ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Article - Tampering

TheBeav815

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Feb 19, 2007
Chicago Suburbs
"If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying."

Interesting article about tampering and the transfer portal.

This is what coaches are up against not just with recruiting high school kids but continuing to recruit their own guys who are already on the roster.

What I hear is a bunch of people who make a lot of money upset that players have the same options to better themselves that every other adult in America gets.
This take is so stale and old.
So you think Frost can just up and leave? Right. At how many millions.
while clowns like you want to teach kids zero accountability.

Maybe when a kid transfers the school he moves to should pay back the original school tuition and other costs.

What I hear is a bunch of people who make a lot of money upset that players have the same options to better themselves that every other adult in America gets.
We can agree that sports operate differently than the a large majority of the free enterprise, but there are reasons these rules are put in place. Even in professional sports, there are motives to keep a semblance of balance in the game. That's why there are league offices and rules.

Should a kid be able to talk to whomever he or she wants to and switch to play for another school? In principle, sure. But we have rules for competitive balance and to keep fan interest high. There are also some strange anti-monopoly laws in place that also go against the spirit of a true capitalistic society because there are negative consequences without them.

Reactions: huntered

Maybe when a kid transfers the school he moves to should pay back the original school tuition and other costs.
does your letterman's sweater still fit?

talk about old and stale

Reactions: mgbreis and jmliehr

This is what coaches are up against not just with recruiting high school kids but continuing to recruit their own guys who are already on the roster.

No problem with it as long as schools can drop a player at any time as well

Reactions: sidewood and Swiv3D
Common sense has slowly left America...

If your coach leaves - you can transfer and not sit. Otherwise you can transfer whenever you want BUT have to sit a year. Tell me why this doesn't make the most sense?

I wish our coaches would cheat and start paying high 4* and 5* talent to come here.
Well the coaches can't pay them, you need bag men for that. Which is its own fascinating article.

But frankly yes, NU should be doing the things that the other elite recruiters are doing to land elite recruits.

Yes, Frost can up and leave anytime he wants. If you haven’t noticed, it happens in the coaching world pretty frequently.

We can agree that sports operate differently than the a large majority of the free enterprise, but there are reasons these rules are put in place. Even in professional sports, there are motives to keep a semblance of balance in the game. That's why there are league offices and rules.

Should a kid be able to talk to whomever he or she wants to and switch to play for another school? In principle, sure. But we have rules for competitive balance and to keep fan interest high. There are also some strange anti-monopoly laws in place that also go against the spirit of a true capitalistic society because there are negative consequences without them.
there really are no rules for competitive balance. thats why there is no competitive balance.

$EC and OU complete dirtbags

seems like a one year set out for all cases except when a head coach leaves then an immediate eligibility transfer. all cases all the time. commitment and free credit hours

CckL1x0UYAE3vOR.jpg

I know that someday there will be a coach/recruit that really spills the beans and it will BLOW MINDS.

The cheating that us fans will finally get to hear about will be awesome.

I know that someday there will be a coach/recruit that really spills the beans and it will BLOW MINDS.

The cheating that us fans will finally get to hear about will be awesome.
Actually, that happened within the past couple of years. If you get the chance, dig up the NCAA infractions report pertaining to Hugh Freeze's program at Ole Miss. A kid named Leo Lewis came clean and it startling, even for the SEC. Very entertaining reading

Jokes aside, that seems to be the case. Or there isn't enough to go beyond a few target positions. Can get an elite guy here and there but not an elite class.
Some of these guys with reputations of being great or bad recruiters. How much of it is tied to bagmen? There was another great article about bagmen a few years ago that was an eye-opener. DONU needs to quit with this $hit, with bags stuffed with Runzas, Valentino's and suggested reading textbooks. I'm also guessing their bagmen do $20 handshakes and $18 Boston Market gift cards. I think Bo knew what happened a few years ago with Stringfellow, and that's why he got so publicly pissed.

Some of these guys with reputations of being great or bad recruiters. How much of it is tied to bagmen? There was another great article about bagmen a few years ago that was an eye-opener. DONU needs to quit with this $hit, with bags stuffed with Runzas, Valentino's and suggested reading textbooks. I'm also guessing their bagmen do $20 handshakes and $18 Boston Market gift cards. I think Bo knew what happened a few years ago with Stringfellow, and that's why he got so publicly pissed.
It happens everywhere. Not every recruit is expecting or accepting "impermissible benefits" as a condition of signing. But lots of them are and anyone who doesn't know that was born yesterday.

Most former players/recruits aren't going to just divulge the details to anyone who asks but it's easy to get them to confirm that it does happen and they've seen it. They're not going to tell you what was offered to them and what they took, but they'll give a response like, "Are you stupid? Of COURSE it's going on everywhere."

It happens everywhere. Not every recruit is expecting or accepting "impermissible benefits" as a condition of signing. But lots of them are and anyone who doesn't know that was born yesterday.

Most former players/recruits aren't going to just divulge the details to anyone who asks but it's easy to get them to confirm that it does happen and they've seen it. They're not going to tell you what was offered to them and what they took, but they'll give a response like, "Are you stupid? Of COURSE it's going on everywhere."
For sure and in a lot of different forms.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT