ADVERTISEMENT

Epenesa going pro

Seriously, you need to understand how you come across. You are happy to see top Iowa players leave so the Huskers will have a chance to finally win against them. That is what is pathetic. I want the Huskers to get better and destroy the opposition when it is at its best, no excuses, no prisoners, just kick butt. So far, that has not happened. I could care less if Iowa people come on this board, I ignore them, don't feed them and they will leave.
Thing is, we know how this works, we've been there done that, not even that long ago.
I totally agree with you, but I think whats being said is, this is iowas pinnacle of excellence, and as said, we know what it takes to beat this level of play, wee had it many times before.
I did however point out not that we know,because of our past, but that there will be no replacement, no plug in player.
So, yes, iowa fan comes in thumping his pig filled chest, but wilts in the reality, it's never been this good before, and wont be maintained reality,of which I kindly remind them.

Reactions: huskerssalts
Thing is, we know how this works, we've been there done that, not even that long ago.
I totally agree with you, but I think whats being said is, this is iowas pinnacle of excellence, and as said, we know what it takes to beat this level of play, wee had it many times before.
I did however point out not that we know,because of our past, but that there will be no replacement, no plug in player.
So, yes, iowa fan comes in thumping his pig filled chest, but wilts in the reality, it's never been this good before, and wont be maintained reality,of which I kindly remind them.

now you are speaking my language. Iowa hasn’t had this type of run in a while. You go back and look at their records the past 10 years, they average 7-8 wins a year. This past couple years due to having Two 1st round TEs, and NFL caliber QB, two potential first round OTs, AJ Epenesa (which I don’t see them replacing) and a number of great defensive players. Most of those guys will gone after this draft class. I see Iowa dropping back down to their 7-8 win runs like they were at before. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
now you are speaking my language. Iowa hasn’t had this type of run in a while. You go back and look at their records the past 10 years, they average 7-8 wins a year. This past couple years due to having Two 1st round TEs, and NFL caliber QB, two potential first round OTs, AJ Epenesa (which I don’t see them replacing) and a number of great defensive players. Most of those guys will gone after this draft class. I see Iowa dropping back down to there 7-8 win runs like they were at before. Just my opinion.

Even with players leaving early Iowa is still an early top 10 pick by some.

Even with players leaving early Iowa is still an early top 10 pick by some.
I have not seen a SINGLE place where Iowa is a top 10 pick... I have seen top 25, and I may be off a spot or two but if I recall the highest I have seen them as of yet is top 15... and on a side note which will end up shooting my huskers in the foot, but we were picked as a Top 25 team in preseason polls last year as well... look how well that played out for us... preseason polls mean absolutely nothing... it’s all speculation especially this early in the game

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerssalts
How many 'skers are leaving early for the draft lol

someone doesn’t pay attention to Husker football at all, do we??? Husker return every starting offensive player on our team minus K Noa (one senior WR).. And the few guys we do lose on defense, there are few of them that have a chance of being drafted. Lamar Jackson is a guarantee draft pick, Darrion Daniels is probably a 5th-7th rounder and Khalil Davis about the same. Mo Berry and C Davis will both probably get free agent shots. No worries, the Huskers will have 1-3 draft picks this year. Maybe do some research before popping off. And you want to know the funny part...even with the Huskers lack of NFL draft picks, Iowa only leads the Huskers by a couple more NFL players. The two teams are close in total number of players in the league...weird isn’t?

Last edited:
even if they do, they won’t stay there long. I don’t see Iowa being as solid as they have been the past several years. They lose a bunch of talent the past couple years and Tom this offseason and they aren’t only losing Nate Stanley, they are also losing their back up QB Peyton Mansell to the Transfer Portal....Iowa is about to take a big step backwards....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ha...-qb-peyton-mansell-enters-transfer-portal/amp
I actually hate seeing them lose all these kids... I guess I fall under the crowd of I’d much rather beat them while they have these types of players there... I mean don’t get me wrong I will definitely take joy in just beating them no matter when, but I feel that if we beat them while they’re down they’re still going to bombard our forum trying to thump their chest saying how it was a down year or a rebuild year.. it’s been truly unfortunate that we can’t get both teams when they are peaking to face off they have definitely got the better of us the last few years and took advantage of some historically crappy NU teams, but I am with you here, I see a few step backwards in their future and let’s just hope we take advantage of their crappy teams

I actually hate seeing them lose all these kids... I guess I fall under the crowd of I’d much rather beat them while they have these types of players there... I mean don’t get me wrong I will definitely take joy in just beating them no matter when, but I feel that if we beat them while they’re down they’re still going to bombard our forum trying to thump their chest saying how it was a down year or a rebuild year.. it’s been truly unfortunate that we can’t get both teams when they are peaking to face off they have definitely got the better of us the last few years and took advantage of some historically crappy NU teams, but I am with you here, I see a few step backwards in their future and let’s just hope we take advantage of their crappy teams

i actually get what you mean. We have taken the games to the wire with them having all that talent. I can only imagine how it’s going to be with them breaking in a young, inexperienced QB, new guys on the Oline and Dline, top LBs gone, their best 2 DBs gone, their main pass rushing DE AJ Epenesa gone and several others gone. I do agree, I’d much rather beat them with all that talent. Not after they lose them all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clemke32
I can't believe no Iowa fans want to have an honest conversation about the frustrations of being an Iowa fan. And that's me quoting me.

Alright, I’ll bite. Simply because you quoted yourself, lol.

Why in the ****ing world would I have blue balls over a ****ing game? You serious bro? Have we had some frustrations over the years? Sure. Some missed opportunities without a doubt. However, Iowa has been incredibly fortunate to have 2 coaches in fry and ferentz over 40 years run this program with incredible integrity, toughness, honesty and not willing to sacrifice those morals to win at all cost. A winning program with class and integrity? Sign me up.

one last thing. Honestly, I feel the best is yet to come from coach ferentz. Recruiting is up a bit and Iowa has shown they can develop talent. I am optimistic about Iowa’s future right now.

What punch ? Am a life long Husker but their program is in a better place currently. Should change but they have scoreboard on us now
Iowa goes on about how they're recruiting better, and, they are. But, what iowa doesn't understand is, a higher rated guy is just slightly better than one rated slightly lower to make the team, when you're getting excellent developement, which they have been getting. The real trick is to develop those higher rated players, which is a whole new dynamic, and often it only means they are closer to their ceiling in abilities coming in, so, in reality, guys leaving early, mixed with guys more ready is only maintaining themselves.

However, we currently have 40 redshirt or true freshmen, numbers higher than iowa has seen, with around 6 of them with potential elite class play, I'll put those numbers up against any team playing, it's that good overall.

Iowa fan is all giddy by having one decent skill set player on offense, with a potentially decent rb. However, losing wirfs , there's no guarantee to get the same level of play, Stone, same, and in Epenesa, they haven't had that level of play, and may not again for a long long time.

So, while iowa is purring along getting close to maintaining their current production, they are slipping back,it's inevitable,not by huge amounts, but noticeable. So, with a new qb,they won't be as good next year,their new qb is less mobile, not the same arm strength,and lacking in experience.
So, having that new shiny toy at wr wont benefit them nearly as much as their rb, who is good, but they have to replace a bit on their line, another scratch, except at qb, where they slide backwards.

We on the other hand, leap forwards in depth and talent, coming into a team that barely has lost to iowa but in the last seconds the last two years. I believe their time is up, as we start wearing on them in numbers,in talent, and finally a tiny bit of our explosiveness will be seen, something not seen our last two games, it'll finally be too much,because this is a new staff, a new team, those beat downs are long gone, and now we are finally getting to where we will end up being in our roster and talent, just too much for steady iowa.

So, while iowa is purring along getting close to maintaining their current production, they are slipping back,it's inevitable,not by huge amounts, but noticeable. So, with a new qb,they won't be as good next year,their new qb is less mobile, not the same arm strength,and lacking in experience.

2017 Iowa goes 8-5, finishes the season unranked, and signs Rivals' #40 class.

2018 Iowa goes 9-4, finishes the season #25, and signs Rivals' #41 class. 4 underclassman left for the NFL (2 TEs, 1 DE, 1 safety)

2019 Iowa goes 10-3, finishes #15, and signs Rival's current #31 class.

Not sure I where this "slipping back" is happening, but I guess we'll see.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bonerfarts
Alright, I’ll bite. Simply because you quoted yourself, lol.

Why in the ****ing world would I have blue balls over a ****ing game? You serious bro? Have we had some frustrations over the years? Sure. Some missed opportunities without a doubt. However, Iowa has been incredibly fortunate to have 2 coaches in fry and ferentz over 40 years run this program with incredible integrity, toughness, honesty and not willing to sacrifice those morals to win at all cost. A winning program with class and integrity? Sign me up.

one last thing. Honestly, I feel the best is yet to come from coach ferentz. Recruiting is up a bit and Iowa has shown they can develop talent. I am optimistic about Iowa’s future right now.
Good post! I'm conflicted because I could easily convince myself that you might be right that Ferentz's best is yet to come. But, he's got a long track record that honestly make me doubt it. One thing is for sure, anyone thinking that Iowa will be "down" next year is confused. The same long track record makes me also doubt that.

2018 Iowa goes 9-4, finishes the season #25, and signs Rivals' #41 class.

Have you guys gotten so used to having forever coaching you lose sight that players change, and in doing so, experience changes as well, unlike your coaches?
And cherry picking my post wont change losing out on Epenesa, wheres that equivalent?
And, who steps right in and equalds wirfs production?
Time to face it, it wont get better, as much as you hated Stanleys overthrows

Good post! I'm conflicted because I could easily convince myself that you might be right that Ferentz's best is yet to come. But, he's got a long track record that honestly make me doubt it. One thing is for sure, anyone thinking that Iowa will be "down" next year is confused. The same long track record makes me also doubt that.
I guess it depends how you define "down", because that track record would indicate that this year was up and back to 7 to 8 wins is very likely. In his 21 seasons, they have won 8 or less 13 times.

Reactions: mgbreis
They also had Cincinnati at number 16.
do you happen to have a link to said poll? Just wanting to see who published it I just haven't seen any poll where they’ve been higher then 15... typically I have seen them anywhere between 18-21... which seems like a logical place for them after the year they had and how they seem to be pretty consistent...

Im an Iowa fan and was all for Epenesa and Wirfs to go get paid. Both will be first round pick for sure so go get that money while your body lets you. We will miss both of them next year but they do have some guys that they like behind them.

Big news was getting Jackson to come back as he could have gone early as well. Iowa should have a lot of good pieces - will probably come down to QB play and schedule. We get Ohio St., Penn St., and Michigan St. as our crossovers. I have seen Iowa in some preseason rankings from 10th - 23rd so they will be in the mix.

do you happen to have a link to said poll? Just wanting to see who published it I just haven't seen any poll where they’ve been higher then 15... typically I have seen them anywhere between 18-21... which seems like a logical place for them after the year they had and how they seem to be pretty consistent...
USA Today - The Way Too Early College Football Top 25 For 2020 google it. Iowa is rated#10

Reactions: phoenix4nu
Im an Iowa fan and was all for Epenesa and Wirfs to go get paid. Both will be first round pick for sure so go get that money while your body lets you. We will miss both of them next year but they do have some guys that they like behind them.

Big news was getting Jackson to come back as he could have gone early as well. Iowa should have a lot of good pieces - will probably come down to QB play and schedule. We get Ohio St., Penn St., and Michigan St. as our crossovers. I have seen Iowa in some preseason rankings from 10th - 23rd so they will be in the mix.
Good post, maybe the most reasonable post I’ve ever read from an Iowa fan. Most of your fan base is expecting the QB position to pick up where Stanley left off or actually improve, it rarely works out that a QB who has never started comes in and makes a huge impact their first season. I like the running back from Georgia, but he seems injury prone.

If I based my fandom on five seasons of success I’d be worried about the state of Iowa and Nebraska football, but I don’t, so I’m not.

Good post, maybe the most reasonable post I’ve ever read from an Iowa fan. Most of your fan base is expecting the QB position to pick up where Stanley left off or actually improve, it rarely works out that a QB who has never started comes in and makes a huge impact their first season. I like the running back from Georgia, but he seems injury prone.

If I based my fandom on five seasons of success I’d be worried about the state of Iowa and Nebraska football, but I don’t, so I’m not.

the will likely struggle having to replace Stanley for the season ... however in the Nebraska game specifically, I suspect they will have upgraded QB play.

Iowa won with an 11/24 - 99 yard plus a pick 6 performance from Stanley.

I think he'll really blossom with better coaching and schemes. Ferentz seems to take pleasure in making his most talented players plod through their college careers.

I'd guess the 28 former Hawkeye players in the NFL, both first round draft picks last year and both first round draft picks this year would disagree with you.

How have those great UN recruiting classes done in the draft lately?

I'd guess the 28 former Hawkeye players in the NFL, both first round draft picks last year and both first round draft picks this year would disagree with you.

none of them are draft-eligible yet.

check out the big brain on this iowa fan LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

http://www.winsipedia.com/ranking/nfl-draft-picks
NFL DRAFT PICKS

they won’t replace AJ Epenesa. He’s their Suh to us. I can see them bring other guys in for Nate Stanley and those guys and keeping it close but AJ Epenesa isn’t going to be replaced. No way no how.

This is correct. Iowa fan here, and Iowa will not just plug in a guy who will be anywhere as close to as good as AJE. Teams not named Alabama, Clemson or OSU don't have 5-star, first round talent waiting to take over. They just don't. And even at that, few of those talents are the caliber of Epenesa. He got better and better as the year went on, when he was already very good.
It doesn't mean the Iowa defense won't be good. The d-coordinator had good defense before Epenesa got to Iowa. But Epenesa's absence will be noticeable.

This is correct. Iowa fan here, and Iowa will not just plug in a guy who will be anywhere as close to as good as AJE. Teams not named Alabama, Clemson or OSU don't have 5-star, first round talent waiting to take over. They just don't. And even at that, few of those talents are the caliber of Epenesa. He got better and better as the year went on, when he was already very good.
It doesn't mean the Iowa defense won't be good. The d-coordinator had good defense before Epenesa got to Iowa. But Epenesa's absence will be noticeable.
Good take.

I actually hate seeing them lose all these kids... I guess I fall under the crowd of I’d much rather beat them while they have these types of players there... I mean don’t get me wrong I will definitely take joy in just beating them no matter when, but I feel that if we beat them while they’re down they’re still going to bombard our forum trying to thump their chest saying how it was a down year or a rebuild year.. it’s been truly unfortunate that we can’t get both teams when they are peaking to face off they have definitely got the better of us the last few years and took advantage of some historically crappy NU teams, but I am with you here, I see a few step backwar

You mean like many using this reason why we are getting beat by Iowa? Riley left nothing, we are young and we are a complete rebuild. There is never an end to this. Either you win or you don't. Over a period of time, everyone is up and down. Live with it, get better, coach better and work harder.

Agree with this. Our D-line has now lost 7, yes 7 starters the past two years. We do have some talent but can't replace a talent like Epenesa that demanded a double team. So guessing dline play will go from great to good. Also lose our starting middle linebacker (lead the team in tackles) and best safety and best cornerback. I think Parker will get us to a good defense but not like the past two years. The offense will have to at least be average to have a chance at 8 or more wins with the schedule we were dealt. Will actually be pleasantly surprised if winning 8 or more.

Agree with this. Our D-line has now lost 7, yes 7 starters the past two years. We do have some talent but can't replace a talent like Epenesa that demanded a double team. So guessing dline play will go from great to good. Also lose our starting middle linebacker (lead the team in tackles) and best safety and best cornerback. I think Parker will get us to a good defense but not like the past two years. The offense will have to at least be average to have a chance at 8 or more wins with the schedule we were dealt. Will actually be pleasantly surprised if winning 8 or more.
You guys will need a few to blow up, a little luck to maintain what you had.
Losing Miller doesn't help either.

2018 Iowa goes 9-4, finishes the season #25, and signs Rivals' #41 class. 4 underclassman left for the NFL (2 TEs, 1 DE, 1 safety)

wait, what...so Now rankings mean something. Tell that to NW when they lost their starting QB Thorston (or however you spell his name) after 3-4 years starting and then thought a 5 star QB would replace him. We all seen how that played out. I guess the Huskers are good to go. We got 3 QBs ranked in the Top 250 and one being a Top 100 QB.

Last edited:
Iowa goes on about how they're recruiting better, and, they are. But, what iowa doesn't understand is, a higher rated guy is just slightly better than one rated slightly lower to make the team, when you're getting excellent developement, which they have been getting. The real trick is to develop those higher rated players, which is a whole new dynamic, and often it only means they are closer to their ceiling in abilities coming in, so, in reality, guys leaving early, mixed with guys more ready is only maintaining themselves.

However, we currently have 40 redshirt or true freshmen, numbers higher than iowa has seen, with around 6 of them with potential elite class play, I'll put those numbers up against any team playing, it's that good overall.

Iowa fan is all giddy by having one decent skill set player on offense, with a potentially decent rb. However, losing wirfs , there's no guarantee to get the same level of play, Stone, same, and in Epenesa, they haven't had that level of play, and may not again for a long long time.

So, having that new shiny toy at wr wont benefit them nearly as much as their rb, who is good, but they have to replace a bit on their line, another scratch, except at qb, where they slide backwards.

We on the other hand, leap forwards in depth and talent, coming into a team that barely has lost to iowa but in the last seconds the last two years. I believe their time is up, as we start wearing on them in numbers,in talent, and finally a tiny bit of our explosiveness will be seen, something not seen our last two games, it'll finally be too much,because this is a new staff, a new team, those beat downs are long gone, and now we are finally getting to where we will end up being in our roster and talent, just too much for steady iowa.

I have no idea what you are trying to say. Maybe use a comma here and there to break up the rant.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT