ADVERTISEMENT

Eddie Murphy on SNL tonight

spinner4

All-American
Jan 29, 2003
Anyone else looking forward to Eddie back on SNL tonight? Haven’t watched the show in years but looking forward to tonight

Reactions: RiLLLLLLLLey
I haven't seen a non-political skit get any attention on social media which I take as a sign that the writing sucks right now. Used to be stuff like "D*ck in a Box" or whatever would make the rounds even when I wasn't paying close attention to the show. Eddie Murphy can't help the lazy writers.

To liberal for me
It may be far too liberal for my politics (assuming you're referring mainly to the Weekend Update segment), but it's also important to be able to laugh at yourself and the world regardless of your political leanings. I try to look past the politics or at least respect that others have different politics and still share the humor.

I usually DVR it and watch. The real problem is that the talent level on the show is so much lower than it used to be. Sad really. There are usually 1 or 2 really funny people but that is all. I think the biggest problem is it seems the writing is just at such a lower level. Nothing like really famous sketches any more.

Reactions: timnsun
I haven't seen a non-political skit get any attention on social media which I take as a sign that the writing sucks right now. Used to be stuff like "D*ck in a Box" or whatever would make the rounds even when I wasn't paying close attention to the show. Eddie Murphy can't help the lazy writers.
This is all over the place and happened last year. In my opinion it is funny as hell! Like the Simpsons, SNL is still funny. We are all just maturing so the dumb stuff isn't as funny anymore. The shows haven't changed we have, own that and stop bashing it because you aren't "with it" any more!

It may be far too liberal for my politics (assuming you're referring mainly to the Weekend Update segment), but it's also important to be able to laugh at yourself and the world regardless of your political leanings. I try to look past the politics or at least respect that others have different politics and still share the humor.
I agree so many people are way to thin skinned today. But I haven’t found snl funny for a number of years, imo there best years were the first 10-15.

This isn't from SNL, but it has the same actress that was in the Mr. Robinson sketch last night. Pretty funny I think.

This is all over the place and happened last year. In my opinion it is funny as hell! Like the Simpsons, SNL is still funny. We are all just maturing so the dumb stuff isn't as funny anymore. The shows haven't changed we have, own that and stop bashing it because you aren't "with it" any more!
Laughing

Then there’s this one:

Reactions: 9and4
To liberal for me
What was cool in old America is that a show like SNL, which leans left, can still exist. If you don’t like it, you don’t watch. If you do like it, you watch. If New America doesn’t like something, they protest, call you names that end with “ist” and “phobe” if you don’t say the right thing according to them.

What was cool in old America is that a show like SNL, which leans left, can still exist. If you don’t like it, you don’t watch. If you do like it, you watch. If New America doesn’t like something, they protest, call you names that end with “ist” and “phobe” if you don’t say the right thing according to them.
It leans towards whoever is looking funny... there have been classic characterizations of Carter, Clinton (both of them) and Obama...when they were in office, they monopolized weekend updates.

My guess is that if some of you curmudgeons watched reruns from the early years of SNL, you’d find something you wouldn’t like.

Reactions: Gonzo3705
As someone who watched the original SNL the show now isn't that much different than it was then. For every comedy gem there was also one that made you think "oh my gawd is this sketch ever going to end"? Or -" where the heck did they get this musical guest?" I will admit that I stopped watching for quite a while due to life (you know, kids, work, etc.) but have started watching again since they show it early for us west coasters. I also think that the current cast has some incredibly talented people.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
The first several Alec Baldwin impersonations of our fearless leader were some of the funniest skits I've ever seen dun by anyone, on anything...and Palin's "I can see Russia from my house"...good gawd those left me in stitches....and I'm the biggest red neck conservative MAGA guy you'll ever meet....but dammit, funny is funny. Those were funny.

I usually DVR it and watch. The real problem is that the talent level on the show is so much lower than it used to be. Sad really. There are usually 1 or 2 really funny people but that is all. I think the biggest problem is it seems the writing is just at such a lower level. Nothing like really famous sketches any more.
There's been an ebb and flow to the talent level over the years. They've said SNL was dead several times over the years only to see an Eddie Murphy or Chris Farley come on the scene. I guess I'm a little different than some on the board in that I don't mind ANY of our politicians getting bashed. I'm more conservative than most on this board, but I like seeing Trump get made fun of. It's low hanging fruit. He's asking for it. But the best political stuff was Hartman doing Clinton.

There's been an ebb and flow to the talent level over the years. They've said SNL was dead several times over the years only to see an Eddie Murphy or Chris Farley come on the scene. I guess I'm a little different than some on the board in that I don't mind ANY of our politicians getting bashed. I'm more conservative than most on this board, but I like seeing Trump get made fun of. It's low hanging fruit. He's asking for it. But the best political stuff was Hartman doing Clinton.

Hartman was magic at anyone he portrayed. You thought he was better than Darrell Hammond as Clinton though?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT