ADVERTISEMENT

Erik Swenson de-commits from Michigan

Have we offered the kid? Obviously we must have and it just isn't updated on 247 or Rivals...

He says he reopened his recruitment due to unforeseen circumstances. Did Michigan pull their offer?

He committed in November of 2013 o_O

"In a text message to MLive, the four-star offensive tackle said Michigan recently pulled its scholarship offer and canceled his previously-scheduled official visit. He said the program did not provide a reason for doing so. He declined to speak further on the matter at this time."

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2016/01/erik_swenson_decommits_from_mi.html

Also, he and Mike Riley are following each other on twitter SmokinSmokin

Reactions: iROOT4nu
He has been committed to Michigan since November 2013. Recruiting can be ruthless sometimes.

Well Sammy Mckewon is on local radio right now. He says this kid and Farniok are not very impressive.

Pump the brakes on the hate train. One side of the story is not the whole story. We have no idea why this was done.

Are kids who change their mind at the 11th hour and commit to us POS as well?
I hear what you're saying but for whatever reason it is more acceptable for a kid to change his mind, even this late in the game, than it is for a coaching staff to change their minds this late in the game. Double standard? Sure... But that's how it is.

I hear what you're saying but for whatever reason it is more acceptable for a kid to change his mind, even this late in the game, than it is for a coaching staff to change their minds this late in the game. Double standard? Sure... But that's how it is.
Not that this is right, however the Coaching staff has a much more advantageous position than any recruit can possibly dream of. IE a staff of maybe 20 to constantly look for and evaluate talent.

Reactions: Crushinator
Not that this is right, however the Coaching staff has a much more advantageous position than any recruit can possibly dream of. IE a staff of maybe 20 to constantly look for and evaluate talent.
I hear ya. I'm not too worried about Swenson as he will easily land on his feet elsewhere. But what about the guy who is a tweener and doesn't have many options? That's when the coaches really deserve the flack they might receive.

Reactions: CrashPad
I hear ya. I'm not too worried about Swenson as he will easily land on his feet elsewhere. But what about the guy who is a tweener and doesn't have many options? That's when the coaches really deserve the flack they might receive.

Then he should have had a better senior year so he has more options.

I don't like when this stuff happens, but this is how the real world works and you can't put a safety net under everyone. Both recruits AND coaches benefit from football and you're going to get this stuff in real world big time money scenario's. What if said "tweener" had a great last couple games his senior season and takes what would have been a home run recruit away from say....Toledo, and is talked into going to (insert big time program here) then everyone on the Toledo staff just got hosed and maybe they don't get as far professionally or even fired because they didn't win enough games? My point is both sides do this stuff, if you don't like it, don't play sports. Wrap yourself in bubble wrap and stay in the basement. ORRRRR, accept that you're a piece of meat that is going to be used for profit, and make the most of it and use them for your benefit as well.

Then he should have had a better senior year so he has more options.

I don't like when this stuff happens, but this is how the real world works and you can't put a safety net under everyone. Both recruits AND coaches benefit from football and you're going to get this stuff in real world big time money scenario's. What if said "tweener" had a great last couple games his senior season and takes what would have been a home run recruit away from say....Toledo, and is talked into going to (insert big time program here) then everyone on the Toledo staff just got hosed and maybe they don't get as far professionally or even fired because they didn't win enough games? My point is both sides do this stuff, if you don't like it, don't play sports. Wrap yourself in bubble wrap and stay in the basement. ORRRRR, accept that you're a piece of meat that is going to be used for profit, and make the most of it and use them for your benefit as well.
I'm not arguing, you're absolutely right. It just feels icky for whatever reason. My guess is due to the amount of time this kid was committed, two years, and then to have his Schollie pulled. It just feels hokey to be told for two years you're playing for us you're playing for us you're playing for us, and then to say sorry we don't have room for you. But, that is the nature of the game.

I'm not arguing, you're absolutely right. It just feels icky for whatever reason. My guess is due to the amount of time this kid was committed, two years, and then to have his Schollie pulled. It just feels hokey to be told for two years you're playing for us you're playing for us you're playing for us, and then to say sorry we don't have room for you. But, that is the nature of the game.

It is icky, in fact it downright freaking sucks and if I were that kids dad I'd be really disappointed and would always hold a grudge against Hargod and would wish ill things on him. Just so we're clear on that.

Reactions: timnsun
Kicked to the curb after being committed for more than 2 years? Wow. Wonder if Harbaugh talks about that possibility during his sleepovers.
this isnt something new. the mods on the michigan board knew a month ago. the michigan coaches have also been contacting other schools for him to help him find the best place for him

this isnt something new. the mods on the michigan board knew a month ago. the michigan coaches have also been contacting other schools for him to help him find the best place for him
Hey man... long time no see!

Tough spot for the player. As a fan, I don't know that you can look at it UNLESS you're willing to forever remove situational ethics.

If this were happening at NU, what would you say?

I don't know what the UM coaches have been telling the recruit, but if they've been stringing him along, then it's pretty crappy, greasy.

I don't get some of the talk here. Many here want our coaches to tell upperclassmen who may not contribute significantly to move on. These are kids who gave a bunch to the program but just didn't cut it. This seems far worse to me than telling someone who who thought you might have room for that you don't have a spot for him.

Reactions: jeans15
I don't get some of the talk here. Many here want our coaches to tell upperclassmen who may not contribute significantly to move on. These are kids who gave a bunch to the program but just didn't cut it. This seems far worse to me than telling someone who who thought you might have room for that you don't have a spot for him.

and if hargod did tell this kid a while ago, and if he did attempt to help him find a soft spot to land, I have zero issues with any of this.

When he was originally recruited during Hokes tenure he was a Top5 offensive lineman prospect, today he is not in the Top30.

This was from a post on MGOBLOG.COM concerning Swenson from someone supposedly "in the know":

"He said the coaches meticulously laid out who his competition would be, and explained to him that they weren't done recruiting the position yet. Harbaugh also told him that his scholarship to one of the best academic institutes was absolutely still available to him, but he would need to work his ass off to see any playing time. Said recruit has decided that while academics are important, playing football is his true passion and wants to see the field sooner than later. He would rather fine tune his game on the field and get better."

Harbaugh is recruiting hard and upgrading the talent.

If the above is accurate then perhaps the competition was looking a bit too tough for the kid and he bailed...with scholarship still in hand.

I think Harbaugh did the kid a solid but don't let that dampen your SOUL SEARING OUTRAGE!!!! at Harbaugh as he did have a bad interview.

Go Blue!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT