ADVERTISEMENT

Eichorst Fired

Eichorst was one of the Top 5 highest-paid ADs in the country, despite doing nothing to deserve that salary. I'm sure many ADs will be interested in making 7-figures at one of the most financially-stable athletic departments, and likely getting the chance to hire their own football and men's basketball coaches.

I need names.

Keep telling yourself that, if you makes you feel better. No, it looks like the dumpster fire has been tamed and that it is well on its way to being putting out.
Until you can put a name in the AD job it is roaring fire.

The very same can be said for Riley when we hired him in 2015. He was in the hot seat at Oregon state for heavens sake
I don't think anyone thinks Riley himself was anything but a reach.

I like Riley, and I hope he succeeds, but he was on nobody but apparently Eichorsts list before his hire.

Same with Callahan, and to a certain degree, Pelini.

I need names.
68561316.jpg

What is the fascination with the disdain toward Alberts. Objectively, he has done some amazing things at UNO making very tough decisions to invest in programs that are now on the rise with a brand new facility. He knows what being at Nebraska is all about.

And put the athletic departments budget in shambles all while canceling two high level programs! Sounds like a dream hire.

Jesus people. You think we can fire Mike Riley after 2.5 years and we will be in on anyone but Scott Frost (...maybe)?
Haven't been on the board since before the NIU game. Listened to the game on the way back from a XC meet. Bitterly disappointed. The Tanner Lee option looks pretty shaky. Seems we don't have the Oline play for this type of offense.
If Eichorst was fired as a result of Saturday, I put that in the overreaction basket. If we fire Riley after 3 seasons (and telegraph that firing this season), on top of firing two coaches who won at a very good clip before that, well, what coach looks at that and says, I gotta be in Lincoln. Frosty might even well stay where blue chip recruits are within driving distance.

Trev isn't qualified to run a middle school, let alone a college or university athletic department. He has made hard decisions that shouldn't have been made at all and his communication has been out of three sides of his head. Maybe he should go into politics. I will support nothing that he is associated with.

Until you can put a name in the AD job it is roaring fire.

Wrong again. We could pull a name out of a hat and it would be a better choice than the guy that we just fired. We won't tolerate another piss-poor hire at the AD position. Harvey Perlman is gone, and won't be a part of this hiring process. He put very little thought into the hire of Eichorst, because he didn't care about athletics. He just took the word of someone else and made the shitty hire. It won't happen this time.

I get why many on here think this is reactionary and not good for the program.

I also get why people are really pissed when they see NO PROGRESS with the team, and even regression, in year three. You can call this a reactionary move or you can view it as proactive. When you hire a coach who has never been very successful at any school, and when that coach hires many, many bad assistants he has to fire, and when in year three it looks like the team is undisciplined and poorly coached in fundamentals, and when you lose to NIU and almost lose to Arky State... well... maybe somebody with some balls and vision is saying "this time we aren't waiting seven years. Only someone who is football stupid could miss what direction we are headed."

I suspect this firing is like the firing of Peterson. The new AD will come in and say "no decisions have been made" and will let the season unfold. If Riley turns it around then he stays. If we suck and the season goes south, he goes. And in the meantime the new AD starts looking for a potential new coach

Trev isn't qualified to run a middle school, let alone a college or university athletic department. He has made hard decisions that shouldn't have been made at all and his communication has been out of three sides of his head. Maybe he should go into politics. I will support nothing that he is associated with.

Trev doesn't want the job.

Reactions: Cloud@Heart
Ummm. There is a difference between that and "...did you see that after Nebraska started 1-2 they fired their AD? They will install a new AD to fire Coach Riley. Tough break for your future at Nebraska. How about an official."

That is exactly the negative recruiting which will likely take place, but ironically, it is probably what will happen in the future too.

unless they already know who they want

This is a knee-jerk, reactionary decision. There is no way in hell they have a guy already in place. Unless they name an interim like they did with Osborne, and with the stroke of Osborne, no AD in their right mind takes the job and his first decision is to fire a coach. Any AD with a brain would say, if you want the coach fired, you fire him and I will hire the next guy. Especially after they way Eichorst was done. After all wasn't he brought in to fire Pelini?????/

Appreciate the input..... I thought someone had said the budget was in shambles when he took over and it got better. Don't recall. I guess that would be public knowledge with FIA.
This was about budget...guaranteed...both now and into the future. The big money people surely turned on Eichorst and the Chancellor had no choice.

We have lost 6 out of our last 9 games. One of the losses was the 2nd worst in program history. Early betting predictions had us at a 6 win total. Now that Riley has his QB, the only thing we lead the country in is interceptions.

While the timing might be 3 or 4 weeks early, this shouldn't come as a surprise. We're fresh off a home loss to a MAC team.

Reactions: CameronKrazie86
o_O I' shocked this happened now. Wow. Riley needs to start winning games and quickly. Personally I'm a little disappointed. I know the money Regents who were pissed about Bo's firing are still there so I shouldn't be surprised but I don't think firing SE fixes anything. Unfortunately for SE Bounds is a complete outsider so I have no doubt but that he was easily influenced. The turmoil continues.
Wow, some people can't see the wall in front of them !

Timing isn't stupid. If leadership determined that Eichorst isn't getting the job done, then you move immediately. This is management 101.

Also, if we're going to slow down major changes for a program of this size due to some 17 year olds who may or may not stick with a verbal agreement, our priorities are upside down.

Lastly, you can see what impact a quality coach has on a program with many examples, but one is Scott Frost. He inherited a team with no wins. Zero. Do you think they were worried about recruits? Nope. His very next season he generated 6 wins.

Washington was middling at best. Chris Petersen comes in and they are top 10. The right fit of a coach can turn this around even in the absence of a "lost" recruiting class.
we shall see how Scott does. So far, he hasn't been impressive.

Just wait. It will be some re-tread hire with ties to Tom who isn't qualified to hold the position but will do whatever the Hawks want. Please dear God don't bring Tom back again.
Yeah, things have really improved without him. We cannot hire a less competent AD.

Let's be honest. The reason they did it now is because they want to get an AD hired in plenty of time to hire Riley's replacement. Riley's days are numbered unless they have a humongous turnaround this season.

That does at least make sense of the timing.

Brah...what do you think every recruit is thinking right now? What do you think every single school is going to be pushing against us? This timing is stupid.
Everybody can see clearly Mike Riley is driving this program into a burning ditch of incompetence. How much longer can you go down that path. And you can't fire the coach and leave an incompetent AD to hire the next. This is just step one in the inevitable. Why wait ?

you think its loud now just wait till Riley blows it against Rutgers and certain people will blame it on Ronnie Green. Please. This had to be done. Early signing period get a great AD and get a great HC. I dont care about recruiting. Getting the right hire as AD and Head Coach is the most important thing right now. Recruiting has to take a back seat for one year. To be honest we only have what 10 recruits.

Absolutely. Rutgers hired a guy to save a recruiting class after Greg Schiano went to the NFL and that quick hire (plus a few other things) set the program back a decade or more. Plus a wrong hire will not develop the guys you're trying to save in this class.

You're a scared little kitten aren't you?

Penn St had a rape scandal and overcame it quickly. You got to grow some balls and make the necessary changes to get the right people in place.
We aren't as fortunate as Penn State

we shall see how Scott does. So far, he hasn't been impressive.
I'm not sure how you define "impressive."

First off, I'm certainly intrigued by the idea of bringing Scott Frost to Nebraska for several reasons (championship pedigree, was exposed to some of football's brightest coaches, and yes, he's from here), but I'm not all-in on Frost as our solution. If I thought Nebraska could get a Dan Mullen or someone a little more established, I'm certainly in support of that.

Now onto the "hasn't been impressive" statement. Help me understand how a performance is not impressive when you inherit a team that won zero games and in the very next season gets the team to a bowl game with a regular season 6-6 record. That same team that only two years ago failed to win a game was predicted to finish second in the AAC in only his second year. That same team is playing on the road this weekend to Maryland (team who beat Texas on the road) and they are only a field goal underdog.

This is a knee-jerk, reactionary decision. There is no way in hell they have a guy already in place. Unless they name an interim like they did with Osborne, and with the stroke of Osborne, no AD in their right mind takes the job and his first decision is to fire a coach. Any AD with a brain would say, if you want the coach fired, you fire him and I will hire the next guy. Especially after they way Eichorst was done. After all wasn't he brought in to fire Pelini?????/
Yeah-at least when Pederson was fired, we had TO to come in and calm things down. This time, there is nobody of his stature waiting in the wings to take over. This is all about trying to make people feel good now, but after that wears off, people are going to start realizing that finding a good replacement may not be so easy.

Eichorst was one of the Top 5 highest-paid ADs in the country, despite doing nothing to deserve that salary. I'm sure many ADs will be interested in making 7-figures at one of the most financially-stable athletic departments, and likely getting the chance to hire their own football and men's basketball coaches.

Exactly. Do people actually think that highly regarded ADs haven't built relationships with quality head coaches along the way? We're Nebraska. We aren't going to do this the same way Harvey did it this time.

We haven't sniffed how poorly our athletic department would have had to be performing to higher an AD that was an associate AD at Wisconsin and was failing at Miami. We were winning 9 or 10 games a season when Eichorst was hired. If people want to talk about an impetuous hire, look no further than Harvey's hiring of Eichorst.

I think this gives Riley some breathing room. It will take some time to get the new guy in. Barring five wins or less I think the new guy keeps Riley around for another year.

Solich was in exactly the same boat for you youngins. Steve Pederson was brought in late in the year (after Bill Byrne moved on) and should have fired Frank in 2002 with Nebraska going 6-6 (and then added a 7th loss). However, Steve kept Frank on, let Frank hire new assistants and the 2003 team won 10 games. Firing him in 2003 was one of the most inane things an AD has done.

If Riley tanks this year and goes 6-6, he gets another year. If his team wins ten games next year, lets hope the new AD doesn't repeat Steve's mistakes.

Reactions: CameronKrazie86
Let's be honest. The reason they did it now is because they want to get an AD hired in plenty of time to hire Riley's replacement. Riley's days are numbered unless they have a humongous turnaround this season.

The basketball team has been a roller coaster ride with multiple players leaving the team the last couple of years and poor play down the stretch. I am sure that Eichorst's inability to address this situation had something to do with his firing along with the bad start of the football team this season.

I hope that the Regents have someone already in mind. The timing of this firing seems very odd but I think that they thought that things were going to get worse for the football team and they felt that they needed to get a new AD in place to evaluate what is going on. This would give the new AD enough time to make a decision on Riley and look for his replacement if firing him needs to be done at the end of the season.

Sums up my concerns as well, but we'll see how it turns out. I'll just add: if we hire another coach and that is Frost or someone that runs a similar system, we do not have the right pieces on offense and so we're going to be looking at least at a 3 year buffer for him to get his guys, especially at QB. (Some have said that POB is not a terrible runner, so we'll see).

I am just pointing that out in the hope that we won't be clamoring to fire the new guy, if there is one, within 3 years.
That's the only real positive. Gebbia and POB could run some spread offenses

Wow, include me with the group that is surprised this happened now. I just hope it wasn't so reactionary as some have claimed, but rather a vision is in place and a specific plan to move towards that is also in place. Otherwise we are just shuffling the deck again hoping for a better hand.

Watching the press conference online to the Chancellor speaking...decision is not made just on football..but it sure keeps coming alot

ADVERTISEMENT