ADVERTISEMENT

Even IF we lose to Iowa...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have said this team plays better than the sum of its parts. With the number of seniors, it will be interesting to see what the Husker team looks like next year.

Just sucks we more then likely won't have a healthy Tommy to play Iowa, been waiting for this game since last years loss. The game is finally about here and we might not have our most important player. Myself I'd rather see who wins with everyone's best on the field, not handicapped without there star QB.

Reactions: kingsfsp
Just sucks we more then likely won't have a healthy Tommy to play Iowa, been waiting for this game since last years loss. The game is finally about here and we might not have our most important player. Myself I'd rather see who wins with everyone's best on the field, not handicapped without there star QB.
Never fear, our defense is salty, the O-Line is serviceable, and Ryker "the rifle" Fyfe will light them up.

It'll be a successful year even if we lose to Iowa (well, unless we get blown out, which is very unlikely). I think we can still beat Iowa even without TA though. But you have to play the game.

we will need armstrong, solid game plan, and execution. but we can beat iowa

It hasbeen 35 years for Iowa in Iowa City in this series.

Record of Iowa (vs Nebraska),

Site First Meeting Last Meeting Games Win % Wins Losses Ties Average Score
Any 1979 2015 11 0.273 3 8 15.64 29.18
Home 1979 2014 5 0.200 1 4 15.80 24.60
Away 1980 2015 6 0.333 2 4 15.50 33.00

Individual Game Results of Iowa (vs Nebraska),
Date Opponent (record) Result Score Site
11/27/2015 @ *Nebraska (6-7) W 28 20
11/28/2014 vs. *Nebraska (9-4) L 34 37
11/29/2013 @ *Nebraska (9-4) W 38 17
11/23/2012 vs. *Nebraska (10-4) L 7 13
11/25/2011 @ *Nebraska (9-4) L 7 20
9/23/2000 @ Nebraska (10-2) L 13 42
9/4/1999 vs. Nebraska (12-1) L 7 42
9/11/1982 @ Nebraska (12-1) L 7 42
9/12/1981 vs. Nebraska (9-3) W 10 7
9/20/1980 @ Nebraska (10-2) L 0 57
9/22/1979 vs. Nebraska (10-2) L 21 24

Iowa sucks.

I wouldn't say Iowa sucks. I would like to say that but it just wouldn't be true. I think us and Iowa are a lot more even than people think. They have had the injury bug bite them this year as well. The best thing Nebraska has going in their favor this week is Iowa having the most over paid coach in all of college football on their sidelines. I actually feel bad for CJ Beathard not having someone that can develop a QB in IC. Great for us, bad for them.

I think it is crazy that this is our first time being undefeated at home since 2001 (or so says BTN). Lets finish this season with a big win over Iowa and a bowl win as well.

GO BIG FREAKING RED

Well my intent here was not to bash Iowa but rather praise OUR boys... Our feelings about Iowa can go in another thread

very important game ...

we still are in contention for the West title
a loss means we finish 3rd in the division

a loss would also mean we we would be 3-3 against Iowa since joining the BIG with Iowa owning the last 2 .. a loss that leaves you looking up the standings at Iowa puts a big damper on the season

the 2 teams have equal talent - a loss would also mean the coach who is often maligned here would be 2-0 vs Riley

Last edited:
By any measure Iowa is a good team, note I dd not say GREAT team. Does anyone really think the Huskers fall into the GREAT category? Iowa is well coached, you can bash him and his staff all day long but they do a good job getting talent to Iowa and developing it. They play a consistent hard nose style of play that is not flashy and makes you make mistakes and then they take advantage of them. I am not an Iowa fan but to totally disregard when they have done is ridiculous. They had a great year last year, beat all comers until the end - we would have gladly taken that option as well.

I agree with the poster who stated that we have more in common than not. I also read there is question about a solid game plan - sheez, it isn't like our coaches just fell off the turnip truck. They will have a solid plan but it still requires execution. With or without Tommy, you still have to do the little things like block, tackle, catch the ball and be in the right place to make those plays. Iowa wears you down with physical play and their lack of mistakes - they won't beat themselves very often and we will have to play very good to beat them there. I would never say they suck but I would say that about any opponent. I guarantee you the Husker coaching staff and players are not saying Iowa sucks.

Iowa wasn't great in 1981 either, but Iowa upset #7 Nebraska 10-7 lead by the Hawkeyes D.

Iowa went on to finish 8-4, while Nebraska went 9-3.

A win by Iowa will leave each team with the same respective record 35 years later.

This is an interesting game. Iowa's offense is a tad better in 2016, then 1981. If the Michigan game defense shows up, it could be an interesting game for Iowa.

I look forward to being at this one.

Mike Reilly and Kirk Ferentz were good hires for their respective schools. The 1981 game was Kirk Ferentz's debut as Hayden Fry's offensive line assistant.

Happy Thanksgiving week to all!

Iowa wasn't great in 1981 either, but Iowa upset #7 Nebraska 10-7 lead by the Hawkeyes D.

Iowa went on to finish 8-4, while Nebraska went 9-3.

A win by Iowa will leave each team with the same respective record 35 years later.

This is an interesting game. Iowa's offense is a tad better in 2016, then 1981. If the Michigan game defense shows up, it could be an interesting game for Iowa.

I look forward to being at this one.

Mike Reilly and Kirk Ferentz were good hires for their respective schools. The 1981 game was Kirk Ferentz's debut as Hayden Fry's offensive line assistant.

Happy Thanksgiving week to all!

I don't remember Iowa being one of the 10 worst offense in 1981 like they are this year.
Difference is in 81 that was the season opener and and this year it's the season finally..
One thing it may have in common is Nebraska like in 1981 won't have it's best QB starting..
Would have loved to seen Iowa beat us with Turner Gill.... Ohhhh wait they did in 1982. Winking

If we beat Iowa, we will guarantee the fewest losses for a Husker team since 2003 (barring a Wisconsin loss to Minnesota) with a chance for the fewest losses since 2001 going into the bowl game. That would be huge.
Acually if Wisconsin loses and we win this week, it would be very similar to 2012. We went 10-2 in the regular season that year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Nebraska_Cornhuskers_football_team

If we win and Wisconsin wins, it'll be like 2011 Michigan: 10-2 with 2 conference losses and not playing in the conference title game.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Michigan_Wolverines_football_team
Unfortunately, we probably won't be looking at a Big 6 bowl game thanks to the spanking Ohio State gave us.

I don't remember Iowa being one of the 10 worst offense in 1981 like they are this year.
Difference is in 81 that was the season opener and and this year it's the season finally..
One thing it may have in common is Nebraska like in 1981 won't have it's best QB starting..
Would have loved to seen Iowa beat us with Turner Gill.... Ohhhh wait they did in 1982. Winking
No, Iowa did not beat us with Turner Gill in 1982... We rolled them 42-7. Am I missing something here?

No, Iowa did not beat us with Turner Gill in 1982... We rolled them 42-7. Am I missing something here?

Sarcasm, noticed I said oh wait we did in 1982... Should have given the score so it wasn't so confuseing.:confused:

What's the status of Tommy, Westerkamp and Ozigbo for the Iowa game Friday?
I do not know the status of the above but , as for Tommy and Jordan I would think there would be no freakin way you could keep them out as seniors playing the last game of their final season as Huskers, not counting the bowl game . as for z bo I think he'll be ready if needed , no inside source just gut feelings.

I have been impressed with Nebraska all year, think they are plahying at a pretty decent level. The big question before the season was if TA would improve or not and he has played great for the most part. Iowa's lack of WR depth has really hurt them especially after Vandenburg went down for the year. Most Iowa fans would be ok with the season if not for the NDSU game and even NW.

I was worried we wouldnt win another game after PSU and they have a chance to win out. Think the team will be fired up Friday and have seen the D really play well last two weeks.

I like your chances if TA plays and is healthy. If he doesn't, I like Iowa to win the game.

The Iowa defense will make life very hard for the Nebraska offense, I'm not quite sure as of today how the Iowa offense will be against the Nebraska D. I would assume Iowa will attempt to pound the ball all day with the running game.

I think it is a pretty even matchup Hawkeyes going for 8 wins and Nebraska going for the elusive 10th win.

The Iowa defense will make life very hard for the Nebraska offense, I'm not quite sure as of today how the Iowa offense will be against the Nebraska D. I would assume Iowa will attempt to pound the ball all day with the running game.

I think it is a pretty even matchup Hawkeyes going for 8 wins and Nebraska going for the elusive 10th win.

How is a 10th win for NU any more elusive than Iowa's 8th? o_O

iowa_press_conference_sam_caption1_zps8tklwvul.jpg

The 10th win hasn't exactly been elusive, Pelini won 10 several times. It's the loosing less than 4 that we haven't done for a while.

If Iowa wins it will be due to special teams. Nebraska is horrible at it and Iowa is very good at it.

If Iowa wins it will be due to special teams. Nebraska is horrible at it and Iowa is very good at it.

Close games often do come down to the special teams. Win the field position game as it doesn't look like either team is going to overpower the other with their offensive production. If we can move the ball at all on Iowa it is going to be huge. We start playing from behind in both the score and the chains and it will be a long day. As long as we sputter on O and they are doing the same, we can afford to keep plugging away on O without taking chances. Once we get behind it becomes a different ballgame. It is so much nicer to play from a position of being in control and making the other team press to catch up.

Reactions: saluno22
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT