Extremists Are Using Lies to Undermine America’s Public Schools

LBhusker

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Mar 27, 2002
I've been a public school teacher for 27 years. I get the union argument and school boards are useless--especially when considering you don't even need a degree or teaching experience to get voted in).

Is it true there are bad teachers. Absolutely. However, it's easy to critique from afar when you haven't been in the grind. We play multiple roles besides content instruction. Psychologist, counselor, etc....The problem begins in the home. Over 60 % of my kids (Southern California) come from divorced families and that doesn't even count the levels of dysfunctionality among those other families. Many kids are not ready to learn and education is not a huge priority in some cultures. Parents need to step it up, especially the fathers in our country.

Secondly, teaching is not easy when you're dealing with multiple issues and lack of funding. Class size is imperative at all levels. I'm teaching history with 35+ students and sometimes larger. The individual attention needed is impossible.

BTW, I know many kids that went through various private high schools and the workload was easier than many public high schools. But continue to toss out the insults when many of my colleagues and I are working intently and making a huge difference in thousands of students lives.

EriktheRed

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
I've been a public school teacher for 27 years. I get the union argument and school boards are useless--especially when considering you don't even need a degree or teaching experience to get voted in).

Is it true there are bad teachers. Absolutely. However, it's easy to critique from afar when you haven't been in the grind. We play multiple roles besides content instruction. Psychologist, counselor, etc....The problem begins in the home. Over 60 % of my kids (Southern California) come from divorced families and that doesn't even count the levels of dysfunctionality among those other families. Many kids are not ready to learn and education is not a huge priority in some cultures. Parents need to step it up, especially the fathers in our country.

Secondly, teaching is not easy when you're dealing with multiple issues and lack of funding. Class size is imperative at all levels. I'm teaching history with 35+ students and sometimes larger. The individual attention needed is impossible.

BTW, I know many kids that went through various private high schools and the workload was easier than many public high schools. But continue to toss out the insults when many of my colleagues and I are working intently and making a huge difference in thousands of students lives.
Probably your first post I’ve mostly agreed with. Most teachers bust their butts to make a difference and some of them, which I’d imagine is a small population insert their agendas. The parenting is the biggest problem or lack there of. College professors are completely different and there are lots of asshats among that population. At UNL in a creative writing class half the time was spent from the lecturer I’ll call her about her lesbian relationship. She wondered why there was a lack of attendance. If more was focused on the subject matter and more resources were focused on science, math, and English we’d be better served. History classes are important as well so we don’t repeat the same mistakes that are avoidable.

Catch50

Athletic Director
Feb 5, 2003
Such garbage. Take your false fear-mongering elsewhere.

Nobody wants public schools privatized. That said, more and more people are considering private school as the public sector grows increasingly liberal and agenda based. Nothing like telling a bunch of 5 year-olds that they’re inherently racist because they were born with light-colored skin.
There is nothing like Calculus, Physics, Chemistry, constructions, computer programming, database administration, accounting, auto shop, welding, plumbing, etc. Some of us, unlike you, keep going forward.

Catch50

Athletic Director
Feb 5, 2003
Probably your first post I’ve mostly agreed with. Most teachers bust their butts to make a difference and some of them, which I’d imagine is a small population insert their agendas. The parenting is the biggest problem or lack there of. College professors are completely different and there are lots of asshats among that population. At UNL in a creative writing class half the time was spent from the lecturer I’ll call her about her lesbian relationship. She wondered why there was a lack of attendance. If more was focused on the subject matter and more resources were focused on science, math, and English we’d be better served. History classes are important as well so we don’t repeat the same mistakes that are avoidable.
Half the parents who seem to be failing are trying. They have their own issues, especially with work. Bad kids (often resulting from peer pressure) fail their parents. Now parents who do drugs,etc. are definitely at fault.

Last edited:

RedHour

Recruiting Coordinator
Gold Member
Feb 22, 2008

Parents should be more involved, and parents and teachers should be a team in educating the kids. I think too many parents think it's only the teachers' job.

Reactions: EriktheRed
Aug 31, 2001
There is nothing like Calculus, Physics, Chemistry, constructions, computer programming, database administration, accounting, auto shop, welding, plumbing, etc. Some of us, unlike you, keep going forward.

Literally nothing you said had anything to do with what I posted.
Do you think kids in grades 3rd and under should be introduced to sexual matters at public school?

Catch50

Athletic Director
Feb 5, 2003
Literally nothing you said had anything to do with what I posted.
Do you think kids in grades 3rd and under should be introduced to sexual matters at public school?
No.

But you make too big a deal of it. Stop talking about this shit and TALK about the subjects I mentioned.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Aug 31, 2001
No.

But you make too big a deal of it. Stop talking about this shit and TALK about the subjects I mentioned.

I’m all about the subjects you mentioned. Too bad your political party is more interesting in pushing trans agendas and sexuality to small children than actually teaching real academics.

Catch50

Athletic Director
Feb 5, 2003
I’m all about the subjects you mentioned. Too bad your political party is more interesting in pushing trans agendas and sexuality to small children than actually teaching real academics.
I really never hear it brought up. Except by you guys.

Husker Hank

Nebraska Legend
Gold Member
Jul 29, 2009
Such garbage. Take your false fear-mongering elsewhere.

Nobody wants public schools privatized. That said, more and more people are considering private school as the public sector grows increasingly liberal and agenda based. Nothing like telling a bunch of 5 year-olds that they’re inherently racist because they were born with light-colored skin.
and that they should really consider being gender deviant

Reactions: VirginiaWildcat

ScarletNCream

Athletic Director
Jan 4, 2007
Oh yeah…no democrats lost their sh*t over the Florida bill. 🤦‍♂️ At least TRY to be honest.

Remember the fear mongering mentioned in the article in the OP that you all said was stupid? Well you’re arguing right now using one of the most common right wing media fear mongering points. Maybe the article wasn’t that stupid?

Aug 31, 2001
Remember the fear mongering mentioned in the article in the OP that you all said was stupid? Well you’re arguing right now using one of the most common right wing media fear mongering points. Maybe the article wasn’t that stupid?

I don’t see the comparison. The liberal outrage over the Florida bill was legitimate. Do you deny that?

ScarletNCream

Athletic Director
Jan 4, 2007
I don’t see the comparison. The liberal outrage over the Florida bill was legitimate. Do you deny that?

The LGBTwhatever crowd had outrage, most liberals I’ve seen talk about it have been consistently saying “Why the fvck is this an issue? Let’s just not talk to kids about sexual orientation”

Aug 31, 2001
The LGBTwhatever crowd had outrage, most liberals I’ve seen talk about it have been consistently saying “Why the fvck is this an issue? Let’s just not talk to kids about sexual orientation”

Now you’re not being honest. It was mainstream liberalism that had outrage…including the president and his staff. It’s a little to late to distance yourself from that one.

Reactions: RedMyMind

RedHour

Recruiting Coordinator
Gold Member
Feb 22, 2008
No.

That’s like saying quit talking about the turd in the punch bowl and drink the punch.

Catch50

Athletic Director
Feb 5, 2003
That’s like saying quit talking about the turd in the punch bowl and drink the punch.
1) Put the turd in the toilet

2) Flush the toilet

3) Beat the sh@t out of the mfer who did it.

Simple.

Tuco Salamanca

Head Coach
Aug 18, 2016
Albuquerque
Not publicly they were saying this isn't an issue. That is the issue with our world right now, everyone is afraid to speak their truth. They don't want to be labeled as a racist, homophobe, xenophobe or whatever. So they just let shit run wild, because, well it doesn't affect me. Very few people, left or right are going to put their face or their name on anything that is viewed as controversial, because when they do, there is backlash. It is no longer about acceptance to some people. It has devolved from acceptance to you now must support our opinion or we will make your life hell.

I have written this before, but it doesn't seem you believe it. But when the Armed Forces of the United States of America are requiring cadets, airmen, soldiers and sailors to attend training on proper use of pronouns, it has gone too far. That isn't "What the fvck is the issue?" The same thing is being done at the schools. I am also an educator, and like it or not, we are "encouraged" to call kids by their pronouns. Imagine the confusion when you take off points on Straight Sally because she didn't properly use a pronoun, but Non-Gender Nancy gets it right.

Every issue looks small, until there are 100 issues. Then just one is what puts people over the edge and people like you say, I don't understand why this is such a big issue.

Catch50

Athletic Director
Feb 5, 2003
Not publicly they were saying this isn't an issue. That is the issue with our world right now, everyone is afraid to speak their truth. They don't want to be labeled as a racist, homophobe, xenophobe or whatever. So they just let shit run wild, because, well it doesn't affect me. Very few people, left or right are going to put their face or their name on anything that is viewed as controversial, because when they do, there is backlash. It is no longer about acceptance to some people. It has devolved from acceptance to you now must support our opinion or we will make your life hell.

I have written this before, but it doesn't seem you believe it. But when the Armed Forces of the United States of America are requiring cadets, airmen, soldiers and sailors to attend training on proper use of pronouns, it has gone too far. That isn't "What the fvck is the issue?" The same thing is being done at the schools. I am also an educator, and like it or not, we are "encouraged" to call kids by their pronouns. Imagine the confusion when you take off points on Straight Sally because she didn't properly use a pronoun, but Non-Gender Nancy gets it right.

Every issue looks small, until there are 100 issues. Then just one is what puts people over the edge and people like you say, I don't understand why this is such a big issue.
I agree with you 100% that the pronoun stuff is B.S.

king_kong_

First Team All-Big Ten
Nov 4, 2021
If there’s a bigger joke going than our public school system I’d like to see it

I honestly think the dmv is driving better outcomes than public schools

every public school teacher has completely checked out of society

RedHour

Recruiting Coordinator
Gold Member
Feb 22, 2008
If there’s a bigger joke going than our public school system I’d like to see it

I honestly think the dmv is driving better outcomes than public schools

every public school teacher has completely checked out of society
Can’t really blame teachers for checking out. Have you met parents?

king_kong_

First Team All-Big Ten
Nov 4, 2021
Can’t really blame teachers for checking out. Have you met parents?
The act of choosing to become a teacher is the precise moment teachers check out

that their job is hard exacerbates the fact these are very very low output individuals who are totally uninterested in competition, entrepreneurship or anything else that tends to drive society forward

they want an acceptable way to work 7 months/year with zero responsibility and even less effort

Aug 31, 2001
The act of choosing to become a teacher is the precise moment teachers check out

that their job is hard exacerbates the fact these are very very low output individuals who are totally uninterested in competition, entrepreneurship or anything else that tends to drive society forward

they want an acceptable way to work 7 months/year with zero responsibility and even less effort

Dude…I’ve been a teacher for 20+ years, along with coached, summer school, tutoring, and spent many of my own funds on students. Your gross overgeneralization of all teachers is pathetically ignorant. I know many other teachers dedicated like me and rooted in conservatism. Yeah, we’re swimming upstream against a liberal culture, but we’re doing our best. Don’t sh*t on the good guys(and gals). I expect an apology.

Reactions: Balfor and RedHour

Catch50

Athletic Director
Feb 5, 2003
Just gonna refuse to admit you were wrong, huh? Mainstream liberals EVERYWHERE were boohooing about the Florida bill. You. Were. Wrong.
I didn't say the Dems weren't. I'm saying Republicans bring up these issues out of nowhere.

king_kong_

First Team All-Big Ten
Nov 4, 2021
Dude…I’ve been a teacher for 20+ years, along with coached, summer school, tutoring, and spent many of my own funds on students. Your gross overgeneralization of all teachers is pathetically ignorant. I know many other teachers dedicated like me and rooted in conservatism. Yeah, we’re swimming upstream against a liberal culture, but we’re doing our best. Don’t sh*t on the good guys(and gals). I expect an apology.
I know there are good teachers.

I am talking about the other 99.95% of you.

Tetonia

Junior
Jan 22, 2022
There are definitely still good teachers out there, and those who are able to continue teaching despite having conservative values. Probably a big difference based on region. US Dept of Education as a whole though, is an abysmal failure. Policy being sent down from in high is straight up Activist. Communist values.

The federal influence over our kids education needs to be severed. This needs to be given to states/communities to regulate.

Catch50

Athletic Director
Feb 5, 2003
There are definitely still good teachers out there, and those who are able to continue teaching despite having conservative values. Probably a big difference based on region. US Dept of Education as a whole though, is an abysmal failure. Policy being sent down from in high is straight up Activist. Communist values.

The federal influence over our kids education needs to be severed. This needs to be given to states/communities to regulate.
Can you show specific federal laws?

Tetonia

Junior
Jan 22, 2022
Can you show specific federal laws?
Well, start with the stuff we’re all arguing about, the forcing of CRT and ‘Gender Fluidity’ into mainstream education. You can’t deny it’s being done purposefully, and most folks, even D’s, don’t want this trash being forced upon their kids. These are fringe left policies.

and then just look at the quality of HS graduates coming out of public schools now compared to in the past. If you’re a Youngster I’m sure you’ll be defensive about this, naturally, and like most other comparisons it’s really a lesson in statistics, but in a nutshell HS graduates are helpless Pussies compared to 30y ago. A LOT had degraded in the last generation in regards to kids coming out and being self-sufficient. Wonder what % of 25 y/o’s are living with their parents now compared to in the past… or in tents? That’s kinda the same. Do you live in a tent or with your parents?

Latest posts