ADVERTISEMENT

ERA? How about total runs allowed per game?

k9_r

Offensive Coordinator
Jul 31, 2010
Apparently this is not an official NCAA stat. But, by cruising the ERA leader's chart and calculating runs/game, I find...

TEAM.... GAMES...... RUNS... R/GM.... ERs
Nebraska.. 28............ 69...... 2.46....... 67 (10th ERA) (Just 2 U/RUNS - none better)
TCU.......... 25............ 64...... 2.56....... 45 (1st ERA)
A&M......... 29............. 78...... 2.69....... 57 (2nd ERA)
Memphis... 23............ 66...... 2.87....... 55 (12th ERA)
Iowa........ 23............ 67...... 2.91....... 54 (9th ERA)

These numbers are thru last weekend's games. After yesterday's game we're down to 2.41 runs/game. Every other team in the NCAA chart has surrendered 70 or more runs in equal or fewer games than us. Most of them, by far, have surrendered 80+ runs.

So...., we're number one in fewest runs surrendered per game.

BTW, the other ERA leaders have surrendered tons of unearned runs.
TCU (1st ERA) - 19 unearned runs
A&M (2nd) - 21
Santa Barbara (3rd) - 25
Nicholls St (4th) - 28
CSNU (5th) - 21
UCLA (6th) - 20
Tulane (7th) - 26
UCONN (8th) - 25
Iowa (9th) - 13

This post was edited on 4/1 1:49 PM by k9_r

That stat tells you all you need to know about how good we are. It's not like we've played the little sisters of the poor all year... well except for northern colorado.

That's pretty incredible actually. It speaks to not only our pitching, but our DEFENSE. That's just seriously impressive.

That's some awesome research, thanks for sharing. Another stat I noticed is our outfielders as a whole have ZERO errors on the year. That includes starters plus guys like Meyers who've played out there on a very limited basis.

That really is the bottom line, isn't it? All runs count, earned or unearned. The Skers not only have dynamite pitching but also great D behind them.

Originally posted by sklarbodds:
That's pretty incredible actually. It speaks to not only our pitching, but our DEFENSE[/B]. That's just seriously impressive.
So, a week ago when we had surrendered just a single unearned run, I called the radio program and talked to DE. I brought this up and congratulated him on that terrific number. Mentioned how that must be a point of emphasis with his team. How the guys must be knuckling down when an error puts a runner on.

He went off on that in a very proud voice. Said they have a drill for those times. Man on by error and he calls out from the dugout a key word.

Couldn't actually tell what he said. Might have been "Compound!" meaning don't compound the error. To me, it sounded like he said "Cow Pound!". Kinda hope it was Cow Pound. Very cool.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

I wonder how accurate the official scoring is for some of those other teams - really low ERAs and a lot of unearned runs. It could be friendly home cooking for pitchers too. Love digging into to it though. The pitching staff has been lights out this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT