Votes: 39 18.8%
  • 8-9 wins, compete for the west, a decent bowl

Votes: 66 31.9%
  • 9+ wins, win the west

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • 10+ wins, BIG10 champions

Votes: 9 4.3%

• Total voters
Recruiting is going to be increasingly difficult if we don't start showing some significant upward trajectory in years 3-4. And then it is just a vicious spiral.
I agree, we are at the edge right now. It has taken 20 yrs to get to this point, but the edge it right there. We have about 2 maybe 3 years to show significant progress (at least 10 wins). IMO if we don't start gaining ground, the recruiting is going to fall off pretty quickly. Once the recruiting falls off, it is tough to get it back. If that happens we could be doomed to the bottom dweller of the BIG10 for a very long time.

Reactions: HominidHusker
If no bowl, he won’t be fired, but he’s definitely not the right guy.

They should get to 7 wins if he can coach a lick.
Agree a good coach should be able to get to at min 6 wins year 3. No matter the schedule. If no,then the question becomes what next? Does Moos let it play out until 2026 no matter what? Does he strongly suggest Frost makes changes first? If we have another 4 or 5 win season, not sure how we can "stay the course"

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
This is my question too about the 4-5 year rebuild. Rebuild to what? There are not many Power 5 programs, let alone one with our history and tradition, that is looking for a coach that can just get them to a bowl game in 4-5 years. That would be laughably low standards for us. I don't think when we hired Scott Frost, there were too many fans that thought "i just hope he can get us to a bowl game in 5 years". People were thinking playoff contender in 5 years, not eking out 6 wins so we can get to some low level bowl game that few people pay attention to. Now maybe expecting us to be a playoff contender in 5 years was unrealistic, but I think if we're really rebuilding, we ought to at least be getting back to the 9 win level in year 5. If not, then what is it we are rebuilding?

Yes, that is a good question sir.

However, for example, I'm sure you noticed how grossly inept our OLine was for the majority of both seasons so far. Ok, maybe that's only an excuse but it is true. I think that's probably the biggest and most difficult part of rebuilding NU. It's simply not a five minute project. Yeah, it's a rough business seeing our line play getting run over but hey, it's been that way for a long time. Wouldn't you agree?

HCSF, while of course not perfect, had a mountain of defects to deal with and still does (but very possibly almost everywhere the talent is getting better, maybe a lot better).

Hang in there partner. It just might start turning things around this year.....worst case year four almost for sure. Yes, it blows chunks having to wait for so long....I know. But we're in the right direction. One way or another we'll soon be slamming down 20 beers and just loving to watch the Big Red Machine back to where it rightly belongs. Nine wins is coming in the next year or two....then more after that.

With that schedule? 6 wins will be a fantastic year. Prepare to be disappointed. I think we will be better but we have a murderers row next year. 5-7 is my prediction.
2020 Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota teams are stocked with an arsenal of 7 - 4 star players and a whole lotta 3 star players, collectively. There is no way to we can compete with that. A few more years of 10+ 4 star classes for us should push us over the top, maybe.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
2020 Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota teams are stocked with an arsenal of 7 - 4 star players and a whole lotta 3 star players, collectively. There is no way to we can compete with that. A few more years of 10+ 4 star classes for us should push us over the top, maybe.
I am not sold on MN just yet, they looked horrible the beginning of the year. I think they took advantage of a easy schedule to gain momentum. I think that horrible team we saw the first 3 games could still be in there waiting to show its head. Iowa is Iowa and they are losing some key pieces. Wisconsin is always tough, but not world beaters by any means. Ohio St and Penn St are the only 2 I give us little chance to win.

Reactions: SkerInCo
I will admit, I am surprised at how far the standard of "reasonable expectations " has fallen in husker land. 32% think 6 wins is good enough year 3. Wow
Hopefully they get more than 6 wins, but that (6) very well could be the outcome, all phases of the team need marked improvement. More than likely, another season of close wins, close losses, and maybe a few beat downs, for and against.

Reactions: husker2612
Weve had one ten 4* class,this year, none obviously have played.
Last year we had seven? Only one started,the rest red shirted.
Next year, we have 16 four stars, plus 24 three stars, plus the walkons.
It starts next year, how good, who knows, but we will be improved.

How do we actually know it’s going in the right direction? There was a poster awhile back, during the MR days, that would rip everyone on the board who “couldn’t see” that MR had everything going in the right direction(Archie) after MR’s first season and until about game 3-4 of his 3rd season. There were others like him. Is it actually better now than then? All I see is a ton of losses, some due strictly to coaching, a ton of hype, and some pretty good recruiting...which is exactly where MR was after year 2 except he actually had a 9 win season.

Reactions: oldjar07
With that schedule? 6 wins will be a fantastic year. Prepare to be disappointed. I think we will be better but we have a murderers row next year. 5-7 is my prediction.

If we only end up with 5 wins next year I won't be just pissed, I'll be fking furious!! Frost would have to fire some assistants if we went 3 years in a row with a losing record.

Reactions: Bugeater
How do we actually know it’s going in the right direction? There was a poster awhile back, during the MR days, that would rip everyone on the board who “couldn’t see” that MR had everything going in the right direction(Archie) after MR’s first season and until about game 3-4 of his 3rd season. There were others like him. Is it actually better now than then? All I see is a ton of losses, some due strictly to coaching, a ton of hype, and some pretty good recruiting...which is exactly where MR was after year 2 except he actually had a 9 win season.
Beat downs by wiscy and iowa have stopped. Arguably, both wiscy and iowa are as good or better now.
The entire Big is better.
Name a class where we have 16 4* recruits coming in,with 6 being redshirted, or, the last time we redshirted six 4* guys, or, on top of that, another 24 high three star guys.
Name when we had this many walkons?
Theres a few reasons

Reactions: bshirt73
If we only end up with 5 wins next year I won't be just pissed, I'll be fking furious!! Frost would have to fire some assistants if we went 3 years in a row with a losing record.
I’ve been pissed that he’s had two loser seasons, but have learned to lower my expectations.

Reactions: Hoosker Du
Year 1 we were able to give Frost a pass, getting the mentality, S&C fixed, intalling his system and vision. Year 2, Trying to get in the right players to fit his system still doing final mop up from MR, building depth and experience.
So year 3 I assume the mentality and buying should be completely fixed or at worst we have enough depth to bench the guys who aren't. S&C will have had a full 3 off seasons to gain ground. Frost and coaches have now had 2 seasons to see what the BIG10 is all about and adjust their game plan/ style accordingly. They have had solid recruiting classes that should have hopefully filled many holes in depth. Players are now familiar with what Frost and coaches expect and they should be familiar with the system offensively and defensively.
So what is reasonable expectations for Frost and Co year 3? Should we expect MN and Fleck results? Should we be ok with a bowl game? 2nd part of the question, what should be done if expectations aren't met? Nothing? Staff changes? Changes made to schemes? Frost moving on?
7 wins and a winning record in the regular season is bare minimum expectations for me. Expectations in year 3 should at least be 8 or 9 wins. Just because this coaching staff failed to meet the bare minimum expectations of a bowl game last year doesn't mean they get a pass for next year.

Is it really that tough? They should start off 7-0? I think, right? The first 7 games they should be favored or toss up.
What was your prediction for this past year? I remember many thinking Nebraska would be undefeated going in to play an undefeated Ohio State at home with Game Day and winning.

What was your prediction for this past year? I remember many thinking Nebraska would be undefeated going in to play an undefeated Ohio State at home with Game Day and winning.
I can't remember when they played OSU but I figured they would be undefeated at that point.

But I don't think that is because other teams are good/great, I think it is because NU keeps finding ways to lose...They are really good at that!

Reactions: B1G RED RULES
Who the hell picked "8-9 wins and compete for the West"? You better lower your gotdarn expectations right now because I can tell you from history and clear cut evidence that this team under Frost only tends to improve by 1 damn win a year. So only by year 5 he'll get to 8 wins and by year 6 he'll get to 9. Now I don't know when in hell he'll win the West seeing as Minnesota just went 11-2 without winning the West so I don't know how many wins that'll take. But don't you guys for one second believe there's going to be that much more than 5 wins this year. You're going to be plenty disappointed if you expect that.

undefeated
pin250-beoptimistic-feature_1024x1024.jpg

Who the hell picked "8-9 wins and compete for the West"? You better lower your gotdarn expectations right now because I can tell you from history and clear cut evidence that this team under Frost only tends to improve by 1 damn win a year. So only by year 5 he'll get to 8 wins and by year 6 he'll get to 9. Now I don't know when in hell he'll win the West seeing as Minnesota just went 11-2 without winning the West so I don't know how many wins that'll take. But don't you guys for one second believe there's going to be that much more than 5 wins this year. You're going to be plenty disappointed if you expect that.
Go back to your own team's board.

I am going with 6 wins for year three. The good news is there will be 3 additional bowl games in 2020 creating 6 additional slots. Even with 5 wins Nebraska should be able to get one of them.

You forget the fact they all have established coaching staffs. Long time continuity and a culture of winning. We havent had any of that since 2014. The vast majority of our 4 stars are freshman and sophomores and AM who has very clear limitations will be back at QB, I would be shocked if Vegas has our O/U more than 5.5 wins

He only completed his second year. That alone isn’t enough to show anyone, anything. Let alone showing you evidence. Hell, Kirk Ferentz and Barry Alvarez both went 1-10 and then 3-8 their first 2 seasons and we all seen how that played out. So move along back to your Black and Yellow board.

Reactions: bshirt73
He only completed his second year. That alone isn’t enough to show anyone, anything. Let alone showing you evidence. Hell, Kirk Ferentz and Barry Alvarez both went 1-10 and then 3-8 their first 2 seasons and we all seen how that played out. So move along back to your Black and Yellow board.
Second guy to accuse me of being an Iowa fan in which I find that downright profounding really. How come it would only take a "hater" to point out such obvious facts that need to be stated. (I'm a Nebraska fan by the way).

Good god, our fans are so far gone and delusional that when you bring up actual real facts and evidence we just GOT to believe it's coming from a fan outside of our own fanbase. Just sad.

Not smart enough to figure it out I see...I see you smart guys are coming up with some brilliant names. .3. .1. What, getting banned wasn’t enough. Your obsession gets the best of you that bad that you have to create names like that? Sad...absolutely sad.
Just call em Bo 1 or Bo 2 or whatever, since they come from dr seuss land.

I am not sold on MN just yet, they looked horrible the beginning of the year. I think they took advantage of a easy schedule to gain momentum. I think that horrible team we saw the first 3 games could still be in there waiting to show its head. Iowa is Iowa and they are losing some key pieces. Wisconsin is always tough, but not world beaters by any means. Ohio St and Penn St are the only 2 I give us little chance to win.

Penn State? I'd say 50/50 there.

Second guy to accuse me of being an Iowa fan in which I find that downright profounding really. How come it would only take a "hater" to point out such obvious facts that need to be stated. (I'm a Nebraska fan by the way).

Good god, our fans are so far gone and delusional that when you bring up actual real facts and evidence we just GOT to believe it's coming from a fan outside of our own fanbase. Just sad.
That's the way some people are on here.

I've been accused of being a Colorado fan (because I stuck up for a friend of 25 years that is a CU fan instead of siding with a bunch of folks on a chat board that I don't know).

I'm an Iowa fan because I stated the fact that somehow Iowa won 11 games despite not having a Spring Game (which I didn't even know until it was pointed out to me on that thread).

I've also been accused of being fans of Minnesota and Wisconsin. I've been a accused of having earlier accounts, and of being anywhere from 2 to 5 other current posters on here.

Many are suspicious of new posters, even though 1) all of us were new at some point, and 2) only a small fraction of 1% of the Husker fan base posts on here.

There's some awesome people on here with which to converse. There's also some real nut jobs.

What Frost inherited was far better than what either Ferentz or Alvarez had when they started.

Plus, Frost was the boy wonder HC at UCF. Ferentz had been an unheralded HC at Maine for 3 seasons. Alvarez had not been a HC prior to Wisconsin.

If we were talking about Mike Riley then I'd agree. Expectations would be 5 wins.

But we're talking Scott Frost here so my expectations are higher for him so I went with "compete for the west - 8 wins".

This season to me comes down a relatively large number of players stepping up to ball out.

We have some “proven guys” but many “experienced” guys haven’t been that great- so they’re not synonymous.
So that boils down to quite a few “unproven” players (experienced or not) to show they can contribute to making this team better.

The good news is there are intriguing pieces to work with at every position group.
I expect there to be better competition for playing time at many positions. That is CRITICAL.

The bad news part was already mentioned where a lot of the talent is young/new/inexperienced.

So I guess we’ll wait and see what shakes out.
If the youth movement can get coached up (these guys get paid a lot to coach), then I’d say the ceiling is high.
Regardless, it’s a tall order ahead to make a real push for that ceiling.

I will admit, I am surprised at how far the standard of "reasonable expectations " has fallen in husker land. 32% think 6 wins is good enough year 3. Wow
reality has sunk in. Its a fairly tough schedule and we have a ways to go in developing Frost's recruits. We lost almost a whole recruiting class who should be next year's seniors. Normally I would expect a contender in the B1G who doesn't recruit like OSU to be fielding 10+ seniors as starters. We'll have a couple I think and probably be playing if not starting a quite a few sophomores and freshmen.

reality has sunk in. Its a fairly tough schedule and we have a ways to go in developing Frost's recruits. We lost almost a whole recruiting class who should be next year's seniors. Normally I would expect a contender in the B1G who doesn't recruit like OSU to be fielding 10+ seniors as starters. We'll have a couple I think and probably be playing if not starting a quite a few sophomores and freshmen.
I agree, taking into consideration everything, 6 wins is probably realistic. However other coaches have been able to to take much worse programs and flip them or at least show good progress by year 3. (Mac and NC this year comes to mind) Granted, Frost is still a young coach and learning the ropes, I do think that has a lot to do with the struggles to this point. Hopefully he is a quick learner. I know some will try to use Fleck and MN as an example of a coach having success year 3. I don't think that is a valid example. They were in a better place when Fleck took over.

This is one of the saddest threads I've read on this board in a few years. SMH

If we were talking about Mike Riley then I'd agree. Expectations would be 5 wins.

But we're talking Scott Frost here so my expectations are higher for him so I went with "compete for the west - 8 wins".
SF has a worse record than MR 2 years in. He has not proven to be a better coach the MR in his 2 years here. We have been outcoached in the majority of our B1G games and I see no reason to believe that trend will change simply because our coaches name is Scott Frost. Keep expectations low, reality is we aren't going to be there for another year or 2. Which to me is disappointing and very frustrating but the decision makers keep giving SF a longer leash so it is what it is

Reactions: HuskerO
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT