ADVERTISEMENT

Expectations

good question

with 4 mega conferences, I suppose you could award those conference winners each a bye while expanding the overall playoff field to 12 teams
Why should we shoot ourselves in the foot? Why should Nebraska & Minnesota fans want to give Alabama, Georgia, & Ohio State extra advantages? They've had enough. They cheat, buy players, and always make a 4-team playoffs. I'm sick of it. I want them to have to win 4 games. 16-team playoff, no byes.

Why should we shoot ourselves in the foot? Why should Nebraska & Minnesota fans want to give Alabama, Georgia, & Ohio State extra advantages? They've had enough. They cheat, buy players, and always make a 4-team playoffs. I'm sick of it. I want them to have to win 4 games. 16-team playoff, no byes.
I’d like a bye when the players we purchase lead us to a mega conference title

That’s why

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
I admire and respect your positive outlook. In my younger days, I got hammered all the time by people for bragging up the Huskers. A few years of maturity and many more around sports and coaches gets my feet a little more firmly planted on the ground, although some would say negative, I would say realistic. Huh, to imagine, I have come full circle in 50+ years!

All that said, and you alluded to a few changes but you are missing the key indicators. In four years, he has won 15 games and lost 29 - show me where the progress is besides not getting blown out by TT? Who did he beat? Let's hear it for Fordham and Buffalo! All this in his 4th year. Then consider - at least consider the following:
He waited until year five to do something substantive about special teams that have been among the worst nationally. Do you think Tom or ANY good coach would have done the same?
He witnessed inept OL play for 4 years and finally fired his OL coach - why did that take so long?
In fact, he fired nearly all of his offensive coaches but one and he is now on his 3rd O coordinator if I am not mistaken.
AD's don't lower contracts and change things if you are producing - they give you raises and extensions based on measurables. Where are Frosts?

I do want Frost and the team to succeed but by what measure after four years can anyone seriously point to that shows that he is getting this turned around? This is the year it needs to happen and I am all for him.

To say Tom coached in a different time is true but he coached in his ear like all the other coaches. Do we need to also compare 1900's football as well? Coaches don't deal with the NIL crap, they teach, coach and prepare young men to play football. I submit that Tom would have flourished in this setting because of his superior mind for the game ability to coach and outcoach others. I have said this before, but you can mirror every single thing Tom did but you can't clone his FB brain and demeanor - but some try. I do hope this is the year to get it done and turn this around.
I love TO and think he is one of the all time greatest coaches. That being said he was handed the keys to a program that just won back to back national championships.TO said he would have liked to see wat it was like to build a program from nothing. I’m sure he could have but he didn’t. Frost is trying to do that.mike Riley never left SF wat bob devany left TO. I THnk this is the year we see real progress. Can’t any of you feel that? Come on , we are the best fans in college football.SF is our man and let’s get behind him and his team. Everyone cheers when u win nine games every year the best fans in college football cheer for there team because they’re ur team they’re my team. Good or bad! SF pissed me off when he chose to go play for Bill Walsh instead of staying home but he is back and doing all he can to bring us back to where we all want to be. This is a make or break year for SF n I say he needs all the fan support he can get. GBR

I love TO and think he is one of the all time greatest coaches. That being said he was handed the keys to a program that just won back to back national championships.TO said he would have liked to see wat it was like to build a program from nothing. I’m sure he could have but he didn’t. Frost is trying to do that.mike Riley never left SF wat bob devany left TO. I THnk this is the year we see real progress. Can’t any of you feel that? Come on , we are the best fans in college football.SF is our man and let’s get behind him and his team. Everyone cheers when u win nine games every year the best fans in college football cheer for there team because they’re ur team they’re my team. Good or bad! SF pissed me off when he chose to go play for Bill Walsh instead of staying home but he is back and doing all he can to bring us back to where we all want to be. This is a make or break year for SF n I say he needs all the fan support he can get. GBR
thats why I'm pro frost, cause either way the decision will be made by the results on the felid.
so might as well be positive.
the villagers have the pitchfolks out and are half way up the path.

thats why I'm pro frost, cause either way the decision will be made by the results on the felid.
so might as well be positive.
the villagers have the pitchfolks out and are half way up the path.
In 2 of the 3 examples below, decisions were made by the results on the field - in the other, results on the field were ignored

can you correctly identify which decisions were made by results on the field and which was not?

Coach A:
5-6
8-4 - bowl game
9-5 - bowl game
5-7 - fired

Coach B:
6-7 - bowl game
9-4 - bowl game
4-8 - fired

Coach C:
4-8
5-7
3-5
3-9
year 5 results pending

Last edited:
Reactions: jkeb
In 2 of the 3 examples below, decisions were made by the results on the field - in the other, results on the field were ignored

can you correctly identify which decisions were made by results on the field and which was not?

Coach A:
5-6
8-4 - bowl game
9-5 - bowl game
5-7 - fired

Coach B:
6-7 - bowl game
9-4 - bowl game
4-8 - fired

Coach C:
4-8
5-7
3-5
3-9
year 5 results pending
well I meant this year...
but point taken......I guess we won 3 out of 4 nc's running the ball then ran away from the run...to losing alot passing....so it's a problem/mystery....

btw, you have 3-5 then 3-9...did we play 4 less games?

Has anyone given any thought to what mega conference football expectations should be? How are we going to evaluate coaches, and so forth? In the old days it was relatively easy, at least a bowl game or better, probably win your division more often than not, and semi regular consideration for national honors like the playoffs or natty's. For a school like Nebraska, for Indiana the sites would be a bit lower.

We probably won't have bowl games much longer. Not even sure we'll have divisions. With 20 or better teams in a conference, you probably aren't winning a conf championship with any regularity. If it's a 16/20/24 team playoff, basically the top half of your conference is going every year, no matter their record.

It'll be interesting to see how those coffee shop debates play out. I guess it could be a little more like March Madness in how we look at team's and tournament seedings or how deep their runs are. Since everything is market based now, its hard for me to view NU as the Yankees as our rightful spot, I think we'd be more of a smaller market team like the Cardinals or the Royals.

This isn't the FCS, I highly doubt a 16/20/24 team playoff will ever be needed, let alone make sense.

4 team playoff for now.

A 6/8/12 team is all I have really heard, as an alternative.

Keep in at-large.

This isn't the FCS, I highly doubt a 16/20/24 team playoff will ever be needed, let alone make sense.

4 team playoff for now.

A 6/8/12 team is all I have really heard, as an alternative.

Keep in at-large.

i think 8 is perfectly fine for competitive reasons. I think the draw of creating a football march madness is high though considering the dollars it would be and many of the smaller bowls are in trouble anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT