• 9+ wins, win the west

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • 10+ wins, BIG10 champions

Votes: 9 4.3%

• Total voters

husker2612

Recruiting Coordinator
Nov 29, 2010
Year 1 we were able to give Frost a pass, getting the mentality, S&C fixed, intalling his system and vision. Year 2, Trying to get in the right players to fit his system still doing final mop up from MR, building depth and experience.
So year 3 I assume the mentality and buying should be completely fixed or at worst we have enough depth to bench the guys who aren't. S&C will have had a full 3 off seasons to gain ground. Frost and coaches have now had 2 seasons to see what the BIG10 is all about and adjust their game plan/ style accordingly. They have had solid recruiting classes that should have hopefully filled many holes in depth. Players are now familiar with what Frost and coaches expect and they should be familiar with the system offensively and defensively.
So what is reasonable expectations for Frost and Co year 3? Should we expect MN and Fleck results? Should we be ok with a bowl game? 2nd part of the question, what should be done if expectations aren't met? Nothing? Staff changes? Changes made to schemes? Frost moving on?

I went seven wins.

I think you nailed most of it, familiarity is a good part of the payoff this year, but possibly even bigger is talent influx, familiarity is a given and known quality, like how we should expect our O line to be much better from day one, but, if a Benhart comes in and Farniok moves down and the O line gets an immediate boost, its both familiarity and talent coming in.
The depth should become a known quality as well, and though this schedule appears to be really tough, it doesn't always pan out that way, players leave,coaches leave, off field distractions end, like for us, or appear, like for psu.
Iowa loses ten starters including their qb and all american DE, so, you never know

Reactions: husker2612
year 3 doesn't matter, and for that matter, year 4 doesn't either. We've been told this is pretty much a 4 - 5 year rebuild, so I'll just wait for year 5 to start caring too much.
Yeah, but why is it a 5 year and who has specifically said that beside fans using it as a fail safe in case things still suck year 4? When looking at everything there is no reason what so ever for it to take 5 years. Lets say it does take the magical 5 years? What should be expected in that year 5 of a rebuild. Is year 5 just getting to 6 wins and bowl or is it NC. There should be zero expectations from year 1-4?

With that schedule? 6 wins will be a fantastic year. Prepare to be disappointed. I think we will be better but we have a murderers row next year. 5-7 is my prediction.

Reactions: Bugeater
I said 7 wins, but absolute minimum is get to a bowl game. Absolutely no excuses this time, even with a tough schedule, we need to get to get to a bowl game. I don't want to hear how tough it is for this coaching staff to turn things around from what they were left with-if you can't get to 6 wins any time in 3 seasons, when the vast majority of the team are your own players that you recruited, then you aren't worth what you are being paid-I don't care how bad things were when you got here. This is the no excuses year for me-I'm not saying they should be fired if they can't do that, because I think they deserve 4 years, but they darn well better have an incredible turnaround in store for year 4 if they can't get to a bowl game in year 3.

it's a power 5 schedule ...
no one is going to be taking away wins if and when the schedule is perceived as easier in the future

we had the 8th toughest schedule in the BIG last year .. not even top 1/2

I said 7 wins, but absolute minimum is get to a bowl game. Absolutely no excuses this time, even with a tough schedule, we need to get to get to a bowl game. I don't want to hear how tough it is for this coaching staff to turn things around from what they were left with-if you can't get to 6 wins any time in 3 seasons, when the vast majority of the team are your own players that you recruited, then you aren't worth what you are being paid-I don't care how bad things were when you got here. This is the no excuses year for me-I'm not saying they should be fired if they can't do that, because I think they deserve 4 years, but they darn well better have an incredible turnaround in store for year 4 if they can't get to a bowl game in year 3.
While I agree, we will be very young, or, the older guys still have the majority of the starts.
Can't be both. Depth will no doubt be better, but that depth will be young, but at least it will exist, sprinkled in with a few new guys that just earn starting positions the way I see it, young, deeper, and better.

Reactions: bshirt73
The expectation from me is 8-9 wins..... I don't think it will happen, and I will be disappointed. You asked for expectations, not the over/under on wins (if I had to place a bet). IF Vegas slots us at 7.5 wins, I am not comfortable losing my hard earned $$$.

And whoever said murder's row to end the season..... Just 5 teams that have proven to be better coached, more disciplined, better developed, and more fundamentally sound in all three phases of the game over the last decade. Hell, Cincy may be a better team than at least one of those 5 at the end of next year's schedule.

Yeah, but why is it a 5 year and who has specifically said that beside fans using it as a fail safe in case things still suck year 4? When looking at everything there is no reason what so ever for it to take 5 years. Lets say it does take the magical 5 years? What should be expected in that year 5 of a rebuild. Is year 5 just getting to 6 wins and bowl or is it NC. There should be zero expectations from year 1-4?
This is my question too about the 4-5 year rebuild. Rebuild to what? There are not many Power 5 programs, let alone one with our history and tradition, that is looking for a coach that can just get them to a bowl game in 4-5 years. That would be laughably low standards for us. I don't think when we hired Scott Frost, there were too many fans that thought "i just hope he can get us to a bowl game in 5 years". People were thinking playoff contender in 5 years, not eking out 6 wins so we can get to some low level bowl game that few people pay attention to. Now maybe expecting us to be a playoff contender in 5 years was unrealistic, but I think if we're really rebuilding, we ought to at least be getting back to the 9 win level in year 5. If not, then what is it we are rebuilding?

To be quite honest, I think we are going to have to be 5-2 or 6-1 after the first 7 games if we want to go bowling. We will not want to be sitting at 4-3 with the final 5-game-stretch-from-hell looming ahead.

This was really poor scheduling this season. Sean Eichorst is the gift that keeps on giving. 4 away games the last 6 games of the season. Three away games at Ohio State, at Iowa and at Wisconsin. Home for Penn State and Minnesota. I see us going 1-4 or maybe stealing a 2-3 record in those last 5 games.

This staff has a mountain of work to do offensively if they hope to touch 8 wins each of the next two seasons.

Reactions: husker2612
That makes no logical sense.

To my son, who was home for holiday break:

"I expect you to be home by midnight every night during your break from college...."

I was disappointed when he was late two nights out of the 17. Expectations don't have to equal what your prediction is.

Makes sense to me.....

year 3 doesn't matter, and for that matter, year 4 doesn't either. We've been told this is pretty much a 4 - 5 year rebuild, so I'll just wait for year 5 to start caring too much.

I thought we were told by Moos and Frost we would be battling for a conference title by year 2-3? I think improvements are being made but when HCSF was hired I dont recall anyone saying it was going to take 4-5 years. Seems the goalposts keep getting moved.

3rd year starting QB, 7 wins is my expectations regardless of schedule. Nebraska's been on the wrong side of close games a lot the last 5 years or so, hopefully this year starts to turn that around.

Regardless of actual win totals this upcoming season, continuing to recruit at a high level is still the most important thing I want taken care of. I'm hoping with Held in charge of recruiting, Nebraska can maybe sneak in a top 15 class.

To be quite honest, I think we are going to have to be 5-2 or 6-1 after the first 7 games if we want to go bowling. We will not want to be sitting at 4-3 with the final 5-game-stretch-from-hell looming ahead.

This was really poor scheduling this season. Sean Eichorst is the gift that keeps on giving. 4 away games the last 6 games of the season. Three away games at Ohio State, at Iowa and at Wisconsin. Home for Penn State and Minnesota. I see us going 1-4 or maybe stealing a 2-3 record in those last 5 games.

This staff has a mountain of work to do offensively if they hope to touch 8 wins each of the next two seasons.

Doesn't the Big10 set up the conference schedule?

Reactions: timnsun

Is it really that tough? They should start off 7-0? I think, right? The first 7 games they should be favored or toss up.

"I expect you to be home by midnight every night during your break from college...."

I was disappointed when he was late two nights out of the 17. Expectations don't have to equal what your prediction is.

Makes sense to me.....

An expectation is what you expect to happen. And when it doesn't it is UNACCEPTABLE!

Doesn't the Big10 set up the conference schedule?

Yes they do, but IIRC wasn't he also the one who had his hand in that Friday night game at Illinois in 2017? I thought he pushed for the switch of Black Friday game with Iowa to Minnesota for two years. Or, at least, the Big Ten offices walked all over him and decided to push their weight around and take some real estate by putting Iowa and Wisconsin in the prime time Black Friday slot. I'm curious then, just wonderin how Moos was able to relocate the 2021 Illinois game to Ireland? I could be wrong, as I have been before thousands of time, but just my two cents. Brutal stretch of 5 games.

Makes sense to me.....

College kid...home by midnight?

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
I haven't gone down the schedule by the eaches, so not picking a specific win total. That said, I do expect to see significant improvement in all phases. Fewer blowouts, playing our best each week and not down to the competition, minimal boneheaded coaching blunders, and a tight-knit unit with demonstrated leadership from the players and staff.

Most importantly, I need to see an IDENTITY forming. What distinguishes us from any other mid-level P5 school? And the answer cannot be that we are blue bloods, a proud program, storied history, etc. It needs to be an identity that is characterized by our current program and future. Not the past.

Reactions: HominidHusker
Not making a bowl game is unacceptable..... But I am still standing by 'expectations don't have to be equal to predictions'.

I don't normally set expectations on things out of my control or that I don't have to do something with after the fact.

It is just weird to me when people try to put expectations on the team. Or even stating it is unacceptable after they fail to meet your expectations. We have no control or say after the fact. That is the difference between expectations and reality.

Reactions: Cloud@Heart
Yes they do, but IIRC wasn't he also the one who had his hand in that Friday night game at Illinois in 2017? I thought he pushed for the switch of Black Friday game with Iowa to Minnesota for two years. Or, at least, the Big Ten offices walked all over him and decided to push their weight around and take some real estate by putting Iowa and Wisconsin in the prime time Black Friday slot. I'm curious then, just wonderin how Moos was able to relocate the 2021 Illinois game to Ireland? I could be wrong, as I have been before thousands of time, but just my two cents. Brutal stretch of 5 games.
I don't think he necessarily pushed for switching the Black Friday game from Iowa to Minnesota for a couple of years, but he didn't object either, just like he didn't have anything to do necessarily with us playing at Illinois on Friday in 2017, but he didn't object either, and he also was OK with it when the conference brought up the possibility of us playing home games on Friday(other than Black Friday) in the future. Basically, he was OK with whatever the conference wanted to do with us, But as far as setting up the specific schedule for any season, I don't think he or any AD has much, if any input into that. Moving the Illinois game to Ireland in 2021 was done by mutual consent between the two schools, probably with the conference's blessing too.

Last edited:
Reactions: maplesyrup95
I went with 7 wins. If we hit that, we most likely go bowling with our hungry fan base. Butts in the seats.

If not, & we see an undisciplined, sloppy ass play, poor coaching, it’s time to start anew.

Being generous, I’d give the coaches 4 full years, 4 full years to live up to the hype & produce.
GBR!
U.S.A. #1!

Reactions: TheNewNU
I went with 7 wins. If we hit that, we most likely go bowling with our hungry fan base. Butts in the seats.

If not, & we see an undisciplined, sloppy ass play, poor coaching, it’s time to start anew.

Being generous, I’d give the coaches 4 full years, 4 full years to live up to the hype & produce.
GBR!
U.S.A. #1!
I think with another disappointing year looming over us Frost's fate will largely rest in the new NU Presidents hands. I could see Moos retiring relatively soon too. I think he needs to compete for the West in year 4 to see the end of his original contract.

Reactions: tarheelhusker
That is just wrong if they don’t start improving years 5 and 6 won’t matter either. I’m tired of people saying years don’t matter, every year matters period!

Bowl game or he needs to be told his job is on the line the following year.

Dont start with that build the right way stuff neither. ..lol

Last edited:

GBR!
U.S.A. #1!

You only need 6 wins to go bowling. Just saying.

And the way the heels are playing im not going to enjoy post season play by none of my teams, Cowboys and Spurs included.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT