ADVERTISEMENT

Eligibility for players who opt out this season

Jhollenbeck41

Graduate Assistant
Nov 29, 2018
Question of opinions.....say a player opts out of this season voluntarily, but is too young to turn pro, but opts out over health concerns, whatever. NCAA ruling aside, do we think they should retain their year of eligibility and it basically be another form of a R/S? Or is sitting out basically skipping and you lose that year if you choose to?

I believe the season will be played. I believe that if a player decides to opt out and isn't old enough to declare yet, they should lose this season of eligibility. Everyone should be held accountable for their actions.

Thoughts?

Reactions: baseball31ne
That’s a tough one, but it gets messy to allow them an extra year.
I also think this season may change the dynamic of how teams use 4 game redshirt rule depending on how things unfold.

I would say a year with a pandemic would warrant some guys voluntarily missing out on a year of eligibility. As harsh as it is, the implications of extending eligibility may be far more problematic

I feel like this will probably impact eligibility the next 3-5 years with redshirts and what not. But I still think if players voluntarily opt out, and the season is played, they should lose that year. No one is forcing them to opt out unless it's clearly medical and there is evidence of it being medical. Then that's a different conversation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT