ADVERTISEMENT

Fall camp 2.0

Yantzeee

Junior
Nov 25, 2021
Hoping the staff is treating this week as fall camp 2.0. So much to re-work on both sides.

Busch has a difficult job in front of him but I think he can pull something together. One thing to keep in mind about Bill is he’s very likable and trustworthy. You can see that by how he recruits. I’ll always remember the rickey thenarse story.

Bill is also actually a pretty dam good coach. At his short time @ LSU he put 3 guys in the NFL and one was a 2 time All American under him. You can say he had talent but he also brought the talent out. Remeber he wasn’t @ LSU when it really all fell apart . Tiger fans will tell you their safety play suffered after he left.

granted he hasn’t been a D-Cord before but he’s been a ST Cord. So he does have some experience leading units. And he’s coached safeties, so he understands the field very well. If his D can give us a chance to beat Indiana then he can keep building. next 5 aren’t OU.

D doesn’t have to shut out anyone, just keep it do-able and hope our offense can generate points. That seems like a tuff task because of the o-line but you can scheme around that. Not everyone has the 90s cowboy lines. Run some more misdirection so the penetration hurts their D. Call more quick throws. But not the WR screen crap. Quick hitches. Whip said he has a lot of stuff, let’s see it. For this team. Maybe he wants to call plays for the team he wishes he had. Let’s scheme on what we’ve got. Let’s be honest, Casey’s doesn’t have time and he doesn’t have the arm for deep balls.

And I know people have already gave up on Mickey after one game but that’s just not fair. Definitely not fair to the players or the program. I still believe we have talent but we are consumed at trying to fix our weaknesses vs trying to make it work. I believe we have depth at D-line and our secondary is getting older by the day. If the coaches win these next two weeks, I think we can have a good rest of the season. Remember Bo got smoked by Mizzou his first year and we rebounded and beat Clemson in a bowl. I’d take that kind of ending. Probably won’t happen that way but I’d take a bowl.

Last edited:
I was excited also and thought they could use this week to get a jump on the restart. Then I heard that they are only practicing on Tuesday and Thursday?

Something about the week 0 game affecting the number of practices they can have and the total number of practices already.

There’s lots of work to do.

• Wow
Reactions: BleedRed78
Just so we’re clear, our defense is what? #128 out of #131?
The task is monumental, but there will literally be improvement if you scrap all scheme and tell 11 guys to avoid blocks and go tackle the guy with the ball. So let’s not overcomplicate it.

Learn how to line up, stay close to opponents running routes, sidestep blockers, and find the ball to tackle the ball. Run hard until the whistle blows. Maybe even learn a couple blitzes.

Despite the 10 yr old 5th grade recess approach, I’m pretty sure that mantra would get us out of the 120’s in total defense.

If you could teach a few guys that on 3rd down, most routes will go for the 1st down line, then you’d really get crazy advanced with the idea of situational awareness.

This improvement could even happen if you trotted out 11 walk-ons who play offense, meaning climbing out of the cellar should not be that flippin hard when coaches are paid aplenty to teach other guys how to do the aforementioned.

"I know people have already given up on Mickey"

Not here. I knew OU was completely out of our league. I picked NU to win but that was merely based on my wishful thinking.

I've never been so interested in playing Indiana. I think that game will realistically set the tone for the rest of the season.

We are where we are. One game at a time, starting with Indiana.

Hoping the staff is treating this week as fall camp 2.0. So much to re-work on both sides.

Busch has a difficult job in front of him but I think he can pull something together. One thing to keep in mind about Bill is he’s very likable and trustworthy. You can see that by how he recruits. I’ll always remember the rickey thenarse story.

Bill is also actually a pretty dam good coach. At his short time @ LSU he put 3 guys in the NFL and one was a 2 time All American under him. You can say he had talent but he also brought the talent out. Remeber he wasn’t @ LSU when it really all fell apart . Tiger fans will tell you their safety play suffered after he left.

granted he hasn’t been a D-Cord before but he’s been a ST Cord. So he does have some experience leading units. And he’s coached safeties, so he understands the field very well. If his D can give us a chance to beat Indiana then he can keep building. next 5 aren’t OU.

D doesn’t have to shut out anyone, just keep it do-able and hope our offense can generate points. That seems like a tuff task because of the o-line but you can scheme around that. Not everyone has the 90s cowboy lines. Run some more misdirection so the penetration hurts their D. Call more quick throws. But not the WR screen crap. Quick hitches. Whip said he has a lot of stuff, let’s see it. For this team. Maybe he wants to call plays for the team he wishes he had. Let’s scheme on what we’ve got. Let’s be honest, Casey’s doesn’t have time and he doesn’t have the arm for deep balls.

And I know people have already gave up on Mickey after one game but that’s just not fair. Definitely not fair to the players or the program. I still believe we have talent but we are consumed at trying to fix our weaknesses vs trying to make it work. I believe we have depth at D-line and our secondary is getting older by the day. If the coaches win these next two weeks, I think we can have a good rest of the season. Remember Bo got smoked by Mizzou his first year and we rebounded and beat Clemson in a bowl. I’d take that kind of ending. Probably won’t happen that way but I’d take a bowl.
He has been a DC at Utah St

Going to be an interesting rest of the season if Busch can instill some life into this historically awful defense. There was a post in another thread that said Jay Foreman thinks that there are many guys on defense who are just loafing and not putting in much effort at all. That says a lot does it not about the devotion of the players to Chinander? Look, we can engage in a caricature of the "dumb football player" but the fact is these guys have a lot of football intelligence. And because they do understand the game they knew that Chinander was an idiot who doesn't know his butt from a gun barrel with regard to defensive schemes. And when you line up and you already know this is not a good alignment, you are set up for failure, and so you loaf.

Damn I hope that changes soon. We can still make a bowl game and it would be sweet, sweet, sweet to beat Wisky and Iowa this year if we can.

Going to be an interesting rest of the season if Busch can instill some life into this historically awful defense. There was a post in another thread that said Jay Foreman thinks that there are many guys on defense who are just loafing and not putting in much effort at all. That says a lot does it not about the devotion of the players to Chinander? Look, we can engage in a caricature of the "dumb football player" but the fact is these guys have a lot of football intelligence. And because they do understand the game they knew that Chinander was an idiot who doesn't know his butt from a gun barrel with regard to defensive schemes. And when you line up and you already know this is not a good alignment, you are set up for failure, and so you loaf.

Damn I hope that changes soon. We can still make a bowl game and it would be sweet, sweet, sweet to beat Wisky and Iowa this year if we can.
And just a short 6 weeks ago the local sports media was drooling over chinander saying he’s ready to a head coach somewhere

It's gotta be really tough to coach this team right now. If Mickey is really going to make practices more difficult when the team is used to having it easy, and players are going to be asked to give a great effort rather than sort of make it look like they are trying hard. Well, kids are going to resist that.

And then the question is, what do you do next? Throw kids out of practice or give in and let them continue with the false effort? If we notice certain regulars no longer getting to play, then we'll know that the practice standards really are higher and it's not just talk.

Personally, I am excited to see a defense not coached by Chins. His scheme was horrible! I want to see an aggressive defense with corners that don't play 10 yards off the ball.
I agree. The problem is Busch will not be able to correct, in a few short weeks and months, all of the bullshit habits instilled into these players by the previous coach. Our only hope is that the players themselves were actually sick of failure and the coach that brought them there and might just be itching to take it up a notch under a new guy. Time will tell...

When a coach on a national broadcast (Meyer) says, "I don't know what Nebraska is doing on defense, they don't disguise anything" it makes a neophyte like me wonder just WTF is going on? How can we not be doing the most basic stuff to participate in the "chess match" between offense and defense?

When a coach on a national broadcast (Meyer) says, "I don't know what Nebraska is doing on defense, they don't disguise anything" it makes a neophyte like me wonder just WTF is going on? How can we not be doing the most basic stuff to participate in the "chess match" between offense and defense?
Yep. I really sat up and took extra notice when Meyer said that. Quite a bold thing to say on national TV. Did not mince words or try to sugarcoat it. He just flat-out said Nebraska's defense was utterly predictable.

Just so we’re clear, our defense is what? #128 out of #131?
The task is monumental, but there will literally be improvement if you scrap all scheme and tell 11 guys to avoid blocks and go tackle the guy with the ball. So let’s not overcomplicate it.

Learn how to line up, stay close to opponents running routes, sidestep blockers, and find the ball to tackle the ball. Run hard until the whistle blows. Maybe even learn a couple blitzes.

Despite the 10 yr old 5th grade recess approach, I’m pretty sure that mantra would get us out of the 120’s in total defense.

If you could teach a few guys that on 3rd down, most routes will go for the 1st down line, then you’d really get crazy advanced with the idea of situational awareness.

This improvement could even happen if you trotted out 11 walk-ons who play offense, meaning climbing out of the cellar should not be that flippin hard when coaches are paid aplenty to teach other guys how to do the aforementioned.
Have you ever really played football? Just linenup 11 guys and tell them to find the ball. Wonderful. Sheesh, you zero idea how complex a D is. Amazing

Yep. I really sat up and took extra notice when Meyer said that. Quite a bold thing to say on national TV. Did not mince words or try to sugarcoat it. He just flat-out said Nebraska's defense was utterly predictable.
It is. Quite easy to tell what coverage they're in pre-snap by how they line up, and they hardly blitz or mix anything up. That's how Georgia Southern gashed us. They knew exactly what defense we were running and took advantage of it.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
It is. Quite easy to tell what coverage they're in pre-snap by how they line up, and they hardly blitz or mix anything up. That's how Georgia Southern gashed us. They knew exactly what defense we were running and took advantage of it.
In this era of offensive football that's the equivalent of just admitting you're getting out-coached and can't really do anything about it.

Have you ever really played football? Just linenup 11 guys and tell them to find the ball. Wonderful. Sheesh, you zero idea how complex a D is. Amazing
Oh I’m just being sarcastic. The idea is based on playing school yard defense would likely improve us from #128 out of #131 when we have top 50 level “talent/athletes” (despite what some say.)
All our current “scheming” has done is sunk us into the basement.

But in reality, I am respectful to the difficulty of playing defense. If other “lowly” schools paying coaches far less and working with ‘lesser’ athletes can make it into the top 80 nationally, we should also be able to reasonably expect such things.

Formation the husker defense into a 5 man box, gash with inside zone. Repeat.

It's gotta be really tough to coach this team right now. If Mickey is really going to make practices more difficult when the team is used to having it easy, and players are going to be asked to give a great effort rather than sort of make it look like they are trying hard. Well, kids are going to resist that.

And then the question is, what do you do next? Throw kids out of practice or give in and let them continue with the false effort? If we notice certain regulars no longer getting to play, then we'll know that the practice standards really are higher and it's not just talk.
BUT. maybe these kids are so resigned to losing they might take advice from new coaches if it means a win and a bowl. If Frost was as bad of an example they maybe some guys just didnt give a damn. My best bosses have been great motivators who reenergized me.

And if you read between the lines he said Nebraska’s defense sucks

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
ADVERTISEMENT