Estimated birds and bats killed annually by wind turbine

nelsonj22

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2014
I’ll stand with what I posted. I don’t see wind turbines in the middle of the country as an answer to our energy needs. Let me put it another way. Building the turbines in the plains states with transmission lines to the rest of the country just does make sense (or cents) to me. Especially when this is going to be competing with solar power. I’m not considering just wind.
Ummm you realize we use electricity in the Midwest correct? Iowa is absolutely killing it in renewables % of total electrical generation.

Also sorry you don't understand why they put them in the Midwest, I explained and even gave you a pretty map 🤷‍♂️

nelsonj22

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2014
here is an article on oil spills. I don’t have any idea about bird deaths from farming but once you get your ranching operations going you can tell us how many birds you kill each day/week/year. The big difference in my mind is your cows don’t intent to trample a quail nest, but when you build a Wind Turbine you know your going to kill some birds. https://www.investors.com/politics/...d-solar-plans-kill-far-birds-than-oil-spills/
Why does it have to be birds? Go look at the endangered species lists for farm states.

Farming put them their, and when you destroy the natural habitat, you know 100% you are killing wildlife.

I consider all wildlife equal, not just birds.

Reactions: philosophusker

dragonraider1

Senior
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
Why does it have to be birds? Go look at the endangered species lists for farm states.

Farming put them their, and when you destroy the natural habitat, you know 100% you are killing wildlife.

I consider all wildlife equal, not just birds.
Equal to you?

IndyHusker

Administrator
Aug 23, 2001
Lafayette, Indiana
So Joe and the Comrade are what you have been searching for over 62 years to make America something you can identify with?
You haven’t been paying attention for the past four years on here. Getting rid of Trump before he destroyed our country has been my focus. I think it’s now terribly obvious that my endeavor was noble. You’re welcome.

dragonraider1

Senior
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
You haven’t been paying attention for the past four years on here. Getting rid of Trump before he destroyed our country has been my focus. I think it’s now terribly obvious that my endeavor was noble. You’re welcome.
Cheating is never noble. Truth will soon rise on the the corruption you chose over liberty.

nelsonj22

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2014
Have you ever ran over a skunk or raccoon? If so I would assume you would go to Clergy to confess your murder rather than the County Sherriff.
Yes also killed many possums and raccoons with a bat, not so much skunks, 22lr and conibears. Hope this helps, and no I didn't confess.

I do break and swerve for anything from barnswallows and ground squirrels to whitetails.

Reactions: philosophusker

kidofSN

Junior
Gold Member
Jul 4, 2007
Glass has to go. No more windows etc.

1) How many birds are killed by glass collisions in the U.S. each year?​

Because glass is used so widely, giving a definitive answer is difficult, but Smithsonian researchers attempted to do so in 2014.

They estimated that homes and other buildings one to three stories tall accounted for 44 percent of all bird fatalities, about 253 million bird deaths annually. Larger, low-rise buildings four to 11 stories high caused 339 million deaths. And high-rise buildings, 11 floors and higher, kill 508,000 total birds annually. Individual skyscrapers can be quite deadly for birds, but they kill fewer birds overall due to their limited numbers.

By combining these numbers, the Smithsonian reported that collisions likely kill between 365 million and 1 billion birds annually in the United States, with a median estimate of 599 million.

We believe that the true number is closer to a billion, for several reasons. For one, data used in the study is now more than six years old, and there has been a steady increase in glass use since that time, increasing the likelihood of fatal collisions. In addition, we've learned that bird carcass reports tend to understate deaths, meaning that more dead birds go uncounted than we realized.

This means that the only anthropogenic (human-caused) threat that kills more birds in the United States each year is domestic cats.

franzix

Senior
Gold Member
Aug 25, 2003
Glass has to go. No more windows etc.

1) How many birds are killed by glass collisions in the U.S. each year?​

Because glass is used so widely, giving a definitive answer is difficult, but Smithsonian researchers attempted to do so in 2014.

They estimated that homes and other buildings one to three stories tall accounted for 44 percent of all bird fatalities, about 253 million bird deaths annually. Larger, low-rise buildings four to 11 stories high caused 339 million deaths. And high-rise buildings, 11 floors and higher, kill 508,000 total birds annually. Individual skyscrapers can be quite deadly for birds, but they kill fewer birds overall due to their limited numbers.

By combining these numbers, the Smithsonian reported that collisions likely kill between 365 million and 1 billion birds annually in the United States, with a median estimate of 599 million.

We believe that the true number is closer to a billion, for several reasons. For one, data used in the study is now more than six years old, and there has been a steady increase in glass use since that time, increasing the likelihood of fatal collisions. In addition, we've learned that bird carcass reports tend to understate deaths, meaning that more dead birds go uncounted than we realized.

This means that the only anthropogenic (human-caused) threat that kills more birds in the United States each year is domestic cats.
Holy cow! Op wants to add to the carnage by putting turbines on top of glass buildings. It's getting out of hand.

• Haha
Reactions: nelsonj22

kkotsch87

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Nov 3, 2002
I have large windows in my house. sometimes if you are sitting there in the evening you will hear a loud thump on one of the windows, and when you go outside there is a dead bird laying below. Maybe we should ban all windows in houses too.

Reactions: Lar Gand

franzix

Senior
Gold Member
Aug 25, 2003
I have large windows in my house. sometimes if you are sitting there in the evening you will hear a loud thump on one of the windows, and when you go outside there is a dead bird laying below. Maybe we should ban all windows in houses too.
Or at least make them translucent instead of transparent. I'm going to go with opaque just to be safe.

Latest posts