ADVERTISEMENT

Evan Bland tweeted some good tidbits.

Reditus

Redshirt Freshman
Jun 20, 2019

32 is more than I expected. Good deal.

I am okay with shortening one of the double header games to 7 innings. Not sure how some of the purists feel about it but personally as an OLD spectator, I've got a max 15 innings attention span before I conk out.

For you smart people out there. Question is there any reason to have the 7 inning game first rather than last? Is it to increase the odds of completing a game on weather days or is there some other reason?

Last edited:

32 is more than I expected. Good deal.

I am okay with shortening one of the double header games to 7 innings. Not sure how some of the purists feel about it but personally as an OLD spectator, I've got a max 15 innings attention span before I conk out.

For you smart people out there. Question is there any reason to have the 7 inning game first rather than last? Is it to increase the odds of completing a game on weather days or is there some other reason?
Well at least they did something right

Personally, I’m shocked they didn’t follow MLB’s lead from last year and go with two 7-inning games on doubleheader days. But it really only affects two games on the schedule (vs. Purdue and vs. Minnesota) as those are the only two scheduled doubleheaders with the same opponent. It doesn’t work with the pods because you’d have a team with only one game that day playing seven innings.

Now, if a three-game series winds up with a doubleheader due to weather, would one of those games be seven innings? It wouldn’t make any sense to me to do so because it seems the intent is to shave a four-game weekend down from 36 innings to 34. But the Big Ten lately does lots of things that don’t make sense.

Reactions: saluno22
That could be part of it. But it might also be about managing the arms, especially in a runaway game. If I’m the manager of either team and it’s 15-3 after three innings, I would much rather navigate four more innings with a full game afterward than have to play six more throwaway innings followed by a shortened game.

Last edited:
Good move by the conference. Some JUCO leagues follow the same for doubleheaders. It's to protect arms first and foremost, especially if game one goes extras, but also protects the players in general.

36 innings in less than 48 hours is really tough. Especially when one loses an important arm two weeks before the season starts.

That could be part of it. But it might also be about managing the arms, especially in a runaway game. If I’m the manager of either team and it’s 15-3 after three innings, I would much rather navigate four more innings with a full game afterward than have to play six more throwaway innings followed by a shortened game.
I wonder if they would institute a 10-run rule on doubleheader days like they do in the conference tournament.

Reactions: Reditus
NAIA and Juco do 7 inn double header’s. A lot of those schools play a DH on Tuesday or Wednesday and then a 4 game series with two 7 inn DH’s Saturday/Sunday. Some tournaments are “open” and are a mix of Juco/D3/NAIA/D2. When they play an NCAA team they must play 9 innings or the game does not count for the NCAA team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT