ADVERTISEMENT

Eichorst Fired

I hope Riley gets this thing turned around. He's just starting to get real traction with recruiting. Sick of this revolving door of head coaches! Just need to hire a real OL coach. If he's let go, get ready for yet another long rebuilding process and probably the worst 3 years of football Nebraska has ever seen. Sure, with the right hire we could return to national prominence eventually but it'll really suck for a few years!

Purdue has seemingly turned things around overnight, with a lot less talent than we have right now. If you hire a good coach, things can change VERY quickly.

Reactions: Nate004
What is the fascination with the disdain toward Alberts. Objectively, he has done some amazing things at UNO making very tough decisions to invest in programs that are now on the rise with a brand new facility. He knows what being at Nebraska is all about.

How's the AD budget look under his leadership?

Reactions: GretnaShawn
Wow, include me with the group that is surprised this happened now. I just hope it wasn't so reactionary as some have claimed, but rather a vision is in place and a specific plan to move towards that is also in place. Otherwise we are just shuffling the deck again hoping for a better hand.
I'd like to believe it's the former, but I doubt it. To me, this is an example of what I've heard called the "do something disease". Every time something bad happens, a large group of people want something done. Doing nothing isn't good enough, even if that may be the most prudent course to take. You have to make some big move just to make people feel as though something is being done. It's all about feelings and not about really doing anything concrete. Not a very smart way to do things.

Thoughts:

Time to find a GREAT AD. I mean, go for a big name (like Tressell) or go after some hot younger commodity who looks to make a big impact.

Riley needs to be around through at least 2018. Any less than that shows incredible instability in a program that is already hard to get going. Riley has actually recruited very well for this program, and that needs to continue for a bit. I think a new AD would know that and would know to watch the program carefully over the next two years and THEN make a decision.

Fire Cavanaugh. I really wanted him to succeed, but he's bad and the O-line is bad.

haven't seen anything mentioned, but, just thought i would throw this out there. i know many don't give a hoot about women's basketball-----wonder if the connie yori situation started the snowball rolling?

I think the Black Friday screw up coupled with the loss to NIU made this decision inevitable. That Black Friday schedule changed pissed off more people than I ever thought possible for the day of a football game. I think Riley has to have a winning season or he's gone too.

Nope. My bad. Just reading posts and hearing that some big money people turned on Shawn after those interviews. Sorry.

Are people award that Sweatervest is the President of Youngstown State U and hired Bo Pelini as the YSU FB coach?

Are you talking about UNO or UNL. UNL athletic department just gave $5 million to general students.
It has been good. But the big $ was wavering at the end of last year with the way Miles was handled and how football ended up. However, the turn happened with not only the losses but also how Shawn handled himself in the interviews. Telling the players they have to do better while propping himself up multiple times didn't sit well with some folks.

I think the Black Friday screw up coupled with the loss to NIU made this decision inevitable. That Black Friday schedule changed pissed off more people than I ever thought possible for the day of a football game. I think Riley has to have a winning season or he's gone too.

If you fired an AD over the Black Friday football game, that would be the textbook definition of reactionary and nothing more than getting a pound of flesh.

If you fired an AD over the Black Friday football game, that would be the textbook definition of reactionary and nothing more than getting a pound of flesh.

Oh I totally agree. I heard unanimous disapproval for the change whether it be from the casual to hardcore fans both in person and online. It was a tradition being stopped for no reason and if there's one thing to remember it's not to mess with Nebraska's tradition.

It was more than that. It was going from never showing his face on the field or in the locker room to being raw raw on the sidelines. It was not understanding Husker tradition with the Black Friday thing but even more so the cringe-worthy interview about how he never said the things he said and he is always supportive our history. Then when he gave the speech about him providing great leadership many of the monied people were done with him.

P.S. The above are the straws that broke the camel's back, but these guys weren't thrilled last spring and through the summer with performance.

Oh I totally agree. I heard unanimous disapproval for the change whether it be from the casual to hardcore fans both in person and online. It was a tradition being stopped for no reason and if there's one thing to remember it's not to mess with Nebraska's tradition.
All must be in who you talk to. I don't know a single person that really cared that much about playing on Black Friday. That's not the issue anyway. It was something that people could use against him. The number of people who really cared that deeply about playing on Black Friday are much smaller.

Nor do I. I don't get the celebration about it either. People got the scalp they wanted. That's all it is-just the bloodlust from some people for somebody to "get". That won't help the team play better.

It won't hurt the team either IMHO

If the season continues to tank there will be a lot of husker fans (the true ones anyway) proclaiming that firing SE was to blame despite being 1-2 against far less competition before the firing

Reactions: nebcountry
One last thing and I'm out: I'll eat crow if we don't dip right back into the past to try and solve the problems of the present. Everyone is acting like this decision is going to lead to some forward-thinking solution that is going to land us someone of the Chip Kelly caliber. Don't hold your breath. I'd be surprised if we don't hire someone like Alberts or Riminton, who don't deserve the job, and then reach out to a shallow pool of coaches named Scott Frost (...who isn't ready to coach here yet). All while the recruiting class falls apart and the team gives up on the season because of this timing. I'll be back to eat my crow if need be.

Ok so u don't like Alberts or Frost, who do you like?

If the season continues to tank there will be a lot of husker fans (the true ones anyway) proclaiming that firing SE was to blame despite being 1-2 against far less competition before the firing

I highly doubt that. This team was looking like it could be in the 6-8 win range. But we didn't even give them a chance. Instead we gutted our HC and his staff after 2 1/3 years. And I'd bet my house that it's Tim Claire et al. behind the scene pulling all the strings.

I highly doubt that. This team was looking like it could be in the 6-8 win range. But we didn't even give them a chance. Instead we gutted our HC and his staff after 2 1/3 years. And I'd bet my house that it's Tim Claire et al. behind the scene pulling all the strings.

Maybe 6 wins...7 or 8 was probably being pretty generous. With that said, the staff has nobody to blame but themselves. Riley can still win, it's now or never for that "experience" to pay off.

All he has to do- just win baby! Pretty simple if you ask me

Well, I won't ask you. Because if you think he should 'just win' given what has transpired you don't think carfully about things. There is nothing Riley can do to save his job. It's over.

Reactions: RedMyMind
Maybe 6 wins...7 or 8 was probably being pretty generous. With that said, the staff has nobody to blame but themselves. Riley can still win, it's now or never for that "experience" to pay off.

Again, I don't see how you can say this. We just cut his bag. Player morale/commitment will get worse, recruits will decommit, quality assistants will be looking to jump ship. It's over. After 2 1/3 years. And if by some miracle we got to eight wins I think he would be fired anyway. But if he wasn't? Then he has to win having lost his recruiting class and his better ACs. No problem. Just win, baby. Ugh. It's over.

Nothing that happened today keeps them from from winning games. If Riley wins 8+ games he will be retained. 6 or less he should probably be gone. The play has been absolutely atrocious - Riley gutted himself by hiring abysmal assistant coaches which is the single most important task after taking a new job that a head coach has. He failed miserably.

Maybe he will surprise. But he needs a winning conference record just to get to 6 wins

People will use the SE firing as an excuse for Riley's poor reformable it continues. It has aleeady started if you read above

Reactions: nebcountry
Nothing that happened today keeps them from from winning games. If Riley wins 8+ games he will be retained. 6 or less he should probably be gone. The play has been absolutely atrocious - Riley gutted himself by hiring abysmal assistant coaches which is the single most important task after taking a new job that a head coach has. He failed miserably.

Maybe he will surprise. But he needs a winning conference record just to get to 6 wins

Nothing that happened today keeps them from winning games. That's the funniest thing I've ever read on HOL. Thanks for that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT