ADVERTISEMENT

Eichorst Fired

Any recruits who sign early would be given releases anyway if we fire Riley after the season. You don't keep mediocre leadership around just for the sake of a couple of recruits.

Leaderhsip change today. Leadership change in a few months. Wouldn't matter. There are plenty of ways to optimize the timing of the change(s). We didn't do that here.

Barry A is going to be very upset.
RIP Agent SE.
Wisconsin will award you a star.
GTY_cia_memorial_wall_jef_140717_16x9_608.jpg

Because we will likely need a new football and men's basketball coach soon.

I'm with Archie. I don't understand how this helps us. Why not let the season play out? What if the football team turns this around and we have a successful season? This seems reactionary and impulsive, which is how the country already views our approach to football coaches

...one can wait until after the early signing period and still make the move.

Let's see if we are truly playing the long game here. I doubt it...

It's probably going to take a while to find a new AD. If you keep Eichorst until December and Riley goes 4-8, then what?

I might add that I think the lack of understanding the fans' reaction to the removal of the Friday after Thanksgiving game may have also played a small part in this. Of course, if the team is 3-0, that is not enough, but coupled with the start and the overall lack of performance in most NU athletics, it couldn't have helped.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
you think its loud now just wait till Riley blows it against Rutgers and certain people will blame it on Ronnie Green. Please. This had to be done. Early signing period get a great AD and get a great HC. I dont care about recruiting. Getting the right hire as AD and Head Coach is the most important thing right now. Recruiting has to take a back seat for one year. To be honest we only have what 10 recruits.

It's probably going to take a while to find a new AD. If you keep Eichorst until December and Riley goes 4-8, then what?
I'd be shocked if they don't have a lead candidate already (if not THE next candidate) in place. I think the program will double-down on Nebraska "roots" guys and Trev Alberts seems to fit that bill.

Reactions: HuskerBlueDevil
Ummm. There is a difference between that and "...did you see that after Nebraska started 1-2 they fired their AD? They will install a new AD to fire Coach Riley. Tough break for your future at Nebraska. How about an official."
LOL! They are already saying "Have you seen Riley's record at NU in 3 years? He's 60+ years old. How long do you think he's going to be there? He'll retire or be fired before you get through there. At which point they'll bring in another coach which you may not fit."

Next AD gets 2 seasons with his hire to get it done.

Excellent news for the program. Clean house and get the check book out. And for the love of the Fumblerooskie - do it right this time! Hire LEADERS who are proven to make a postivie impact and let them do what they do.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
This just looks worse to the outside world not a good sign, looks like the whole athletic department is a dumpster fire.

Keep telling yourself that, if you makes you feel better. No, it looks like the dumpster fire has been tamed and that it is well on its way to being putting out.

Reactions: Minn1954

A competent leadership has a play for that senario as of this moment. It's not like we have to wait until December to lay the foundation of the changes.

I'd be shocked if they don't have a lead candidate already (if not THE next candidate) in place. I think the program will double-down on Nebraska "roots" guys and Trev Alberts seems to fit that bill.
I hope not. Trev has done a really poor job at UNO.

The first thing the new AD will do is come out and support Riley and shore up any doubt.

Will undoubtedly privately tell Riley this isn't the buddy system and he needs to roll heads if he wants to keep his job.
I agree. I am sure we will get the here to evaluate, etc. I support our coaches and players, Coach Riley has a great reputation.

Reactions: WHCSC
LOL! They are already saying "Have you seen Riley's record at NU in 3 years? He's 60+ years old. How long do you think he's going to be there? He'll retire or be fired before you get through there. At which point they'll bring in another coach which you may not fit."

You're dense.

I'm with Archie. I don't understand how this helps us. Why not let the season play out? What if the football team turns this around and we have a successful season? This seems reactionary and impulsive, which is how the country already views our approach to football coaches

I'd say the odds are much greater that the team won't turn things around. Then you have to wait until January to hire an AD, which means firing the coach right before Signing Day, or keeping him around for one more lame-duck year. Either way the timing will not be ideal.

Brah...what do you think every recruit is thinking right now? What do you think every single school is going to be pushing against us? This timing is stupid.

Another scared little kitten. You don't think recruits will be excited to play for a better coach than a career .500 guy? Grow some balls

Nor do I. I don't get the celebration about it either. People got the scalp they wanted. That's all it is-just the bloodlust from some people for somebody to "get". That won't help the team play better.
It is the start of the team getting better. If you don't get that you are an energy vampire or you are not on the positive bus or you are not on the power slide or you are not part of the happy gang.

I would have fired him Monday, but Thursday is fine.

HCMR, you are officially on the hot seat. Turn it around NOW or enjoy retirement.

Riley better be worried because SE getting fired at this point in the season has everything to do with the football team's horrible start.

Football leads the athletic department. Riley coaches for his job every day, but now with sweat dripping constantly...

Riley better be worried because SE getting fired at this point in the season has everything to do with the football team's horrible start.

Football leads the athletic department. Riley coaches for his job every day, but now with sweat dripping constantly...

I don't think that is correct. Football is a piece of a larger puzzle. I'd imagine this decision has been brewing for weeks, i.e., it was likely in motion before the last couple weeks.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
when a guy goes 0-2 on Friday football decisions, you can't let him run your athletic dept.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT