light will finally go on this year that he has to let Lubick plan the offense and he has to be the CEO directing all aspects of a football program. If he manages the team better and also deals with behavior issues, fumble issues, etc. rather than being one of the boys, we might have a pretty good year despite the schedule. Also, maybe Trev will free him up from non-football stuff, so he has more time with the team.

The other school is you can't paint spots on a tiger and expect him to be a leopard. You are what you are. So far we have seen unprepared teams, mind-numbing game plans and in-game decisions, and overall disorganization in so many ways. That might just be "Frost Football"...the way it is.

Like most everybody else, I hope we have a good year and School 1 prevails. However, now later in life, I have learned the you can't paint spots on a tiger school usually prevails, so I'm strapping my seatbelt for another ugly season.

Yep. Just need to be multiple and have just a couple of guys step up. I think our offense will be really potent if this happens because now teams just can't spy Wandale to slow us down. With that said, it all comes down to the QB. If Adrian looks like dog shit early, I'm all for inserting HH and just telling Adrian to move on. He is going to get some nice NIL money and that should be a nice parting gift if he can't perform.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I have two schools of thought on Frost. One is he may in fact be an offensive genius, but all that time at Oregon and UCF he didn't have to deal with the pressures of being Nebraska's head coach. He did the Xs and Os and let someone else worry about special teams and talking about conference issues, et al. As unfortunate as it is to pay a coach $5M to learn on the job, perhaps the light will finally go on this year that he has to let Lubick plan the offense and he has to be the CEO directing all aspects of a football program. If he manages the team better and also deals with behavior issues, fumble issues, etc. rather than being one of the boys, we might have a pretty good year despite the schedule. Also, maybe Trev will free him up from non-football stuff, so he has more time with the team.

The other school is you can't paint spots on a tiger and expect him to be a leopard. You are what you are. So far we have seen unprepared teams, mind-numbing game plans and in-game decisions, and overall disorganization in so many ways. That might just be "Frost Football"...the way it is.

Like most everybody else, I hope we have a good year and School 1 prevails. However, now later in life, I have learned the you can't paint spots on a tiger school usually prevails, so I'm strapping my seatbelt for another ugly season.

I don't think someone growing and improving at their job is unheard of. Heck it should be expected.

I want Frost to win.

I know you have problems with comprehension and just want to pinch people you don't agree with. As I told Dingle, I agree with Frost's under-performance, and have a body to posts to that effect. So there's that.

Your second sentence bothered me. If you really believe Frost can't turn the program around this season, then you doubtless would have had a pitchfork ready for TO as well. The Voices From the Grandstand wanted him replaced because, ya, 9-3 and the occasion bowl win was fine but he couldn't beat OU until 78. So what good was he? Here's a reminder.......TO gave a serious look at the sCUm job just because of that. Guess you would have been confident with the VFTG crowd back then.

IF you want to embrace the prospect of a poor season just to be proven right then that's on you.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
tenor.gif

Uh...did you forget the score of that game or did I miss the sarcasm??
Yes, it’s my twisted sarcasm that has helped me cope with the first three years. I am deadly serious when I say I hope he turns it around in year four. I much prefer being confident about our program versus skeptical.

I know you have problems with comprehension and just want to pinch people you don't agree with. As I told Dingle, I agree with Frost's under-performance, and have a body to posts to that effect. So there's that.

Your second sentence bothered me. If you really believe Frost can't turn the program around this season, then you doubtless would have had a pitchfork ready for TO as well. The Voices From the Grandstand wanted him replaced because, ya, 9-3 and the occasion bowl win was fine but he couldn't beat OU until 78. So what good was he? Here's a reminder.......TO gave a serious look at the sCUm job just because of that. Guess you would have been confident with the VFTG crowd back then.

IF you want to embrace the prospect of a poor season just to be proven right then that's on you.
Sheesh you're butthurt.
Do I have a pitchfork out for Frost? Did I say we should fire him in my post?
If I didn't, your entire rambling post is moot and irrelevant.

Comparing people wanting to fire Tom when he was winning 9 games a year (always overexaggerated btw) with me saying Frost needs to win some games but won't is quite a stretch, but here you are.

Your final sentence also comes out of nowhere, you are putting words in my mouth because you have to.

Sheesh you're butthurt.
Do I have a pitchfork out for Frost? Did I say we should fire him in my post?
If I didn't, your entire rambling post is moot and irrelevant.

Comparing people wanting to fire Tom when he was winning 9 games a year (always overexaggerated btw) with me saying Frost needs to win some games but won't is quite a stretch, but here you are.

Your final sentence also comes out of nowhere, you are putting words in my mouth because you have to.
Hard to believe but you are actually dumber than an Iowa troll. Own your words.

And in case you didn't read what I said, 9-3 and some bowl wins had some fans----kinda like you----so pissed at TO that he seriously considered the sCUm job, so it was not exaggerated.

I'll go slowly for you. You don't think Frost can win out this season. Your words.

And in case you didn't read what I said, 9-3 and some bowl wins had some fans----kinda like you----so pissed at TO that he seriously considered the sCUm job, so it was not exaggerated.

I'll go slowly for you. You don't think Frost can win out this season. Your words.
Not following your logic here.
I don't believe Frost will ever succeed at Nebraska but I hope Nebraska wins 9 games this season.. These statements alone is not embracing the prospect of a poor season, just to be right.

I hope Nebraska only wins 3 games and Frost is removed. That statement is embracing the prospect of a poor season, just to be right.

You're making no sense.
The posts are there for judgement, so whatever.

I’m not worried about Illinois. They have a new coach. Look what Frost did to Colorado with a first year coach…

Damn, it’s so difficult to have any confidence with Frost leading this program. Dear Lord, please help him turn the corner in year four.
What did frost do to Colorado?

In fairness, he made the changes after going 7-7
And prior to getting fired the next

The quote was that you don’t get a chance
to replace both coordinators after 4 years in power 5 football. And we “played for a title” after getting absolutely curb stomped by Colorado.

And prior to getting fired the next

The quote was that you don’t get a chance
to replace both coordinators after 4 years in power 5 football. And we “played for a title” after getting absolutely curb stomped by Colorado.
There were a lot of timing issues that precluded Solich from getting fired after the 7-7 season. Pederson was hired December 20, 2002. Far too late to make a coaching change. Solich had already fired Bohl, Barnes and Darlington back in early December, and had nearly wrapped up the hiring of Pelini (Dec 22).

Pederson wanted to get rid of Solich, but had to wait a year. Had Pederson been hired in late November rather than late December, Solich wouldn't have gotten a chance to change his DC.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Yes, but what happens when Trev tells him he has to let go of somebody, and Frost says "nah." If this year sucks, I suspect there will be a guy or two let go at TA's bidding, which would buy Frost another year or two, save for a terrible performance in '22.

Is that a vote of "no confidence" I see?

I sort of question Nebraska's mentality vis a vis the checkbook. The state writ large and the administration. We wanna be good at football, but I don't know that we've ever gotten over the "value proposition" that modern football seems to turn on its head.

There are still alot of fans who are like, why do we need to pay a top coach 5-7 million, and have the coordinators make a couple mill each and so on down the line, when TO used to win making a quarter mill a year with 100 walk-ons from Brainard. We seem to carry on this attitude that there can't be any better meal than Valentino's because you can stuff your gut for $9.

Our OC still only makes 500K, which is a good amount for what NU has traditionally paid, but its not in keeping with what an elite OC would make in the SEC.

We know with Scott at least, he's going to roll with his guys so Trev trying to talk him into a more merc attitude about assembling a staff will probably not happen. But I don't know that Trev is going to necessarily have the viewpoint that he needs to get $20 million annually for the top coaching staff in CFB to come here if Frost gets fired either. They both come from environments where the whole was greater than the sum of its parts.

I sort of question Nebraska's mentality vis a vis the checkbook. The state writ large and the administration. We wanna be good at football, but I don't know that we've ever gotten over the "value proposition" that modern football seems to turn on its head.

There are still alot of fans who are like, why do we need to pay a top coach 5-7 million, and have the coordinators make a couple mill each and so on down the line, when TO used to win making a quarter mill a year with 100 walk-ons from Brainard. We seem to carry on this attitude that there can't be any better meal than Valentino's because you can stuff your gut for $9.

Our OC still only makes 500K, which is a good amount for what NU has traditionally paid, but its not in keeping with what an elite OC would make in the SEC.

We know with Scott at least, he's going to roll with his guys so Trev trying to talk him into a more merc attitude about assembling a staff will probably not happen. But I don't know that Trev is going to necessarily have the viewpoint that he needs to get $20 million annually for the top coaching staff in CFB to come here if Frost gets fired either. They both come from environments where the whole was greater than the sum of its parts.

Not sure I agree with this. Frost is making bank, and the assistants haven't proven themselves to be worthy of top $$. When Frost came here, he was in the driver's seat because he was thoroughly trusted, but in year 4, unless the team is impressive, he will have lost that trust and he will be in no position to be making demands on anyone, especially the new AD who isn't going to be made a fool. If we underperform again, I am confident that there is going to be hard talk between those two because Frost doesn't have the capital anymore to act like his shit doesn't stink. If Frost really wants to be here for more than another year or two, he'll play ball if that situation arises. Regarding having to spend a ton on a new coaching staff, I don't think that a high price tag is going to necessarily be a deterrent if he thinks it will get us back to prominence.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I don't think someone growing and improving at their job is unheard of. Heck it should be expected.
I see some growth on the Defensive side of the ball. Offense has been going in reverse. Special Teams has always been horrid! Would love to see the team as a whole show signs of growth this year and that is on the Head Coach and his staff.

I want Frost to win.

I want the above as well, however. I will say it. He gets to 5 wins this year and has 5 out of 6 losing seasons as a head coach and keeps his job because why? Money? Because he is a NC qb alum? Seriously. If that is the case, fire his ass. Not sure what the problem is, or why people are afraid to call him out (well I do, because he is a native son). No business minded AD would keep him around after four consecutive losing seasons at a program. Nor should they.
Begging for 6 wins in year four? Who does that? Kansas fans?. Produce in year four or be the Tampa Bay Bucs DB coach. Nothing hard about it. Call it like it is. No one should have to defend themselves for calling his ass out. Produce or fire some of your NAIA- level assistants, That might buy him another year. And it is the ONLY reason for him to continue as Nebraska's coach for another year if he's lucky. It is a business and he is the CEO. The dude needs to be held accountable and only a few, like yourself, do that. Even as a husker fan, continue to speak your mind. Or you will be just another blind homer trying to make excuses for a piss-poor coaching job through three years. and according to the national pundits, this year more than likely, as well..

Last edited:
I want the above as well, however. I will say it. He gets to 5 wins this year and has 5 out of 6 losing seasons as a head coach and keeps his job because why? Money? Because he is a NC qb alum? Seriously. If that is the case, fire his ass. Not sure what the problem is, or why people are afraid to call him out (well I do, because he is a native son). No business minded AD would keep him around after four consecutive losing seasons at a program. Nor should they.
Begging for 6 wins in year four? Who does that? Kansas fans?. Produce in year four or be the Tampa Bay Bucs DB coach. Nothing hard about it. Call it like it is. No one should have to defend themselves for calling his ass out. Produce or fire some of your NAIA- level assistants, That might buy him another year. And it is the ONLY reason for him to continue as Nebraska's coach for another year if he's lucky. It is a business and he is the CEO. The dude needs to be held accountable and only a few, like yourself, do that. Even as a husker fan, continue to speak your mind. Or you will be just another blind homer trying to make excuses for a piss-poor coaching job through three years. and according to the national pundits, this year more than likely, as well..
The only reason it would be understandable that he would be allowed another year after a five year season is simply because we're all tired of the revolving door coaching. I, and many fans, are past the "native son" situation (not just because of the win/loss column.) You are right, another losing season and he's probably going to have to hire some new assistants if he wants another chance.
If he has a 5-6 win season I could see it going either way as regards to firing/retaining him, and honestly I'd be fine either way as of right now (season circumstances can change that opinion either way). I'm tired of the losing but I also know that another re-start isn't ideal.

At the absolute most he has only two years left of 6 wins or less. Probably only two years of 7 or less.
I don't want to even fathom the thought of winning 0-4 this season and what that would mean.

Surprised that people aren't going crazy over having fan day and spreading the delta to all of husker nation, the players and staff. cancel the season!
spread to the whole team and staff now. Build that immunity NOW so there's no disruption a month from now.

Reactions: BleedRed78
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT