ADVERTISEMENT

Every new coach is a gamble

moralvictories

First Team All-Big Ten
Jan 22, 2022
Just because they had success in the past doesn't automatically guarantee that they will be successful going forward. The best example is Scott Frost. His success at UCF didn't translate into success at Nebraska

Just because they had success in the past doesn't automatically guarantee that they will be successful going forward. The best example is Scott Frost. His success at UCF didn't translate into success at Nebraska
Case in point Urban Meyer. There were rumors before he was forced out at OSU that he was having some emotional issues. His tenure in Florida supports that. He quit at Florida supposedly for stress related health issues.

no doubt there’s some serious digging going on as pertains to NU’s top targets

Reactions: Anegada1
Case in point Urban Meyer. There were rumors before he was forced out at OSU that he was having some emotional issues. His tenure in Florida supports that. He quit at Florida supposedly for stress related health issues.

no doubt there’s some serious digging going on as pertains to NU’s top targets
Not sure this is case in point. Meyer has been successful at every stop along the way. He has been a head coach for 17 years. Has finished in the top 6, in 10 of those seasons 17 seasons, including 6 of his 7 seasons at Ohio St. Not sure the numbers are telling the story you think they are.

Not sure this is case in point. Meyer has been successful at every stop along the way. He has been a head coach for 17 years. Has finished in the top 6, in 10 of those seasons 17 seasons, including 6 of his 7 seasons at Ohio St. Not sure the numbers are telling the story you think they are.
And he melted down at his last coaching gig in less than a season. IF the rumors are true about his mental health I wouldn’t want to hand him over 6 million a year with a 20+ million buyout

no guarantees.

Reactions: king_kong_
I’m increasingly of the mind we’re going to give the job to Mickey. I don’t really think trev intended to bring him up here to put a pretty face on the plane crash and then disappear.

any proven coach would want his own staff and that may or may not include Mickey.

there are a lot of coaches who probably put NU in the 6-9 win category and very few that guarantee any more than that.

mickey and a solid staff wouldn’t.break the bank and is a long term solution.

I’m increasingly of the mind we’re going to give the job to Mickey. I don’t really think trev intended to bring him up here to put a pretty face on the plane crash and then disappear.

any proven coach would want his own staff and that may or may not include Mickey.
IF he hired the right assistants he would probably be fine. He would need some very good coordinators

there are a lot of coaches who probably put NU in the 6-9 win category and very few that guarantee any more than that.

I haven't heard a number yet that would break the bank. Nebraska can "afford" to pay a lot more than what it would/will actually take to hire a top candidate.

If Mickey wins 5 more and gets us bowling sure, if we don’t and still look like garbage and Trev hands it to Mickey, he may as well pack his suitcase and head back to Iowa.

Of course there is no certainty or guarantees with any coaching hire. BUT you're playing the probabilities. Obviously some candidates have a higher probability of success than others just based on past history. Frost seemed like a good bet at the time but I'm guessing in the end he couldn't handle the huge salary bump that came with his new job. Excess money can corrupt and tempt some people. Happens frequently to Hollywood stars and singers.

kinda seems like it, then we just happen to have a dc handy

Worrying about breaking the bank is the dumbest thing to do. You have an operation that creates millions of dollars in revenue each year and the quickest way to turning it Into one doesn't is to not reinvest the bulk of that revenue right back into the operation to try to make it even stronger. Money isn't the problem, apathy and results are. You don't stop leveraging your best resources that you have abundance of while you are trying to fix the ones you are lacking.

Of course there is no certainty or guarantees with any coaching hire. BUT you're playing the probabilities. Obviously some candidates have a higher probability of success than others just based on past history. Frost seemed like a good bet at the time but I'm guessing in the end he couldn't handle the huge salary bump that came with his new job. Excess money can corrupt and tempt some people. Happens frequently to Hollywood stars and singers.
That and Nebraska is a high pressure job vs G5 schools and places like Kansas or Iowa State. Some coaches do good in low pressure situations but fall apart when there is a lot of pressure. Perhaps that's what happened to Scott Frost.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Worrying about breaking the bank is the dumbest thing to do. You have an operation that creates millions of dollars in revenue each year and the quickest way to turning it Into one doesn't is to not reinvest the bulk of that revenue right back into the operation to try to make it even stronger. Money isn't the problem, apathy and results are. You don't stop leveraging your best resources that you have abundance of while you are trying to fix the ones you are lacking.
I’m not worried about it but Nebraska is not particularly known for being at the top edge of pay.

in my opinion if our top two targets are BOB and Campbell I don’t think it’s worth $8 million for them plus buyouts vs whatever it would take to keep Mickey and a good DC.

I’m not worried about it but Nebraska is not particularly known for being at the top edge of pay.

in my opinion if our top two targets are BOB and Campbell I don’t think it’s worth $8 million for them plus buyouts vs whatever it would take to keep Mickey and a good DC.
Campbell is a proven program rebuilder, as he took Iowa State, a perennial loser and turned them into a 7-8 wins per year team. Mickey Joseph is an unproven coach, so if I had to gamble, I would take Matt Campbell over Mickey Joseph.

At some point you have to analyze whether you might get just as many wins with a younger guy who has done it at a smaller school. Personally I would be fine with gambling on a young coach. That’s the rage right now in the NFL.

Four B12 coaches were hired four years ago.

Wells at TxT - fired
Miles at Ku - laughingstock, fired
Brown at WVU - hot seat
Klieman at K-State

Noteables since,
Sark at Texas - hot seat
Venables at OU - we'll see
Aranda at Baylor
Lance at Ku

Yes, it's a gamble. Yes, water is wet. Maybe a 25% chance of success. IDK?

We’ve got to develop some linemen
Yep. Can't keep going after kids that are 6'6" to 6'10" and can't move.

Get rid of Duvall and develop some OL and DL men.

Before Teddy was hurt, what college teams have a LT at 6'10" and a RT at 6'9"?

If bookend 6'10" aand 6'9" OT's were the rage, we'd see those body types starting at Bama Ga, OSU, Clemson, USC.

Last edited:
Yep. Can't keep going after kids that are 6'6" to 6'10" and can't move.
Get rid of Duvall and develop some OL and DL men.
Before Teddy was hurt, what college teams have a LT at 6'10" and a RT at 6'9"?
I really believe our QBs struggle seeing over those guys and with the collapsing pocket and no throwing lanes it can cause picks.

The depth of that is staggering. This could be one of the best bits of advice I’ve ever seen.

Get over it. Urb can party with young stuff and have no pressure and still make millions. Why in the hell would he take the NU job. Urban already has anxiety issues. Coaching at NU would probably finish him off.
Other than Saban, Swinney, Fischer, Kelley, Harbaugh, Franklin, the top college coaches are in their 40's, or in Lincoln Riley's case 39.

Smart, Riley, Day, Aranda, Fickell, Kiffin, Napier, Heupel.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Other than Saban, Swinney, Fischer, Kelley, Harbaugh, Franklin, the top college coaches are in their 40', or in Lincoln Riley's case 39.

Smart, Riley, Day, Aranda, Fickell Kiffin, Lampier, Heupel.
No doubt we hired the wrong UCF coach. I told people Heupel was going to be good and I got laughed at. Dabo is the poster child of why we need to consider Mickey. Frankly I think Mickey brings more to the table than Dabo did at the time.

I’ve come to the conclusion that Frost just isn’t very smart. Hire a really smart guy who works his ass off.

No doubt we hired the wrong UCF coach. I told people Heupel was going to be good and I got laughed at. Dabo is the poster child of why we need to consider Mickey. Frankly I think Mickey brings more to the table than Dabo did at the time.

I’ve come to the conclusion that Frost just isn’t very smart. Hire a really smart guy who works his ass off.
Dabo is a rare exception,, not the norm. Clemson hit the Powerball jackpot on that hire.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT