ADVERTISEMENT

East vs. West

9and4

All-American
Dec 4, 2013
Baltimore
Not as lopsided as you think, at least in the 21 crossover games.

14 home games for East teams.
7 home games for West teams.

11 wins for the East teams.
10 wins for the West teams.

Northwestern 2-1 vs. East (wins vs. Rutgers and MSU; loss vs. Michigan)
Iowa 2-1 vs. East (wins vs. Maryland and Indiana; loss vs. PSU)
Purdue 2-1 vs. East (wins vs. OSU and Indiana; loss vs. MSU)
Nebraska 1-2 vs. East (win vs. MSU; losses vs. Michigan and OSU)
Wisconsin 1-2 vs. East (win vs. Rutgers; losses vs. PSU and Michigan)
Minnesota 1-2 vs. East (win vs. Indiana; losses to OSU and Maryland)
Illinois 1-2 vs. East (win vs. Rutgers; losses to Maryland and PSU)

Next year the roles are reversed: 14 of the 21 crossover games are home games for West teams.

In 25 years TO never lost more than three games in a season.

This year, no team in the West has less than four losses and our champ lost to Duke and Akron. Nice try on the old lipstick on a pig theme, but the West is trash. OSU and Michigan are still their old selves. We are Kansas.

This year, no team in the West has less than four losses and our champ lost to Duke and Akron. Nice try on the old lipstick on a pig theme, but the West is trash. OSU and Michigan are still their old selves. We are Kansas.
I posted facts. You posted an analysis with which I don't disagree, though I wouldn't use the word "trash." Thanks.

Reactions: H8FULLGR8
Not as lopsided as you think, at least in the 21 crossover games.

14 home games for East teams.
7 home games for West teams.

11 wins for the East teams.
10 wins for the West teams.

Northwestern 2-1 vs. East (wins vs. Rutgers and MSU; loss vs. Michigan)
Iowa 2-1 vs. East (wins vs. Maryland and Indiana; loss vs. PSU)
Purdue 2-1 vs. East (wins vs. OSU and Indiana; loss vs. MSU)
Nebraska 1-2 vs. East (win vs. MSU; losses vs. Michigan and OSU)
Wisconsin 1-2 vs. East (win vs. Rutgers; losses vs. PSU and Michigan)
Minnesota 1-2 vs. East (win vs. Indiana; losses to OSU and Maryland)
Illinois 1-2 vs. East (win vs. Rutgers; losses to Maryland and PSU)

Next year the roles are reversed: 14 of the 21 crossover games are home games for West teams.

Very good post, enjoy the facts.Winking

Very good post, enjoy the facts.Winking
The only thing I could add would be the obvious: the East has two "elite" teams, while the West has none, yet still they somehow competed on nearly equal footing with the East. A smarter person than I would have to figure out why that is.

I posted facts. You posted an analysis with which I don't disagree, though I wouldn't use the word "trash." Thanks.
It wasn’t a fact that we thought East vs West won-loss record was lopsided. It is a fact the East has two teams with less than three losses though. They also have teams like Rutgers to drag their record down. Thanks.

Reactions: 9and4
The top 3 teams in the east PSU/OSU/Michigan were 8-1 against the west

He top 3 teams in the west were 5-4 against the east.
Great addition, although it's tough to identify the top three teams in the West. Northwestern will go 8-1, but three teams will finish tied for second at 5-4: Wisconsin, Iowa and Purdue. That doesn't change the records much, making the top four in the West 7-5 against the East.

Reactions: saluno22
The top 3 teams in the east PSU/OSU/Michigan were 8-1 against the west

He top 3 teams in the west were 5-4 against the east.

The east can thank Rutgers, Indiana and Maryland for that probably. My god Rutgers is terrible.

It's also the second year in a row that the East Division champion has been boatraced on the road against a West Division also-ran.
Iowa 55, OSU 24
Purdue 49, OSU 20

Let's hope next year it's Nebraska's turn to stomp the Bucks.

Great addition, although it's tough to identify the top three teams in the West. Northwestern will go 8-1, but three teams will finish tied for second at 5-4: Wisconsin, Iowa and Purdue. That doesn't change the records much, making the top four in the West 7-5 against the East.

NW- Wisc- purdue were top 3. Purdue gets tiebreaker over Iowa based on head to head

East top 3 were 3-1 against the west top 3

There is no doubt that the easier path to the conf championship game is via the west

I bet you are fun at parties! Sick

Bottom line: Teams in the West — and that includes Illinois occasionally — can compete with anybody. The idea that Nebraska will walk into Minneapolis, West Lafayette and even Champaign next year and win all three may be wishful thinking. I think we can do it, but the West isn't "trash" even if it isn't elite.

Bottom line: Teams in the West — and that includes Illinois occasionally — can compete with anybody. The idea that Nebraska will walk into Minneapolis, West Lafayette and even Champaign next year and win all three may be wishful thinking. I think we can do it, but the West isn't "trash" even if it isn't elite.

Yes, that's true enough sir.

The only thing I could add would be the obvious: the East has two "elite" teams, while the West has none, yet still they somehow competed on nearly equal footing with the East. A smarter person than I would have to figure out why that is.

Of course that is why they play the game!

Are you saying the trip to Purdue isn't a winnable game? :)

Reactions: 9and4
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT