ADVERTISEMENT

Earned vs unearned runs question

Danimal4NU

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Nov 1, 2001
Could someone please explain this to me as I have always believed it to be one way but maybe I am wrong. This sequence happened against Indiana and Olson was credited with 5 unearned runs in this sequence.

Mathison flied out to cf. 1 out

Ellis reached on an error by 1B.

Doanes grounded out to 3b; Ellis advanced to second. 2 out

Murrison walked.

Johnson, M. singled to shortstop. Murrison advanced to second; Ellis advanced to third.

Whalen singled to right center, 2 RBI; Johnson, M. advanced to third; Murrison scored, unearned; Ellis scored, unearned.

Jessee walked; Whalen advanced to second.

Pyne doubled to right center, 3 RBI; Jessee scored, unearned; Whalen scored, unearned; Johnson, M. scored, unearned.

Tibbitts grounded out to p

I understand Ellis is unearned but there was only 1 out at the time. My understanding was the unearned runs only follow if there were 2 outs.

To me, it would seem there would be 4 earned runs and one unearned.

If the leadoff hitter get on via an error and the next guy hit a HR, one is earned and one is unearned, correct?

Could someone please explain this to me as I have always believed it to be one way but maybe I am wrong. This sequence happened against Indiana and Olson was credited with 5 unearned runs in this sequence.

Murrison walked.

Johnson, M. singled to shortstop. Murrison advanced to second; Ellis advanced to third.

Whalen singled to right center, 2 RBI; Johnson, M. advanced to third; Murrison scored, unearned; Ellis scored, unearned.

Pyne doubled to right center, 3 RBI; Jessee scored, unearned; Whalen scored, unearned; Johnson, M. scored, unearned.

I understand Ellis is unearned but there was only 1 out at the time. My understanding was the unearned runs only follow if there were 2 outs.

If the leadoff hitter get on via an error and the next guy hit a HR, one is earned and one is unearned, correct?
In that scenario there should have been three outs recorded before any runs were scored so everything is unearned.

Murrison walked.

Hitters 1 is out, hitter 2 reached on error, hitter 3 is out. Everything after this moot & unearned as it should've been a 1-2-3 inning. We could've gave up 200 runs this inning & all would've been unearned.

Hitter 2 is Ellis. He reached on error & hitter 3 recorded an out so when he (Ellis) scores there are 2 outs (hitter 1 & 3) it's unearned as is everyone else after him.

As for your HR scenario, yes, 1 UER & 1 ER.

In that scenario there should have been three outs recorded before any runs were scored so everything is unearned.
Yep. The pitcher had 'earned' a 1, 2, 3 inning via..
Fly out
Ground out (converted to safe at 1st on a fielding error)
Ground out

Olson had done his job. No hits, no runs, no one left on. Clean inning, or should have been.

And, yes, Olson could have gotten the '4th' out before any runs scored but he didn't. And he had three tries at it (walk, single, single), it was the 6th batter who got the first RBI. Still, rules are rules - 5 unearned b/c, you know..., 1, 2, 3, right?

If the bases clear, does the ER vs UR start over? What about a pitching change?

I don't disagree. But for some reason I think it resets...to the Google machine...
Laughing

BTW, my answer snubbed the 2nd part of your question and went only to the bases cleared part. Donno about a new pitcher.

So I couldn't find anything about bases clearing.

However, change in pitchers does result in a reset of earned runs (any inherited runners are still unearned).

I also learned 2 things with quick reading...
1) If you relieve a pitcher with with a 2-0 count, 2-1 count, 3-0 count, 3-1 count, 3-2 count and walk that batter, the run is charged to the previous pitcher. All other counts the run is charged to the reliever.
2) A runner advancing on an error is unearned (like a passed ball or errant throw), unless it ends up to be a non-factor....Example: If a passed ball moves a runner to 2nd but the batter walks, the runner on 2nd becomes "earned" again because he would have been on 2nd anyway. It is no longer an unearned run if the runner would have scored anyway. So a passed ball followed by a home run would still be an earned run. But a passed ball to 2nd, followed by a base hit would be an unearned run.
3) There are situations where a run can later be changed from unearned to earned too: for example, with two outs, a runner on third base scores on a passed ball. For the time being, the run is unearned since the runner should still be at third. If the batter strikes out to end the inning, it will stay that way. If the batter gets a base hit, which would have scored the runner anyway, the run now becomes earned.

So I couldn't find anything about bases clearing.

However, change in pitchers does result in a reset of earned runs (any inherited runners are still unearned).

I also learned 2 things with quick reading...
1) If you relieve a pitcher with with a 2-0 count, 2-1 count, 3-0 count, 3-1 count, 3-2 count and walk that batter, the run is charged to the previous pitcher. All other counts the run is charged to the reliever.
2) A runner advancing on an error is unearned (like a passed ball or errant throw), unless it ends up to be a non-factor....Example: If a passed ball moves a runner to 2nd but the batter walks, the runner on 2nd becomes "earned" again because he would have been on 2nd anyway. It is no longer an unearned run if the runner would have scored anyway. So a passed ball followed by a home run would still be an earned run. But a passed ball to 2nd, followed by a base hit would be an unearned run.
3) There are situations where a run can later be changed from unearned to earned too: for example, with two outs, a runner on third base scores on a passed ball. For the time being, the run is unearned since the runner should still be at third. If the batter strikes out to end the inning, it will stay that way. If the batter gets a base hit, which would have scored the runner anyway, the run now becomes earned.
I love baseball so much. Thanks for the six to midnight moment right there sklar.

Reactions: sklarbodds
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT