SeaOfRed75

Senior
Dec 5, 2010
We are better

MLBs ok but not fast enough.
OLBs need to find a pass rush

OGs are weak link of line

They need to learn how to run in traffic. Ball security BLOWS

WRs are non existent. Play the young guys NOW. Did anyone besides Wandale make a play at WR? Besides the false start...lol

No game changer at RB. You are not putting McCaffrey back there if you have anyone else.

DBs well coached, DL well coached, Oline well coached. Not sure about LBs. WRs we'll have to see. If we keep trotting out the same guys im inclined to say no. TEs i think look better. Still not impressive but better a bit i guess.

We are better

WRs are non existent. Play the young guys NOW. Did anyone besides Wandale make a play at WR? Besides the false start...lol

No game changer at RB. You are not putting McCaffrey back there if you have anyone else.

DBs well coached, DL well coached, Oline well coached. Not sure about LBs. WRs we'll have to see. If we keep trotting out the same guys im inclined to say no. TEs i think look better. Still not impressive but better a bit i guess.
DBs well coached? Sure about that?

Was hoping to see a big burst out of Tompkins....twice he had the edge on a run and both times looked very slow. Mills ran hard.
EXACTLY what i was thinking. Saw those and thought, "well shit still dont have a game breaker RB". Next......

I dont know. i think so. Not sure how talented we are back there. At least with older guys who are playing.
Need to learn to keep themselves out of targeting positions. I thought the Williams hit on Olave where he fumbled was more targeting than the one he actually got ejected on. Taylor-Britt had a mental lapse and knew it right away.

I thought the secondary tackles well. There weren’t as many big plays against your defense as I’d like to see. Not many blown coverages.

The offense needed to step up this year since the front 7 is basically new. 17 points is not good enough. We knew the D was going to struggle, but we did see some positives from the DLine.

I don't know what is going on with the WR room, but losing your deep threat is a major blow and puts a big damper on the ability of the offense to strike fast through the air.

So while there are elements here that look better.. (the team does not look to be falling apart when something bad happens) It also looks worse when you consider the scores.. we are supposed to be putting up more points, and maybe giving up a little more because the D is inexperienced, but we gave up a lot more, and 17 points is pathetic.

We aren't winning jack with that kind of offensive output. that part of the trend is going the wrong direction as far as the scoreboard goes.

I thought the dline played better than what I expected, just remember we don't play OSU again. They have something to play for more then anyone in the big10. Time to move on

Reactions: ADV1
Catch 22. It’s easier to coach when you have talent. We’re limited in what we can do because we don’t have the personnel to run it.
Good coaches find a way. Iowa State and Kansas St can field better teams and play hard against what should be better competition?. Ohio State is Ohio State. We need to show major progress against Wisconsin, Iowa, Purdue, and other similar teams.

I thought the dline played better than what I expected, just remember we don't play OSU again. They have something to play for more then anyone in the big10. Time to move on
Both offensive line and defensive line look better than last year. Thats where you want to see improvement. Thats where games are won and lost. Neb offensive scheme is a good one. Frost schemes them points. Its just 1 game against a good team. I dont think OSU is as good as last year. They lost multiple 1st rd picks. But neb will win some games

The scoop and score and the LM fumble, when it looked like a scoring drive, crushed us. Penalties, once again, killed drives too. Fields had too much time to throw, especially in the first half. I think the game was closer than the score indicates. Not on OSU's level, though.

Positives:
QB play other than the fumbles. Martinez looked sharp
Offensive line is definitely better
Running backs looked good when they had the ball
Tight ends made plays
Defensive line is definitely improved, especially against the run. And that is HUGE. Biggest bright spot for me.
Linebackers were better than last year.
We seem to have a field goal kicker

Negatives
It appears we have very little talent at WR.
Linebackers are better but are still too slow in my opinion
Still no real pass rush. We had some sacks but they were mostly coverage sacks
Zone pass defense was very, very weak. But we needed to play zone because OSU's receivers are too fast for man to man. The pass defense was the worst takeaway from the game.
We still do not have a punter.
Too many fumbles and stupid penalties. With no vertical passing game we cannot be 1st and 20.

Looks like a 5-4 team to me. But if some young receivers emerge and we play tighter pass defense then we might just have the talent to make some noise this year. At the half I was thinking we knock off Wisconsin next week. But with our two db's out for the first half against their QB it is going to be tough. PSU looks human and so does everyone else on our schedule.

We all knew we were going to lose today. I came away feeling a little better.

Positives:
Tight ends made plays
Defensive line is definitely improved, especially against the run. And that is HUGE. Biggest bright spot for me.

Negatives
Zone pass defense was very, very weak. But we needed to play zone because OSU's receivers are too fast for man to man. The pass defense was the worst takeaway from the game.
Too many fumbles and stupid penalties. With no vertical passing game we cannot be 1st and 20.

Looks like a 5-4 team to me. But if some young receivers emerge and we play tighter pass defense then we might just have the talent to make some noise this year. At the half I was thinking we knock off Wisconsin next week. But with our two db's out for the first half against their QB it is going to be tough. PSU looks human and so does everyone else on our schedule.

Well said Pennsy.

Both lines looked solid, which will go a long ways. WR’s were very disappointing and losing Still hurt. We need some new guys to step up and make an impact in the receiving core. DB’s had a rough day, it they won’t see a QB or a WR group like that again this year.

Good news:

Minny sucks, like we all pretty much knew.
Wisconsin OL doesn't look impressive
PSU looks lame
Purdue/Iowa played a game that made me think I just watched the old College Gameday, where it ended and you missed the opening kickoff off of the lame ass 10:59am horrible Big Ten game.

Positives:
Tight ends made plays

Negatives

I thought we played closer than the score indicated yesterday but you can’t beat teams with making so many penalties (90 yards)

Was disappointed in both QB fumbles yesterday and they weren’t even big hits but for the most part they played well.
Where are all these Wide receivers we recruited this past recruiting class? Moving forward SF needs to find someone that stretch the field and run some post patterns a few times.. Hoping Manning plays next week..

Looking forward to the rest of the schedule playing teams that isn’t the caliber of a Ohio State..

I thought we played closer than the score indicated yesterday but you can’t beat teams with making so many penalties (90 yards)

Was disappointed in both QB fumbles yesterday and they weren’t even big hits but for the most part they played well.
Where are all these Wide receivers we recruited this past recruiting class? Moving forward SF needs to find someone that stretch the field and run some post patterns a few times.. Hoping Manning plays next week..

Looking forward to the rest of the schedule playing teams that isn’t the caliber of a Ohio State..
Frost seemed to indicate in his presser that he was not that concerned about the WR position. I don't know if that is just coach speak or if he really means it and knows something we don't. But yeah... there was a glaring lack of a vertical passing game yesterday. Now was that by design because they had high regard for OSU's secondary and chose to go to the Tight Ends instead? Or were there plays called and run that were meant to go to the receivers but didn't because they weren't open and Martinez had to go to his secondary targets? That to me is the burning question.

Other teams seem to have zero problem getting their true freshman wide receivers into the mix. Are our true freshman not as good as advertised? And what the hell is the deal with Manning? It wasn't just injuries that slowed him down but also, according to Frost, some "personal issues." I for one would not be shocked if Manning never plays a down for us. I hope I am wrong, but either way we had better damn well find some guys not named Wandale who can stretch the field or we are looking at another losing season.

They had better figure out a way to get some resemblance of a vertical passing game, and get the RBs involved more than 14 carries/55 YPG. Otherwise, Martinez, McCaffrey, or both likely won't make it through the season, even an 8 game one. Even when the game was still close in the first half, Mills only had 6 carries, and I don't recall seeing Thompkins in the game until the 2nd half.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
They had better figure out a way to get some resemblance of a vertical passing game, and get the RBs involved more than 14 carries/55 YPG. Otherwise, Martinez, McCaffrey, or both likely won't make it through the season, even an 8 game one. Even when the game was still close in the first half, Mills only had 6 carries, and I don't recall seeing Thompkins in the game until the 2nd half.

Agreed we need to utilize our backs more in the future putting McCaffery at times at running back also cut down on opportunity’s for Mills and Thompkins...

At the moment I’m more concerned who we have at wideouts not named Robinson..

I agree with many of the positives that have been mentioned. And I have to admit that I was going into the game more cynical than I have ever been. A couple of other things

-- One one running play I saw not one but two pancake blocks. There were entire games last year when I'm pretty sure we didn't get two pancakes.

-- We actually didn't have LB's consistently filling the wrong hole. We may not have the most talented LB's, but they look like they know what they are doing for the first time in three years.

Nevertheless... It was obvious that Chinander's initial game plan was to have the DB's give a big cushion to keep from getting beat deep. Not crazy, as Fields showed over and over last year he ability to beat even good defenses deep. So a defensive game plan to allow short completions, and then hit the receiver hard, was reasonable. But it became obvious by the 2nd quarter that plan was not working. Fields was 100% on completions. The receiver were taking the hits and not dropping the pass or fumbling the ball. So something had to be changed. Logically, that was dialing up some pressure and allowing the DB's to come up and press. That might have resulted in some long completions, but at that point it was worth the gamble. What's that saying about insanity and doing the same thing but expecting a different result? But there were no significant changes. We threw a few blitzes in there, and they seemed to work. With their run game morbid, we should have been blitzing on virtually every play, from as many different angles and positions as possible until the run game gashed us. But nope. Once again, no significant adjustments from Chinander.

We are better

When it comes to rb, I think some of that was only to confuse. I think we need to run Mills more up the gut. I cringe seeing him run to the outside, as he doesn’t have the speed to call that. Thompkins looked great, but with his previous injuries, his physicality scares me.

Good news:

Minny sucks, like we all pretty much knew.
Wisconsin OL doesn't look impressive
PSU looks lame
Purdue/Iowa played a game that made me think I just watched the old College Gameday, where it ended and you missed the opening kickoff off of the lame ass 10:59am horrible Big Ten game.

I thought Minnesota looked decent. They definitely have some playmakers. Was surprised at how good Michigan (in particular their new QB looked).

Reactions: Redblood23
I think we're ok with the scheme offensively but need to find an identity and stop being gimmick dependent. Run Mills into the ground and play off of his and AM run game. Thought he could have had a big day yesterday if they stayed with him.

Use the TEs to stress the middle on play action and take your shots outside depending on how the defense adjusts to the run game. If you have to put Mccaffrey on the field put him at WR we have plenty of RBs.

I think we all know the WR situation is pathetic but I feel it's the coaches having to get out of there own way here. There's better talent on the roster and everyone knows it. Zero excuses...

Thought the defense was in position several times to get the offense back the ball but couldn't get off the field on 3rd downs. How many 2nd, 3rd and longs were converted with ease?

Bad defensive schemes and alignment at LB, CB and S cost us big time yesterday in these situations. Dismuke and Williams not getting enough depth and letting WRs get over the top way too much. LB turning their backs to the LOS in zone allowing easy crossing routes inexcusable.. CBs giving 10 cushions on 2nd, 3rd and longs...Bail techs..Why? Easy pitch and catches all day....

How is Chins making himself better during the off-season? Can he make the necessary adjustments?

Overall I think the team is better on the LOS but please get an identity and sure up the mistakes or we'll once again lose to teams we shouldn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: scarletred
We are better

I like most of your post. I think the Mccaffery at RB was just a way to get him on the field and get the ball in his hands. I don't think it's a knock on their starting RB. No way do I think Luke is a better RB than Mills or Thompkins. But at the moment he is more explosive.

I understood why they did it but to me it became a little too "cute" as the game went on.

Agreed completely on things about your coaching except maybe the WRs. Not sure if their is a WR coach in the world who is gonna coach up what we sent out there yesterday to be anything more than subpar. I won't put that on Lubick.

Holla

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
DL - Better
LB - Better
Secondary - Worse

OL - Better
RB - Was hoping for more. Talent is there but didn’t establish run.
TE - eh
WR - Ugly

ADVERTISEMENT