ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN has us at 10-2

I can see it but I don't think Minnesota is one of our losses.
For those saying Minnesota isn't good, Minnesota crushed Purdue. Minnesota also fired the DCoordinator after Nebraska & Illinois embarrassing loss. Minnesota put up 30+ on offense last few games. 40 on Purdue, 30+ on Wisconsin and Georgia tech. Gophers have two of best WR'S in nation. Two good QB's. Really good oline & defense

For those saying Minnesota isn't good, Minnesota crushed Purdue. Minnesota also fired the DCoordinator after Nebraska & Illinois embarrassing loss. Minnesota put up 30+ on offense last few games. 40 on Purdue, 30+ on Wisconsin and Georgia tech. Gophers have two of best WR'S in nation. Two good QB's. Really good oline & defense

Soooo.......

Playoff run with all that firepower?

Minnesota isn’t good.

Last edited:
Minnesota will be good, but without very consistent higher level qb play, theyll also stumble, and possibly look great in moments.
The coaching has somewhat proven itself,but now comes its consistency as well, as other Big teams learn their tendencies. That is unproven as well.

I will be very pleasantly surprised if the Huskers go 10-2. That means I am wrong about the DC in Lincoln. And I hope I am wrong and several people call me out for being wrong. However I am not overly hopeful that is going to happen!

Come pounding your chest when Minnesota doesn’t get BLOW OUT 53-28 by the Huskers. Then you might have a little more fire power. Until then, you kind of need to play PROVE IT first. I don’t give a crap what they did against OTHER teams. They got completely biotched slapped by the Huskers last year...and badly. Your 28 points by this high powered offense you speak off didn’t look so great against our defense and that says a lot...;)

Come pounding your chest when Minnesota doesn’t get BLOW OUT 53-28 by the Huskers. Then you might have a little more fire power. Until then, you kind of need to play PROVE IT first. I don’t give a crap what they did against OTHER teams. They got completely biotched slapped by the Huskers last year...and badly. Your 28 points by this high powered offense you speak off didn’t look so great against our defense and that says a lot...;)

Before you keep talking, Minnesota fired their DCoordinator after Nebraska game & essentially shut down Wisconsin, Purdue and Georgia tech. Minnesota scored 30+ on offense last few games & didn't punt last 10 Quarters

Before you keep talking, Minnesota fired their DCoordinator after Nebraska game & essentially shut down Wisconsin, Purdue and Georgia tech. Minnesota scored 30+ on offense last few games & didn't punt last 10 Quarters

so new defensive coordinator was responsible for the roasting at the hands of Illinois? and just to keep it factual the Gophers scored 14 against Northwestern in second to last weekend of regular season.

Nebraska whipped Minnesota last year with a 4-8 team. Nebraska will be better this year. That spells big trouble for Minnesota.

Reactions: TheBeav815
so new defensive coordinator was responsible for the roasting at the hands of Illinois? and just to keep it factual the Gophers scored 14 against Northwestern in second to last weekend of regular season.

Minnesota fired DCoordinator after Illinois game. After this only game lost was northwestern due to interceptions thrown by Morgan. Minnesota is a lot better & you wont come into Minnesota & trash the gophers under this DCoordinator & with the improved offense. Zack annexed is a lot better also & Tanner Morgan will be backup. Gophers have 2 of the top WR's in BigTen, nation. One of the best running backs & online which featured Daniel faleele and Curtis Dunlap who gophers beat out major schools such as Alabama & Georgia Bulldogs for. They changed the oline in a big way

Minnesota fired DCoordinator after Illinois game. After this only game lost was northwestern due to interceptions thrown by Morgan. Minnesota is a lot better & you wont come into Minnesota & trash the gophers under this DCoordinator & with the improved offense. Zack annexed is a lot better also & Tanner Morgan will be backup. Gophers have 2 of the top WR's in BigTen, nation. One of the best running backs & online which featured Daniel faleele and Curtis Dunlap who gophers beat out major schools such as Alabama & Georgia Bulldogs for. They changed the oline in a big way
Just be ready for another whipping. If you somehow keep the score close, that will be a victory for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerssalts

thanks for letting me know. I just want to make sure that all you spew is factual and not contradictory, so I have a much clearer picture now. I am now very intimidated for the trip to Minneapolis.

Reactions: SOHusker11

Huskers had almost 700 total yards of offense against Minnesota, 3 players rushing over 100 plus yards in the game...one being Adrain Martinez and our other true freshman Maurice Washington, Stan Morgan Jr had dam near a record day and went for 10 rc for 163 yards 2 TDs, while JD Speilman has 8 rc for 77 yards and 1TD...for a Huskers 53 to Minn 28 beat down...heck it was 28-8 by half time

So yea...I can talk and so can any of my Husker fans. We absolutely BLASTED Minnesota this past season and the game wasn’t even close. Again I don’t give a flying F what Minnesota did against what ever team, none of that makes a difference at all. You still got Biotch slapped by Frost and Martinez all over the field. So until you guys right that ship (WIN)...the Huskers are the ones that can talk. It’s you and your team that should stfu until Minnesota beats us next.

What your doing now, It would be like us Huskers running to the Michigan board and talking crap and telling Michigan fans the shut up and take into count we had a hurt Martinez and that Michigan caught my Huskers early before got our game going. And then we almost beat OSU and barely lost by what...5 points (while OSU blown Michigan out of the waters in their game).It doesn’t mean jack....it would absolutely sound STUPID for Husker fans to do that after being blown out. Hopefully this helps you get the hint.

Last edited:
Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
I think people are getting way too ahead of themselves.

I think we’ll go 8-4 & I’ll be happy with that.

Losses to Iowa & Oh St. And losses to 2 of 3 between Col, Wis, & NW.

2021 is our big breakout year imo.

+1. I don't know where 10-2 or 11-1 are coming from. D is suspect until proven otherwise and will likely cost us 2 games alone. WR depth is very shallow. We have some depth at RB, but having Washington would make me feel much better.

+1. I don't know where 10-2 or 11-1 are coming from. D is suspect until proven otherwise and will likely cost us 2 games alone. WR depth is very shallow. We have some depth at RB, but having Washington would make me feel much better.

Possibly because early lines have us favored in every single game except OSU. Our Secondary is going to be quite good, and our thin LB corp should be fine if the DLine is as advertised. If the Line gets pushed around like last year, then "yes," 4 losses is likely.

We won’t lose to Iowa, believe that. They had a lot better team last year then they will this year (even more so on offense) and they BARELY squeaked out a win in Iowa City with a last second FG and that was year 1 for us with a true freshman QB. Our Husker team this year will be better then last year and we get them at home...Iowa takes a step backwards...Huskers take a step forward...Iowa barely beat us with their better team in Iowa City with a last second FG...that doesn’t spell lose in my book.

Reactions: hzzz
Yeah.... We are aren't losing to Colorado.

Agreed there and I’ll throw in Iowa for you too. Those two teams will NOT beat us this season. They have been dogging on our Huskers all off season long and it has given them a major fire in the bellies to win. You should hear (actually I’m sure you have) how Mo Barry sounded about the Iowa game and how badly the team wants to beat them. We won’t lose to Iowa nor Colorado Fluffs. Won’t happen!!!

Last edited:
Iowa couldnt stop us, let us tie the game, first step was the td, second was the 2 pt conversion.
That cant be a great feeling for their defense,as the offense had to win the game.
We start of slightly better this year until we start rolling, the beefaloes will get the transition of the Huskers in that game.
After that, its all polishing with some experimentation of players. We will be ready.

How many quarterbacks capable of A. Martinez’s skill set (mobile) did you face with your renounced D Coordinator?

I wouldn't say there is a game we can't win. I haven't thought that for years. Ohio St will of course be tough, but it is in Lincoln and will probably be a night game. I wan't to say we have only lost 4 night games in Lincoln ever. If we can beat them, all other we should be the favorite.
OSU is the one B1G team that almost everyone in the country is scratching their heads over. New coach and new QB raises questions but man, the rest of their roster is absolutely LOADED. If you go by recruiting rankings, by far the most talented in the B1G. But, the HC and QB are the two most important people on the FB team so who knows ? They could win the B1G and play for a NC or flop. Well, flopping for them is losing 3 games so..... They'll be good but just how good ?

Reactions: husker2612
Not sure I agree with you this time Beav. We hardly “throttled” Minnesota last year. We built a solid lead only to let them come back. A couple of breaks go their way in the second half and they may have won. Our defense in that game, as it was for most of the year, was shit.
If we don’t improve on defense there is no way we go 10-2. No way. Will we improve? I think so. But how much is the question.

Yep. How much our defense will improve? Who knows.......

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
A couple breaks go our way against minny, we would have had 70

Man you are quickly becoming the what if guy..... Everyone can play that game, if a break goes Minnesota's way, if they don't give up the quick scoring drive after getting within six, or if they get it on 4th and goal from the 3.

They didn't get those breaks, we didn't put up 70.

Man you are quickly becoming the what if guy..... Everyone can play that game, if a break goes Minnesota's way, if they don't give up the quick scoring drive after getting within six, or if they get it on 4th and goal from the 3.

They didn't get those breaks, we didn't put up 70.
Well, I was actually continuing on a theme.
If minny had done this etc.
So, I guess only some can play?

We won by 25, it was close only once, its why they play the games.
Some dont like our defense, but scoreboard by 25 is still 25, and playing what if for minny, it would have taken alot of what ifs.

Reactions: SkerInCo
Agreed there and I’ll throw in Iowa for you too. Those two teams will NOT beat us this season. They have been dogging on our Huskers all off season long and it has given them a major fire in the bellies to win. You should hear (actually I’m sure you have) how Mo Barry sounded about the Iowa game and how badly the team wants to beat them. We won’t lose to Iowa nor Colorado Fluffs. Won’t happen!!!

Iowa can still beat us. I hope you're right that we don't lose, but they will have an awfully good D.

In every season since 2014 and the advent of the CFP, with the exception of the 2016 season, when Clemson won the title, the team with the higher rated total defense won the National Title game.

2014 Ohio St - 19 vs Oregon - 89 - (Alabama - 12 and Florida St - 63)
2015 Alabama - 3 vs Clemson - 10 (Michigan St - 26 and Oklahama - 39)
2016 Clemson - 8 vs Alabama - 1 (Ohio St - 6 and Washington - 7)
2017 Alabama - 1 vs Georgia - 6 (Oklahoma - 67 and Clemson -4)
2018 Clemson - 5 vs Alabama - 16 (Oklahoma - 114 and Notre Dame - 30)

In only 3 of the semi final matchups, has the team with the worse defense won the game, both semis in 2014 and Ohio St over Clemson in 2016.

The average ranking of the national champ is 7.2 and that is skewed by Ohio St's ranking of 19. The average ranking of the runner up is 24.4, again skewed by Oregon's 89. The average rank of all 20 teams that have played in the CFP is 26.3, if you take out the bigges outliers, Oregon 89 and Oklahoma 114, the average drops all the way to 17.9.

As I have said before, offense matters, but when you look at Oklahoma and Oregon, Oklahoma has failed to make it out of the semis and Oregon was lucky enough to play another team with a below average defense in the semis and was then beaten by 3 TDs in the final.

Defense still wins titles.

In every season since 2014 and the advent of the CFP, with the exception of the 2016 season, when Clemson won the title, the team with the higher rated total defense won the National Title game.

2014 Ohio St - 19 vs Oregon - 89 - (Alabama - 12 and Florida St - 63)
2015 Alabama - 3 vs Clemson - 10 (Michigan St - 26 and Oklahama - 39)
2016 Clemson - 8 vs Alabama - 1 (Ohio St - 6 and Washington - 7)
2017 Alabama - 1 vs Georgia - 6 (Oklahoma - 67 and Clemson -4)
2018 Clemson - 5 vs Alabama - 16 (Oklahoma - 114 and Notre Dame - 30)

In only 3 of the semi final matchups, has the team with the worse defense won the game, both semis in 2014 and Ohio St over Clemson in 2016.

The average ranking of the national champ is 7.2 and that is skewed by Ohio St's ranking of 19. The average ranking of the runner up is 24.4, again skewed by Oregon's 89. The average rank of all 20 teams that have played in the CFP is 26.3, if you take out the bigges outliers, Oregon 89 and Oklahoma 114, the average drops all the way to 17.9.

As I have said before, offense matters, but when you look at Oklahoma and Oregon, Oklahoma has failed to make it out of the semis and Oregon was lucky enough to play another team with a below average defense in the semis and was then beaten by 3 TDs in the final.

Defense still wins titles.
So, what was their offenses rated?
And, were teams that were imbalanced, a real highly ranked defense with a lower ranked offense, and vice versa, how did those teams fare?
As time goes by, the defensive stats lost their weight,while offensive stats gain in theirs.
Now, since the advent of the rule changes, there are several exceptions,as you noted, but go back further, where many draw their conceptions of how defenses should perform, and those exceptions dry up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT