ADVERTISEMENT

Extension for Fred!!!!!

Yes that was an important win. If he's retained, and I expect he will be because team is improving, he better have a replacement for walker and greisel. There's some decent talent that's young but without those 2 .....oh my

I hope you guys are joking. For starters, his contract is through the 2027 season…that’s watching another freshman recruiting class graduate, which doesn’t even happen anymore, especially with Fred. This would be worse than the Frost extension as Hoiberg is currently the worst coach in the program’s terrible history in winning percentage. It’s clear a lot of folks don’t understand how bad that is.

You really want to extend him based on a win over a Penn State team that refused to shoot 2 point shots? I get maybe not firing him at the end of this season, but there is no way in hell Alberts is extending him. He reduced his pay in the middle of massive inflation for God’s sake. Again, hope at least one of you is being sarcastic, I can’t tell.

The only way I would even consider another year if Nebraska avoids playing the first day of the B1G tournament.

Which means they have to find a way to beat Wisconsin and Minnesota at home and upset either Maryland at home or the Herky’s in Ioway City..

I hope you guys are joking. For starters, his contract is through the 2027 season…that’s watching another freshman recruiting class graduate, which doesn’t even happen anymore, especially with Fred. This would be worse than the Frost extension as Hoiberg is currently the worst coach in the program’s terrible history in winning percentage. It’s clear a lot of folks don’t understand how bad that is.

You really want to extend him based on a win over a Penn State team that refused to shoot 2 point shots? I get maybe not firing him at the end of this season, but there is no way in hell Alberts is extending him. He reduced his pay in the middle of massive inflation for God’s sake. Again, hope at least one of you is being sarcastic, I can’t tell.
I feel like it's said in jest. Another year , likely. An extension, not likely this year.

Ok, he’s ‘improved’ his record from last year but not sure he’s improved his process. Good article from Shatel yesterday regarding apparent failure to build relationships with Nebraska high school coaches. Long term, not sure the constant plug and play with kids from the portal will work in the Big Ten.

You guys are way closer to N's situation than me, but I remember K-State running off Dana Altman too. Changing coaches may seem like a reasonable fix, but it's too often illogical based on facts. I thought N was pretty salty when State played them in Kc. Injuries happen. And then there's the question, who y'all going to get to Lincoln?

Reactions: AdaminLincoln
You guys are way closer to N's situation than me, but I remember K-State running off Dana Altman too. Changing coaches may seem like a reasonable fix, but it's too often illogical based on facts. I thought N was pretty salty when State played them in Kc. Injuries happen. And then there's the question, who y'all going to get to Lincoln?
Awful take.

Ok, he’s ‘improved’ his record from last year but not sure he’s improved his process. Good article from Shatel yesterday regarding apparent failure to build relationships with Nebraska high school coaches. Long term, not sure the constant plug and play with kids from the portal will work in the Big Ten.
Relationships or not. Fred must bring more talent in. Cmon Hoiberg. Bring in more talent.

K-State didn't "run off" Dana Altman. He willingly fled Manhattan for Omaha, for reasons fairly obvious to anyone who's been to both cities.

Who y'all gonna git when Jerome Tang, like nearly every one of his predecessors, leaps at the opportunity to coach and live elsewhere?

Last edited:
Give those two assistants a pay raise. I like this year's team. Fundamentally, they are much better. The team discipline & effort is much improved. I think Fred's doing a better job, but it's the assistant coaches who are making the difference. And this is coming from a frequent critic of the Nebraska program.

This is the best coached Nebraska team we've had in many years-- probably since Tim Miles had Craig Smith.

K-State didn't "run off" Dana Altman. He willingly fled Manhattan for Omaha, for reasons fairly obvious to anyone who's been to both cities.

Who y'all gonna git when Jerome Tang, like nearly every one of his predecessors, leaps at the opportunity to coach and live elsewhere?
Loser coach leaps like Bill Snyder, Chris Klieman, Jack Hartman? LOL. Manhattan is a great college town in one of the fastest growing metro areas in the country, about to open a $2 billion federal laboratory and lots of other allied activity. K-State is coming off a championship football season and coach Tang could bring a second in hoops his first season.

Manhattan metro area in Kansas reported 38.1% population growth in the last five years, the second most among 381 U.S. metro areas with available data. The latest data from the U.S. Census Bureau's American Community Survey shows that Manhattan's population grew to 133,932 from 97,004 in 2016.

• Haha
Reactions: zrob
I think Fred stays. Maybe he's learning how to win again. Worst case scenario next season turns into 22 Frost. I think he needs a tournament appearance or a few wins in the big 10 tournament or TA gets rid of him. Does his buyout get less ever?

Loser coach leaps like Bill Snyder, Chris Klieman, Jack Hartman? LOL. Manhattan is a great college town in one of the fastest growing metro areas in the country, about to open a $2 billion federal laboratory and lots of other allied activity. K-State is coming off a championship football season and coach Tang could bring a second in hoops his first season.

Manhattan metro area in Kansas reported 38.1% population growth in the last five years, the second most among 381 U.S. metro areas with available data. The latest data from the U.S. Census Bureau's American Community Survey shows that Manhattan's population grew to 133,932 from 97,004 in 2016.

Wow, you only had to go back to Jack Hartman to find a BB coach who stayed? And to think he only retired 37 years ago - I stand corrected!

Tang was an excellent hire - which is why he'll bolt out of there at the very first opportunity, just like Dana Altman and every single coach who followed Hartman.

• Love
Reactions: dinglefritz
Weber was in Manhattan a decade. Won two conference championships and went to the E8. Tang could have gone to many schools before taking the K-State job. Stick to N sports.

Yeah changing coaches is a bad idea, explains why K-State now has a Top 10 team a year after firing Bruce Weber for having 3 straight losing seasons. They should have kept Bruce!

Yeah changing coaches is a bad idea, explains why K-State now has a Top 10 team a year after firing Bruce Weber. Awful decision.
Weber was in Manhattan a decade. Won two conference championships and went to the E8.

Weber was in Manhattan a decade. Won two conference championships and went to the E8. Tang could have gone to many schools before taking the K-State job. Stick to N sports.
Look man, you're the pretentious gasbag who chose to come here and run y'allllllls mouth off about Nebraska not being able to attract a BB coach, and tell a big fat lie about K-State running off Dana Altman. No need to be a crybaby just because someone points out how every decent coach* who lands in Manhattan leaves as soon as possible.

*Except for a guy who's been dead for 25 years

Last edited:
Look man, you're the pretentious gasbag who chose to come here and run y'allllllls mouth off about Nebraska not being able to attract a BB coach, and tell a big fat lie about K-State running off Dana Altman. No need to be crybaby just because someone points out how every decent coach* who lands in Manhattan leaves as soon as possible.

*Except for a guy who's been dead for 25 years
Where did I say N was "not being able to attract a BB coach"?

I was at K-State when Altman was run, like Weber, he wasn't fired, he quit. His B8 record was 19-37.

Bill Snyder was in Manhattan for three decades. Jack Hartman coached here 16 years. Tex Winter 15 years.

Stop with the rubbish.

Where did I say N was "not being able to attract a BB coach"?

I was at K-State when Altman was run, like Weber, he wasn't fired, he quit. His B8 record was 19-37.

Bill Snyder was in Manhattan for three decades. Jack Hartman coached here 16 years. Tex Winter 15 years.

Stop with the rubbish.
Altman bolted for a better job in a better city, and never looked back. Weber limped out of town as his pink slip was being prepared and will never coach again.

Yeh, pretty much exactly the same situation.

I highly doubt we will want to throw away 10 million. Fred can coach and develop. His kids have played hard and smart for the most part. The two injuries really hurt the team. We have several players where they show glimpses in some games. Our two main seniors are the key cogs this year. But we won the last game without strong games from Walker and Griesel. That is a positive. Keisei appears to be the best offensive weapon returning in 2023-2024.

So many potential returning players show some promise but are glimpses and not enough to feel very confident of their games to lead us next year into the tournament. Trev is the leader of an athletic department where the men’s basketball program is mediocre at best. Not an enviable position, at all. But to say we are a sleeping giant is total fantasy. We aren’t even a solid basketball program. So, even for a really good salary, who would come here with USC and UCLA practically automatic better teams than Nebraska in 2024?

Fred has to entice more four and five position players of quality to come here. Plus get a natural point guard of stature on the court. I think he stays for at least one more year and can’t say it is a strategic gamble or mistake. We have few bargaining chips because our complete history shows few NCAA tourney invites and NO wins. Enough said on reality.

Last edited:
Reactions: PvilleHuskerTim
Give those two assistants a pay raise. I like this year's team. Fundamentally, they are much better. The team discipline & effort is much improved. I think Fred's doing a better job, but it's the assistant coaches who are making the difference. And this is coming from a frequent critic of the Nebraska program.

This is the best coached Nebraska team we've had in many years-- probably since Tim Miles had Craig Smith.
He defensive coach is leaps and bounds better, too bad he didn't bring the coaches he has now from the beginning.

Reactions: Dean Pope
Altman bolted for a better job in a better city, and never looked back. Weber limped out of town as his pink slip was being prepared and will never coach again.

Yeh, pretty much exactly the same situation.
19-37. That was Dana's K-State B8 record.

18-46. That was Greg McDermott's ISU conference record. He wasn't fired either.

Last edited:
And yet Altman was named Big 8 Coach of the Year in 1993, just one year before bolting for a better job and putting Manhattan in his rear view mirror forever.
In what universe do you live: Creighton a better job than K-State in the early 1990s? K-State was then the winningest program in the B8. Altman's tenure was the beginning of the long fall that ended with Bob Huggins.

Fn6TvodaQAAmIM4

Last edited:
In what universe do you live: Creighton a better job than K-State in the early 1990s? K-State was then the winningest program in the B8. Altman's tenure was the beginning of the long fall that ended with Bob Huggins.
Huggins only landed there because he was downright toxic after his messy divorce with the University of Cincinnati. But K-State did manage to keep him for a full 12 months - I'll give you that.

I'm guessing Tang lasts about twice that long.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I highly doubt we will want to throw away 10 million. Fred can coach and develop. His kids have played hard and smart for the most part. The two injuries really hurt the team. We have several players where they show glimpses in some games. Our two main seniors are the key cogs this year. But we won the last game without strong games from Walker and Griesel. That is a positive. Keisei appears to be the best offensive weapon returning in 2023-2024.

So many potential returning players show some promise but are glimpses and not enough to feel very confident of their games to lease us next year into the tournament. Trev is the leader of an athletic department where the men’s basketball program is mediocre at best. Not an enviable position, at all. But to say we are a sleeping giant is total fantasy. We aren’t even a solid basketball program. So, even for a really good salary, who would come here with USC and UCLA practically automatic better teams than Nebraska in 2024.

Fred has to entice more four and five position players of quality to come here. Plus get a natural point guard of stature on the court. I think he stays for at least one more year and can’t say it is a strategic gamble or mistake. We have few bargaining chips because our complete history shows few NCAA tourney invites and NO wins. Enough said on reality.
Fred hasn’t even met the mediocre standards of the program. He is below that

Huggins only landed there because he was downright toxic after his messy divorce with the University of Cincinnati. But K-State did manage to keep him for a full 12 months - I'll give you that.

I'm guessing Tang lasts about twice that long.
Huggs returned to his alma mater after John Beilein left WVU for Michigan. No one begrudged Huggins for doing that. He was 23-12/10-6 in 2006 at K-State and left a terrific roster for Frank Martin.

I've stayed out of this until now, and I think you are probably an ok guy/girl, but two things....this is not a Kstate discussion and you immediately turn into something where you think your thoughts on this matter...Snyder was a great coach...if you think Pelini and Solich were, well.....there you go...and your banty rooster whiner you just just referenced was brutal....brutal coach as well...

Well, Weber won two titles here, something Altman never sniffed before running off to a lower-level program.

Huggs returned to his alma mater after John Beilein left WVU for Michigan. No one begrudged Huggins for doing that. He was 23-12/10-6 in 2006 at K-State and left a terrific roster for Frank Martin.
Frank Martin also bagged a conference COY award right before racing out of Manhattan for greener pastures.

Miami was his first choice, though. He had to settle for South Carolina.

very good.

Well, Weber won two titles here, something Altman never sniffed before running off to a lower-level program.
tied...didn't win....and didn't beat KU to tie them. Just more empty trophy case BS from Sheep U.

Unfortunately he will be back. Nebraska isn't paying an 11 million dollar buyout for a basketball coach. Nebraska also has been really patient with coaches that don't win. Collier, Sadler, miles all got plenty of time despite only one tournament appearance between them

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT