ADVERTISEMENT

Eichorst Fired

I think the Black Friday screw up coupled with the loss to NIU made this decision inevitable. That Black Friday schedule changed pissed off more people than I ever thought possible for the day of a football game. I think Riley has to have a winning season or he's gone too.
Not to mention throwing the players under the bus...

At the end of the day, this program can't allow NIU to come into our house, teabag us, and just proceed on as if nothing happened. If Riley didn't want to get canned, he could have started by beating NIU. If you can't accomplish that at Nebraska you're not the right guy for the job.

I would say Riley has been put on notice. The team can either bow up and play for themselves (as opposed to the "greatest fans in college FB"), or lay down. The coaches had best find some things that work.

I highly doubt that. This team was looking like it could be in the 6-8 win range. But we didn't even give them a chance. Instead we gutted our HC and his staff after 2 1/3 years. And I'd bet my house that it's Tim Claire et al. behind the scene pulling all the strings.

I disagree that we didn't give them a chance. The team doesn't look better in any area than when he got here. They're 16-13 to this point and will get the opportunity to complete the season. Win out and nobody will be talking changes. Keep losing to the NIU's of the world and you're toast.

Hopefully the team attacks this adversity and the team wins out so we can laugh at the mere mention of a coaching change.

Reactions: nebcountry
This is a knee-jerk, reactionary decision. There is no way in hell they have a guy already in place. Unless they name an interim like they did with Osborne, and with the stroke of Osborne, no AD in their right mind takes the job and his first decision is to fire a coach. Any AD with a brain would say, if you want the coach fired, you fire him and I will hire the next guy. Especially after they way Eichorst was done. After all wasn't he brought in to fire Pelini?????/
Eichorst was not brought in to fire Pelini. Correct. Eichorst was also not replacing a failed AD. He came into a relatively stable situation and inherited a 9 win football coach. The trouble with Pelini came later.

The fact Eichorst was fired now does seem reactionary. Unless this has been brewing since our football collapse at the end of last season. The OSU, Iowa, and Tennessee games were ugly. So there is a good chance that many big donors already had Riley on the hot seat, with the start to this year the final straw. And Eichorst had to know his ass was in trouble. Hence his impromptu news conference at the end of the game.

But who knows? I just want what is best for Husker football. Maybe you and Truehuskerfan and Archie Graham are right. And I hope Riley can turn this around. I sure like the guy.

But I do know one thing. At Nebraska, you don't lose to NIU at home and then expect for there to be no repercussions. After all, we aren't Iowa

Thoughts:

Time to find a GREAT AD. I mean, go for a big name (like Tressell) or go after some hot younger commodity who looks to make a big impact.

Riley needs to be around through at least 2018. Any less than that shows incredible instability in a program that is already hard to get going. Riley has actually recruited very well for this program, and that needs to continue for a bit. I think a new AD would know that and would know to watch the program carefully over the next two years and THEN make a decision.

Fire Cavanaugh. I really wanted him to succeed, but he's bad and the O-line is bad.

If you expect Riley to be here until the end of 2018...well, let's just say that you're going to be disappointed.

I disagree that we didn't give them a chance. The team doesn't look better in any area than when he got here. They're 16-13 to this point and will get the opportunity to complete the season. Win out and nobody will be talking changes. Keep losing to the NIU's of the world and you're toast.

Hopefully the team attacks this adversity and the team wins out so we can laugh at the mere mention of a coaching change.

Honestly, I'm not even trying to argue details right now. We cut his bag after 2 1/3 seasons. It's over. We either have to pray that 6-8 million a year could bring in an ace or we are getting a 7-10 year build with a completely inexperienced HC like Frost (...assuming he wants the job).

Honestly, I'm not even trying to argue details right now. We cut his bag after 2 1/3 seasons. It's over. We either have to pray that 6-8 million a year could bring in an ace or we are getting a 7-10 year build with a completely inexperienced HC like Frost (...assuming he wants the job).

Listen I don't know if Frost is the answer but we hired an experienced coach 2 1/3 years ago and look where we are- 16-13, so don't use inexperienced as a reason to not hire. Just get the best

Listen I don't know if Frost is the answer but we hired an experienced coach 2 1/3 years ago and look where we are- 16-13, so don't use inexperienced as a reason to not hire. Just get the best

The best aren't coming here because they know they'll get canned for not doing things the Nebraska way.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi

Hey, if we go out and land Chip Kelly (...or someon of that caliber) I'll go crazy. But we won't. I've already stated I think we are headed back to the past to try and solve the problems of the present.

Not to mention throwing the players under the bus...

Also not to mention his mishandling of the basketball programs the last couple years (the Connie Yori scandal, not communicating with Miles and then announcing he's returning via Twitter and not speaking to the media about it for 2 months). They called this guy "The Invisible A.D." at Miami, literally nobody knew who he was, and he gave the coach there a huge extension after a 6-6 season. Barry Alvarez played us big time by telling Harvey to hire him.

Again, I don't see how you can say this. We just cut his bag. Player morale/commitment will get worse, recruits will decommit, quality assistants will be looking to jump ship. It's over. After 2 1/3 years. And if by some miracle we got to eight wins I think he would be fired anyway. But if he wasn't? Then he has to win having lost his recruiting class and his better ACs. No problem. Just win, baby. Ugh. It's over.
Hey, if we go out and land Chip Kelly (...or someon of that caliber) I'll go crazy. But we won't. I've already stated I think we are headed back to the past to try and solve the problems of the present.

Ok. Archie Graham down for we will suck. Wait- what's our record?

I think the AD hire will have some ties to the past - because they want to ensure the culture issues are fixed and have some one that understands what they are getting into in Lincoln. The coaching hire needs to be somebody good at coaching college football. Does not need to have ties to the Huskers. Chip Kelly - for example - fits that mold. I don't see him taking the job....but it is the right idea.

I think the AD hire will have some ties to the past - because they want to ensure the culture issues are fixed and have some one that understands what they are getting into in Lincoln. The coaching hire needs to be somebody good at coaching college football. Does not need to have ties to the Huskers. Chip Kelly - for example - fits that mold. I don't see him taking the job....but it is the right idea.

It's going to be interesting. I've got some issues with how this has all gone down; however, I also want to win. We will see if the administration is serious about landing a whale for the AD and the HC position. When you cut a coaches bag after 2 1/3 season you'd better be serious about brining in someone big time.

Reactions: Mack In Motion
It's going to be interesting. I've got some issues with how this has all gone down; however, I also want to win. We will see if the administration is serious about landing a whale for the AD and the HC position. When you cut a coaches bag after 2 1/3 season you'd better be serious about brining in someone big time.
I think the rationale for firing SE has been mostly clear, but this move doesn't necessarily mean that Riley gets the boot by the new AD. Riley controls his fate and always has.

This needed to be done. This recruiting class wasn't that great and the last few have lost their luster a bit, so firing Mike shouldn't be too hard for the new AD to do.

With the timing here, if that individual is not already selected and on the hook, I will be more than dumbfounded.
It has to be 90s era Husker. There is no way they can't do that. If It's not, why even try? They will still have a pissed off fan base demanding the past. His comments today cemented it will be Trev or someone similar.

I think the rationale for firing SE has been mostly clear, but this move doesn't necessarily mean that Riley gets the boot by the new AD. Riley controls his fate and always has.

Riley 'controls his fate' in a vacuum. After today? It's over.

It has to be 90s era Husker. There is no way they can't do that. If It's not, why even try? They will still have a pissed off fan base demanding the past. His comments today cemented it will be Trev or someone similar.

Agree. If we have something in the works the only reasonable hypothesis points to old Huskers.

But it's also possible that those making the decisions are just in a panic and react mode.

I didn't read through all the post but maybe this was mentioned already.

A lot seem to think Riley will be given more time because of this decision. I'm not so sure about that. I mean Eichorst was fired for obviously and mostly football related reasons. If it is about our football program, then Riley might not be here much longer either following this decision.

eh who knows....but I do got the popcorn ready.

Eichorst was not brought in to fire Pelini. Correct. Eichorst was also not replacing a failed AD. He came into a relatively stable situation and inherited a 9 win football coach. The trouble with Pelini came later.

The fact Eichorst was fired now does seem reactionary. Unless this has been brewing since our football collapse at the end of last season. The OSU, Iowa, and Tennessee games were ugly. So there is a good chance that many big donors already had Riley on the hot seat, with the start to this year the final straw. And Eichorst had to know his ass was in trouble. Hence his impromptu news conference at the end of the game.

But who knows? I just want what is best for Husker football. Maybe you and Truehuskerfan and Archie Graham are right. And I hope Riley can turn this around. I sure like the guy.

But I do know one thing. At Nebraska, you don't lose to NIU at home and then expect for there to be no repercussions. After all, we aren't Iowa

Failed AD, debatable. who hired Timmy and Bo?

Timing isn't stupid. If leadership determined that Eichorst isn't getting the job done, then you move immediately. This is management 101.

Also, if we're going to slow down major changes for a program of this size due to some 17 year olds who may or may not stick with a verbal agreement, our priorities are upside down.

Lastly, you can see what impact a quality coach has on a program with many examples, but one is Scott Frost. He inherited a team with no wins. Zero. Do you think they were worried about recruits? Nope. His very next season he generated 6 wins.

Washington was middling at best. Chris Petersen comes in and they are top 10. The right fit of a coach can turn this around even in the absence of a "lost" recruiting class.
thanks for your sanity. rare on here...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT