ADVERTISEMENT

Either Plan to Keep Frost Long-term or Fire Him Now

SLOHusker

Senior
Aug 7, 2001
That's my opinion.

1) You can't hire good assistants if they are going to be at risk of being let go with Frost after one year. Nobody wants that kind of instability.
2) Recruits and even grad transfers are going to be reluctant to join the team right now. The grass doesn't look green here for top flight recruits and even 2-3 star recruits probably don't want to sign on knowing there is so much uncertainty in the program.
3) If the entire staff is uncertain about their future they likely aren't giving their all to recruiting (and based on the results so far it's obviously not going well). Most are probably looking around to see what is available for future jobs.
4) Players will likely start transferring for various reasons. Some are probably tired of not going to bowl games, etc. Others will feel they can't move up the depth chart (QB). Others will just not feel like being far from their home state when then aren't in a winning program.

In my opinion Trev should either say "I don't care about the record and we are keeping Frost for years to come" or fire Frost and give Chinander the reins for the remainder of the season. If a top coaching candidate is available that you can't miss out on then you give them an interview along with Chinander. Otherwise give Chinander next season to run the program as an extended audition to see how it goes. If he succeeds extend him a few years. Otherwise, hire a new coach.

That's my opinion.

1) You can't hire good assistants if they are going to be at risk of being let go with Frost after one year. Nobody wants that kind of instability.
2) Recruits and even grad transfers are going to be reluctant to join the team right now. The grass doesn't look green here for top flight recruits and even 2-3 star recruits probably don't want to sign on knowing there is so much uncertainty in the program.
3) If the entire staff is uncertain about their future they likely aren't giving their all to recruiting (and based on the results so far it's obviously not going well). Most are probably looking around to see what is available for future jobs.
4) Players will likely start transferring for various reasons. Some are probably tired of not going to bowl games, etc. Others will feel they can't move up the depth chart (QB). Others will just not feel like being far from their home state when then aren't in a winning program.

In my opinion Trev should either say "I don't care about the record and we are keeping Frost for years to come" or fire Frost and give Chinander the reins for the remainder of the season. If a top coaching candidate is available that you can't miss out on then you give them an interview along with Chinander. Otherwise give Chinander next season to run the program as an extended audition to see how it goes. If he succeeds extend him a few years. Otherwise, hire a new coach.
It's done.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
That's my opinion.

giving the job to Chins on a temporary basis has the exact same problems as keeping Frost for 1 more year. THis is total dumpster fire little league decision by Trev.

That's my opinion.

You're a little late to the party

Barring a player mutiny, Frost will be here in 2023. Next year, we have built in excuse of new staff needing more time. If he wins 6 games in 2022 or 2023, he will get extended.
Unfortunately you are probably right. Before the season 6 wins and a bowl were the floor meaning next year the expectations should be higher. Instead we go 7-5 next year frost can point to progress and will get another year. People will probably even get excited about "well if we keep him another year our buyout is less!"

Reactions: BleedRed78
That's my opinion.

Huh. Your moniker seems especially apropos at this moment.

Some may think its wrong. But we all better hope like heck this works. If you have a hard on for Frost and want him gone so be it. But my feeling is we better support this for NU football's sake and we can get this thing turned around. Negativity only breeds Negativity and takes years off your life.

Assistant coaching changes should have saved solich. Lack of it sunk bill c.

To accept losing and shit show decisions?
If you could wave a magic wand and make everything perfect, tell me the only way forward in your mind.

You've been bitching for 2 days, nothing but negativism, but I haven't heard one imaginary solution coming from you. Other than nothing will work. I got news for you, anything can work if the elements are in place.

It's just a ****ing game. You act like you have to be here. It's not our ****ing job, if we don't like how things are headed, all we gotta do is hit the bricks.

The vast majority on here are participating with comments pro and con on what transpired yesterday. I don't agree with all them, and they don't agree with me. It's all good, this is supposed to be energizing and a free flow of ideas. Not a single one of us had any part in what transpired.

You act like your pissed off at this crowd, when in fact, your opinion is no better than mine, mine is no better than yours, and everyone else has just as much right to say what's on their mind as anyone else.

If NU has another lousy year, what difference does it make? We've had 2 decades of shitcan football.

Give us some solutions, anybody can bitch.

If you could wave a magic wand and make everything perfect, tell me the only way forward in your mind.

You've been bitching for 2 days, nothing but negativism, but I haven't heard one imaginary solution coming from you. Other than nothing will work. I got news for you, anything can work if the elements are in place.

It's just a ****ing game. You act like you have to be here. It's not our ****ing job, if we don't like how things are headed, all we gotta do is hit the bricks.

The vast majority on here are participating with comments pro and con on what transpired yesterday. I don't agree with all them, and they don't agree with me. It's all good, this is supposed to be energizing and a free flow of ideas. Not a single one of us had any part in what transpired.

You act like your pissed off at this crowd, when in fact, your opinion is no better than mine, mine is no better than yours, and everyone else has just as much right to say what's on their mind as anyone else.

If NU has another lousy year, what difference does it make? We've had 2 decades of shitcan football.

Give us some solutions, anybody can bitch.
The names of "can't miss" head coaches out there keep dropping off of lists because of more mind numbing losses. Campbell loses to a team who doesn't have a head coach..... Franklin is stumbling and bumbling and looking increasingly mediocre. Who is left? Trev might have just made a brilliant move that is going to save us millions of dollars and a couple of more wasted years.

Reactions: pharvey0829
That's my opinion.

Iowa fan chiming here, so you'll have to consider the source (in other words, I really don't know anything) but........ your idea about giving Chinander an "extended audtion" makes a lot of sense. just might work. Otherwise, I don't have much to offer in the way of suggestions, so I will go back to Iowa and enjoy my bacon sandwich.

Iowa fan chiming here, so you'll have to consider the source (in other words, I really don't know anything) but........ your idea about giving Chinander an "extended audtion" makes a lot of sense. just might work. Otherwise, I don't have much to offer in the way of suggestions, so I will go back to Iowa and enjoy my bacon sandwich.
You should try a vegan bacon sandwich.

That's my opinion.

why give him the reins never being a hc

Nah what they did was probably the right one. Frost likely isnt at Nebraska long term, but he has a one year shot to prove that he is worthy to be.

The conversations are over now. We have a new bar and the apologists will be out in force. 3 win seasons are now the acceptable norm as long as the ratio of morale victories and signature losses are high. Another season like this one sees Frost keeping his job as is. Possibly another cycling of coaches depending on how our “close losses” play out. 6 wins and a bowl game will seem like the 2nd coming and lock in a new long term contract.

"Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades” is for the brainless who have very little critical thinking skills so they rely on mantras of dead people.

Nah what they did was probably the right one. Frost likely isnt at Nebraska long term, but he has a one year shot to prove that he is worthy to be.
IF they had fired Frost this year, there would be a large segment of Husker fans who would be pissed as hell. They give Frost one more year and IF he fails next year he's gone and the Frost loyalists will understand completely IMO. I think there were too many fans and boosters that wanted to give Frost another year based on what they perceive as an improvement in the team even though the W/L record doesn't reflect that. As we saw with Frank, firing a favorite son is a difficult thing to do. The hope is that they can avoid having to fire Frost and the resulting division that it would cause.

The conversations are over now. We have a new bar and the apologists will be out in force. 3 win seasons are now the acceptable norm as long as the ratio of morale victories and signature losses are high. Another season like this one sees Frost keeping his job as is. Possibly another cycling of coaches depending on how our “close losses” play out. 6 wins and a bowl game will seem like the 2nd coming and lock in a new long term contract.
not all 3 win seasons are equal, if you look at how we've actually PLAYED you'll see its actually a pretty good team, with that said I think if we can get 6 wins next year its clear sign of progress

As I said, the apologists will be out in force. We also play a much weaker schedule next year. As I also said signature losses and morale victories count the same as wins under Frost.

IF they had fired Frost this year, there would be a large segment of Husker fans who would be pissed as hell. They give Frost one more year and IF he fails next year he's gone and the Frost loyalists will understand completely IMO. I think there were too many fans and boosters that wanted to give Frost another year based on what they perceive as an improvement in the team even though the W/L record doesn't reflect that. As we saw with Frank, firing a favorite son is a difficult thing to do. The hope is that they can avoid having to fire Frost and the resulting division that it would cause.
There's a large segment of fans who are pissed as hell we kept Frost. Especially since we would have had a very good shot at getting offensive prodigies like Mullen or Herman, who have much better track records than Frost.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT