ADVERTISEMENT

Eye Test

JabroniBlvd

Sophomore
Nov 5, 2005
After watching 5 different games so far this season including the Minnesota Ohio St game --- I can truly say that our defense at least just looking at our players etc we are on par and IMO better off than what I have watched so far. I would take Harrison from OSU for the D line and other than that I was not impressed like I have been in the past in comparison. However, the O-line from MN and Ohio St look far and away better than what we have, along with Ohio St having athletes all over the place and we do not. It will be interesting to see the rest of the B10 west this weekend, but I think the only gap we will see is the OL/run game. THIS IS THE PROBLEM! Our WR and TE are more than capable. AM is not that good, but there aren't a lot of good QB in the B10 - they just rely on heavy run and easy PA passes outside of OSU who has 5* players all over.

I wanted to be wrong on my opinion about our O-line, but I figure they were being talked up more than necessary, I watched Piper play in high school and I seriously thought he was a UnK /Wayne state player at best, I thought maybe these D1 coaches see something the average guy doesn’t and they can develop. The problem is, if I could see that 3-4 years ago and so far piper is what I thought he’d be, unathletic and slow, are our other lineman any good? Jurgens seems like he’s got the it factor to be tough and alil nasty but we need every one to be that way, I’d love to have Richie Incognito back in the lineup, minus all his psycho drama.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I think our O Line will be really good in '22 and '23. they're almost all underclassmen.
dont think they know what they are supposed to do. look confused and out of sync. even if they just moved to the right spot and got ran over they would be better off. sometimes they actually look as if they are avoiding contact. know this cant be true but it's as if on one hand they are all if top physical condition from the off season but it's really hard to get up off the ground

dont think they know what they are supposed to do. look confused and out of sync. even if they just moved to the right spot and got ran over they would be better off. sometimes they actually look as if they are avoiding contact. know this cant be true but it's as if on one hand they are all if top physical condition from the off season but it's really hard to get up off the ground
It took the d line 5 years in some cases to get to where they’re passing an eye test

O line will get there. Development moves at a snail’s pace under this offensive staff

It took the d line 5 years in some cases to get to where they’re passing an eye test

O line will get there. Development moves at a snail’s pace under this offensive staff
i dont even know what to say. give em all jumping ropes, slim down 20-30lbs and tell them if they dont know who to block on a given play, then just find someone and make a showing of it. standing around has a really bad look to it while your qb is running for his life.

As disorganized and ineffective the OL is, at the point of attack and in pass pro, someone is not making the correct calls at the line of scrimmage. It’s been that way for several years. If that doesn’t get fixed, the line will never be any good. Last night both Minnesota and OSU both had really good OL play. They came off the ball and created seams that anyone could run thru.

As disorganized and ineffective the OL is, at the point of attack and in pass pro, someone is not making the correct calls at the line of scrimmage. It’s been that way for several years. If that doesn’t get fixed, the line will never be any good. Last night both Minnesota and OSU both had really good OL play. They came off the ball and created seams that anyone could run thru.
Setting the calls at the line would be the job of the guy the head coach called ‘the next Dave Rimmington’

I think we'll need Nash on the interior of the line next year to take over for Daniel's and Stille.

Daniels and Riley are both technically JRs...I think Black will be a force in the middle. Nash will be a good NT - just think we could use him MORE on the OL

I think we have talent as well till the all conference teams come out and the NFL draft.....exposed
The big eye opener for me was watching the Va Tech UNC game after the Nebraska Illinois game. Those teams have some dudes. We dont have anywhere close to the level of talent of those teams. Winter is coming for this NU squad. Purdue and Northwestern our are only hope for getting any more wins.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
The big eye opener for me was watching the Va Tech UNC game after the Nebraska Illinois game. Those teams have some dudes. We dont have anywhere close to the level of talent of those teams. Winter is coming for this NU squad. Purdue and Northwestern our are only hope for getting any more wins.
That's the only teams I could come up with.

After watching 5 different games so far this season including the Minnesota Ohio St game --- I can truly say that our defense at least just looking at our players etc we are on par and IMO better off than what I have watched so far. I would take Harrison from OSU for the D line and other than that I was not impressed like I have been in the past in comparison. However, the O-line from MN and Ohio St look far and away better than what we have, along with Ohio St having athletes all over the place and we do not. It will be interesting to see the rest of the B10 west this weekend, but I think the only gap we will see is the OL/run game. THIS IS THE PROBLEM! Our WR and TE are more than capable. AM is not that good, but there aren't a lot of good QB in the B10 - they just rely on heavy run and easy PA passes outside of OSU who has 5* players all over.
Defense overall is decent, but I think lack of a elite pass rushers and mediocre corner play are going to be a problem against OU and tOSU.
Against the rest of the schedule, the "special" teams play and offense will make getting to 20 points a weekly struggle.
Not expecting many more wins. Hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: kakdawg
We beat a MAC team with a new coach and a ton of new players after a mass defection, who beat Wagner, a school smaller than Concordia, and now people are crowing about who we are just as good as Ohio State or maybe better?

I guess I can't fault fans for being hopeful. Just keep a helmet handy when everything crashes and burns.

We beat a MAC team with a new coach and a ton of new players after a mass defection, who beat Wagner, a school smaller than Concordia, and now people are crowing about who we are just as good as Ohio State or maybe better?

I guess I can't fault fans for being hopeful. Just keep a helmet handy when everything crashes and burns.
Who’s crowing that we’re as good as Ohio State? I see a lot of posters being negative though.

I wanted to be wrong on my opinion about our O-line, but I figure they were being talked up more than necessary, I watched Piper play in high school and I seriously thought he was a UnK /Wayne state player at best, I thought maybe these D1 coaches see something the average guy doesn’t and they can develop. The problem is, if I could see that 3-4 years ago and so far piper is what I thought he’d be, unathletic and slow, are our other lineman any good? Jurgens seems like he’s got the it factor to be tough and alil nasty but we need every one to be that way, I’d love to have Richie Incognito back in the lineup, minus all his psycho drama.

I think the fact that Iowa also offered Piper would tell you that he has the potential. However I don’t know if they were recruiting him as an OL or DL.

Reactions: BleedRed78

I have not heard anyone say anything remotely close to this.

ADVERTISEMENT