ADVERTISEMENT

EJ is 2 for 2

RedMyMind

Head Coach
Aug 22, 2017
He was the guy who sealed the deal last year vs Purdue

94zy96.gif

I agree, I admire rj but Emmett is way better he should get more pt
RJ is very respectable. But I imagine after today, the coaches might agree with us and emphasize him more every down role and keep feeding DD in power scheme/short yardage.

By far the best vision of our backs. I love Dowdells physicality but he just doesn’t see the holes well.

It’s been said his pass pro sucks which is what keeps him off the field. Even if that’s true, he gives you a threat that the other guys do not possess. Needs to be on the lead guy here on out

Reactions: BleedRed78
Exactly, after today he should be the starter. He is a more shiftier than Dowdell.
And he was a good back last year too. It is not as if his talent is unknown. I tell you, it is shit like this that makes you wonder why the coaches can’t see what is obvious to even armchair fans. It is f$cking infuriating. Dowdell is a bruiser. But when your offensive line is struggling you put in your best guy for juking and getting through narrow lanes. Guys who can make jump cuts.

He is. So why isn’t he the starter?
Rhule implied he would be a second half back because that's when he did well last year. Against CU and Illnois looks like he had a combined one carry (and the second half offense didn't look good in either). Maybe time to use him more as planned.

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedRed78
Lot of mouths to feed in the run game now that Barney is getting touches. Gabe can produce in short yardage, but he’s now a true reserve. I think we’ll see more EJ and less RJ (third down/special teams), with Dowdell getting more work early.

He looks good. Our most complete back.

Last week's game screamed for EJ. Especially in that 4th quarter. Dowdell runs hard and tough but doesn't have the most nimble feet. When the hole us "messy" (pause) he tends to struggle. Rahmir is good in the open field but also struggles a bit seeing holes and cutting in between the tackles. EJ has the best vision, instincts and cutting ability on the team. The worse our OL is the more u need a natural RB like EJ.

Still have no idea how Barthel and Satterfield didn't go to him last week.

Holla

After seeing literally any other back, I don’t understand how Rhamir gets playing time. He probably fumbles it the least in practice is my guess. I like the guy and his loyalty but I’d love to see Dowdell/Emmit

I'm starting to see a thing where it SEEMS like our coaches like playing the older more experienced guys ahead of guys who may be a bit more talented but may be apt to make a mistake.

After watching him for a game and a half their is no way I can be convinced that Wright isn't one of the two best CBs. Love Buford and he's a leader but I'm not buying him as a better CB than Wright. I also think Buford is a better S than Hertzog but they have him at CB. Is Gottula a drop off from Corcoran? If the last game and a half is an indicator I'm gonna say no. Yet he's a rs frosh and Corcoran like a 6th year? What am I missing there?

There's a couple more that I could name but I'll stop there. I guess the adage that coaches play who they trust more than who sometimes may be better is true. At least I think that's the case here.

Holla

Our staff gets too cute with their new toys
This is sooooo true.

As someone that (poorly) coached FB for years, and was forced to call offense for two seasons (it was THE WORST, I only ever called defense) the best advice I ever got was this

"Think of it like you have 40 plays, that is it, that is all you get, you only get to call 40 plays, if you know you only have 40 plays, what plays are you going to call"

I thought it was great advice, it makes you realize how important each offense snap is. Did it help me? No, I was still horrible at it, but it made a lot of sense.

I'm starting to see a thing where it SEEMS like our coaches like playing the older more experienced guys ahead of guys who may be a bit more talented but may be apt to make a mistake.

After watching him for a game and a half their is no way I can be convinced that Wright isn't one of the two best CBs. Love Buford and he's a leader but I'm not buying him as a better CB than Wright. I also think Buford is a better S than Hertzog but they have him at CB. Is Gottula a drop off from Corcoran? If the last game and a half is an indicator I'm gonna say no. Yet he's a rs frosh and Corcoran like a 6th year? What am I missing there?

There's a couple more that I could name but I'll stop there. I guess the adage that coaches play who they trust more than who sometimes may be better is true. At least I think that's the case here.

Holla
I completely agree on EJ, and Wright/Buford. Get your best 4 on the field. Hartzog is just too limited with both his size and speed. Decent ball skills but you can’t rely on him as a starter.

The Corcoran argument I think is a more understandable. First because Gottula hasn’t been tested much but second, OL needs to play as a unit as much as any other position group. When you’ve got several returning seniors with a bunch of starts that communication and being on the same page goes a long way - so I can see why the coaches would lean on experience if the talent is similar in that case.

I thought it was very strange how DD got the #1 job. All throughout camp, he was being talked about by everyone in the know as the 4th guy, he might get a few carries here and there but nothing substantial. EJ and Rahmir were 1 and 2 then Gabe then DD. They made the decision a day or two before the first game to elevate DD, it was like something big happened in practice leading up to that first game.

I do like DD's game a lot but I like EJ's game a lot more. It's like the coaches forgot what EJ did for them last year. I also don't know if there is a lot of separation between DD and Ervin. Gabe is a lot like DD but maybe with a little more power. DD might be a hell of a back in a year or two but right now he wouldn't be my starter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT