ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN is reporting Bob Bowlsby is a candidate for the Texas AD job....

For those that don't pay attention to the Tiny Twelve anymore, Bob is the current commissioner.

RrMHH4morVkKA.gif

Call me crazy, but this could mark the beginning of the end for the Big 12. From what I gather Bowlsby was the one who was able to keep the conference together over the past few years and keep more re-alignment at bay. Based on those article in the OWH earlier this summer it seems as if the demise of the Big 12 is almost inevitable. I know he's a Texas alum but with his knowledge of the state of the Big 12 this could just be a very convenient move for him.

Reactions: hawkit3113
Dear KSU, ISU, and possibly other former BIG 8 schools. Sorry in advance for your being left out of a power 5 conference. Had your predecessors not cowered to Bevo back in the 90s, maybe Texas wouldn't have repaid your loyalty in such unforgivable manner?

Best of luck in the future trying to wrestle the conference championshup from North Dakota State.

Last edited:
Reactions: 94husker and c2o
If true, this is the most insane and unethical thing I think I have ever heard from someone that high up.

If true, this is the most insane and unethical thing I think I have ever heard from someone that high up.

Unethical, maybe. Insane, not at all. Insane would be staying on as the Big 12 Commissioner while knowing full well that your job will most likely not exist in the next 5-10 years. Frankly he's probably the smartest person at the Big 12 offices to jump ship like that. When you really think about it, the only logical move in the next round of conference realignment is to break up the Big 12. The Pac-12 is isolated on the West Coast, so they're not going anywhere. The BIG and the SEC are the highest in TV rights and are the 2 most stable conferences, so we're not going anywhere. The ACC just locked up a fairly substantial TV deal and just made exit fees nearly unbearable for member schools so they really aren't at risk of any schools being pulled. That leaves the Big 12. Fairly low exit fees. Once the next round of TV deals is put to bed they will be among the lowest in major college football. Texas and OU, and even KU to a lesser extent can just name where they want to go. The Big 12 really has nothing to offer outside of OU and Texas, and frankly those are the only schools holding the conference together at this point. They have some nice stories in Baylor, KSU, and TCU, but it's all too little too late at this point. The Big 12 is on it's last leg, Bowlsby knows it, so he's jumping ship and he's going to get a nice soft landing place in the Texas AD position. Wherever they land, whether that is the BIG, the PAC 12, SEC or ACC, or if Texas decides to go independent, Bowlsby will end up with a nice comfortable guaranteed salary. So why stay at the Big 12?

ADVERTISEMENT