ADVERTISEMENT

Everything I hear from pundits is

So if you take the most pessimistic view possible he might only be right by a little? The TE and WR are light years better than last year. It doesn’t change who AM is, but it will help.
Well last year the coaches didn’t feel like he was better at all...so we will see. I’m not going to hold my breath and assume some kid who barely made an impact last year will be a star in 2021.
What are you talking about? The kid wasn’t even a freshman and would have started, if healthy. Hell just standing on the sideline is better than Warner gave us. But sure, carry on in fantasy land, maybe you will be right and everyone will suck just because, Warner and co will be just as good as Manning and Toure so you can bitch 24/7 and be proven “right”, won’t that be great 🙁
Right. He was a sophomore. And there was no reason for him not to make an impact with the complete lack of production we had from our WRs...oh and rumors of his unhappiness circulated basically all year. The guy has measurables for sure, but anyone sold on him being a difference maker is jumping the gun.

Last edited:
Well last year the coaches didn’t feel like he was better at all...so we will see. I’m not going to hold my breath and assume some kid who barely made an impact last year will be a star in 2021.

Again what ware you taking about? They thought he was a stud and said as much every time the were asked. And even without him we are still much, much better at WR than last year. But don’t let that stop your bitch fest, seems fun.

Reactions: bshirt73
What are you talking about? The kid wasn’t even a freshman and would have started, if healthy. Hell just standing on the sideline is better than Warner gave us. But sure, carry on in fantasy land, maybe you will be right and everyone will suck just because, Warner and co will be just as good as Manning and Toure so you can bitch 24/7 and be proven “right”, won’t that be great 🙁
it's 'fantasy land' to say we should wait and see on Manning, who no-showed all of last year and just biffed the only deep ball we've seen him have a shot at in semi-live action not two days ago just before doing his best Warner impression in the endzone?

alright

Again what ware you taking about? They thought he was a stud and said as much every time the were asked. And even without him we are still much, much better at WR than last year. But don’t let that stop your bitch fest, seems fun.
What are they supposed to say??? The guy couldn’t get on the field...that is what they truly thought about his ability to help the team over Warner last season. The coaches said LM was a great QB as well.

And who else makes us much much better????

it's 'fantasy land' to say we should wait and see on Manning, who no-showed all of last year and just biffed the only deep ball we've seen him have a shot at in semi-live action not two days ago just before doing his best Warner impression in the endzone?

alright

Wait and see is fine, but the guy is making up quotes from the coaches and claiming guys like Warner are more talented just to piss and moan, it’s pathetic.

You heard it here, The starting WR's are gonna be Toure, Manning and Martin with Betts, Falck, Nixon, Brown and Liewer coming off the bench.

Last edited:
Wait and see is fine, but the guy is making up quotes from the coaches and claiming guys like Warner are more talented just to piss and moan, it’s pathetic.
I didn’t say Warner was talented at all. What I said was Warner saw the field over Manning. Generally coaches put the players on the field they give them the best chance to win. For whatever reason, last year the coaches thought that was not Manning. What is pathetic is husker fans who think that just because a guy was successful at a lower level and has some measurables, that he is going to be a star player.

Starting WRs against rOSU were Falck (D 1AA transfer), Warner and Wandale. As a 1AA All American, Toure is at least an even swap for Wandale. The coaches have been cagey about Omar’s 2020 season. I figure injuries plus playbook. But he is on another level compared to Warner. Falck this year will be better than last year, but his starting spot will be occupied by Martin who is a better receiver. Betts will be better, as will Nixon and Brown. Shit, Liewer can play.

Toure is better than any WR we had Martin and Betts are better. Allen is better. We are better literally everywhere. How good, we will see, but it takes quite the spin to say this group isn’t much more talented.
considering the level of development we're used to, I also don't think it's crazy to assume any of these guys, most of which have been playing college football for multiple years, don't all of a sudden become much better in 2021 than they've ever been.

considering the level of development we're used to, I also don't think it's crazy to assume any of these guys, most of which have been playing college football for multiple years, don't all of a sudden become much better in 2021 than they've ever been.

LOL, you do you. Seems fun.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Toure automatically is better than Wan'Dale? we'll see. Wan'Dale is small and we forced him the ball, sure, but at least he showed up when the lights were on, unlike the lion's share of the team.

Manning will be better than Warner if he actually plays. who knows if that will happen.

Betts should be better than last year. TBD if we throw him the ball.

Nixon, who knows

Miles, Jr., who knows

all of the RBs, who knows. I certainly am not in any state of mind to call who we have there currently an upgrade over Mills.

the only thing I'm positive about is Haarberg > Luke

Man your just as bad as jlb, only difference is you hate 2AM to the core..

Reactions: headcard
I didn’t say Warner was talented at all. What I said was Warner saw the field over Manning. Generally coaches put the players on the field they give them the best chance to win. For whatever reason, last year the coaches thought that was not Manning. What is pathetic is husker fans who think that just because a guy was successful at a lower level and has some measurables, that he is going to be a star player.
Hell Warner was better as a freshman, he at least had some receptions in 2018.. Last year it was more important to grow a mustache...

LOL, you do you. Seems fun.
I've been burned one too many times.

I just don't see it. but, I will allow for the fact that my glasses are covered in poo residue from the last 3 seasons.

had more fun watching the spring game than most of the last 30+ regular season games, that's for sure.

I've been burned one too many times.

I just don't see it. but, I will allow for the fact that my glasses are covered in poo residue from the last 3 seasons.

had more fun watching the spring game than most of the last 30+ regular season games, that's for sure.
And I haven’t been burned. Seen the same you have..You have no choice in supporting him because no freshman is going to beat him out and there isn’t Tommie F on the depth chart..

Whoa whoa whoa. There is a HUGE difference between jlb and rambo. Rambo has his issues with our QB and questions things that at times might be reasonable to question but he in no way shape or form is comparable to the troll also know as jlb. I think it is reasonable to express concern about our WR production next year.

That said I too believe as a group we'll be better there. Martin came on at the end of the year last year. Toure is a stud. Nixon has shown some hands and quickness that IMO easily put him in Wandale's class with more size and straight line speed. I can't wait to see him play. We will have MORE weapons and bigger targets in some of those weapons at WR. The question is whether or not it will show up in games and whether or not our QB can deliver the ball on time to put points on the board.

And I haven’t been burned. Seen the same you have..You have no choice in supporting him because no freshman is going to beat him out and there isn’t Tommie F on the depth chart..
well for all we know Haarberg may come in late in the game against OU and lead us to a couple of TDs, take over the starting job, and end up a Heisman finalist after starting for 3-1/2 years......

• Love
Reactions: John_J_Rambo
And who else makes us much much better????
I'm expecting a lot of improvement with this year's roster. I left my take below on each position. I'm curious as to which positions or players you actually feel won't improve OR will be worse than last season.

My preseason thoughts on each unit:
DL:
Should improve
The DLine as a unit was solid last year. We bring back the entire group and add a lot of talent. Robinson, Stille, Deontre, Damion, Rogers. Add in the next wave with Riley, Feist, Mosai, and Nash. Thats a lot of good depth for a unit that only fields 2 to 3 players at a time.

OLB: Unknown
Payne came out of nowhere without spring ball, little knowledge of the system, and injuries yet still showed an ability to rush the passer in our Nickel package. We should expect some improvement from him. Nelson was solid but we need more from him, Tannor, and Jackson. Blaise and Jimari will have a yr in the program.

ILB: Likely just as good
We lose Miller and possibly Honas but Reimer and Heinrich played a lot and played well. We add Kolarevic and Honas may also play.

Corner: Should improve
Bootle was fast but couldn't play the ball and was often picked on. CTB is All-Conference caliber. Now we have good, healthy depth with Newsome, Clark, and Joseph who can all contribute. Hard to not see this as an improvement.

Safety: Should improve
Depth is the main reason. Going in to last season we had no depth. We bring back everyone and it sounds like Fisher is confident in both Farmer and Gates whenever they are needed.

Receiver: Should improve
Our starters last year were often Falck, Liewer, Warner, Brown, and Martin. They were all first year contributors except for Warner. They all return except for Warner. Experience alone should help that group. Add in Toure, Nixon, Manning, Betts and our giant Freshmen Neville, Grimes, and Hardy and we should have a much better unit from top to bottom.
***Didn't mention WanDale because he was normally playing RB

RB: Should improve
Mills was solid but missed a lot of the season. WanDale was a gamer but he's not built to be an every down back. Frost said after Ohio St that we needed get the ball to WanDale but having him take the bulk of the carries at RB wasn't good for him or the team.

I'll take Stepp, Scott, Yant, Ervin, Thompkins, Rahmir, and Morrison over WanDale as our every down back.

TE: Should Improve
Allen exceeded everyone's expectations last season. He has All-Conference potential. Vokolek and Hickman have experience in our offense. With their being more talent at WR and with the focus on throwing the ball downfield, there should be more room for our TEs do work.

OLine: Unknown
Piper, Benhart, and Corcoran were first year starters and underclassmen last season. This season 4 of our 5 starters will be upperclassmen with at least three seasons in the program. Corcoran being the lone young gun and he's already shown us he can play. Add in our depth and competition with Banks, Hixson, Nouili and Miller and it's hard to expect the group to not improve.

QB: Improve
The overall offensive situation should be much more QB friendly. If we keep Adrian healthy this season, we should see improvement.

Last season:
-Martinez had an inexperienced group of walk-on WRs.
-Inexperienced OL. 3 of our 5 OLinemen had been in the OL room for 2 seasons or less.
-A small WR playing RB.
-He played in a two QB system which rarely works.
-There was an over-emphasis on throwing the safe route and not throwing ints. (Completed 71% of his passes and only had 3 ints all season)

This season
-Inexperienced walk-on WRs from last year now have experience.
-We've added a lot more talent and size to the WR room.
-OL will have upperclassmen at 4 of the 5 positions.
-We won't feature a small WR at RB.
-Martinez looks much faster.
-No two QB system.
-Martinez health being prioritized meaning less QB power and less fumbles.
-Coaches focused on creating big plays downfield.

Kickoff and Kick Return: Improve
We have more overall quality depth at almost every position meaning more talent for special teams.

Martinez loses football games. Worst starting QB for Nebraska since I can remember. Just wait, it will be the same thing as the last 3 years with him. Loss after Loss after Loss with a gimme win every once in awhile. I can't believe people are this stupid to think somehow the losses aren't tied to AM and Frost.

And, there is nothing anyone can do about it now.. because Frost manages (or lack thereof) the roster, so we have 1 upperclass viable QB.. so now Frost has painted himself into a corner. Don't expect anything different, you will only set yourself up for more heartbreak. This is Husker Trainwreck, season 4..

Last edited:
Whoa whoa whoa. There is a HUGE difference between jlb and rambo. Rambo has his issues with our QB and questions things that at times might be reasonable to question but he in no way shape or form is comparable to the troll also know as jlb. I think it is reasonable to express concern about our WR production next year.

That said I too believe as a group we'll be better there. Martin came on at the end of the year last year. Toure is a stud. Nixon has shown some hands and quickness that IMO easily put him in Wandale's class with more size and straight line speed. I can't wait to see him play. We will have MORE weapons and bigger targets in some of those weapons at WR. The question is whether or not it will show up in games and whether or not our QB can deliver the ball on time to put points on the board.
Ya I know the difference Top Gun is a Husker fan and what’s his troll name is the farthest from being one...

I’m not anointing 2AM as all Big 10 QB, but he hasn’t had this much talent around him except for Stanley Morgan and a healthy running back he had his freshman year..It looks like he has his speed back isn’t wearing a knee brace now it comes down to him making proper decisions by not turning the ball over..

Haarberg looks like a true freshman with tons of potential and no question could be our future QB but I don’t think unless 2AM gets injured SF is going to hand over the reins of the offense to him unless Nebraska has a comfortable amount lead...

Yes Martinez has lost games with the offensive line having trouble blocking in pass pro but I think SF has his best offensive line since being in Lincoln.. SF play calling has also lead to losing some games as well..

Martinez loses football games. Worst starting QB for Nebraska since I can remember. Just wait, it will be the same thing as the last 3 years with him. Loss after Loss after Loss with a gimme win every once in awhile. I can't believe people are this stupid to think somehow the losses aren't tied to AM and Frost.

And, there is nothing anyone can do about it now.. because Frost manages (or lack thereof) the roster, so we have 1 upperclass viable QB.. so now Frost has painted himself into a corner. Don't expect anything different, you will only set yourself up for more heartbreak. This is Husker Trainwreck, season 4..
You can't remember Tanner Lee?

Record-wise, Amart is the worst. Worse than Dailey. Worse than Tanner. Worse than Lord. If he doesn't have this "breakout" year that you all say is coming, he'll go down as the worst QB we've ever had.

Lord had better defensive teams helping him win games and the program was more stable... Would have liked to seen Daily play in another offense besides what Callahan was force feeding trying to pass it when we were more of a running team...

2AM also was the first QB to start at QB since day one, T Frazier started mid season taking over for Mike Grant who was another QB in the category with Tanner Lee...

Record-wise, Amart is the worst. Worse than Dailey. Worse than Tanner. Worse than Lord. If he doesn't have this "breakout" year that you all say is coming, he'll go down as the worst QB we've ever had.
Stop. Tanner Lee only had 4 wins. AM is far better. It's not even close

• Haha
If we were the quality team we hoped to be, the W-L record alone would be enough to replace the starting QB with next man up. But, we are not.

I agree. Let’s support him. I will cheer like hell for him...but I will not carry any delusion that we will somehow put a vastly improved product on the field this fall.
I'm expecting a lot of improvement with this year's roster. I left my take below on each position. I'm curious as to which positions or players you actually feel won't improve OR will be worse than last season.

My preseason thoughts on each unit:
DL:
Should improve
The DLine as a unit was solid last year. We bring back the entire group and add a lot of talent. Robinson, Stille, Deontre, Damion, Rogers. Add in the next wave with Riley, Feist, Mosai, and Nash. Thats a lot of good depth for a unit that only fields 2 to 3 players at a time.

OLB: Unknown
Payne came out of nowhere without spring ball, little knowledge of the system, and injuries yet still showed an ability to rush the passer in our Nickel package. We should expect some improvement from him. Nelson was solid but we need more from him, Tannor, and Jackson. Blaise and Jimari will have a yr in the program.

ILB: Likely just as good
We lose Miller and possibly Honas but Reimer and Heinrich played a lot and played well. We add Kolarevic and Honas may also play.

Corner: Should improve
Bootle was fast but couldn't play the ball and was often picked on. CTB is All-Conference caliber. Now we have good, healthy depth with Newsome, Clark, and Joseph who can all contribute. Hard to not see this as an improvement.

Safety: Should improve
Depth is the main reason. Going in to last season we had no depth. We bring back everyone and it sounds like Fisher is confident in both Farmer and Gates whenever they are needed.

Receiver: Should improve
Our starters last year were often Falck, Liewer, Warner, Brown, and Martin. They were all first year contributors except for Warner. They all return except for Warner. Experience alone should help that group. Add in Toure, Nixon, Manning, Betts and our giant Freshmen Neville, Grimes, and Hardy and we should have a much better unit from top to bottom.
***Didn't mention WanDale because he was normally playing RB

RB: Should improve
Mills was solid but missed a lot of the season. WanDale was a gamer but he's not built to be an every down back. Frost said after Ohio St that we needed get the ball to WanDale but having him take the bulk of the carries at RB wasn't good for him or the team.

I'll take Stepp, Scott, Yant, Ervin, Thompkins, Rahmir, and Morrison over WanDale as our every down back.

TE: Should Improve
Allen exceeded everyone's expectations last season. He has All-Conference potential. Vokolek and Hickman have experience in our offense. With their being more talent at WR and with the focus on throwing the ball downfield, there should be more room for our TEs do work.

OLine: Unknown
Piper, Benhart, and Corcoran were first year starters and underclassmen last season. This season 4 of our 5 starters will be upperclassmen with at least three seasons in the program. Corcoran being the lone young gun and he's already shown us he can play. Add in our depth and competition with Banks, Hixson, Nouili and Miller and it's hard to expect the group to not improve.

QB: Improve
The overall offensive situation should be much more QB friendly. If we keep Adrian healthy this season, we should see improvement.

Last season:
-Martinez had an inexperienced group of walk-on WRs.
-Inexperienced OL. 3 of our 5 OLinemen had been in the OL room for 2 seasons or less.
-A small WR playing RB.
-He played in a two QB system which rarely works.
-There was an over-emphasis on throwing the safe route and not throwing ints. (Completed 71% of his passes and only had 3 ints all season)

This season
-Inexperienced walk-on WRs from last year now have experience.
-We've added a lot more talent and size to the WR room.
-OL will have upperclassmen at 4 of the 5 positions.
-We won't feature a small WR at RB.
-Martinez looks much faster.
-No two QB system.
-Martinez health being prioritized meaning less QB power and less fumbles.
-Coaches focused on creating big plays downfield.

Kickoff and Kick Return: Improve
We have more overall quality depth at almost every position meaning more talent for special teams.
Nice work. I agree with most of these points. Some modest improvement does seem reasonable due to depth. There is hope that a couple of the new guys step up and make a big difference.

Reactions: bigredhunter
You guys are all talking about players. Frost is where you need to look for the only possibility of a vastly improved record. I'm not sure if he's dumb, stubborn, or both... but if you see the same dog crap on the field this season you all need to realize the conversation shouldn't be about players. We have good enough players to win more than we lose, period.

You keep saying that. But the fact is Frost is worse. Let that sink in. Frost is worse.

Worse because he had to reconstruct the mess Riley left behind with strength and conditioning which by the way was the worse in close to over 5 decades...

Imo the wait and see approach is the only way to go. There is no way to be sure if this team will execute better than the previous few years. So I understand the skeptical point of view. However there is no question that we are more atheletic at wr and the o line. There appears to be quality depth at rb d line both lb spots and in the secondary. I have no idea what to expect from AM. He looks faster and he still struggles to throw quick screens and check down passes. I cant say much more than that. HH has a lot of talent but I dont expect him to be ready this year. What I take away from all this is this team has the potential to be better than last maybe even a lot better than last year. But they have to prove it. There are reasons to be skeptical and optimistic. I dont know which way to lean because I want to be positive but ive been burned a lot. So Im just going to wait and see. Heres hoping for good things. Gbr!!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: EastOregonHusker
Worse because he had to reconstruct the mess Riley left behind with strength and conditioning which by the way was the worse in close to over 5 decades...
BS. Frost has had more talent than any team in the west in all three years. That excuse didn't work for Riley and it doesn't for Frost as well.

Oh, but he won a MNC at UCF! :rolleyes:

Reactions: HuskerO

Amart has the worst head coach and staff of those listed ... and it isn’t close

Last edited:
BS. Frost has had more talent than any team in the west in all three years. That excuse didn't work for Riley and it doesn't for Frost as well.

Oh, but he won a MNC at UCF! :rolleyes:
Yeah, not sure that's true. I really don't think we had "more" talent. But... we all know that W's have been left on the table time and time again. Out-coached and out-executed at every turn.

You keep saying that. But the fact is Frost is worse. Let that sink in. Frost is worse.
IF Frost had taken over with the QB Riley had when he took over, I would venture to say that Frost would have likely posted a couple of winning seasons. IF. I was a Riley supporter but man in hindsight the guys he brought didn't cut the mustard and Diaco completely destroyed the defensive side of the ball in one season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT