ADVERTISEMENT

Ex-Huskers in the NFL all-time 2-deep

ReuniteGondwanaland

Blackshirt
Sep 8, 2010
Just a fairly quick look-- looking at ex-Nebraska players at picking an all-time 2-deep based ENTIRELY on their success in the NFL, who do you have and who did I miss?

OT Bob Brown, Carl Nicks
OG Will Shields, Brendan Stai
C Mick Tingelhoff, Dominic Raiola
OG Bob Newton, Keith Bishop
OT Zach Wiegert, Link Lyman
WR Irving Fryar, Tim Smith
WR Verne Lewellen, Johnny Rodgers
TE Junior Miller, Jamie Williams
RB Roger Craig, Ahman Green
FB Charley Brock, Tom Rathman
QB Vince Ferragamo, Bernie Masterson

DE Neil Smith, Ed Husmann
DT Ndamukong Suh, Ron McDole
DT John Dutton, Lloyd Voss
DE Kyle Vandenbosch, Grant Wistrom
LB Jimmy Williams, Mike Croel
LB Willie Harper, Scott Shanle
LB Broderick Thomas, Lavonte David
CB Pat Fischer, Tyrone Williams
S Kent McCloughan, Mike Minter
S Mike Brown, Russell Gary
CB Brian Washington, Eric Warfield

K Josh Brown, Kris Brown
P Sam Koch, Kyle Larson

Some positions like WR were very hard to fill. Johnny Rodgers had almost no NFL career but there's not much to pick from. Some players from well before my time who had good NFL careers were probably not all put in the right position.

Reactions: Link-
We've had surprisingly few linebackers excel in the NFL. Ruud was on my list and almost made it but his career as a starter was just a little bit short. Not much separates Barrett Ruud from any of the 6 on my list, though.

A few omissions:
1.) CB-Ralph Brown
2.) LB-Stew Bradley
3.) FB-Cory Schlesinger
4.) QB-David Humm

I put in Charley Brock at fullback but that might be cheating a little bit. Brock was a 3-time all-pro and part-time FB but primarily a center. He probably belongs on the list somewhere. Franklin was very good (one Pro Bowl) but had a short career, only 42 total games. Schlesinger was basically only a blocker, but one of the best and had a 12-year career. If you take out Brock I'd probably put in Schlesinger myself.

Ralph Brown was only a primary starter for one season of his career (6 career picks to Warfield's 20, for example). Stewart Bradley was on track for the list before injuries, his career wasn't long enough (2 seasons as a starter). Humm had a long career, but almost exclusively as a backup. It looks like he started one game in his career--Masterson was a 4-year starter who made a Pro Bowl.

Monte Johnson had a nice career as a linebacker with the Raiders - I believe he got a Super Bowl ring with them. Not saying he should be ahead of the LBs you listed, but he had a productive NFL career.

Last edited:
Looks like Ron McDole was primarily a DE, so if he's at DE ahead of Husmann, Parrella's next in line. Case to be made for MIke Rucker over Grant Wistrom, too.

Monte Johnson had a better career than I realized. Not sure who he replaces, though.

Puzzled by the Wonder Monds nod--looks like he spent one year in the NFL as a backup.

"ENTIRELY on their success in the NFL"
'How about Guy Chamberlain
Profootball Hall of Fame Player
Profootball Hall of Fame Coach
Not too mention Blue Springs High School Hall of Fame
NU Hall of Fame
College Football Hall of Fame
On a relative basis he cannot be left off
but like most of these lists it's not clear what the criteria is.
Realize is hard to define, relative or if on the squad next year would be 2 deep?

Last edited:
Reactions: Link-
"ENTIRELY on their success in the NFL"
'How about Guy Chamberlain

That was a bad one to leave off, you're absolutely right. It also fixes the problem of not having enough receivers who had a solid NFL career, Chamberlain belongs on the first team and Rodgers drops off.

That was a bad one to leave off, you're absolutely right. It also fixes the problem of not having enough receivers who had a solid NFL career, Chamberlain belongs on the first team and Rodgers drops off.
I knew Guy, was a farm neighbor of ours and gave me rides to and from town. He would be humbled and astounded to think he was replacing the Rocket

I would put Wistrom over Vandenbosch... I think Vandenbosch had a longer career but Wistrom played at a higher level for several years and won a super bowl ring. Mike Rucker might have had a better career than both of them though...

ADVERTISEMENT