ADVERTISEMENT

Even Osborne lost to Iowa St with a freshman QB

Red_Symptoms

Redshirt Freshman
Oct 30, 2016
I know, I know...it was a fluke and Frost isn't Osborne. But, bad games can happen. I was thinking a bit more about what Frost said; about there might have been a bit too much patting each other on the back instead of refocusing and preparing. In fact, his words sounded quite a bit like Osborne's own in 1992:

So I was thinking; going into the game against Illinois, I was 100% sure that I was seeing improvement. Defense was more physical. Both lines were stronger. Not anywhere where we need to be, but better than Riley teams. Sure there were still question marks. Receivers weren't getting open downfield. Drops in the end zone. We had a freshman QB. Still lacking overall defensive speed. But overall, things seemed better and depending on how quickly McCaffery developed would seem to have a big impact on the future of the season.

Then came the Illinois game. It never entered my mind that we might lose. Was the improvement I was seeing just an illusion? Perhaps so. However, it is possible that this is in fact a learning point in a rebuilding effort. Many coaches have talked about teams needing to "learn to win" and "winning is a mindset". Maybe, in our disappointment, we shouldn't so cynically dismiss Frost's statements after the game. Perhaps a bit of the benefit of the doubt is needed. After all, if winning teams and winning programs can have a letdown; how is it not possible that our program might too?

I'm not trying to clear all criticism from Frost. Obviously the play calling has been suspect and our rubber band defensive philosophy are not helping. I'm just saying that its possible that the Illinois game is not indicative that Frost is failing. I think he has been a bit unlucky that Martinez did not turn out as was hoped and getting athletes & speed has been harder than expected.

Lets let the season play out and then evaluate. Maybe this game will turn out to be a bump in the road. Maybe it will define the Frost era.

Last edited:
I know, I know...it was a fluke. But, bad games can happen. I was thinking a bit more about what Frost said; about there might have been a bit too much patting each other on the back instead of refocusing and preparing. In fact, his words sounded quite a bit like Osborne's own in 1992:

So I was thinking; going into the game against Illinois, I was 100% sure that I was seeing improvement. Defense was more physical. Both lines were stronger. Not anywhere where we need to be, but better than Riley teams. Sure there were still question marks. Receivers weren't getting open downfield. Drops in the end zone. We had a freshman QB. Still lacking overall defensive speed. But overall, things seemed better and depending on how quickly McCaffery developed would seem to have a big impact on the future of the season.

Then came the Illinois game. It never entered my mind that we might lose. Was the improvement I was seeing just an illusion? Perhaps so. However, it is possible that this is in fact a learning point in a rebuilding effort. Many coaches have talked about teams needing to "learn to win" and "winning is a mindset". Maybe, in our disappointment, we shouldn't so cynically dismiss Frost's statements after the game. Perhaps a bit of the benefit of the doubt is needed. After all, if winning teams and winning programs can have a letdown; how is it not possible that our program might too?

I'm not trying to clear all criticism from Frost. Obviously the play calling has been suspect and our rubber band defensive philosophy are not helping. I'm just saying that its possible that the Illinois game is not indicative that Frost is failing. I think he has been a bit unlucky that Martinez did not turn out as was hoped and getting athletes & speed has been harder than expected.

Lets let the season play out and then evaluate. Maybe this game will turn out to be a bump in the road. Maybe it will define the Frost era.
It hasn’t been just Illinois. It’s been Colorado twice, Troy, Purdue with 3rd strong qb. At Minnesota last year. Indiana last year.

It hasn’t been just Illinois. It’s been Colorado twice, Troy, Purdue with 3rd strong qb. At Minnesota last year. Indiana last year.

I know. But my argument is that this year's team is better than the teams that lost those games. I'm saying that the Illinois result was an upset; not that they were actually better than us. (Maybe)

Reactions: dinglefritz
source.gif

Reactions: Red_Symptoms
Truth be told I thought we were done with our teams just completely forgetting to show up like in the Riley era and Pelini era with big games. Just pathetic that we look so out of place and lost one week and then just fine in some areas the next. Maybe if they didn't celebrate like winning the super bowl after beating the worst team in the east they would have been more focused, but still it's poor effort from top to bottom.

I know. But my argument is that this year's team is better than the teams that lost those games. I'm saying that the Illinois result was an upset; not that they were actually better than us. (Maybe)
We are exactly what the scoreboard showed last week.

Who knows what's going on in practice and the locker room, but if what the players are posting and saying is any indication, it's a lot of half ass and grab ass.

there might have been a bit too much patting each other on the back instead of refocusing and preparing.

better than Riley teams.
Perhaps a bit of the benefit of the doubt is needed.
I'm just saying that its possible that the Illinois game is not indicative that Frost is failing.

if a team is patting themselves on the back instead of refocusing after needing a red zone stop to beat a winless team after being horrendous for 2+ years then your coach is failing

the current teams are not better than Riley teams -- a .350 winning percentage is not better than a .500 winning percentage

being hapless for the third straight year does not garner one "the benefit of the doubt" .... plenty of doubt has been earned over the last 2+ years

I agree one game is not indicative of failing ... a winning percentage of 0.350 and having to scramble for the third consecutive year just to stay out of last place in the division after spouting off about competing for the title in year 2 are pretty solid indices of failure to this point

the Iowa State game you reference was a massive upset -- the Illinois game last week was not -- Illinois was the better team

too many continue playing the role of a parent whose kid is getting straight Fs and blaming the teachers

the demagoguery continues

Last edited:
Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
I was at the gas station Friday evening. The attendant asked me if Nebraska was going to be able to beat Illinois. I chuckled and said who knows, depends on which team shows up.

Back in the day you would prepare to watch a win and more times than not, an ass whooping by the Huskers. Now I have no conficence in them winning any game. It doesnt matter if they are playing a D-II school, I still wouldnt expect a win. No game is a gimmie for Nebraska anymore and that is sad.

Boy, wouldn't it be nice to go back to the old days when we did get beat it was either a major upset or by some team from the south with superior talent in a bowl game.

Some people's desire to see this program magically improve is clouding their view of the games and the actual play.

Reactions: CatColumbia
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT