Evidence shows masks don't work

Lonny Boysen

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 2, 2015
4,577
10,983
113
You were the one that brought up cancer, so YOU don't change the subject.
Haha wow. What a gotcha moment for you there RollingLaugh

You don’t want to talk about it because you know if cancer was contagious through the air, you’d wear a mask no questions asked because logic dictates that it would greatly reduce the spread.

You being unconcerned with the consequences of catching covid has nothing to do with this conversation.
 

zar45

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 13, 2016
4,709
11,790
113
And why not?

We know pedestrian masks aren't 100% effective. And we suspect that initial viral load matters in patient outcomes. We're also aware of the theory of moral hazard, being that mask wearers may be more likely to behave in a risky manner under the assumption that they are more protected. This combination could result in increased infections with decreased deaths per infection.
 

Oldschool1964

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jun 27, 2009
8,415
7,341
113
116
Your mom's house
I find it not surprising that the people dumb enough to think that Trump won the election are the same that are arguing that masks don’t work.
I find it not surprising that the people dumb enough to ignore the widespread fraud during the election are the same that are arguing that masks are effective and ignoring the data that shows otherwise.
 
  • Haha
Reactions: nelsonj22

damcde

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2007
4,550
8,629
113
So, let's just say that you're right. Let's say it's the minority of people who don't wear their masks that is causing this spread. That would show a small increase in the numbers of infected and dead, but wouldn't contribute to a massive increase in the numbers like we're seeing now. So, with the numbers we're seeing now, it can't be a small minority of people ruining it for the majority if masks are effective.

Actually not at all. Most evidence suggests that the virus spreads during superspreading events. So one person at a restaurant who hasn’t been wearing a mask then spreads it to the majority of the people in that restaurant. Then those people take it home and spread it to their families.
 

Lonny Boysen

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 2, 2015
4,577
10,983
113
Actually not at all. Most evidence suggests that the virus spreads during superspreading events. So one person at a restaurant who hasn’t been wearing a mask then spreads it to the majority of the people in that restaurant. Then those people take it home and spread it to their families.
Yes. Old is very binary in his logic and it’s tough to read.

He’s taking the leap of mask mandate = not only everyone wearing one when they are required to, but then they also immediately and completely stop engaging in all situations and choices that put them at a high risk of catching the 19.

Furthermore, the guidelines about masks are bulletproof and ZERO concessions were made to keep restaurants/bars in business.....

He’s also ignoring that the reason mandates are put into place is typically because the virus is already spreading unchecked. Getting everyone to wear a mask in public spaces can’t just put that genie right back in the bottle.

I bet he gets really pissed when using anything with a catalyst/more than a single step. Drinks fountain soda syrup straight and complains that it’s too sweet and not fizzy. His toilet is worthless because he didn’t connect it to the water line. Thinks the running back sucks even though he’s behind the worst o-line in the league, etc, etc.

Still not quite sure if he’s just a very bored troll, orrrr if school, in the olden days, simply failed him miserably? Either way it’s entertaining to watch the disaster.
 
Last edited:

Oldschool1964

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jun 27, 2009
8,415
7,341
113
116
Your mom's house
Actually not at all. Most evidence suggests that the virus spreads during superspreading events. So one person at a restaurant who hasn’t been wearing a mask then spreads it to the majority of the people in that restaurant. Then those people take it home and spread it to their families.
So one person without a mask then spreads the virus to whom? To those with masks? If we are under the assumption that most people wear masks and they are effective, then those with masks have a what, 99% chance of NOT contracting the virus because the mask works. Therefore, 1% of the patrons with a mask on would contract the virus and go home and spread it to their family. Seems to me this flies in the face of a defined superspreader event. Furthermore, the Democrat riots in the large cities in the US were deemed NOT superspreader events because everyone there wore masks, right?

So you would have to have a situation where many people were at an event and didn't wear masks. Maybe early in this pandemic you might find it, but the events without masks are few and far between (even though @sklarbodds admitted he contributed to this debauchery).
 
  • Haha
Reactions: Lonny Boysen

Ruiner1

Senior
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2016
2,099
4,020
113
So one person without a mask then spreads the virus to whom? To those with masks? If we are under the assumption that most people wear masks and they are effective, then those with masks have a what, 99% chance of NOT contracting the virus because the mask works. Therefore, 1% of the patrons with a mask on would contract the virus and go home and spread it to their family. Seems to me this flies in the face of a defined superspreader event. Furthermore, the Democrat riots in the large cities in the US were deemed NOT superspreader events because everyone there wore masks, right?

So you would have to have a situation where many people were at an event and didn't wear masks. Maybe early in this pandemic you might find it, but the events without masks are few and far between (even though @sklarbodds admitted he contributed to this debauchery).
Your spit is kept from flying around the room by YORE mask. My mask keeps my spit from flying around the room. That is why both people need masks.
 

lolwat

Senior
Gold Member
Sep 8, 2016
2,656
4,727
113
I would also submit that, while it keeps it from flying around the room it can settle in your immediate area on the the surfaces. Which is why step 2 is washing hands/hand sanitizer more often than usual.
 

Lonny Boysen

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 2, 2015
4,577
10,983
113
Your spit is kept from flying around the room by YORE mask. My mask keeps my spit from flying around the room. That is why both people need masks.
It’s absolutely incredible that we still have to go over this after almost a year of this shit.

However, all of these conversations are circular and Old will just keep changing his angle the moment his previous talking point gets shot down by an intelligent person.

This thread is petering out because he’s out of material....but just wait a few days until a different BS source posts something similar, and then we can go through every asinine theory of his again.
 

damcde

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2007
4,550
8,629
113
So one person without a mask then spreads the virus to whom? To those with masks? If we are under the assumption that most people wear masks and they are effective, then those with masks have a what, 99% chance of NOT contracting the virus because the mask works. Therefore, 1% of the patrons with a mask on would contract the virus and go home and spread it to their family. Seems to me this flies in the face of a defined superspreader event. Furthermore, the Democrat riots in the large cities in the US were deemed NOT superspreader events because everyone there wore masks, right?

So you would have to have a situation where many people were at an event and didn't wear masks. Maybe early in this pandemic you might find it, but the events without masks are few and far between (even though @sklarbodds admitted he contributed to this debauchery).

Except that in most restaurants, bars, coffee shops and gyms, which is where 80 percent of the spread happens along with churches, you do not have to wear your mask the whole time. In my experience most people go to their tables and take their masks off immediately to talk. So even if you are an avid mask wearer, but you go to the gym, restaurant, etc, and someone there has not been careful and has the virus, they are gonna spread it to you.

This is why 80 percent of the spread happens in these locations.
 

dragonraider1

Senior
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
2,834
1,609
113
If cancer was spread in the same manner as covid, no one would be making these idiotic posts and everyone would be wearing a mask.
But it isn't. Our public officials from Main Street to Washington should never ever create restrictions on Americans because of something that "might or could if it is like" occur whether it is a virus or global weather.
 

Ruiner1

Senior
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2016
2,099
4,020
113
But it isn't. Our public officials from Main Street to Washington should never ever create restrictions on Americans because of something that "might or could if it is like" occur whether it is a virus or global weather.
You mean like wearing a seatbelt?
 
  • Like
Reactions: nelsonj22

dragonraider1

Senior
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
2,834
1,609
113
You mean like wearing a seatbelt?
I am not aware that America has a national mandate to wear seat belts or of any business denying access without evidence that you wore a seatbelt to get there. I have read estimates that mask compliance is close to 80% in America yet after the election "cases" are exceeding 200,00 a day and rising. If you have absolute faith that a $0.001 piece of Chinese cloth you paid $3.00 American for 5 and communism is your protection then you are a gone goose IMO. I choose to say no, I will not. I am more happy with my faith in God and America's liberties.
 

Lonny Boysen

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 2, 2015
4,577
10,983
113
But it isn't. Our public officials from Main Street to Washington should never ever create restrictions on Americans because of something that "might or could if it is like" occur whether it is a virus or global weather.
This thread is about whether or not masks work.

The point is, it’s not that you guys truly believe masks don’t work to stop the spread; it’s that you aren’t personally concerned about the consequences of getting covid and you resent being told what to do.

Thank you for illustrating my point perfectly.
 
  • Like
Reactions: nelsonj22

tman_87

Head Coach
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2010
11,859
14,632
113
Another thing being overlooked in this, is the Thanksgiving surge. 2 to 3 weeks after thanksgiving..... where thousands of people got together for gatherings, our deaths and positive numbers surge. Huh, wonder why? Has to be that masks don't work. Or, maybe hundreds of thousands of people got together in close quarters with no masks for thanksgiving? Wonder which choice makes more sense.....

This is asinine argumentation and spin by Magadiots, that maks don't work, or at least help some. You can't even have an honest convo with them on any subject, because everything is either a troll or spun away from when their point is shot down completely. Then spin away to some other schism of Gump Think. Waste of time to even bother with people like this, who think that having a barrier between where you exhale/inhale won't at least somewhat prevent the spread of an airborne virus.... enough said. No use entering convos with honest intent with intellectually dishonest people. At least if they are unintentionally wrong, you can see a reason to have honest, reasonable convos with them. But that is never the intent of threads like this.
 
  • Like
Reactions: nelsonj22

jw.3

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2013
17,713
69,328
113
I am not aware that America has a national mandate to wear seat belts or of any business denying access without evidence that you wore a seatbelt to get there. I have read estimates that mask compliance is close to 80% in America yet after the election "cases" are exceeding 200,00 a day and rising. If you have absolute faith that a $0.001 piece of Chinese cloth you paid $3.00 American for 5 and communism is your protection then you are a gone goose IMO. I choose to say no, I will not. I am more happy with my faith in God and America's liberties.
GUNS. GOD. TRUCKS. TRUMP.
 

nelsonj22

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2014
19,286
20,276
113
So, let's just say that you're right. Let's say it's the minority of people who don't wear their masks that is causing this spread. That would show a small increase in the numbers of infected and dead, but wouldn't contribute to a massive increase in the numbers like we're seeing now. So, with the numbers we're seeing now, it can't be a small minority of people ruining it for the majority if masks are effective.
The mask on the infected stops droplets before they get to the air stream. Once in the air stream dropplets with a size (iirc) of 4-10nm are light enough to stay afloat long enough to dehydrate.

So yes 1 dumb fvck not wearing one can fvck up a large number of people. Once those particles are dehydrated in the air stream very few masks will prevent them from entering.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: TrueRED777

nelsonj22

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2014
19,286
20,276
113
But it isn't. Our public officials from Main Street to Washington should never ever create restrictions on Americans because of something that "might or could if it is like" occur whether it is a virus or global weather.
3.2 million dead in 2020, 400k probably from covid. But yep its not effecting anyone.
 

nelsonj22

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2014
19,286
20,276
113
This thread is about whether or not masks work.

The point is, it’s not that you guys truly believe masks don’t work to stop the spread; it’s that you aren’t personally concerned about the consequences of getting covid and you resent being told what to do.

Thank you for illustrating my point perfectly.
For anyone thats spent time in any drug/alcohol rehab, its the epitome of "King Baby" syndrome.
 

Lonny Boysen

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 2, 2015
4,577
10,983
113
and no one would smoke or eat sugar.
If they just had to put a tiny mask on their cig while having a smoke, they’d do it to stay cancer free.

Don’t know why I’m bothering, but obviously there is enjoyment and physiological rewards derived from activities you described, thus making them irrelevant to this conversation.
 
  • Like
Reactions: nelsonj22

lipem

Junior
Gold Member
Dec 13, 2009
1,519
958
113
Studies directly measuring mask efficacy

Hope you have a N95 because all these other masks do nothing. Haven’t seen a N95 on anyone walking around. Do you wear a N95? If not yore part of the problem.:rolleyes:
 

zar45

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 13, 2016
4,709
11,790
113
Hope you have a N95 because all these other masks do nothing. Haven’t seen a N95 on anyone walking around. Do you wear a N95? If not yore part of the problem.:rolleyes:
cHHhN2z.gif
 

Frostradamus

Sophomore
Gold Member
Dec 2, 2014
1,191
1,879
113
Hope you have a N95 because all these other masks do nothing. Haven’t seen a N95 on anyone walking around. Do you wear a N95? If not yore part of the problem.:rolleyes:
I have N95s a bunch of them. I am not part of the problem. I do smile behind my mask at the brainlets who wear their silly home made or store-bought masks they got for $3.99 and think they are doing their part as directed by the oligarchs.
 

damcde

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2007
4,550
8,629
113
I have N95s a bunch of them. I am not part of the problem. I do smile behind my mask at the brainlets who wear their silly home made or store-bought masks they got for $3.99 and think they are doing their part as directed by the oligarchs.

Although nothing is as good as N95 masks, there have been about a dozen papers that have come out the last 6 months showing that many of the cloth masks work just as well as surgical masks, with filtration efficiencies well over 50 percent for many of them. The masks are not meant to completely stop the virus, but to slow it down while reserving N95’s for those who work in clinical settings where they are in contact with people who are shedding a lot of virus.

But I love your smugness while being so ignorant.
 

daddy mack

Junior
Gold Member
Jan 19, 2002
1,922
1,127
113
58
Omaha, NE
So show me the evidence that contradicts their findings. I'm interested in specifically the correlation between number of infected & number dead from Covid as it relates to mask mandates.
Always has what else is new. SU and where you’re mouth gago_O you peasant.On a lighter note Heart disease or flu longer kills
 

Frostradamus

Sophomore
Gold Member
Dec 2, 2014
1,191
1,879
113
Although nothing is as good as N95 masks, there have been about a dozen papers that have come out the last 6 months showing that many of the cloth masks work just as well as surgical masks, with filtration efficiencies well over 50 percent for many of them. The masks are not meant to completely stop the virus, but to slow it down while reserving N95’s for those who work in clinical settings where they are in contact with people who are shedding a lot of virus.

But I love your smugness while being so ignorant.
And there are other studies that contradict the dozen papers you reference. Alas here we are with mask compliance in the 90 percentiles with cases spiking despite Fauci's guidance. It's almost as if he and the "experts" don't know what tf they're talking about. But I love your smugness while being so ignorant.
 

damcde

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2007
4,550
8,629
113
And there are other studies that contradict the dozen papers you reference. Alas here we are with mask compliance in the 90 percentiles with cases spiking despite Fauci's guidance. It's almost as if he and the "experts" don't know what tf they're talking about. But I love your smugness while being so ignorant.

What studies? I know that that different types of fabric mask have different filtration efficiencies, which varies from study to study based on their set up. But I am unaware of any of them showing that most masks are relatively efficient. Unless you are trying to refer to the handful of RCT studies out there that have huge compliance/control issues, including the one that just came out.

As for the spike, it is has already been addressed but there have been a couple of papers showing that up to 80 percent of the spread occurs in places were masks are not required. Places like restaurants, bars, coffee shops, etc.
 
  • Like
Reactions: TrueRED777

Frostradamus

Sophomore
Gold Member
Dec 2, 2014
1,191
1,879
113
What studies? I know that that different types of fabric mask have different filtration efficiencies, which varies from study to study based on their set up. But I am unaware of any of them showing that most masks are relatively efficient. Unless you are trying to refer to the handful of RCT studies out there that have huge compliance/control issues, including the one that just came out.

As for the spike, it is has already been addressed but there have been a couple of papers showing that up to 80 percent of the spread occurs in places were masks are not required. Places like restaurants, bars, coffee shops, etc.
When I have more time I'll share the studies I'm referring to. Actually need to get some work done before I can hang it up for the year. Going by memory, I think one showed a .03% improvement for masks versus the control group who didn't wear masks. Not sure if that has been deemed to have had control issues due to the findings. If 80% of spread occurs in restaurants and bars, how does that explain CA where there is no dine-in, masks are required indoors and outdoors and mask compliance is and has been well above where Fauci said it needed to be? Are there large amounts of rogue underground restaurants and speakeasies defying Chairman Newsome's orders? I hope there are but I haven't seen or heard of it.
 

sklarbodds

Administrator
Moderator
Nov 30, 2006
32,583
38,178
113
When I have more time I'll share the studies I'm referring to. Actually need to get some work done before I can hang it up for the year. Going by memory, I think one showed a .03% improvement for masks versus the control group who didn't wear masks. Not sure if that has been deemed to have had control issues due to the findings. If 80% of spread occurs in restaurants and bars, how does that explain CA where there is no dine-in, masks are required indoors and outdoors and mask compliance is and has been well above where Fauci said it needed to be? Are there large amounts of rogue underground restaurants and speakeasies defying Chairman Newsome's orders? I hope there are but I haven't seen or heard of it.
Why do you keep using California as an example? In terms of deaths per 1M people they're in the top 10 in the country. It appears what they're doing is working. Every other state in the top 10 is in the bottom half of population density.

California is actually doing better than almost anyone.
 
  • Like
Reactions: damcde

Frostradamus

Sophomore
Gold Member
Dec 2, 2014
1,191
1,879
113
Why do you keep using California as an example? In terms of deaths per 1M people they're in the top 10 in the country. It appears what they're doing is working. Every other state in the top 10 is in the bottom half of population density.

California is actually doing better than almost anyone.
Because CA leads the country in new cases. They're also one of the younger states when it comes to median age so less people die. I'll leave you with one of my favorite alarmist sayings: "wait two weeks". And then, if the results still don't align with my talking points, "wait two more weeks".

 

sklarbodds

Administrator
Moderator
Nov 30, 2006
32,583
38,178
113
Because CA leads the country in new cases. They're also one of the younger states when it comes to median age so less people die. I'll leave you with one of my favorite alarmist sayings: "wait two weeks". And then, if the results still don't align with my talking points, "wait two more weeks".

Again per M people their not tho