ADVERTISEMENT

Eichorst Fired

I'd say the odds are much greater that the team won't turn things around. Then you have to wait until January to hire an AD, which means firing the coach right before Signing Day, or keeping him around for one more lame-duck year. Either way the timing will not be ideal.
And what if they do turn things around? Then what was the point of it? Ridiculously claim that the firing had something to do with the turnaround? This all about satisfying people's bloodlust for somebody to put the blame on now and making it seem like you are doing something. Even most of Riley's harshest critics don't want to fire him now, so firing Eichorst is the next best thing.

I don't think that is correct. Football is a piece of a larger puzzle. I'd imagine this decision has been brewing for weeks, i.e., it was likely in motion before the last couple weeks.

Nearly being 0-3 and giving up 42 in one half probably didn't help matters.

I'm with Archie. I don't understand how this helps us. Why not let the season play out? What if the football team turns this around and we have a successful season? This seems reactionary and impulsive, which is how the country already views our approach to football coaches
This, why now? What exactly is Eichhorst personally doing that is affecting this team? Is there a backup plan for him? Is Riley next? If so, when? Are they just closing up shop this season? It sends the wrong message to the team right now.

Listening to ESPNU radio this morning, The First Team talked about Nebraska again (common topic lately).

One of the guys was upset with Husker fans and said we are expecting too much and need to give it time. He was pretty adamant about it too.

Said something like "Yes the football program has issues, but every team goes through issues and you can't fix the issues overnight."

Husker fans are passionate and expect a lot of winning. Too passionate? Maybe :)

I think that we all know a compete turnaround on the season was not going to happen....we will be lucky to win 6 games and I don't see how coach Riley keeps his job.

And what if they do turn things around? Then what was the point of it? Ridiculously claim that the firing had something to do with the turnaround? This all about satisfying people's bloodlust for somebody to put the blame on now and making it seem like you are doing something. Even most of Riley's harshest critics don't want to fire him now, so firing Eichorst is the next best thing.

If they turn things around, they should have no problem recruiting then.

It is the start of the team getting better. If you don't get that you are an energy vampire or you are not on the positive bus or you are not on the power slide or you are not part of the happy gang.
How does the team get better by the AD getting fired? The team right now is thinking to themselves that they basically sucked so bad, that the AD got fired. This does NOTHING. Absolutely NOTHING. You know damn well that more heads will be rolling. People who wanted to play for Riley are now questioning whether he'll even be there. Recruits are going to start wondering if taking a look at somewhere more stable is better. This was a much better thing to do in the offseason.

Any recruits who sign early would be given releases anyway if we fire Riley after the season. You don't keep mediocre leadership around just for the sake of a couple of recruits.

Exactly. Who gives a flying f**k about a recruiting class when we just lost to NIU? People need to start looking at the BiG picture and stop seeing stars.

Commits already tweeting about this. Great timing.

I think that we all know a compete turnaround on the season was not going to happen....we will be lucky to win 6 games and I don't see how coach Riley keeps his job.
I can see now why I waited until today to come back and read this board. All a bunch of fans giving up on the team. Just as I expected.

I don't think that is correct. Football is a piece of a larger puzzle. I'd imagine this decision has been brewing for weeks, i.e., it was likely in motion before the last couple weeks.

The only reason I said "SE getting fired at this point in the season has everything to do with the football team's horrible start." is because of the timing.

Yes it may have been brewing for a few weeks, but if the football program was 3-0 and doing great, then I reeeeeaaaalllly doubt that SE gets fired in September.

To me, that means it was a football decision. Other sports have issues, but the timing makes me think it was a football decision.

How does the team get better by the AD getting fired? The team right now is thinking to themselves that they basically sucked so bad, that the AD got fired. This does NOTHING. Absolutely NOTHING. You know damn well that more heads will be rolling. People who wanted to play for Riley are now questioning whether he'll even be there. Recruits are going to start wondering if taking a look at somewhere more stable is better. This was a much better thing to do in the offseason.
Because next will be a new coach...one that will be better.

Not surprised people on this board aren't levelheaded enough to see it. I expected better from the university's leadership though. Most people on this board probably want the team to tank now so they can be proven right.

Reactions: RedMyMind
One last thing and I'm out: I'll eat crow if we don't dip right back into the past to try and solve the problems of the present. Everyone is acting like this decision is going to lead to some forward-thinking solution that is going to land us someone of the Chip Kelly caliber. Don't hold your breath. I'd be surprised if we don't hire someone like Alberts or Riminton, who don't deserve the job, and then reach out to a shallow pool of coaches named Scott Frost (...who isn't ready to coach here yet). All while the recruiting class falls apart and the team gives up on the season because of this timing. I'll be back to eat my crow if need be.

One last thing and I'm out: I'll eat crow if we don't dip right back into the past to try and solve the problems of the present. Everyone is acting like this decision is going to lead to some forward-thinking solution that is going to land us someone of the Chip Kelly caliber. Don't hold your breath. I'd be surprised if we don't hire someone like Alberts or Riminton, who don't deserve the job, and then reach out to a shallow pool of coaches named Scott Frost (...who isn't ready to coach here yet). All while the recruiting class falls apart and the team gives up on the season because of this timing. I'll be back to eat my crow if need be.

PLEASE NO

The Athletic Department at Nebraska needs to be run by people who understand what wearing that "N" is all about.
We have been mediocre AT BEST for 20 years. Time for people who understand Nebraska culture/athletics to run Nebraska athletics.

Dumb, dumb,dumb. What AD or coach their would come here if they'll'll be fired if the new coach doesn't turn the program in 2 years from a toxic dump with no depth to a new offense and defensive style. Some of our fans would rather go o 0-12 with Paul Johnson than 9-4 with a pro-style coach. We deserve what we get, an unproven coach that may not even want the job or another coordinator that uses Nebraska as a proving ground and likely move on to a better job if he experiences success. Welcome to the dark ages.

I'm not a huge fan of Trev...how do you think he has done "poor"?

He cut two really high level programs to move to D1. The move has put the athletic programs budget in trouble and put additional strain on the school itself. The school used to contribute $4.3 million a year to the athletic program (7 years ago) and now it is $8.6 million. And they still are having a budget shortfall. They are actually talking about cutting coffee out of the athletic departments budget.

Trev is pinning is hopes on increasing basketball attendance to 5,000 this year to help make up some money. They averaged less than 2,000 last year.

say the team does give up on the season. what is the opportunity cost between that and what they would have been had this move not been made? 2 wins?

Reactions: jeans15
I'm not going to go that far yet, but I'm saying to the people who wanted this-prove that it will help. Your bloodlust was satisfied, now the onus is on you to prove this was the right move and timing. It's about more than just getting rid of the person you wanted to lay blame at. You have to hire somebody who will make things better.

What is the fascination with the disdain toward Alberts. Objectively, he has done some amazing things at UNO making very tough decisions to invest in programs that are now on the rise with a brand new facility. He knows what being at Nebraska is all about.

Dumb, dumb,dumb. What AD or coach their would come here if they'll'll be fired if they new coach doesn't turn the program in 2 years from a toxic dump with no depth to a new offense and defensive style. Some our fans would rather go 0-12 with Paul Johnson than 9-4 with a pro-style coach. We deserve what we get, an unproven coach that may not even want the job or another coordinator that uses Nebraska as a proving ground and likely move on to a better job if he experience success. Welcome to the dark ages.

Eichorst was one of the Top 5 highest-paid ADs in the country, despite doing nothing to deserve that salary. I'm sure many ADs will be interested in making 7-figures at one of the most financially-stable athletic departments, and likely getting the chance to hire their own football and men's basketball coaches.

He cut two really high level programs to move to D1. The move has put the athletic programs budget in trouble and put additional strain on the school itself. The school used to contribute $4.3 million a year to the athletic program (7 years ago) and now it is $8.6 million. And they still are having a budget shortfall. They are actually talking about cutting coffee out of the athletic departments budget.

Trev is pinning is hopes on increasing basketball attendance to 5,000 this year to help make up some money. They averaged less than 2,000 last year.
Appreciate the input..... I thought someone had said the budget was in shambles when he took over and it got better. Don't recall. I guess that would be public knowledge with FIA.

I hope Riley gets this thing turned around. He's just starting to get real traction with recruiting. Sick of this revolving door of head coaches! Just need to hire a real OL coach. If he's let go, get ready for yet another long rebuilding process and probably the worst 3 years of football Nebraska has ever seen. Sure, with the right hire we could return to national prominence eventually but it'll really suck for a few years!

Danny Kanell (sp?) just mae a good.
point on The Playbook on XM84.

"If you are going to fire a coach that wins 9 games, you had better hire a coach that will win 10 games."

Reactions: jeans15
What is the fascination with the disdain toward Alberts. Objectively, he has done some amazing things at UNO making very tough decisions to invest in programs that are now on the rise with a brand new facility. He knows what being at Nebraska is all about.
Because no other program of our caliber would even give him a look. I want the best-not the best who just happens to be an alum.

Reactions: WHCSC

Sums up my concerns as well, but we'll see how it turns out. I'll just add: if we hire another coach and that is Frost or someone that runs a similar system, we do not have the right pieces on offense and so we're going to be looking at least at a 3 year buffer for him to get his guys, especially at QB. (Some have said that POB is not a terrible runner, so we'll see).

I am just pointing that out in the hope that we won't be clamoring to fire the new guy, if there is one, within 3 years.

Last edited:
To me, this feels like we are bracing for the reality that we will be looking for a coach sooner than later.

If we lose some of the easy games coming up, we may end up with an interim coach for the rest of the year and trying to find a new coach to come recruit. Would be a tough pill to swallow, but if we are going to make a change it needs to be soon enough to assemle a recruiting class.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Danny Kanell (sp?) just mae a good.
point on The Playbook on XM84.

"If you are going to fire a coach that wins 9 games, you had better hire a coach that will win 10 games."
And what if said coach who won 9 games was a first class a-hole to the fans and the administration? I'm sick and tired of the two-faced national media who criticized Bo mercilessly and asked how we could keep somebody like that as coach, and then turh around and ask how we could fire them.

Because no other program of our caliber would even give him a look. I want the best-not the best who just happens to be an alum.

The very same can be said for Riley when we hired him in 2015. He was in the hot seat at Oregon state for heavens sake

Just tell any antsy recruits that Riley was recently inked to a contract extension. That will put their minds at ease, because nothing says a D1 head coach is going to be there for the long haul like a contract extension.

Your assuming one couldn't have both. One could certainly have both.

I think they are more concerned about righting the ship a lot more than a few recruits. These 10 recruits aren't going to make or break Nebraska football. They want solid leadership in the athletic department, which has been woefully lacking.

If Riley does what he was hired to do, which is to show substantial progress, then he will be here to sign those kids in February. If he doesn't, he'll be shown the door post-haste, and those kids will be courted by the new coaching staff.

ADVERTISEMENT