ADVERTISEMENT

Elijah thomas to visit NE braska

Maybe we can get the reputation for being the place to transfer. He looks like just the kind of player we need!

Yes, this team needs more big men. The biggest problem in attracting a big man though is how we use them. How often do you see one of our perimeters make a decent pass into the low post? Once a game? And if the post shoots and misses, he may be pulled from the game by Miles.

I've also seen Hammond have to help on the drive and cause a missed layup, only to have the man he was guarding score off the rebound. Miles pulled Hammond and the local paper praised Miles for his "fire" (Miami game). Miles (and the naive reporter) apparently did not recognize the Husker who was beat on the drive or the teammate who failed to rotate down to block out Hammond's man.

This is the biggest issue for Miles in recruiting post players. Who wants to take the ball out of bounds, run down the court, screen on the ball, and never get the ball inside?

all good points but it's hard to have post game offense when you don't have any real good post guys. Its a circle that needs broken and we just need that one inside guy to show what we can do with a big guy. I was hoping Marrow Jr would give us that chance but his minutes are under 20 a game, so I'm not sure what's up....maybe Miles wants small, fast break type players instead of the power post up offense.

Yes, this team needs more big men. The biggest problem in attracting a big man though is how we use them. How often do you see one of our perimeters make a decent pass into the low post? Once a game? And if the post shoots and misses, he may be pulled from the game by Miles.

I've also seen Hammond have to help on the drive and cause a missed layup, only to have the man he was guarding score off the rebound. Miles pulled Hammond and the local paper praised Miles for his "fire" (Miami game). Miles (and the naive reporter) apparently did not recognize the Husker who was beat on the drive or the teammate who failed to rotate down to block out Hammond's man.

This is the biggest issue for Miles in recruiting post players. Who wants to take the ball out of bounds, run down the court, screen on the ball, and never get the ball inside?

You play to the strengths of your players. If you don't have post guys who can make post moves, then you play a different game. Miles had post guys on other teams, so I highly doubt we are not getting the big guys because of the style of our offense. The issue is that our big guys never seem to develop (Pitchford, Smith, Moses, Hammond, etc).

all good points but it's hard to have post game offense when you don't have any real good post guys. Its a circle that needs broken and we just need that one inside guy to show what we can do with a big guy. I was hoping Marrow Jr would give us that chance but his minutes are under 20 a game, so I'm not sure what's up....maybe Miles wants small, fast break type players instead of the power post up offense.
Morrow can be our low post scorer IF we play another big with him. Otherwise, Morrow is an undersized frosh trying to score against the other team's starting center. If Morrow could play with Hammond, maybe Hammond would draw the other team's best defender and Morrow could post up a 4 instead of a 5. I also think it's unrealistic to ask Morrow to play post defense since he is a novice at it at this point.

If we want to keep Morrow around next year, it might be a good idea to put him in a better position to succeed.

You play to the strengths of your players. If you don't have post guys who can make post moves, then you play a different game. Miles had post guys on other teams, so I highly doubt we are not getting the big guys because of the style of our offense. The issue is that our big guys never seem to develop (Pitchford, Smith, Moses, Hammond, etc).

It takes patience with most post players. Hammond actually could develop, but we're talking about year four and five. I liked Smith. Pitch never thought of himself as a low post and never developed as a low post-- although he did OK on the defensive end. And Moses had horrible footwork and bad hands-- so he was just a big body with some health issues.

You're right about playing to your strengths, but again... if you want to attract a really good post player, they aren't going to like what they see when they see what the posts are doing offensively.

And besides all of that, this offense is so easy to defend. Ball screens with ball handlers that don't look for the screener. Not much action off the ball unless its a set play. Why not run something with a post player to at least get some inside out action or some cutting off the post? Even if it were mildly effective, it would be about as good as what they already do.

it's all good points, we actually have good shooters now unlike in the recent past, White, Sheilds, Watson and even MCVeigh are all good shooters (White being the best) and next year we add Gill which could be better then White (shooting wise), we one good center or another big away from being loaded.

question for the basketball heads, our we hoping Robey will be the one who replaces White after next year, is he even close to the shooter White is or is he a completely different style of player?

question for the basketball heads, our we hoping Robey will be the one who replaces White after next year, is he even close to the shooter White is or is he a completely different style of player?
Robey is nothing like White as a shooter, or player. White is a great outside shooter and spends plenty of time in the weight room but is not a great athlete. Does not have "quick" feet and not a real "Leaper". Gets by on hard work, hustle, great outside shot and basketball smarts.

Robey is longer and leaner plus more athletic. Needs to fill out physically and add some bulk. But does have good athletic ability. I believe Robey has a chance to be a much better defender than White. Not likely to add enough mass to be a real physical force in the paint but due to length/jumping can rebound and block shots. Robey has a decent outside shot but White is a great outside shooter.

An amazing work ethic has gotten White to where he is and if you were able to combine that with Robey's athletic ability you would have one heck of a basketball player. White might be the hardest worker on the team, I know he was when he was at Kansas. Spent more time in the gym and weight room than any other player Self has ever coached there. KU Coaches loved him on and off the court and did not want to see him leave but he was behind more talented players.

Reactions: artguy68
Robey is nothing like White as a shooter, or player. White is a great outside shooter and spends plenty of time in the weight room but is not a great athlete. Does not have "quick" feet and not a real "Leaper". Gets by on hard work, hustle, great outside shot and basketball smarts.

Robey is longer and leaner plus more athletic. Needs to fill out physically and add some bulk. But does have good athletic ability. I believe Robey has a chance to be a much better defender than White. Not likely to add enough mass to be a real physical force in the paint but due to length/jumping can rebound and block shots. Robey has a decent outside shot but White is a great outside shooter.

An amazing work ethic has gotten White to where he is and if you were able to combine that with Robey's athletic ability you would have one heck of a basketball player. White might be the hardest worker on the team, I know he was when he was at Kansas. Spent more time in the gym and weight room than any other player Self has ever coached there. KU Coaches loved him on and off the court and did not want to see him leave but he was behind more talented players.
I've heard people around the program say that White is the nicest kid they have had there in quite awhile.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT